• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Call of Duty will start coming to Nintendo platforms [Update: ABK Acquisition Approved]

Two things I'm wondering about with regards to the value of Call of Duty to platform holders:

1. How much money did Sony pay Activision in order to secure exclusive marketing rights for CoD?
  2. The PS4 outsold the Xbox One by a large margin. Was the CoD marketing deal a significant factor in Sony winning that gen? There were certainly other reasons I can think of, like the disastrous launch of the Xbox One, so I'm not sure if Call of Duty was important or not.

Two things I'm wondering about with regards to the value of Call of Duty to platform holders:

1. How much money did Sony pay Activision in order to secure exclusive marketing rights for CoD?
  2. The PS4 outsold the Xbox One by a large margin. Was the CoD marketing deal a significant factor in Sony winning that gen? There were certainly other reasons I can think of, like the disastrous launch of the Xbox One, so I'm not sure if Call of Duty was important or not.
I think it was a second or third reason.

The first one was their mistakes and Sony focusing on their mistakes.

The reason why Nintendo immediately sign that deal with MS is because it carry no risk at all on Nintendo sides but bring huge revenue to its platform while decreasing the revenue other platform holder gets.

If the deal with Acti consist of Nintendo giving them bigger split, i doubt Nintendo will want to do that as they have shown this whole Switch era that even withou Acti big support and 0 CoD. They have now reach the third best selling consoles ever with it having sold 1billion software as well the first in Nintendo history.

At this point, i think Nintendo is going to stand firm on their winning formula for next gen.

It's pretty clear that both Xbox and Playstation desperately need Call of Duty on their platforms based on 1) their filings during the acquisition and 2) bending the knee regarding the revenue split. I'm curious who could get that revenue split from Nintendo. Monster Hunter? Dragon Quest?
I expect both those series do get more favorable splits (along with other incentives like marketing support, overseas publishing/distribution deals, dev support, etc) but they're not important enough to get the overall publisher 80/20 split we're talking about. Few 3rd party games are in general (maybe just COD or FIFA?) and literally none for Nintendo specifically.

Last edited:
Activision CEO Bobby Kotick on Call of Duty for Nintendo platforms
During day 4 of the FTC vs. Microsoft trial, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick was called upon to testify through Zoom. The questions he was asked provide a great deal of insight into what kind of engagement Call of Duty sees across all its platforms, as well as his thoughts on the Nintendo Switch and why CoD isn't on there.

Most of this is from journalist Derek Strickland's excellent coverage of the trial with additional reporting from VGC. I've summarized the pertinent parts of Kotick's testimony below. In some places, the questions have been slightly reworded to make it clear what exactly he was being asked.

Before you read on, please note that Bobby Kotick wants the Microsoft/ABK deal to go through, and that this does influence his statements.

Call of Duty has 100 million monthly active users (MAUs) between mobile and console. How many play every single day?
70 million. 90% of people that play are not on Call of Duty every day.

What % of players does each platform represent?
The bulk of players are playing on phones. Then you have probably 25% on PC, and then there's probably say 15-16% play on PlayStation, 7-8% that play on Xbox.

How much revenue does Call of Duty make on PlayStation vs. Xbox?
I would say PlayStation revenues are more than twice Xbox revenues.

Why Call of Duty isn't on Nintendo Switch:
I made a bad judgement. When I had seen the prototype of the Switch, it was different then when I saw the prototype of the Wii [and] I thought it was the most extraordinary video game system ever created. When I saw the prototypes for Switch, I was concerned because they were trying to accomplish a lot with a console that also had a portable capability. I didn’t think it was going to be wildly successful.

Would Activision consider putting Call of Duty on future Nintendo platforms even without the Microsoft acquisition?
I think it's possible, we'd consider the specs. [Kotick is then asked to elaborate] Like I said, once we have the detailed specifications. We missed out on this past generation on Switch, I would like to think we'd be able to do that, but we'd have to wait for specs. We dont have any present plans to do so.

An excerpt of an email between Kotick and Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa is shown. Bobby Kotick is then pressed further on his thoughts on whether they could provide a compelling Call of Duty game for a next-generation Switch device:
Given closer alignment of Gen8 platforms and our previous offerings on PS4 [and] Xbox One, it's reasonable to assume we can make something compelling for [next generation] Switch as well.

So, to summarize everything we've heard these past two weeks (and some more info for context):
  • CoD was originally not on Switch because the prototype Nintendo showed Activision didn't convince them of its success
  • The reason CoD is not on Switch today is because Activision doesn't feel it's worth the effort at this stage
  • CoD could be on a next-generation Switch, provided the specs allow for it
  • 51% of CoD players are presently on mobile; 25% are on PC; 15-16% are on PlayStation; and 7-8% are on Xbox
    • If/when a Nintendo platform is added to this equation, it would be interesting to see if the Nintendo device in question grows the total number of players, or whether it takes share away from a couple of the other platforms.

Note: The questions above were not asked in succession. They are from different parts of the testimony.

Last edited:
Last time it came under discussion, the timeline under proposal was different, and the remedies under discussion were different. Now the only remedy seems to be to do with cloud via EU, so if it closes there probably is nothing formally related to console stuff. That'll be down to specific contracts.

It seems plausible therefore that the older idea of jumping straight to Switch 2 support and ignoring Switch 1 (except maybe by cloud) has some merit. If Microsoft closes in the coming weeks after success in American courts (big if), and then survives litigation against the CMA for closing, it'll be too soon to port a day and date native MW3 to Switch this year. And if they don't close until after a successful appeal to CAT and whatever else, that's months more potentially.

I think by CoD 2024, they'd have about a year, which might be enough time for native ports, but it'd be much much easier to do a port to the more powerful hardware only. And if they aren't specifically bound to do Switch 1 by anything, ehhhh.

CoD is alot bigger on mobile and PC than I ever expected. I thought consoles would have had much more of that overall share considering how much larger Fortnite is on Playstation compared to PC and mobile.

Edit: It being so large on mobile actually makes me happy because CoD Mobile is so much better due to being like a compilation of the old maps. Would rather have it on Switch than getting the new games because just can't tolerate some of the newer maps.

@Tiddums Don't think a MW3 is due this year, some type of expansion I think. Its actually aligning perfectly for Switch's successor. CoD 2024 should be from the Black Ops (Treyarch) team, whom have historically been much more willing supporters of Nintendo's platform.

Last edited:
They will port mobile version. Don't expect them to port mainline COD without serious compromises. Switch 2 is releasing in 2024 with PS4/one power, from 2025 must of engines will be optimized for next gen and that will make Switch 2 ports quite hard. It will be another Switch situation but with better initial support from 3rd parties.

They will port mobile version. Don't expect them to port mainline COD without serious compromises. Switch 2 is releasing in 2024 with PS4/one power, from 2025 must of engines will be optimized for next gen and that will make Switch 2 ports quite hard. It will be another Switch situation but with better initial support from 3rd parties.
not really how engines work these days. engines are designed to be scalable. especially now that they're so agnostic. with Drake supporting all the same features, engines aren't going to be the problem

The performance gap will be smaller with Switch's successor even just based on the leaked Drake specs we know. Your argument makes more sense for Switch 1 currently.

not really how engines work these days. engines are designed to be scalable. especially now that they're so agnostic. with Drake supporting all the same features, engines aren't going to be the problem

Series S is struggling to keep up with Series X/PS5 in multiplatform games despite lower resolution. They promised parity apart from resolution but now we see developers actually have to lower effects, texture quality etc to run on Series S.

Series S is struggling to keep up with Series X/PS5 in multiplatform games despite lower resolution. They promised parity apart from resolution but now we see developers actually have to lower effects, texture quality etc to run on Series S.
yea, they definitely didn't design the hardware to merely be a resolution drop so that's an L on MS. but that also shows that the engines aren't going to be a problem

I think they should port something old or make something exclusive for the Switch to garner goodwill with any potential consumers. Then stay up to date with Switch 2.

It's too late to make anything new. Getting Warzone Mobile running would be the best course of action. Granted, anything on Switch wouldn't be long for this world

So we can assume now this is officially happening?
we don't know starting from what and when, if will be Switch or Switch 2, COD mobile, existing main episodes, brand new ones...but COD SHOULD come to Nintendo console in the next few years, with the deal closing, right?
I mean: they signed a contract, I expect it to have many clauses, but still be somehow "reliable"

Its official as long as nothing blindsides us lol like @ILikeFeet just said. CMA does seem to be working something out, so as long as CMA corporates, MS will likely get to work asap on that port to Switch.

so now, based on the agreement signed, it's official: CoD is coming back to Nintendo (TBD if it's Switch or REDACTED)

my expectations still are
  • ports of old CoDs to switch. maybe the original Modern Warfare trilogy
  • Warzone mobile to Switch?
  • Warzone 2.0 and 2024 CoD to drake

Despite this being talked about for some time, it only recently crossed my mind that the Switch 2 will be the first platform to receive mainline Pokemon + feature parity COD (DS also got COD but it definitely wasn't comparable to the PS360 versions). Will be quite interesting to see how MS + Nintendo go about cultivating that audience.

I would love to see all the old CoDs ported but I don't see how without them flooding the market. Probably just going to start from here. Warzone 2.0 and the yearly releases starting with whatever Treyarch has with next year. Treyarch is the team that kept porting the CoDs to Wii so this is perfect timing.

Last edited:
Despite this being talked about for some time, it only recently crossed my mind that the Switch 2 will be the first platform to receive mainline Pokemon + feature parity COD (DS also got COD but it definitely wasn't comparable to the PS360 versions). Will be quite interesting to see how MS + Nintendo go about cultivating that audience.
cod-vs-pokemon.jpg

fr this is actually exciting. and it's happening!

question is, does that mean new games or ports of old games?
The quote says it will look different than "other platforms" and the other platforms don't receive the old games, so I would assume they are talking about the newer games. There is essentially no time to release the older games because CoD is annual, releasing a legacy game and a new title in the same year might be overkill and saturate the market which is already smaller due to games not releasing there to begin with.

Last edited:
question is, does that mean new games or ports of old games?
That is indeed a good question and one that can only be answered when they do it. If they do an older game wonder which one they would do it with; if with a newer game if it will be day & date or a late port.

Activision dumping the CoD back catalogue on Switch in the next 2 years and launching the 2024 game D1 on the Succ wouldn't shock me.

The quote says it will look different than "other platforms" and the other platforms don't receive the old games, so I would assume they are talking about the newer games. There is essentially no time to release the older games because CoD is annual, releasing a legacy game and a new title in the same year might be overkill and saturate the market which is already smaller due to games not releasing there to begin with.
an older game is probably easier to port than a newer game. unless they want to MK1 next year's CoD. a proper port of that that runs better than MK1 is gonna take a lot of time that I don't think they have

an older game is probably easier to port than a newer game. unless they want to MK1 next year's CoD. a proper port of that that runs better than MK1 is gonna take a lot of time that I don't think they have
Obviously but it also heavily restrains the amount of money you could have made by putting in the effort. Ports simply don't sell as much as new games. Microsoft has the resources to port to Switch so time should be no issue. At some point you have to realize only people with too much time on the internet care about the performance as much as you do. Most people expect worse performance on Switch but are willing to accept this due to maybe it being good enough for them to get it on Switch. MK1 received a patch fixing quite of few of the issues and it won't be the last. That's why its on Switch, its something they plan on making money from, so patching later has incentives. Fortnite also ran poorly and got updates and has made millions. Microsoft cares about the making millions, not people on the internet that cry over things they have no intention in buying, why it matters to them this much about CoD being played on Switch by others is weird.

Last edited:
If Switch 2 is already on the market I don't think either Xbox or Nintendo will force the issue, and I don't think any eyebrows would be raised if it hits Switch 2 and not Switch.
I don’t think the words are binding either but it will be interesting to see what form they take if they do decide to put it on Switch 1

Obviously but it also heavily restrains the amount of money you could have made by putting in the effort. Ports simply don't sell as much as new games. Microsoft has the resources to port to Switch so time should be no issue. At some point you have to realize only people with too much time on the internet care about the performance as much as you do. MK1 received a patch fixing quite of few of the issues and it won't be the last. That's why its on Switch, its something they plan on making money from, so patching later has incentives. Fortnite also ran poorly and got updates and has made millions. Microsoft cares about the making millions, not people on the internet that cry over things they have no intention in buying, why it matters to them this much about CoD being played on Switch by other is weird.
all those games didn't come out at the same time as a new system. CoD 2024 does. if the agreement allows, it's easier of the developers to forego Switch to work on Drake and you'd have a much easier time avoiding all the problems you bring up. it's not like making millions crossed ABK's mind since they never bother to port CoD to switch prior till now.

all those games didn't come out at the same time as a new system. CoD 2024 does. if the agreement allows, it's easier of the developers to forego Switch to work on Drake and you'd have a much easier time avoiding all the problems you bring up. it's not like making millions crossed ABK's mind since they never bother to port CoD to switch prior till now.
A new system still has the issue of having a small userbase, which also limits your potential sales. Which do you think Microsoft cares about more, sales or "development issues"? They will patch if it needs patching, making money comes before all of that. Not sure why you bring up ABK, because ABK no longer calls the shots. You are also talking about the CoD studio that had no problem porting to a weaker console in Wii(Treyarch). Microsoft ported Vigor to Switch before Playstation, you are greatly underestimating how much this company hates Sony. That's also why I do think we might see MS port to Switch, they want to get as many consumers away from PS as possible.

if the experience is bad, then you're not getting those sales anyway. if they're starting now, will they have enough time to make a quality port? because if the answer is no, then that's wasted time. small userbases hurt, but considering this game will be supported until the next year, it'll grow as Drake does while Switch will only decline.

I still maintain ports of older games still fit within the definitions of the agreement. it also doesn't put them on a strict time table. we seen how some of the older games still have life in them even after new games release so it's not like Switch players will be devoid of matches thanks to their age

They can release a Modern Warfare Remastered trilogy at Switch 1.

Then COD2024 (I think its a Black Ops 6) + Warzone 2.0 at NG launch date.

Remasters soonish with the new mainline game in 2025 is what I think will happen.

I don't think it will have time to launch CoD 2024 in the New Switch on day one because I assume the work on Nintendo version didn't even started.

I don't think it will have time to launch CoD 2024 in the New Switch on day one because I assume the work on Nintendo version didn't even started.
Phil previously said they'll start when they seal the deal. but with the way Kotick was talking about how they don't want to make the same mistake, I'd figure Activision would start on a Drake port of CoD 2024 before the the merger was approved

Even if they started now, I find it hard to believe they couldn't get it ported to Drake day and date. A port to Switch I admit could take longer but if MS wants it, they'll put in the resources. The experience being "bad" hasn't stopped other games from succeeding on Switch. Fortnite, Apex, and Overwatch all have not so "ideal experiences" but continue to get supported due to consumers spending. The unfortunate thing for the older CoDs is that they lack cross play, so Switch players would be devoid of matches especially if they flood the market with them.

if the experience is bad, then you're not getting those sales anyway. if they're starting now, will they have enough time to make a quality port? because if the answer is no, then that's wasted time. small userbases hurt, but considering this game will be supported until the next year, it'll grow as Drake does while Switch will only decline.

Will the experience be bad? How is that a foregone conclusion? If they give the porting time sufficient resources, the experience will probably be very good. We haven't seen anything on PS5 or Series X that can't be done on Switch with some graphical compromises that nobody notices when they play the game. Doom Eternal is more graphically advanced than the COD games and you notice the compromises in still frames. During gameplay, it's still Doom Eternal and fun.

Will the experience be bad? How is that a foregone conclusion? If they give the porting time sufficient resources, the experience will probably be very good. We haven't seen anything on PS5 or Series X that can't be done on Switch with some graphical compromises that nobody notices when they play the game. Doom Eternal is more graphically advanced than the COD games and you notice the compromises in still frames. During gameplay, it's still Doom Eternal and fun.
we haven't seen anything, but that doesn't mean all games gotten the care needed to best suit the hardware. I never said it's a foregone conclusion, I said I don't think MS will see the effort to be worth it in the time available over porting an older game which could have an easier time and won't be as rushed to hit release date as the other games

Those series of quote starting all the always from the No Man's Sky developer really shows that are just too many SKUs right now. Like holy cow, that alone is a big reason to abandon the PS4 and Xbox One at this point.
Hard to do with Warzone being in the equation. It's the same reason why none of the other big F2P GAAS titles have cut old gen support.

Back
Top Bottom