• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Embracer Group has acquired multiple companies.

acezam

Archivist
Genius Archivist

Limited Run Games

Singtrix

Tolkien

Tuxedo Labs

Tripwire Interactive

Last edited:
That aint even their biggest acquisition tonight. They seem to own the Lord of the Rings IP rights now.

I think the Tolkien IP is the biggest thing in this group of purchases, by far. I was under the impression this IP was family owned, but a Google check indicates that was no longer the case.

It’s crazy to me embracer got LotR and not anyone else. Like Amazon failed?!?!?
I'm still trying to process how WB let LotR go and went to Amazon, instead of the show being an HBO series for WB. So its kinda crazy that Embracer this company most people don't even exists, somehow acquire the LOTR IP rights before Amazon or WB could.

They now own Limited Run Games, Koch Media and THQ Nordic.

While I understand having small game studios run independently, publishers/distributors sound like the type of companies that would benefit immensely from sharing resources, so I don't understand their policy here. I get that Limited Run Games would benefit immensely from their impressive portfolio of smaller IPs, but why not merge some companies?

Btw, I bet they'll buy Unity sooner or later

I'm still trying to process how WB let LotR go and went to Amazon, instead of the show being an HBO series for WB. So its kinda crazy that Embracer this company most people don't even exists, somehow acquire the LOTR IP rights before Amazon or WB could.
WB is currently an indebted mess. They tried to sell off their gaming studio but-not-really and they are going to merge HBOmax and Discovery+. A rumor says they intend to reduce their investments on scripted content, which is what makes HBO great.

WB i can see not making a major purchase due to the current cost cutting. But everyone else? Something is afoot.

They've also bought Tatsujin!!! They now own Toaplan's entire library of classic shmups!

FaaomSSVUAEpW06

Madness! They actually managed to buy a Japanese company!!

All the talk of MS, Sony, Tencent as monopoly and then Embracer just and embrace all companies lol.

They sure are capitalizing the AA market. How big revenue side they were compared to other publishers? For me particularly it's wild that they can afford Middle Earth Enterprises.
Any indication on the price of these acquisitions?

They sure are capitalizing the AA market. How big revenue side they were compared to other publishers? For me particularly it's wild that they can afford Middle Earth Enterprises.
Any indication on the price of these acquisitions?
0.58 billion dollars they say, 600 million$ for everything, basically nothing

I am surprised that Amazon did not do that. Guess they are happy with just movies?
Middle-Earth Enterprises is strictly Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit (and the characters featured in them). Rights have to negotiated with the Tolkien estate for the remaining Tolkien series (like the Silmarillion) so, Amazon has established a relationship with the estate for future series. Also, it's just TV rights for Amazon as WB has retained the film rights for the time being.

Middle-Earth Enterprises selling for much less than a billion dollars is a steal. I'm totally shocked it didn't go for a higher price tag, or that it didn't spark a bidding war with another big company like Amazon, or heck even Comcast cause they'd be interested in the theme park rights. (WBD having huge issues with debt and cost cutting right now makes that one easy to rule out though)

They've also bought Tatsujin!!! They now own Toaplan's entire library of classic shmups!

Embracer Freemode press release mentions the newly acquired Bitwave Games is porting Toaplan games for PC, fingers crossed these are based on both the Toaplan Arcade Garage compilations released in Japan as part of M2 Shot Triggers line for PS4/Switch. Note that anti-abortion co-founder John Gibson will be 'pursuing opportunities outside of Tripwire'. 2 million sales for Chivalry 2.

Embracer Freemode press release mentions the newly acquired Bitwave Games is porting Toaplan games for PC, fingers crossed these are based on both the Toaplan Arcade Garage compilations released in Japan as part of M2 Shot Triggers line for PS4/Switch. Note that anti-abortion co-founder John Gibson will be 'pursuing opportunities outside of Tripwire'. 2 million sales for Chivalry 2.
They've already put Steam pages for 2 of the games and a press release and I don't think these games were featured in Shot Triggers. The trailer looks bare compared to the typical shot triggers release so, I suspect they are using their own emulator. Hopefully, they maintain their relationship with M2 so, they can continue to make more compilations outside of the PC ports.

FaaomSSVUAEpW06

Them getting Toaplan is crazy one. Like, i really don't see Embracer really caring for those really small niche IP but maybe they will surprise me with revival of many old Shmup ip there.

Back
Top Bottom