• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Cyberpunk 2077 sells 25+ million; Phantom Liberty (DLC) sells 5+ million.

Remember_spinal

Disciple
And over 3 million for Phantom Liberty

68% of sales were on PC

F7roBwObcAAGre9

Estimated Phantom Liberty budget:

275 million Zloty for dev = $63 million

95 million Zloty for marketing = $22 million

They've put in a lot of work to turn Cyberpunk around. Kudos for rebuilding trust and competency with your players.

In return, customers clearly responded to the game and expansions.

I'll get the game one day. Need to see what the mod community is working on...

Gsme is clearly on track to sell over 40 million

The 25 was mostly achieved on PC and it hasn’t had any deep discounts yet (it’s typically 50% only). While at some point in time you could grab a PS4/Xbone copy for $10 at Best Buy these have long been gone since.

For some reason I thought Phantom Liberty was a free addition like all the big No Man's Sky patches. Shows how much I've been keeping up with it.

Anyway congrats to CDPR, I would say well deserved but I didn't love Cyberpunk. Though I've heard nothing but good things about Phantom Liberty, I may jump in to give it a shot, though a little less likely now that I know it's paid DLC. Certainly consider it once discounted however.

For some reason I thought Phantom Liberty was a free addition like all the big No Man's Sky patches. Shows how much I've been keeping up with it.

Anyway congrats to CDPR, I would say well deserved but I didn't love Cyberpunk. Though I've heard nothing but good things about Phantom Liberty, I may jump in to give it a shot, though a little less likely now that I know it's paid DLC. Certainly consider it once discounted however.

It is very much worth the 30 dollars. A lot of care went into making it feel more like a streamlined blockbuster spy movie. The updated gameplay mechanics add a lot to the experience also.

Phantom Liberty is a paid expansion pack, but they did release a very large free update for the base game 5 days before it.

Edit: I wonder if that budget number includes the 2.0 update or if it is strictly for PL.

Cyberpunk 2077 reached 20M sold by Sep 2022 so it sold 5M in the last year. Legs are very strong now that the game is largely fixed.

CD Project Red sales are always a bit weird because they are super aggressive with sales and push their games out for very little.

• 13M in 10 days [Dec 2020]
  • 15-6M in the launch period [Jan 2021]
  • 2-3M in 14 months later [April 2022]
  • 2M in 5 months later [Sept 2022]
  • 5M in 1 year 1 month [Oct 2023]
Legs have picked up from 2-3M a year+ to 5M this prior 12 month period, however this is accounting for the anime and sale boost. Hard to know if the boost has led to a baseline increase.

3M for PL is okay, like compared to other DLC its great, but C2077 isn't just another game. It had 13M in 10 days. Legs may lead to a more impressive ltd.

C2077 End of 2021 split:
  • PC: 11.4m units (64%)
  • PS: 3.3m units (18%)
  • Xbox: 3.3m units (18%)
PL split:
  • PC: 2.04M units (68%)
  • PS5: 0.6m units (20%)
  • Xbox: 0.36m units (13%)
Witcher 3 had ~50% console/PC split. Also looks like Playstation is heading back to the 60:40/2:1 split from Xbox.

Transmedia push will continue to sell it until the sequel comes out. Feel like its guaranteed to hit 40 mil

seems like xbox share is quite strong in this game. crazy to even imagine a 1:1 xb : ps split on the initial game. but 13% on pl is also very strong 39% console share.

but i guess looking from above, VERY PC focused. if they are trying for mainstream megahit gta style sales as cdpr does, they need higher console sales.

F7rnyd9a4AAvyla

Last edited:
seems like xbox share is quite strong in this game. crazy to even imagine a 1:1 xb : ps split on the initial game. but 13% on pl is also very strong 39% console share.

but i guess looking from above, VERY PC focused. if they are trying for mainstream megahit gta style sales as cdpr does, they need higher console sales.

F7rnyd9a4AAvyla

C2077 was taken down on PSN remember. The game also likely leans US/UK more on the console side.
20:13 is 60:40 which is around the installbase of US/UK. WW at the moment is ~65:35

C2077 was taken down on PSN remember. The game also likely leans US/UK more on the console side.
20:13 is 60:40 which is around the installbase of US/UK. WW at the moment is ~65:35
Microsoft also had the marketing deal on the original release. Though PC RPGs have always done relatively well on Xbox commercially.

F7roBwObcAAGre9

Despite Cyberpunk being fully fixed and playing very well on PS5/XBS, it seems its sales are trending even stronger toward PC with that Phantom Liberty platform split. The fact that GOG sales alone nearly match XBS sales is kinda crazy.

At this point, CDPR and Blizzard must be the publishers with the most PC-oriented audiences (among publishers who release games on both PC and console).

F7roBwObcAAGre9

Despite Cyberpunk being fully fixed and playing very well on PS5/XBS, it seems its sales are trending even stronger toward PC with that Phantom Liberty platform split. The fact that GOG sales alone nearly match XBS sales is kinda crazy.

At this point, CDPR and Blizzard must be the publishers with the most PC-oriented audiences (among publishers who release games on both PC and console).
And Larian ! ;)

Microsoft also had the marketing deal on the original release. Though PC RPGs have always done relatively well on Xbox commercially.

Yeah marketing likely pushed it a couple of percentages in favour of xbox.

WRPGS used to do especially well on Xbox due to history but the PS4 gen reversed it from what I see.
Witcher 3:
  • 5.8M XB
  • 14.45M PS
70% ratio, inline or even greater than the hardware ratio.

Very happy that a great game sees success. I don't even know when to get Phantom Liberty, though, because there's so much waiting to play (100%ing TotK, Starfield, Baten Kaitos, etc.).

Hopefully CDPR are already working on a direct sequel, the end of CP2077 is actually more like the real beginning, similar to Xenoblade X 😅😭🙈

I'm ... actually pretty surprised it took so long to get to 25 million, to be honest. I get 3 years isn't that long and it still makes it one of the most successful games of all time but still. I think I forgot the launch wasn't higher.

Very happy that a great game sees success. I don't even know when to get Phantom Liberty, though, because there's so much waiting to play (100%ing TotK, Starfield, Baten Kaitos, etc.).

Hopefully CDPR are already working on a direct sequel, the end of CP2077 is actually more like the real beginning, similar to Xenoblade X 😅😭🙈
Sequel's name is Orion

i think they havent even really started on orion as it'll be all hands on witcher 3. which itself of course will be in dev for many years.

just with game dev times as scary long as they are now, even a decade may not see orion.

after i posted my comment i remembered the cyberpunk themed xbox. how it still came out in june after the game was delayed, what a cluster. i thought about buying one at the time for collectors/resale value.

Last edited:
Phantom Liberty is a paid expansion pack, but they did release a very large free update for the base game 5 days before it.

Edit: I wonder if that budget number includes the 2.0 update or if it is strictly for PL.

Answering my own question here. It does not: https://www.ign.com/articles/cd-pro...ion-turning-cyberpunk-2077-around-post-launch

"Chief financial officer Piotr Nielubowicz also said during the CD Projekt Investor Day presentation that bringing Cyberpunk up to next-gen console standards, presumably including the game-changing Update 2.0, cost 178 million Polish Zloty (around $40.9 million)."

Edit: I had no idea CP2077 cost over 300 million to make.

Answering my own question here. It does not: https://www.ign.com/articles/cd-pro...ion-turning-cyberpunk-2077-around-post-launch

"Chief financial officer Piotr Nielubowicz also said during the CD Projekt Investor Day presentation that bringing Cyberpunk up to next-gen console standards, presumably including the game-changing Update 2.0, cost 178 million Polish Zloty (around $40.9 million)."

Edit: I had no idea CP2077 cost over 300 million to make.
This means the total cost of Cyberpunk was 442 million dollars. Kinda insane.

I still think putting it on last gen consoles was the biggest mistake they made. They might have gotten more upfront sales but it cost them a lot of resources and time to make them playable.

They could have even released an additional DLC if not for that

i think they havent even really started on orion as it'll be all hands on witcher 3. which itself of course will be in dev for many years.

just with game dev times as scary long as they are now, even a decade may not see orion.

after i posted my comment i remembered the cyberpunk themed xbox. how it still came out in june after the game was delayed, what a cluster. i thought about buying one at the time for collectors/resale value.

They want to do proper multi game development so I expect most of the CP2077 team to move on to Orion.
The Polaris team is looking fine in term of size for where it is in development.

I guess we just have to wait for the next half year report to see how the very nice colorful bars move.

cdp-h1-teams.jpg

Yeah marketing likely pushed it a couple of percentages in favour of xbox.

WRPGS used to do especially well on Xbox due to history but the PS4 gen reversed it from what I see.
Witcher 3:
  • 5.8M XB
  • 14.45M PS
70% ratio, inline or even greater than the hardware ratio.
PS4 definitely did a lot for CRPGs in Sony's ecosystem after PS3 kinda sputtered (PS4 also sold a ton of Skyrim) but TW3 is sort of a unique case. Upfront it was overwhelmingly weighted towards PS4, even above PC, but as time went on Playstion's legs have proven proportionately weaker than PC (which took over and then some) and really even weaker than Xbox relatively. It had a big moment upfront though.

Sales comparisons by ratio:

YearPCPSXboxNintendo
202264%17%13%6%
202164%19%11%6%
202052%31%7%9%
201953%26%10%11%
201854%33%13%-
201750%35%15%-
201643%42%14%-
201531%48%20%-

Still in 2x profit even if they made average of $35 on every copy sold. And it will continue to sell while development team move to work on Witcher 4. The problem with Cyberpunk was reputation hit CD toke.

They also made enough money from it to keep developing to fix it. Many big games fail to sell from start and then are forgotten about.

+ Bethesda Game Studios.

I also won't be surprised if From Software and Capcom PC/console ratio ends up being 50/50 in a couple of years.

GACOcPzW0AAVe_a

Source:

That 20% figure is quite the generous estimate since the base game sold over 25 million copies.

20% just sounds much better than 17.2%

i must be the only person who loves campaign dlc. i wanted halo infinite campaign dlc so badly, enjoyed gears 5 hivebusters etc.

it's well established each dlc seemingly sells less than the last. as we see with only a ~20% conversion rate on cyberpunk. and why devs dont do it much.

i must be the only person who loves campaign dlc. i wanted halo infinite campaign dlc so badly, enjoyed gears 5 hivebusters etc.

it's well established each dlc seemingly sells less than the last. as we see with only a ~20% conversion rate on cyberpunk. and why devs dont do it much.

Lots of people like Campaign DLC, but you have to remember that a lot of people never finish games, and all of those are fairly unlikely to buy story DLC which comes after.
If I look at Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam, 36.8% of owners have finished the main storyline.

5 million copies sold after 3/4 months is an impressive number, what are you talking about? Cyberpunk 2077 needed nearly 3 years to sell 25 million units....

5 milllion copies is insane.

Outside of multiplayer seasonal updates/expansions. How many people actually return for DLC?

5 million copies sold after 3/4 months is an impressive number, what are you talking about? Cyberpunk 2077 needed nearly 3 years to sell 25 million units....

Yes 25m of the main game and only 5m for the DLC. Even if the lifetime DLC sales double it'll still be 40% (the main game will keep selling too, probably even outpacing the dlc from this point forward). Each DLC sells much less than the main game and declines with each installment historically.

i love campaign dlc specifically but i understand why its rare. i really desired halo infinite campaign dlc but none is coming.

phantom liberty in particular appears quite costly with idris alba etc.

I bought the game+dlc and have been really enjoying my time with the game. Really happy I started now and not, say, 2020 when the game was a mess.

The dlc has a lot of unique situations and things to do despite being very (very) chatty. So count me as someone who's enjoying their time in Night City and Dogtown.

(Are there any RPGs that you can actually make positive changes? The atmosphere is amazing but the game is so heavy and grim. I just want to be a goody goody ya know?)

I bought the game+dlc and have been really enjoying my time with the game. Really happy I started now and not, say, 2020 when the game was a mess.

The dlc has a lot of unique situations and things to do despite being very (very) chatty. So count me as someone who's enjoying their time in Night City and Dogtown.

(Are there any RPGs that you can actually make positive changes? The atmosphere is amazing but the game is so heavy and grim. I just want to be a goody goody ya know?)

The Cyberpunk genre don’t usually have overly optimistic or alturstic themes

You have to explore the indie space for games like that. Citizen Sleeper for instance, starts out grim but through evolving relationships to let you live and build a community

The Cyberpunk genre don’t usually have overly optimistic or alturstic themes

For sure. And I'm not even knocking the game for it. Cyberpunks worldbuilding is probably the best I've ever experienced in gaming. Night City is so incredibly realized.

It's just that I need a pick-me-up after this game. I want to take grandmas across the street, start an orphanage, and pick flowers after the brutal dehumanization of the world of Cyberpunk haha.

I think this is my favorite song from the ost. The cello is incredibly haunting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom