• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Bad ending route for the video game industry part 4: Rise of the Prosumers

ggx2ac

Expert
(They publish Dark Souls)
Link to all bad ending threads: https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...-for-the-video-game-industry.1998/post-228671

This might be your once in a lifetime opportunity to create a startup business with unicorn status i.e. A one-billion-dollar valuation to your company. You arranged a 5-minute meeting with a bunch of venture capitalists in Silicon Valley, you have to introduce yourself as an entrepreneur to give off the image that you apparently know what you're talking about. Here's one little tip for your pitch, throw in the buzzword of the day, in this case it's AI.

If I was pitching the business to these venture capitalists, this is how it would go: Uber revolutionized the world by creating the gig-economy, where they own their online platform and people can become contractors for the company by doing work which gives Uber a profit in exchange for not having those contractors' becoming employees of the company. This means that you don't have to worry about expenses like health insurance or providing a fleet of cars for the contractors to use, the contractor has to take care of all those expenses themselves.

While they expanded their services by creating Uber Eats, I would say that they were short-sighted. They did not go one step further in their business model. I am here to show you what that business model is, it is called the Prosumer model!

The prosumer model is very flexible, let me show you one example. You walk into a pizza shop and there's no one behind the counter, where are the workers? Actually, you good sir, the consumer who walked into the store is the worker. You use an app to make your order, you order a pizza and pay for it on the app and then our AI-powered doohickey spits out all the ingredients into a tray for you to assemble the pizza yourself and then insert it into the pizza oven, once your pizza is cooked, you retrieve it, box it and then walk out of the shop. The consumer pays us to do work to feed themselves pizza, the expenses from having to hire a worker who makes the pizza for the consumer is entirely removed from the service model giving us a massive margin in profit.

At this point of the presentation, you, the entrepreneur hopes that the venture capitalists are tripping over themselves to invest in your business model.

Let's say one of the VCs is skeptical and asks, "Why wouldn't I just go to a pizza shop where the AI itself can make and cook the pizza for me?", a very simple response to that would be, "To do that, you would need a robot and robots are expensive to assemble and maintain, by having the consumer who has intelligence and a body, they can go and do that work themselves, saving us money on capital expenses."

Another VC asks, "A pizza shop?..." and you respond by telling them how the prosumer model is very flexible, it can work in a coffee shop, how about a store where you design your own prints to print onto a t-shirt? All powered by AI. There is no limit to what kind of service that you sell where the consumer works to produce the end-product.

"How would your pizza shop compete with the other pizza shops?" asks another VC, it's very simple. You follow Amazon's model of building a monopoly that destroys its competitors by technological disruption. You make the pizza prices as cheap as possible to undercut the competition, there is no way that they would be able to compete because they have to pay wages to workers, there are no wages being paid in the prosumer model. Once those pizza shops close down, you take them over and build up more locations, once you have a monopoly in the region you can then raise prices thanks to monopoly rent and then you'll be raking in profits.

Another VC asks, "Does your pizza shop make use of Big Data?". This is where you have to bluff your way if you don't understand how Data Science works. Here's how I would go about it, "Yes, Big Data is very important to our pizza shop. When you use the app to make your pizza, you can either select from a list of common pizza flavors like pepperoni or Hawaiian. The prosumer has the option of designing their own pizza flavor, we collect the data from that, if we find out that the same prosumer orders that same customized flavor more than once, we add it to a list of pizza flavors where we suggest to other prosumers that this custom pizza flavor is popular in their region. This means that we don't have to hire someone to design new pizza flavors and instead, organic growth occurs with the discovery of new pizza flavors created by the prosumer."

At this point, you've already gone over the five-minute time limit for the meeting. The odds of those venture capitalists investing in you depends on luck and who you are. At worst, they might say, "This sounds interesting, but I don't think it will work", and then three months later those same venture capitalists steal the idea to get 100% ownership of the IP. What are you going to do as a poor entrepreneur? Hire a lawyer and take them to court? Are you sure you'll have the money to survive and settle the case in your favor?

There is a possibility that this idea has been pitched before, but I don't know. I can't guarantee that if you share this with your venture capitalist connections on LinkedIn that they will look at it and respond, "I like money, and this idea is making me think about money a lot."

There are also some readers who might be thinking, "This is so dumb, why would consumers do the work themselves and give money to the company for doing that work!?", we'll get there.

And that is the introduction to this thread about the prosumer model.

The term Prosumer (and also Prosumption) was coined by Alvin Toffler in 1980. It's a portmanteau of the words producer and consumer. I would have preferred the term consworker which blends the words consumer and worker, but it doesn't roll off the tongue as well. Don't tell me that worksumer would be better. I would also like to use the term conserker, which is a blend of the words consumer and berserker.

As technological change has occurred, you may have already experienced being a prosumer without even knowing it. You go to a grocery store to buy some food quickly; you find that the line is filled with customers, and you need to wait more than five minutes for the cashier to serve you. Suddenly, you notice something new, a self-service checkout. You walk up to it and learn how it works, you scan the products yourself and then you put your money into the machine to pay. You then walk out of the store with the food you bought.

Think about what just happened there, you did the work of the cashier. The grocery store didn't pay you for doing work, they didn't even give you a discount for the work you just did when purchasing those items. You gave the store your money and the execs far away said, "Thank you for doing the work of our cashier, now we don't need to hire more cashiers to pay them those pesky wages. Our margins on profits are soaring!"

There are plenty of other examples of being a prosumer. Ikea: you buy unassembled furniture and assemble it yourself at home. Building a PC is acting as a prosumer, you buy the parts and assemble it yourself. Buying ingredients from a grocery store to make a recipe. All these examples are Do It Yourself approaches. There are more examples in that wiki link above where they mentioned how the McDonald's business model makes the customer clean up after themselves by having them dump the food/packaging into the bin rather than having a worker go around and clean up after everyone as a waiter would do in a restaurant.

Getting to the 21st century, there are new prosumers that have emerged thanks to the internet. If you want to have a career as a Youtuber, you have to watch other YouTube videos to get ideas and then produce your own videos and hope that people watch them so that Alphabet pays you money from the advertisements running on your video. I'm not familiar with how prosumers make money off of TikTok but that is also a service where being a prosumer is encouraged. Similar to Uber, you are doing work for these companies, but you are not their employees. YouTube can get millions of people doing work for no wages, and you have to be lucky enough to get that share of advertising revenue which they can control how much they pay you.

Don't forget about economic rent, if you've been reading my bad ending threads then you should be spotting where unearned income for these companies are occurring.

Now to get to the point of the thread where this is related to video games.

There are companies producing live-service games and are failing because they have to compete with the likes of GTA, EA FC, NBA2K or COD for example. One of the biggest pain points of a live-service game are operating expenses that last the whole lifecycle of the game.

What is one way you could cut down on operating expenses? By implementing a prosumer model. You have the consumer doing video game development on the live-service game.

This is actually not a novel idea; it is as old as Warcraft III where the ability to create custom maps gave birth to Defense of the Ancients which led to the creation of League of Legends and DotA2 and that is when Activision Blizzard learned the important lesson of IP ownership because those were ideas created in their game and they did not own the IP. Pour one out for the person that created The Three Corridors which was a MOBA in the Warcraft III custom maps long before DotA existed and didn't do what the creator of League of Legends did.

What has happened since then? One of the biggest platforms out there follows the prosumer model, Roblox. I've already done a post about Roblox before if you want to look at that. How has Roblox been doing? Here are their recent earnings results:
Fourth Quarter 2023 Financial, Operational, and Liquidity Highlights

• Revenue was $749.9 million, up 30% year-over-year.
  • Bookings were $1,126.8 million, up 25% year-over-year.
  • Net loss attributable to common stockholders was $323.7 million.
  • Net cash provided by operating activities was $143.3 million, up 20% year-over-year.
  • Average Daily Active Users (“DAUs”) were 71.5 million, up 22% year-over-year.
  • Average monthly unique payers were 15.9 million, up 18% year-over-year, and average bookings per monthly unique payer was $23.65, up 6% year-over-year.
  • Hours engaged were 15.5 billion, up 21% year-over-year.
  • Average bookings per DAU was $15.75, up 3% year-over-year.
  • Net liquidity was $2.2 billion; Covenant Adjusted EBITDA was $259.6 million, up 42% year-over-year.
Full Year 2023 Financial, Operational, and Liquidity Highlights

• Revenue was $2,799.3 million, up 26% year-over-year.
  • Bookings were $3,520.8 million, up 23% year-over-year.
  • Net loss attributable to common stockholders was $1,151.9 million.
  • Net cash provided by operating activities was $458.2 million, up 24% year-over-year.
  • DAUs were 68.4 million, up 22% year-over-year.
  • Average monthly unique payers were 14.5 million, up 17% year-over-year, and average bookings per monthly unique payer was $81.05, up 4% year-over-year.
  • Hours engaged were 60.0 billion, up 22% year-over-year.
  • Average bookings per DAU was $51.50, flat year-over-year.
  • Covenant Adjusted EBITDA was $431.7 million, up 21% year-over-year.
“We finished 2023 with another strong quarter of growth as we continue to drive innovation and new experiences across the Roblox platform. We enter 2024 with even more conviction of being able to achieve our long-term goal of attracting over 1 billion daily active users with optimism and civility. We continue to benefit from the strong network effects in content, social connection, and communication, as well as our investments in immersive experiences, advertising, and AI,” said David Baszucki, founder and CEO of Roblox.

“We ended the year with our strongest rate of quarterly bookings growth in two years and delivered our first quarter of $1 billion in bookings. We are scaling our operations efficiently, thereby improving our margins and cash flow, and we expect those trends to continue in 2024,” said Michael Guthrie, chief financial officer of Roblox.

Average daily active users were 71.5 million in the last quarter, and they have the ambitious long-term goal of obtaining 1 billion daily active users. Note: While they are making billions in revenue, they have not achieved net income yet as noted in the $1.1B net loss for the fiscal year. If you are wondering if Roblox did any layoffs recently, the first thing I could find was them laying off 30 staff from the company's talent acquisition team back in September 2023.

There is one other competitor you're probably thinking of that has entered the prosumer space, and that's Fortnite. I did a thread talking about Epic Games creating the Verse programming language and how there's a creator economy in Fortnite, take look at the thread if you haven't already. Using Unreal Editor for Fortnite, you can create games inside Fortnite and if people play your games, then you have a chance of making money as long as Fortnite is making money from microtransactions to pay you.

Also, in that thread regarding the Verse programming language which will be the foundation that Tim Sweeney envisions for the metaverse. He even has a goal as ambitious as Roblox, that the Verse programming language is scalable enough to have millions of developers working in the metaverse where the metaverse will have billions of concurrent users in a shared world. How do you get millions of developers working on the metaverse? By implementing a prosumer model just like Roblox did for their platform.

While some publishers are looking at using AI in game production to reduce their operating expenses and possibly speed up game development. Roblox and Epic Games are using a simpler model to reduce operating expenses, you.

I don't have a bad ending scenario to write because the premise was already simple enough to understand, technological change has made things easier for you to become both the worker and the consumer and that's one of the ways that businesses can go further in increasing their profits by rent-seeking while reducing wages.

Last edited:
Generative AI
Out of all the prosumer models out there including the ones I've mentioned. The one that has faced the most backlash so far are services like ChatGPT that use Generative AI.

Generative AI works as a prosumer model, for example you give ChatGPT a prompt, it hallucinates and gives you the wrong answer, and then you give it more prompts until the correct answer is achieved. ChatGPT can retain this information in its large language model and does deep learning until it can learn this new thing correctly in whatever new version of ChatGPT is released. (You are the worker not only as a prompter, but also having any of your copyrighted materials being used to train it)

Drawing fingers on human hands correctly is an example of the results of deep learning. (Although that's referring to Generative AI images done by services like Midjourney or DALL-E)

Remember that time that a Samsung employee put proprietary code into a ChatGPT prompt? A few months later, ChatGPT released subscription models where one tier was for Enterprise where businesses would not have to worry about ChatGPT using sensitive and confidential information.

As we all know, almost every Generative AI service is built on the stolen works of others. There are companies that are taking the companies of those services to court to seek compensation for the use of their works in Generative AI. In a world where IP is considered an asset and very valuable that it results in lawsuits when it is infringed upon, it is very funny how the companies that produce Generative AI cannot function without infringing on the copyright of other people's works.

That's why the simplest solution to that issue is to compensate the persons who have had their works stolen, there's just one problem, companies don't want to do that. It will affect their profitability, maybe it's time for them to start lobbying to get Copyright and IP laws removed and make all works public domain by default. (That will never happen)

Last edited:
That's why the simplest solution to that issue is to compensate the persons who have had their works stolen, there's just one problem, companies don't want to do that. It will affect their profitability, maybe it's time for them to start lobbying to get Copyright and IP laws removed and make all works public domain by default. (That will never happen)
Not public domain, but...
Non-exclusive rights could be granted for the "greater AI good". Legislators can argue this is needed to be ahead of other countries. Although the rights would be equal, in practice and as always, only Big Tech companies would benefit.

The pioneer of the Prosumer model
The following is my opinion and, I think this is going to blow your mind.

I was brainstorming ideas about the Prosumer model, and I don't want to say the scenario I was imagining because it would spoil who I reveal that I think is the pioneer of the Prosumer model.

A reminder that in the OP of this thread, there is a Wikipedia Article about the Prosumer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosumer
The terms prosumer and prosumption were coined in 1980 by Alvin Toffler, an American futurist

You can see there that the term was coined in 1980 but, who was actually the pioneer of the Prosumer model? I looked through the Wikipedia article and I didn't find the answer (I came up with) in that article.

Spend a few moments thinking, imagine that there is a company. They produce products of some kind, they come up with a new idea that changes everything regarding how the production works which results in the Prosumer model.

Think...

Think...

Think...

Have you come up with an idea of who may have pioneered the Prosumer model?

I'll tell the solution I came up with.

Lego, it was Lego!

Watch this video produced by the LEGO company that talks about the history of Lego:

Watch the history of Lego as they went from producing handmade wooden toys to using machinery to produce "bricks". Think about it, you have a basic unit that is like an atom and that can be pieced with other atoms to create a structure. Doing such a thing on the assembly line would be costly, so what do you do? The children build the toys themselves when they buy the product.

You'll see in the video that the creator of the Lego company Ole first got the machinery to produce "bricks" in 1946, then his son Godtfred in 1954 was on a boat trip where he met a businessman who talked badly of the toy industry because it had no "system". Then you'll see a scene where Godtfred comes to the idea that, "There isn't any system. The toys need an idea and a system built around it. I wanna put system into play. Children have only been given ready-made solutions. They need something different that will strengthen their imagination and creativity."

A reminder, this is the LEGO company telling the story. I don't actually know if Godtfred was quoted actually saying this to his father back in the 1950s so we'll have to take it at face value.

The point of the video was to show when LEGO went from producing handmade wooden toys to the bricks that we know of today. The bricks first appeared in 1946 but the actual pioneering of the Prosumer model happened around 1954.

That would be 26 years before the term Prosumer was first coined.

The moment someone let the customer "assemble" the product as part of the "experience", it opened so many doors to a sort of "self-assembly" product industry that eventually expanded from just toys or educational products.
IKEA furniture and self-serve and self-cook diners are two that come to mind. AI can't cook a flank steak better than me yet.

Now to get to the point of the thread where this is related to video games.

There are companies producing live-service games and are failing because they have to compete with the likes of GTA, EA FC, NBA2K or COD for example. One of the biggest pain points of a live-service game are operating expenses that last the whole lifecycle of the game.

What is one way you could cut down on operating expenses? By implementing a prosumer model. You have the consumer doing video game development on the live-service game.

This is actually not a novel idea; it is as old as Warcraft III where the ability to create custom maps gave birth to Defense of the Ancients which led to the creation of League of Legends and DotA2 and that is when Activision Blizzard learned the important lesson of IP ownership because those were ideas created in their game and they did not own the IP. Pour one out for the person that created The Three Corridors which was a MOBA in the Warcraft III custom maps long before DotA existed and didn't do what the creator of League of Legends did.

What has happened since then? One of the biggest platforms out there follows the prosumer model, Roblox. I've already done a post about Roblox before if you want to look at that. How has Roblox been doing? Here are their recent earnings results:

Average daily active users were 71.5 million in the last quarter, and they have the ambitious long-term goal of obtaining 1 billion daily active users. Note: While they are making billions in revenue, they have not achieved net income yet as noted in the $1.1B net loss for the fiscal year. If you are wondering if Roblox did any layoffs recently, the first thing I could find was them laying off 30 staff from the company's talent acquisition team back in September 2023.
This makes me curious why Roblox is operating at a loss. Surely the prosumer model they're using and the amount of revenue generated would make them lots of money? It's also not like the numbers are small, they are losing millions and even nearing the billions. I haven't read nor checked their financial statement, but is it because they are spending money on other projects? Investing towards AI and stuff? Heavy R&D cost for something? Surely it's not like they are cutting costs for a monopoly like what Amazon was doing. Does anyone have an idea as to why?

This makes me curious why Roblox is operating at a loss. Surely the prosumer model they're using and the amount of revenue generated would make them lots of money? It's also not like the numbers are small, they are losing millions and even nearing the billions. I haven't read nor checked their financial statement, but is it because they are spending money on other projects? Investing towards AI and stuff? Heavy R&D cost for something? Surely it's not like they are cutting costs for a monopoly like what Amazon was doing. Does anyone have an idea as to why?

I went to search around and luckily; I wasn't going to have to dig through years of data. For the same quarter results they posted, I didn't know they had supplemental materials: https://s27.q4cdn.com/984876518/files/doc_financials/2023/q4/Q4-23-Supplemental-Materials.pdf

They break down a lot of things such as how many robux are bought and the average time they get spent. DAUs by region and age, hours engaged, etc.

Go to page 14 and they post their Statement of Operations (which is unaudited).
They post for the quarter ending December 2023 (and 2022 for YoY comparison) the revenue, cost of revenue, developer exchange fees, infrastructure and trust & safety, R&D, general and administrative, sales and marketing.

Revenue $749.9M
Cost of Revenue was $171.6M
Developer exchange fees was $221.8M
Infrastructure and trust and safety was $124.3M
R&D was $341.1M

Go to the page to see the rest that show the net loss.

Fine print for cost of revenue:
(1) Depreciation of servers and infrastructure equipment included in infrastructure and trust & safety

Fine print for Infrastructure and trust and safety:
(1) Infrastructure and Trust & Safety excluding personnel, stock-based compensation, and depreciation and amortization expenses.

I am going to assume that trust and safety would include stuff like moderators, because the materials don't say what this is for.

You can see their biggest expense is R&D at the moment, so they're definitely spending to grow first.

Edit:

I forgot about their operational expenses.

Slide 19 has net cash provided by operating activities: $143.3M

If you go to page 32, it will have a slide that says Personnel Costs for the quarter ending in December 2023:

Infrastructure and trust & safety $25.5M
R&D $128.4M
General and Administrative $32M
Sales and Marketing $12.6M

Total Personnel Costs (excluding stock-based compensation) $198.6M

Remember that the Developer exchange fees was $221.8M

Of course, this doesn't tell us how many employees Roblox has and how many Prosumers there are.

Slide 30 gives the stock-based compensation for each of the departments mentioned, the total is $250M

Slide 28 says Payer Community and there are 15.9M monthly unique payers and they're spending an average of $23.65 each. This is talking about the people that spend robux.

Edit 2:

I had to search around to find out exactly how many prosumers are there because they easily give DAUs and developer exchange fees in the supplemental materials, but I can't find "creators".

So I looked around and found this from their blog: https://blog.roblox.com/2023/07/vision-roblox-economy/

This blog is from July 18, 2023. If you scroll down all the way to the fine print:
3 Millions of Creators earn Robux on our platform, ranging from hobbyists to career creators, with the median Creator (Creator ~7.5 million) earning 50 Robux and the average Creator earning 13,500 Robux in 2022. As of December 2022, 11,000 of these creators were qualified and registered for our Developer Exchange Program and cashed out to real-world currency. This number includes hobbyists and career developers alike.

That fine print was for:
We do not create experiences that compete with our community for earnings. In 2021 and 2022, our creator community earned $538 million and $624 million, respectively. This combined figure of $1.1 billion3 is up 164% over the previous two years, and we anticipate that number will be approximately $800 million in 2023 alone.

This data is old since it seems to be 2022 data, back in 2022 they had 7.5M creators, the median payout was 50 robux and the average payout was 13,500 robux in 2022.

According to another page I will link, you need 30k robux to be able to cash it out for... real money. Here's that link: https://create.roblox.com/docs/production/earning-on-roblox

Here:
†† 30,000 Robux required to cash out through the Developer Exchange program

This link contains their developer docs, it seems to have the latest info:
(1) 70.2M Daily Active Users
(2) 3.2B Virtual Transactions
(3) 5.6M Creators Earning Robux
(4) $1.1B 2021-2022 Creator Earnings

From left to right: (1) As of September 30, 2023; (2) Based on the year ended December 31, 2022 (3) Represents number of unique creators earning Robux during September 2023; (4) $1.1B developer earnings by 11,000 creators registered for our Developer Exchange program during 2021 and 2022, up 164% from the previous two-year period.

next:

We are one of the biggest virtual economies¹​

In 2022 alone, we had more than 3.2 billion virtual transactions, and over 1 billion during the third quarter of 2023. In fact, Roblox's GDP² has grown to become as large as that of some countries. During the quarter ending September 2023, over 5.6M asset creators and developers who create experiences earned Robux. Our success is directly tied to the success of our creators. Roblox earns money by selling Robux which users spend in-experience and on items and assets in our marketplaces, all created by you.

1 Based on readily available public data for daily or monthly active users of virtual worlds

next:

As a result, creators can focus on creating​

We are seeing healthy growth across creators and studios of varying sizes. Since 2020, the compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of monetization for the 1000th creator (ranked by earnings) is almost three times that of the 10th ranked creator. And the 1000th creator earned USD 55,000 last year. As of December 2022, nearly 20% of our top 100 experiences and nearly 40% of our top 5000 experiences were also created in 2022.

If I am reading this right...
#10 Creator#100 Creator#1,000 Creator
2022 average earnings$6.1M$939k$55k
2020-2022 growth†33%47%91%
† 2020-2022 CAGR; growth reflects annualized increase of Robux earnings from 2020 to 2022

They're really saying that the creator ranked number 10 by earnings made $6.1M because the quote above says their creator ranked 1,000 made $55k.

Average Cash Payouts​

Our goal is to drive as much money to our creators as possible while maintaining reasonable margins for our company to develop, maintain, and improve the tools and technology that support our community.

On average, 75% of all spending in experiences supports or goes to developers:

• We pay out 46% to cover costs supporting experiences — like infrastructure hosting, storage, customer support, localization, payment processing, and moderation — which other platforms generally pass on to developers.
  • This enables us to return 29%* directly to the developers.
  • That leaves 25% to cover Roblox's ongoing services and operating costs, future-looking investments in the platform, and margins.

There are so many more details in these docs, such as this which is new:
In the spring of 2024, creators will be able to sell plugins on the Creator Store for United States Dollars (USD) and receive a significantly higher revenue share, as Roblox will only deduct taxes and payment processing fees.

Any plugin without USD pricing will be taken off sale when USD pricing launches. If you have any plugins currently on sale for Robux, ensure you set up a seller account and add USD pricing for your plugins now. For more information, see Selling on the Creator Store.

Edit 3:

I had to go look up their annual report to find out their employee count, this is from their 2022 Annual Report: https://s27.q4cdn.com/984876518/fil...23-proxy-and-2022-annual-report_web-ready.pdf

Our People

At Roblox, we maintain an innovation-first culture that seeks to empower our employees and leaders. We believe that teams are most successful when aligned around a shared vision and given the autonomy to tackle big opportunities. As of December 31, 2022, our employee workforce consisted of 2,128 full-time employees, of which over 1,600 employees were in product and engineering functions, accounting for 75% of our total full-time employees, and over 100 of our fulltime employees were located outside of the U.S.

There, 1600 staff that deal with product and engineering roles.

We have a number, at the end of 2022, Roblox Corp employs 1600 staff that do product and engineering roles.

At the end of September 2023, there were 5.6M creators that received payouts.

The fine print from the blog is also in the docs:
3 Millions of creators earn Robux on our platform, many of whom are hobbyists, with the median creator (creator ~7.5 million) earning 50 Robux and the average creator earning 13,500 Robux in 2022. As of December 2022, 11,000 of these creators were qualified and registered for our Developer Exchange program and cashed out to real-world currency.

I think I have finally covered a lot of the missing details.

Last edited:
I went to search around and luckily; I wasn't going to have to dig through years of data. For the same quarter results they posted, I didn't know they had supplemental materials: https://s27.q4cdn.com/984876518/files/doc_financials/2023/q4/Q4-23-Supplemental-Materials.pdf

They break down a lot of things such as how many robux are bought and the average time they get spent. DAUs by region and age, hours engaged, etc.

Go to page 14 and they post their Statement of Operations (which is unaudited).
They post for the quarter ending December 2023 (and 2022 for YoY comparison) the revenue, cost of revenue, developer exchange fees, infrastructure and trust & safety, R&D, general and administrative, sales and marketing.

Revenue $749.9M
Cost of Revenue was $171.6M
Developer exchange fees was $221.8M
Infrastructure and trust and safety was $124.3M
R&D was $341.1M

Go to the page to see the rest that show the net loss.

Fine print for cost of revenue:

Fine print for Infrastructure and trust and safety:

I am going to assume that trust and safety would include stuff like moderators, because the materials don't say what this is for.

You can see their biggest expense is R&D at the moment, so they're definitely spending to grow first.

Edit:

I forgot about their operational expenses.

Slide 19 has net cash provided by operating activities: $143.3M

If you go to page 32, it will have a slide that says Personnel Costs for the quarter ending in December 2023:

Infrastructure and trust & safety $25.5M
R&D $128.4M
General and Administrative $32M
Sales and Marketing $12.6M

Total Personnel Costs (excluding stock-based compensation) $198.6M

Remember that the Developer exchange fees was $221.8M

Of course, this doesn't tell us how many employees Roblox has and how many Prosumers there are.

Slide 30 gives the stock-based compensation for each of the departments mentioned, the total is $250M

Slide 28 says Payer Community and there are 15.9M monthly unique payers and they're spending an average of $23.65 each. This is talking about the people that spend robux.

Edit 2:

I had to search around to find out exactly how many prosumers are there because they easily give DAUs and developer exchange fees in the supplemental materials, but I can't find "creators".

So I looked around and found this from their blog: https://blog.roblox.com/2023/07/vision-roblox-economy/

This blog is from July 18, 2023. If you scroll down all the way to the fine print:

That fine print was for:

This data is old since it seems to be 2022 data, back in 2022 they had 7.5M creators, the median payout was 50 robux and the average payout was 13,500 robux in 2022.

According to another page I will link, you need 30k robux to be able to cash it out for... real money. Here's that link: https://create.roblox.com/docs/production/earning-on-roblox

Here:

This link contains their developer docs, it seems to have the latest info:

next:

next:

If I am reading this right...
#10 Creator#100 Creator#1,000 Creator
2022 average earnings$6.1M$939k$55k
2020-2022 growth†33%47%91%

They're really saying that the creator ranked number 10 by earnings made $6.1M because the quote above says their creator ranked 1,000 made $55k.

There are so many more details in these docs, such as this which is new:

Edit 3:

I had to go look up their annual report to find out their employee count, this is from their 2022 Annual Report: https://s27.q4cdn.com/984876518/fil...23-proxy-and-2022-annual-report_web-ready.pdf

There, 1600 staff that deal with product and engineering roles.

We have a number, at the end of 2022, Roblox Corp employs 1600 staff that do product and engineering roles.

At the end of September 2023, there were 5.6M creators that received payouts.

The fine print from the blog is also in the docs:

I think I have finally covered a lot of the missing details.
Wow thankyou for the detailed reply. Will read it when I have time. I also did a little bit of research after, and one of the reasons might be behind how they report Robux. They have positive cash flow, so that shows more money coming in than out. However, some people speculated that they have to report Robux in player accounts as a loss until used. Which most likely resulted in a huge net loss. Not sure how reliable this information is, but I thought it made somewhat sense.

When I read your post, the first developer that came to mind was Valve and community contributed cosmetics. Valve has this system where, through Steam Workshop, you can create cosmetic items for Team Fortress 2, Dota 2 and CS:GO, and earn money if Valve accepts your item. There are thousands of items created by community members across the games. Some contributors make so much money from their items that they can treat it as a full time job.

Back
Top Bottom