• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Advance Wars 1+2 Remake delayed due to "recent world events"

Yeah, it's done. AW 1+2 will never be released.

Game is too niche and too much of a PR nightmare waiting to happen now. The Ukrainian conflict isn't going to die down any time soon; probably not until next year... and it's gonna take too long for the release of a game like AW to be considered "acceptable" from a PR standpoint for it to see release on the current Switch before it gets replaced by Switch 2... and there's no way that Nintendo would be willing to spend the money needed to port the game over from Switch 1 to Switch 2... Aint no way that Nintendo is throwing even more money at this game when they've already had to delay it heavily once before...

RIP Advance Wars :(

Last edited:
NOA cancelled Disaster: Day of Crisis for much less... What are the chances they actually release this later this year? 2%?
0%. It is not getting released now, period.

It's going to join the veritable graveyard of Nintendo 1st Party games that were completely finished but cancelled prior to release... just like Starfox 2 and the JPN versions of AW1 and AW Days of Ruin before it.

Maybe if we get lucky, it might get a limited-time release around 10 years or so from now... but yeah... RIP Advance Wars :(

0%. It is not getting released now, period.

It's going to join the veritable graveyard of Nintendo 1st Party games that were completely finished but cancelled prior to release... just like Starfox 2 and the JPN versions of AW1 and AW Days of Ruin before it.

Maybe if we get lucky, it might get a limited-time release around 10 years or so from now... but yeah... RIP Advance Wars :(
This is such an absurdly extreme take. Nintendo says in the tweet they will announce a new release date and the game is already basically finished. This is just a case of incredibly unfortunate timing, Advance Wars will be fine.

As I said in the Media Create thread, Nintendo is very likely to support Switch into 2025 and 2026 so the unlikely worst case scenario of a 3 year delay would still mean a release. I don't think we get a release this year but I think we get a release next year. And I think Nintendo gets it ready for a Japanese release for next year too.

The game is finished will be released but apparently not at the current state of world conditions. Nintendo is used at this but it could be a long wait and 2022 isn't guaranteed.

While understandably some people are/will be upset, from all announced games this is the game whose unplanned delay will least affect Nintendo's bottom line in 2022.

Err... you people do realise that you're talking about Nintendo here right? The company that is absolutely notorious for cancelling and sitting on completely finished and already-announced games for literally decades, if not forever?

Here's a small list of cancelled Nintendo games that were completely finished to refresh your memory...

NES: Simcity, Earthbound Beginnings

SNES: Starfox 2, Special Tee Shot, Kid Kirby

Virtual Boy: Zero Racers

N64: Animal Crossing (Western Release), Sin & Punishment (Western Release), Panel De Pon 64 (Remade into Pokemon Puzzle League; eventually released as part of Nintendo Puzzle Collection for the GCN), The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time: Master Quest (Released on GCN)

GCN: Super Paper Mario (ported over to Wii), DK Barrel Blast (ported to Wii), Kirby Gamecube (parts of this game were salvaged for Kirby's Adventure Wii), Nintendo Puzzle Collection (Western Release)

Wii: Project Zero 4 (Western Release), Disaster Day of Crisis (US Release), Captain Rainbow (Western Release), Line Attack Heroes (Western Release), Pikmin 3 (ported to Wii U)

Wii U: Pikmin 4, Fire Emblem NES English localisation (Ported over to Switch), Mother 3 English (supposedly finished but ultimately had its release cancelled when they started winding down Wii U support in favour of Switch).

GB/C: Pokemon Picross, X (Western Release - this was actually just recently leaked!), Metroid 2 DX, Tomato Adventure (Remade for GBA)

GBA: Drill Dozer EU version, Kururin Paradise EU version, Wario Ware Twisted EU version, Advance Wars 1 JPN version (eventually bundled with Advance Wars 2 when it was released in Japan 3 years later)

DS: Steel Diver DSiware, Daigasso! Band Brothers Western Release (cancelled in favour of releasing the sequel in EU territories instead), Archaic Sealed Heat (Western Release), Advance Wars Days of Ruin JPN version (eventually given away for free as a DSiWare download for a limited time only).

Even just looking at the Advance Wars series alone it is a veritable graveyard of cancelled releases!

Absolutely zero chance that AW 1+2 gets a proper retail release on Switch now. Best hope is that it eventually gets a limited time My Nintendo exclusive download release some 5-10 years from now...

Err... you people do realise that you're talking about Nintendo here right? The company that is absolutely notorious for cancelling and sitting on completely finished and already-announced games for literally decades, if not forever?

Here's a small list of cancelled Nintendo games that were completely finished to refresh your memory...

Even just looking at the Advance Wars series alone it is a veritable graveyard of cancelled releases!

Absolutely zero chance that AW 1+2 gets a proper retail release on Switch now. Best hope is that it eventually gets a limited time My Nintendo exclusive download release some 5-10 years from now...
Lots of companies cancel games, that doesn't mean every game is going to be canceled just because of a delay. And notably, Nintendo has not canceled a single game in the Switch Era and most of the cancellations you mention aren't even games but localizations, which is completely different from canceling a completed game on a very healthy platform. Nintendo said it would get a new release date in the announcment so claiming it has zero chance of release isn't just silly, it is directly contradicted by the actual reality of what Nintendo is stating.

Lots of companies cancel games, that doesn't mean every game is going to be canceled just because of a delay. And notably, Nintendo has not canceled a single game in the Switch Era and most of the cancellations you mention aren't even games but localizations, which is completely different from canceling a completed game on a very healthy platform. Nintendo said it would get a new release date in the announcment so claiming it has zero chance of release isn't just silly, it is directly contradicted by the actual reality of what Nintendo is stating.

Not many companies would outright cancel and indefinitely shelf a 100% completed product... but Nintendo absolutely would, has done so in the past, and will continue to do so. And this extends not just to localisations, but cancellations across all regions.

AW 1+2 is the next casualty to join the others within the great Nintendo Vault. Hopefully one day it'll see the light of day, as Starfox 2 eventually did, but it will not be getting a normal release; absolutely no hope in hell.

Oh and keep in mind that this is just the list of finished games that were cancelled; and even then, just the ones that were made public. We already know that Nintendo cancelled Namco's version of Metroid Prime 4 (and in a grand public execution video even!), so Switch is not immune to Nintendo's SOP.

I still fully expect this game to get released. It will probably launch to little/no marketing but it will most release at some point.

If we start hearing of Nintendo refunding preorders on the eshop then buckle in for a long term delay.

The game has been available to preorder since it was announced at last year's E3.

Not many companies would outright cancel and indefinitely shelf a 100% completed product... but Nintendo absolutely would, has done so in the past, and will continue to do so. And this extends not just to localisations, but cancellations across all regions.

AW 1+2 is the next casualty to join the others within the great Nintendo Vault. Hopefully one day it'll see the light of day, as Starfox 2 eventually did, but it will not be getting a normal release; absolutely no hope in hell.

Oh and keep in mind that this is just the list of finished games that were cancelled; and even then, just the ones that were made public. We already know that Nintendo cancelled Namco's version of Metroid Prime 4, so Switch is not immune to Nintendo's SOP.
Prime 4 also had its development immediately restarted and the game was apparently having developmental troubles anyway. That is in no way comparable to a nearly finished game getting delayed a month before release. As I said Nintendo explicitly said the game is still coming so stop saying with certainty something that is directly contradicted by the reality of what Nintendo said. They said it is releasing and there is no reason to doubt that at this point.

A lot of those aren't finished games. There are builds that work on their respective systems but, they aren't necessarily content complete much less ready to release. Kirby Gamecube is at least 2 different games for instance. One did appear at E3 but, E3 builds aren't necessarily finished.
Nintendo's particular model of development does give them a lot more leeway in holding back finished titles. For most publishers, holding onto games for more than a few months will result in them having no new games for a quarter and massively reduce their revenue. Since development is at a such a low cost for most of these games, it would cost more to produce them than they could bring in. Which is why it mostly stopped once the eShops started being a thing.

If we start hearing of Nintendo refunding preorders on the eshop then buckle in for a long term delay.

The game has been available to preorder since it was announced at last year's E3.
My friend already got an email saying his preorder was canceled and I can no longer find the game on the eShop via the Switch. I don't think anyone was charged for it however as they only do that the week of release. Here's the message if anyone is curious:
mVUNdbf.png

Last edited:
My friend already got an email saying his preorder was canceled and I can no longer find the game on the eShop via the Switch. I don't think anyone was charged for it however as they only do that the week of release.

Thanks for sharing that! Yeah definitely seems like this will be a longer delay then.

My Target pre-order is still active. I'd imagine we won't get this game until late summer at the earliest.

My guess would be next year if they still intend to promote it. If they would rather just quietly release it with little promotion then I could see it getting dropped in late summer or fall. I don't think cancelation is realistic.

2023 might be better anyway since 2022 is already so stacked. 2023 may end up being a transition year for new hardware so Spring 2023 could be a good time to release a title like this. It's unfortunate for everyone I would say that the game got delayed in the first place. December 2021 would have been a perfect time to release it, in hindsight.

Yeah, my eShop pre-order got cancelled.

BTW, worth noting that my eShop pre-order didn't get cancelled the last time that AW1+2 was delayed...

The game page is still up on Nintendo eShop, it was just removed because nintendo doesn't show their own games that are dated as "TBD", "2022", "Late 2022", etc on Nintendo Switch eShop. Bayonetta 3 has a page, but is not available on Nintendo Switch eShop. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 has a page, not on Switch eShop. Pokémon Scarlet too and the list goes on. Back in december, when AW1+2 was delayed, it got the new date listing on eShop immediately (despite no word about it until last direct), that's why pre-orders weren't canceled last time.

I think the game is absolutely going to release, just not now as it'd feel out of touch given the invasion occurring in Ukraine. The game might release with little advertisement if the conflict is extended, however we have no way to tell whether that will be the case.

the JPN versions of AW1 and AW Days of Ruin before it.
Both of these actually released in Japan.
(albeit the latter did so in a very odd and limited fashion)

The former as part of Game Boy Wars Advance 1+2 on November 25th, 2004 (over a year after even Advance Wars 2 came out in Europe)
The latter as a Club Nintendo Platinum Reward on 3DS on October 30th, 2013.

And this was with Game Boy Wars (and Advance Wars 1+2 when it did finally release) essentially having sold almost nothing (compared to what it did in the West anyway with regard to the latter) prior to that domestically.

Advance Wars 1 + 2: 38,659
Advance Wars Dual Strike: 34,447
Game Boy Wars 2: 7,709
Game Boy Wars 3 (which released right before Advance Wars 1 did in the West): 5,764

(as an aside, since it's a fairly bizarre fact that I've never seen anyone really bring up: ironically, Battalion Wars, which as far as I'm aware had fairly poor reception compared to, and sold way worse than, Advance Wars in the West (in spite of being an RTS / 3rd Person Shooter hybrid), actually did better than Advance Wars domestically; Battalion Wars and Battalion Wars 2 sold 55,565 and 74,086 copies respectively)

Regarding total cancellation, I think a key difference for Re-Boot Camp versus other "shelved forever" Nintendo titles in recent memory is that inventory has been manufactured and assembled by this point. To find a similar cancellation this late term you basically have to go back to the last round of VB games with Bound High or (possibly) Dragon Hopper and Zero Racers.

I'm confused by this "total cancellation" talk here. Not gonna happen. The game is finished and eventually the current situation will be over.

I'm confused by this "total cancellation" talk here. Not gonna happen. The game is finished and eventually the current situation will be over.
Yeah, it'll see release, just not right now. Hell, if they have to they can eventually just do a soft launch as an eshop-only title or something. The "never getting released" talk is ridiculous.

I think it will probably just be delayed, however I'm more curious about why some people are so certain that it will get a Japanese release. I think as of this moment, there are no plans. They are not just sitting waiting for the American release so that they can then translate the game. That's been done forever ago, the game was originally composed in Japanese, there is no "they couldn't get the translation done in time" or whatever, they just very likely have no interest or plans to release it in Japan.

NES: Simcity, Earthbound Beginnings

SNES: Starfox 2, Special Tee Shot, Kid Kirby

Virtual Boy: Zero Racers

N64: Animal Crossing (Western Release), Sin & Punishment (Western Release), Panel De Pon 64 (Remade into Pokemon Puzzle League; eventually released as part of Nintendo Puzzle Collection for the GCN), The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time: Master Quest (Released on GCN)

GCN: Super Paper Mario (ported over to Wii), DK Barrel Blast (ported to Wii), Kirby Gamecube (parts of this game were salvaged for Kirby's Adventure Wii), Nintendo Puzzle Collection (Western Release)

Wii: Project Zero 4 (Western Release), Disaster Day of Crisis (US Release), Captain Rainbow (Western Release), Line Attack Heroes (Western Release), Pikmin 3 (ported to Wii U)

Wii U: Pikmin 4, Fire Emblem NES English localisation (Ported over to Switch), Mother 3 English (supposedly finished but ultimately had its release cancelled when they started winding down Wii U support in favour of Switch).

GB/C: Pokemon Picross, X (Western Release - this was actually just recently leaked!), Metroid 2 DX, Tomato Adventure (Remade for GBA)

GBA: Drill Dozer EU version, Kururin Paradise EU version, Wario Ware Twisted EU version, Advance Wars 1 JPN version (eventually bundled with Advance Wars 2 when it was released in Japan 3 years later)

DS: Steel Diver DSiware, Daigasso! Band Brothers Western Release (cancelled in favour of releasing the sequel in EU territories instead), Archaic Sealed Heat (Western Release), Advance Wars Days of Ruin JPN version (eventually given away for free as a DSiWare download for a limited time only).

This is disingenuous to the point of being a fabrication. The vast majority of these were not 'cancelled'.

Skipping a region for release does not make a game cancelled. And some of the examples here there is no evidence of a planned release in a region it was 'cancelled' in.

And swapping from a console at the end of its life to the next console does not mean a game was cancelled.

And some like Pikmin 4, never actually existed in the form imagined, 'Pikmin 4' was almost certainly Hey Pikmin. There is zero chance a 95% completed Pikmin 4 has been sat on.

Of that entire list, I think 2-4 games total were actually near completion and cancelled. Over more than 30 years.

This is disingenuous to the point of being a fabrication. The vast majority of these were not 'cancelled'.

Skipping a region for release does not make a game cancelled. And some of the examples here there is no evidence of a planned release in a region it was 'cancelled' in.

And swapping from a console at the end of its life to the next console does not mean a game was cancelled.

And some like Pikmin 4, never actually existed in the form imagined, 'Pikmin 4' was almost certainly Hey Pikmin. There is zero chance a 95% completed Pikmin 4 has been sat on.

Of that entire list, I think 2-4 games total were actually near completion and cancelled. Over more than 30 years.
Plus, we live in an age where at a minimum, Nintendo could quietly slip it onto the eshop and it could still perform decently. That wasn't a possibility in the past for most of those games.

Plus, we live in an age where at a minimum, Nintendo could quietly slip it onto the eshop and it could still perform decently. That wasn't a possibility in the past for most of those games.
Yeah, I mean even ignoring the complete ridiculous ones on that list (Super Paper Mario was 'cancelled' because it was moved to Wii halfway through development LMAO), of the truly finished but shelved games (or even localisations), they eventually actually released Star Fox 2, Earthbound Beginnings, Advance Wars 1 in Japan etc. These were technically just delays.

Back
Top Bottom