• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Dragon's Dogma II: An Exciting But Uncertain Future

Person

Disciple
Pronouns
He
Dragon's Dogma II is a sequel to Capcom's 2012 release, Dragon's Dogma, releasing on Windows, Xbox Series X|S, and PS5.

The original Dragon's Dogma was considered a success by Capcom. Released on May 22, 2012, the game quickly reached a bit over a million in shipped units as reported in the April-June financial report of that same year, buoyed by particularly strong performance in the Japanese market. The game received an expanded re-release in the form of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen in April of 2013, a Windows release in January of 2016. It also received PS4/Xbox ports in October of 2017, and Switch version in April 2019. This makes for a notable number of releases over the years, but no new entries. More notably, this is one of a few instances of games to release on the PS360 generation, not receive any new titles in the PS4/Xbox One generation, and come back with new entry for the current generation. This makes it an interesting one to watch.

Much has changed since the release of the original, more than a decade ago. The platforms that carried Dragon's Dogma to success in Japan are not what they once were. But the western appetite for Japanese/Asian games has also changed. Games like Elden Ring and Capcom's own Monster Hunter have seen explosive growth in new markets. But the biggest change of all has been the new status of Steam, its role in the gaming market.

Outside of all that, the biggest factor remains unknown: Game quality and timing. Will Capcom release a game of great quality that lands at the right time to find its audience? What do you guys think of DD2's prospects?

As a biased lover of the original title, I believe the OG has all the necessary ingredients that sets up a sequel for explosive growth. The dynamic play of the original paired with the popularization of similar games (and streamers who play them) bodes well for this game success... providing it delivers in quality.

PS: as we near its March 21st release, I'm gonna keep an eye on the Steam charts to see how well it climbs the wish-list and sales charts.

HC4rymOh.png

Weekly Charts

13 Feb — 20 February 2024: #80
20 Feb — 27 February 2024: #53
27 Feb — 5 March 2024: #21

Last edited:
I'm super curious how this game does, the first was an initial disappointment commercially (except in Japan) but it legged it's way to success with an expanded rerelease and later remasters. I feel like the game gained sort if a cult/legendary status in retrospect so I sort of expect more people to show up initially. Action CRPGs are also a lot bigger today than they were back when DD1 released and Capcom's recent track record is also quite good (ignore Exoprimal). I'm feeling more bullish on DD2.

Assuming the game ends up being very good/high quality, I think this will be yet another game that performs well beyond people's expectations on Steam.

I'm pretty confused about this game. It was in development forever, but it's just so close to the original that it's gotten a fair amount of criticism for feeling like a remake. The nonresponsive environments, bad art, and bad storytelling of the original (that got a lot of criticism) were not addressed... At all. And co-op was not added either.

I don't know what the plan for this game was, what the proposed budget was, or what happened in development.

I'm pretty confused about this game. It was in development forever, but it's just so close to the original that it's gotten a fair amount of criticism for feeling like a remake. The nonresponsive environments, bad art, and bad storytelling of the original (that got a lot of criticism) were not addressed... At all. And co-op was not added either.

I don't know what the plan for this game was, what the proposed budget was, or what happened in development.

Can't speak on the story but aside from a unlocked frame rate it seems like a technical showcase.

I think it has the potential to blow out on Steam.

Apparently a demo might release soon, interesting to see people's getting their hands on the title.

demos are such a weird thing, in a lot of cases i feel like theyre a bad thing as they tend to reduce hype and videogames are the ultimate hype based hobby. i think thats why you rarely see them anymore.

but in this game's case i feel like it could be a positive. remind people the game is out there and actually increase hype.

it's just a feel thing to me, i cant logically make the case why i feel like demos hurt some games sales and help others (and i dont necessarily think it's just as simple as good game=good demo=demo positive for sales and vice versa)

I think it has potential to be 2nd Fastest selling Capcom game ever after MHW

Based on the scale , I think If this one doesnt do Resident Evil Numbers ( 3Mish at launch , 5-6Mish first year ) , i fear Capcom will be even more selective and conservative in their releases

Based on Capcom expectations , they are expecting 9.3M for new titles in this FY , they did 5.9M up to Q3 , so they expect Dragon Dogma II + SF6 + Exoprimal + Megaman Collection+ Ace Attorney 4/5/6 to do 3.4M in Q4 , I think there is a separate internal expectations for Dragon Dogma II

Last edited:
The original Dragon's Dogma was considered a success by Capcom.
While they may have publicly said this, it really isn't true at all. DD1 took up aomost all of Capcom's internal devs and was in development for a long time. This led to Capcom having to outsource basically all of their games for years, which in combination of Inafune's rejection of Japanese-oriented games culminated in a dark period for the company as a whole. If it had been a real success sequels would have been greenñit immediately. Instead there was a small scale MMO that recycled basically all of the base game's content.

After Dark Arisen launched on PC thr game definitely gained a ton of popularity, but it was routinely on sale for ten bucks so revenue surely wasn't great.

With this sequel, you can tell they are once again reusing a ton of designs and assets from the original, which is very smart imo. Turning this into essentially a remake was the right choice. Capcom's learned a lot these 12 years, I'm sure they can get much closer to their vision this time. Let's just hope it doesn't bring them to the brink of bankruptcy again if it bombs.

I think it will do much better than the first one for the reasons you mentioned, japanese games doing much better nowadays and being a day 1 release on Steam is what will help it grow, however I definitely don't see it doing RE numbers, single player games do well on Steam but not to explosive levels, I see some maybe saying that Elden Ring, but that game was the culmination of the cultivation From did several games prior to that one.

It will definitely be successful.
I think it has potential to be 2nd Fastest selling Capcom game ever after MHW

Based on the scale , I think If this one doesnt do Resident Evil Numbers ( 3Mish at launch , 5-6Mish first year ) , i fear Capcom will be even more selective and conservative in their releases

Based on Capcom expectations , they are expecting 9.3M for new titles in this FY , they did 5.9M up to Q3 , so they expect Dragon Dogma II + SF6 + Exoprimal + Megaman Collection+ Ace Attorney 4/5/6 to do 3.4M in Q4 , I think there is a separate internal expectations for Dragon Dogma II
World shipped 5M first weekend and Rise 4M in a weekend, I definitely don't see DD2 surpassing either of those.

As stated several times in the past, I expect this game to blow up with the Soulsborne, Monster Hunter and Zelda audiences. I think it checks enough boxes to appeal to each of those massive audiences and is far enough from new entries in each of those franchises to tap into hunger for said games. I think when it's all said and done we should be looking at a 10M+ seller.

Game its going to be massive, im seeing a lot of casual audiences interested just because its the new medieval thing "not weeb" and they think its going to be like Elden Ring and even big streamers like Asmongold are hyping it up.

I can see it doing even better if its a 90+ on Metacritic. 4-5 million in the first week its what im expecting, just like Monster Hunter.
As stated several times in the past, I expect this game to blow up with the Soulsborne, Monster Hunter and Zelda audiences. I think it checks enough boxes to appeal to each of those massive audiences and is far enough from new entries in each of those franchises to tap into hunger for said games. I think when it's all said and done we should be looking at a 10M+ seller.
I dont see any kind of overlap with the Zelda audience tbh, different audience that play just on Nintendo consoles and these games are not similar at all

I dont see any kind of overlap with the Zelda audience tbh, different audience that play just on Nintendo consoles and these games are not similar at all
Open world action adventure RPGs all kind of fall into the same audience pile. That's why games like DDDA, Skyrim, TW3, Hogwarts, RDR, etc are also doing well on Switch, Zelda definitely hits some of the same beats.

Is there any reason to think this will score better than Dark Arisen did (81).

This one doesn't seem to be very ambitious at all in terms of meaningfully changing the game.

Game its going to be massive, im seeing a lot of casual audiences interested just because its the new medieval thing "not weeb" and they think its going to be like Elden Ring and even big streamers like Asmongold are hyping it up.

I can see it doing even better if its a 90+ on Metacritic. 4-5 million in the first week its what im expecting, just like Monster Hunter.

Most Zelda fans don't play just on Switch, some might, but don't think most of them sit there and wait for a Zelda game to drop every 6 years. I think they have a really good overlap with the Soulsborne audience because DS took several inspirations from Zelda. Out of those three I would agree Zelda is possibly the lesser contributor, but it's still a factor, Zelda is easily the most aproachable game out of them, so someone who wasn't familiar with OW games might feel more confident about playing DD2. What's the appeal? Fighting massive monsters you can climb on in a Fantasy Open World where goofy stuff can happen and lots of secrets can be found. Maybe I'm off, but I think some of the new Zelda fans do find that appealing.

Is there any reason to think this will score better than Dark Arisen did (81).

This one doesn't seem to be very ambitious at all in terms of meaningfully changing the game.
I think at face value that might be the case but they're tweaking a lot of things, barring the visuals (which have greatly improved, if anything look at the lighting and effects) they are overhauling the combat, adding new classes, improving pawn AI, making the map 4 times as big as the original. They are being very secretive about the game and the general consensus among fans seems to be they are hiding the true scope of the game be it in class numbers and new areas that haven't been shown (think of Nintendo hiding the Depths with TotK). Also sometimes great games get lower reviews because they are ahead of their time, Demon Souls probably would have scored higher if people realized the influence it would have on the industry. I think DD2 is scoring an 87/88 at worst.

Capcom is firing on all cylinders these days so their brand will also help float Dragons Dogma 2 upwards.

I have my doubts, the initial reveals + hands on weren't all that interesting (saying that it's a bit too similar), adding that this is a $70 dollar game which is coming from one that did big when it hit the bargain bin. Also not being multiplayer in 2024 sounds a bit of an issue for the streaming/fomo end of things which are the ones driving most of the sales of this "kinda" undergrond games.

I have my doubts, i loved the original and i have no desire for this one at $70 from what i've seen.

Who knows i guess

Also sometimes great games get lower reviews because they are ahead of their time, Demon Souls probably would have scored higher if people realized the influence it would have on the industry. I think DD2 is scoring an 87/88 at worst.

What? I guess that clear things up for me, at least. I was wondering why so many imo 70-ish games got overrated to the 90-ish constantly these days, so it's because they are popular from the big publishers and that they are influential? So popular games get rated higher just because they are popular, not because of its own quality? Wish I knew this a lot sooner.

Good for me though, as an investor I hope Capcom stock get back to the all-time high soon, just about 10% to go. If the Dragon's Dogma IP really become as big as the Monster Hunter IP like the people are expecting here, damn its stock is still pretty cheap imo.

Most Zelda fans don't play just on Switch, some might, but don't think most of them sit there and wait for a Zelda game to drop every 6 years. I think they have a really good overlap with the Soulsborne audience because DS took several inspirations from Zelda. Out of those three I would agree Zelda is possibly the lesser contributor, but it's still a factor, Zelda is easily the most aproachable game out of them, so someone who wasn't familiar with OW games might feel more confident about playing DD2. What's the appeal? Fighting massive monsters you can climb on in a Fantasy Open World where goofy stuff can happen and lots of secrets can be found. Maybe I'm off, but I think some of the new Zelda fans do find that appealing.

I think at face value that might be the case but they're tweaking a lot of things, barring the visuals (which have greatly improved, if anything look at the lighting and effects) they are overhauling the combat, adding new classes, improving pawn AI, making the map 4 times as big as the original. They are being very secretive about the game and the general consensus among fans seems to be they are hiding the true scope of the game be it in class numbers and new areas that haven't been shown (think of Nintendo hiding the Depths with TotK). Also sometimes great games get lower reviews because they are ahead of their time, Demon Souls probably would have scored higher if people realized the influence it would have on the industry. I think DD2 is scoring an 87/88 at worst.

Demon's Souls has an 89 on Metacritic (the PS3 game)

23 days away.

Cihb7HOh.png

Waiting for that supposed demo to appear. There's still plenty of time for one.

23 days away.
Waiting for that supposed demo to appear. There's still plenty of time for one.

May I suggest tracking the Pre-orders and they're doing on a week to week basis until release.
For example, for the week of Feb 13rd to Feb 20th Dragon's Dogma 2 was #53 on the Global List.
It was #80 the previous week.

Definitely hoping for a demo because I am worried about PC performance since this is the first open world RE Engine game.

Yeah, this is going to be an interesting release.

As pointed out by @Evilnemesis8 in the Steam tracking thread Dragon's Dogma 2's preorders are picking up pace, currently #22 on the best sellers, that's including a few games on Sale (notably SF6, Monster Hunter World and Iceborne, all from the Capcom sale XD ).

I wanted to track the preorders on Amazon too but since they started a while ago I doubt they're gonna be very interesting for the next couple weeks. Also Germany doesn't have it listed outside of a PEGI PS5 version for some reason (?)

Going by the PSN US charts, it looks like DD2 its going to do well but not as much as the Steam version, by the looks of it.

Up to #21 in the weekly sales chart.

13 Feb — 20 February 2024: #80
20 Feb — 27 February 2024: #53
27 Feb — 5 March 2024: #21

Previews are landing today and they’re universally positive, even with the caveat that previews hedge to some degree. Really effusive praise.

there's some pushback from the audience about the game being an uncapped 30fps on consoles. don't think this will affect things too much, but it could have a knock-on effect towards pc performance

there's some pushback from the audience about the game being an uncapped 30fps on consoles. don't think this will affect things too much, but it could have a knock-on effect towards pc performance
It's an RE Engine game, we already know it's gonna have fucked up FPS issues at 60 and above on PC.

Back
Top Bottom