• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Acquire's Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed Sells 600K Worldwide

tumblr_oj4tpoM9Ic1w1prgyo1_540.gifv

Well at least it keeps Acquire going about its business unlike other GungHo Online Entertainment subsidiaries like Game Arts or whatever happened to cause Grasshopper Manufacture to split with Supertrick Games remaining while GHM went to Netease. Just a shame it wasn't one of the other more interesting Acquire owned IP selling 600,000 copies worldwide.

On a more positive nod, its good to finally see gameplay for Labyrinth of Zangetsu in the live event & its due September 29th for PC/PS4/Steam.

Last edited:
I’m extremely confused why they’d be making DLC, but I guess that’s their prerogative.
I hate that so much. Akibra's Trip: Undead and Undressed was such a fun game and I finished all routes, even more because it was so fun to play that I went for achievements on my PSV. I've been waiting for a proper Akiba's Trip 3 ever since, instead they make a turn-based sequel and now DLC for an ancient game. Hey. Acquire, people want a NEW Akiba's Trip-entry, can we pls?!

Game Arts is pretty much dead, I think they're just an IP holding company like Treasure now. Funny enough some GA vets who left developed the recent round of Ikaruga ports on Android, Switch and PS4.

So sad what's become of the ESP group companies. I think of the founders only Broccoli, Alfa System and Sting are still standing?

Didn't they also announced a Switch port? It makes that it releases with extra content (the new Kati route) and the older versions get it as DLC. But I haven't seen the Switch version mentioned anywhere outside Famitsu and Japanese Twitter.

I hate that so much. Akibra's Trip: Undead and Undressed was such a fun game and I finished all routes, even more because it was so fun to play that I went for achievements on my PSV. I've been waiting for a proper Akiba's Trip 3 ever since, instead they make a turn-based sequel and now DLC for an ancient game. Hey. Acquire, people want a NEW Akiba's Trip-entry, can we pls?!
d95c9ff77e79c81723334a574b2d4e2c14fb8b74.gif
@Tokuiten to be fair they do have three games out in September & October, it should be noted that Labyrinth of Zangetsu was originally due Summer 2021, perhaps they're behind schedule on what they originally planned. Either way, this live event felt like an re-introduction of the studio to audiences so maybe it'll be an annual event with more of interest to you in years to come.
Game Arts is pretty much dead, I think they're just an IP holding company like Treasure now. Funny enough some GA vets who left developed the recent round of Ikaruga ports on Android, Switch and PS4.

So sad what's become of the ESP group companies. I think of the founders only Broccoli, Alfa System and Sting are still standing?
Agreed 100%, I'm conflicted because while it's better than nothing from a rights perspective if a holding company exists, kinda depressing to see once great studios reduced to such a state.
tumblr_pm30eqgA2v1x6lumfo1_500.gif
While most would be eager for Lunar or Grandia to return in some form (Saturn emulation, save us M2 you are our only hope!), Gungriffon Blaze is my jam, all six glorious levels of it. There used to be dozens of us, but we are destined to hunt down one another throughout the ages, there can be only one with the Quickening that is worthy of playing a new Gungriffon.
giphy.gif
Back on topic! By comparison, we have Acquire offering a deep cut into its back catalogue by remastering Kamiwaza: Way of the Thief for a worldwide launch this October & Class of Heroes 2 on the way at a later date.

Regarding founders & developers published by ESP, CSK is still doing its thing with CRI Middleware but aside from the three you mentioned - Opus is active, Japan Art Media, Lightweight & Genki are still about in some form or another. Hopefully Sting will get its back catalogue ports on Switch released outside Japan, perhaps there is a rights issue with Atlus to be resolved first. Noticed that Alfa System has a new parent company so hopefully funding & support from Meteorise will help them.

ESP was a brilliant idea then & is still now, either as a Japanese version of Embracer Group or a looser coalition of small medium enterprises pooling resources to invest & publish games. The company, while short-lived is a subject worth an in-depth length retrospective or at the very least a thread here with further research needed beforehand with sales data included.

Necro Edit: Fixed gif link because memes are as (un)serious as your life is if you're reading this post.

Last edited:
Acquire announced 4 games and all on platform where it can sell is good. Class of Heroes is going to trigger ptsd on me though. I remember psp era that game is hard as heck.

Back
Top Bottom