• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

NieR: Automata overall shipments top seven million; NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139 tops 1.5 million | UPDATE2: Automata now over 8.0 millions

Nothing signifies SE's lack of focus than it being near 10 years and this being their 2nd best selling IP iteration (above any DQ or KH afaik) not getting a sequel.

FFXVI have great word of mouth too

Is it?

Nothing signifies SE's lack of focus than it being near 10 years and this being their 2nd best selling IP iteration (above any DQ or KH afaik) not getting a sequel.

NieR is a Yoko Taro's brainchild. And Yoko Taro is an independent designer. Square Enix can't create new NieR games without him.

04.04.17 1m (PS4, Steam)
05.29.17 1.5m
09.21.17 2m
03.13.18 2.5m
06.06.18 3m
12.05.18 3.5m (Xbox)
06.05.19 4m
12.24.20 5m
06.22.21 6m (Windows)
06.28.22 6.5m
11.25.22 7m (Switch)
04.23.23 7.5m
02.22.24 8m
Quoting this here for better visibility.

6.5m

edit: Trajectory took off again with the Switch port.

04.04.17 1m (PS4, Steam)
05.29.17 1.5m
09.21.17 2m
03.13.18 2.5m
06.06.18 3m
12.05.18 3.5m (Xbox)
06.05.19 4m
12.24.20 5m
06.22.21 6m (Windows)
06.28.22 6.5m
11.25.22 7m (Switch)
04.23.23 7.5m
02.22.24 8m
And here is that data as a graph, to make it easier to see the trends (this time in the correct thread lol):

image.png

And here is that data as a graph, to make it easier to see the trends (this time in the correct thread lol):

image.png
The graph is relatively linear from the 3m milestone onward at approx. 900k/year. From the 6m milestone onward, it's approx. 800k/year.

Last edited:
Square Enix is mismanaging its IPs big time. Even Dragon Quest, which is its second most important IP, has slow development cycles.
I don't disagree on the overall mismanagement at SE, but there's a substantial difference between DQ having a slow development but us being aware of XII exisiting and NieR just being gone for 3/4 of a decade barring mobile games already on their way to be delisted.

I sympathize with SE if Taro is refusing to make another game in a reasonable amount of time. He could have at least played an advisory role for another director while Taro makesā€¦.whatever it is heā€™s been working on for 7 years.

Nier Automata have great word of mouth but not like that.

FFXVI have great word of mouth too to reach at least 7M

ehhhh. This week 7R2 reaction kinda tells me 16 wom is not as hot as many give it early on lol.

I sympathize with SE if Taro is refusing to make another game in a reasonable amount of time. He could have at least played an advisory role for another director while Taro makesā€¦.whatever it is heā€™s been working on for 7 years.
It's more than likely that Nier/next major Taro game took a backseat to Bablyon's Fall with Nier Reincarnation and Nier Replicant trying to bridge the gap so the actual timetable is closer to 3 years now since both the Nier games came out in 2021. If the next Taro game comes out this year, it isn't too outlandish.

It's more than likely that Nier/next major Taro game took a backseat to Bablyon's Fall with Nier Reincarnation and Nier Replicant trying to bridge the gap so the actual timetable is closer to 3 years now since both the Nier games came out in 2021. If the next Taro game comes out this year, it isn't too outlandish.
Taro also had Nier Replicant, which was probably greenlight around mid-2017 at the earliest. Which that project got outsourced to Toylogic. Replicant, Babylon's Fall, and all of Taro's small side projects are likely why Nier 3 has taken so long. I wouldn't be shocked if work on didn't began until like 2021 right after Replicant shipped.

Well, we're over a decade past Skyrim and still waiting on Elder Scrolls VI...
But the good news is that Starfield wrapped up development, so they probably started development on TESVI in earnest by now šŸ„²

Square Enix is mismanaging its IPs big time. Even Dragon Quest, which is its second most important IP, has slow development cycles.

Dragon Quest has always been bad at development cycles, though, but it has had multiple million-selling releases between the main entries which I think is fine.

Which RPG studios or franchises do you think have actually been hitting good releases cadences in the last decade? Trails does it by making fast sequels with 80% reused assets, and RGG is a streamlined machine that reuses a ton of stuff for annual releases. And... that's it, basically. I think Owlcat's efforts have been commendable with Rogue Trader having a 2 year development cycle but like all CRPGs it came in HOT.

Square Enix tried to stabilize their release schedule by buying Western studios, but that was somehow even worse in terms of stability.

Dragon Quest has always been bad at development cycles, though, but it has had multiple million-selling releases between the main entries which I think is fine.

Which RPG studios or franchises do you think have actually been hitting good releases cadences in the last decade? Trails does it by making fast sequels with 80% reused assets, and RGG is a streamlined machine that reuses a ton of stuff for annual releases. And... that's it, basically. I think Owlcat's efforts have been commendable with Rogue Trader having a 2 year development cycle but like all CRPGs it came in HOT.

Square Enix tried to stabilize their release schedule by buying Western studios, but that was somehow even worse in terms of stability.
Fire Emblem has been having steady and regular releases. Although Three Houses and Engage were lead by different studios. Atelier is having yearly releases.

Fire Emblem has been having steady and regular releases. Although Three Houses and Engage were lead by different studios. Atelier is having yearly releases.
Xenoblade has a very good release cadence too this gen. Disgaea too actually, it's maintained 2-3 new releases per gen since PS2. And SaGa weirdly has had a regular presence, mostly remasters but also a couple new titles.

Back
Top Bottom