• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Xbox's Current Strategy of Rumored Multiplatform Support and Next Gen Hardware

It is never going to be easy, however your preferred path, after over 2 decades in the console market, would be akin to throwing more money into a hole.
I'm sure that's what it might have looked like to Nintendo after the WiiU or Sony after the PS3 but it was in fact not the case. Throwing money into a hole would be in my opinion burning your existing platform and player base to chase a theoretical one while simultaneously destroying the value proposition of your ecosystem.

I think people would still purchase a gaming device even if they could play everything on their phones. Tons of inconveniences add up, plus you can have better performance on dedicated hardware.

Though im not sure what you mean by "console integration".
I mean by that is that you’d have the option for both the traditional console or the native mobile Option. MS has play anywhere so I think they’d want to continue that.

Sounds interesting and potentially disastrous for their own ecosystem, even through their position as publisher is forever secure.
Their sales as so shockingly bad I just think MS will be a multi platform publisher with their focus on services.

It spells a lot to me and as someone who's been an Xbox player but gravitating towards PC anyway I'm making Dragon's Dogma 2 my first major multiplat-that-is-available-on-Xbox a PC purchase instead.

I'm sure that's what it might have looked like to Nintendo after the WiiU or Sony after the PS3 but it was in fact not the case. Throwing money into a hole would be in my opinion burning your existing platform and player base to chase a theoretical one while simultaneously destroying the value proposition of your ecosystem.

It's more of a shift in distribution strategy rather than penetrating an unsubstantiated market - they already have proven products in all those markets, quite literally they own the some of the most successful IPs on console, mobile, PC, there is nothing to risk or prove there. There is no cohesive MS/ABK/Zeni ecosystem, they have to develop it. Xbox will stay a part of that, but it will be unified with a cross platform/platform agnostic ecosystem, which allows MS to play to their organizational strengths: cloud, diversity, development resources, reach, SaaS etc. This will hardly be value distructive in the long term, especially if they are able to create a consistent user experience across all platforms.

We are converging towards that future anyway with other sectors; again, MS is best suited to lead the way in gaming, in many ways not even related to their gaming portfolio.

I think if they acquire an additional publisher - like Sega or Square Enix - they can do that. Everybody will happy. Because the main concern from a lot of Xbox folks is not getting those games due to third party support. I think securing japanese publisher will alleviate a lot of concerns.

Because let's be real - those who has built digital libraries on PS4 and Switch, won't switch due to BC. Similar issue with Steam - people don't bother even installing EGS. And that's just a launcher.

For Xbox, they will have to come up with some cool marketing campaign though. Because sales trajectory is just not that great.

I am ok with them doing that, but pls give me Xbox handheld lol

The issue is the digital lock in. We haven't had that in Wii U and PS3 era. PS4 era was the worst one to lose - because people now stick to their COD, Fortnite, FIFA on those platforms, some additional purchases and have no reason to migrate.

AA games are good for engagement on GP but do not drive subscriptions or console purchases. So MS wants to monetize these AA games on other platforms and select AAA games. They will port some AAA games to see how it impacts hardware and GP sales. They can potentially use Sony/Nintendo B2P sales to generate additional income while they canabolize B2P on their own platform through GP.

that sounds resonable if put alongside @Lelouch0612 post #3 in this very thread
I see yours as the financial reasoning behind that "colors-map"

However, porting your games extend their reach, generate direct revenue and increases the amount of people looking forward to a sequel (which you will have exclusivity on) so that could be benefitial in the long-run.
The problem is that in the modern era people have digital libraries - so they won't go and buy a new platform for a sequel. They can always wait - as their own platform will have some other games to play. Multiplatform releases will erode Xbox as a brand for sure - and without Xbox, Microsoft has no consumer facing products - people don't rush to Windows Store on PC, people don't rush to buy Xbox even. Who will subscribe to Game Pass then? On mobile it will take years to reach App Store or Google Play in MAU. And their Xbox Store is more likely to be used by those who use Xbox.

Fundamentally, Microsoft is not ready to start releasing games third party - not without further acquisitions because there is always a possibility to lose games. I still suspect that Microsoft is looking at everything from USA perspective.

Worth remembering if MS do want to continue with mergers then third party might be the only means of getting through the regulatory side of things. This doesn’t just impact Xbox but the wider company - the cloud stuff shows there are wider considerations they have to manage.

Worth remembering if MS do want to continue with mergers then third party might be the only means of getting through the regulatory side of things. This doesn’t just impact Xbox but the wider company - the cloud stuff shows there are wider considerations they have to manage.
I think this would only be at issue with regulators depending on the purchase. And for 3rd party game makers that's probably a shortlist of EA, T2 or Epic, whose big properties would remain multi regardless.

The only regulator globally they really had issue with on ABK was CMA (UK) and the lasting ramifications of that mess being MS offloaded cloud rights to Ubisoft for a set window while CMA has since reprioritized to "grow the economy".

The issue is the digital lock in. We haven't had that in Wii U and PS3 era. PS4 era was the worst one to lose - because people now stick to their COD, Fortnite, FIFA on those platforms, some additional purchases and have no reason to migrate.
Digital libraries were certainly a thing when switch launched in 2017. They create more friction to switching sure but people are entering the console space all the time too. It's not just the same set of consumers.

But if they see that all your games might eventually go to the competitors platform why invest in yours?

Interesting

Digital libraries were certainly a thing when switch launched in 2017
The thing is that Switch is the only console sold due to exclusives. The only one. Not to mention Switch swallowed Nintendo DS community that was pretty distinct as no other handheld existed at that time.

That's weird to put Fallout 76 on the left side. It's far more the right side.
Yeah, putting the Fallout franchise in the "niche" category struck me as well. It's certainly not on the blockbuster status of Call of Duty or Minecraft, but it's also a much more well-established and popular franchise than something like Psychonauts.

I think this may be an admission that MSFT has given up on its ambitions of being a dominant gaming platform and wants profitability and IP growth over losing money for platfom adoption. Even if we were to say Gamepass is their platform, not only has it stalled and been effectively dismissed by the big third parties, GP is critically reliant on Xbox consoles.
  • 80% of all GP subs are on Xbox was the last known figure in 2022.
  • 90% of their sub revenue is from Xbox due to Gold
  • Phil just mentioned in his testimony that 2022 was the first year PC revenue reached $1B.....thats 6% of total revenue.

• PC growth has been far too slow, we know they missed their PC projection by like 70%.
  • iOS/Android are not going to let it on anytime soon globally, let alone the low odds it has against the App/Play store.
  • PS/Nintendo actively bar it and nothing is going to change that anytime soon, if ever. A weak Xbox console will only increase the dominance and leverage Playstation has the longer it goes on.

Meanwhile, the rate that Xbox is declining is actively damaging their IPs and causing revenue decline that can't be countered by off platform GP growth and so they need to make a decision sooner than later.

The idea that Xbox games on other platforms will help their IP popularity makes sense.
The idea that this increase popularity will cause PS/Nintendo users to buy Xbox.....much less so.
The idea that this increase in GP or Xbox adoption will counter the decline of Xbox platform as it's IPs go multiplat....even less.

Being the platform owner, especially if you have dominant marketshare is always more profitable and revenue driving. MSFT should know this more than anyone else (and they do from the Apple v Epic leaked docs) after what Apple and Google did to them in mobile and what Playstation is doing to them in console.

So yeah, either this is MSFT doing the slow change to 3rd Party pub or they think there's some big cross-pollination effect that their IPs need, to which I say:
  • this will only speed up the already quick decline of the Xbox console, which 80% of GP is dependent on, and MSFT will struggle to make GP less dependent on Xbox at a rate faster than that. Time is key.

Yeah, putting the Fallout franchise in the "niche" category struck me as well. It's certainly not on the blockbuster status of Call of Duty or Minecraft, but it's also a much more well-established and popular franchise than something like Psychonauts.
Fallout 76*, not so much the Fallout franchise.

I think this may be an admission that MSFT has given up on its ambitions of being a dominant gaming platform and wants profitability and IP growth over losing money for platfom adoption. Even if we were to say Gamepass is their platform, not only has it stalled and been effectively dismissed by the big third parties, GP is critically reliant on Xbox consoles.
  • Phil just mentioned in his testimony that 2022 was the first year PC revenue reached $1B.....thats 6% of total revenue.

• PC growth has been far too slow, we know they missed their PC projection by like 70%.
  • iOS/Android are not going to let it on anytime soon globally, let alone the low odds it has against the App/Play store.
  • PS/Nintendo actively bar it and nothing is going to change that anytime soon, if ever. A weak Xbox console will only increase the dominance and leverage Playstation has the longer it goes on.

Meanwhile, the rate that Xbox is declining is actively damaging their IPs and causing revenue decline that can't be countered by off platform GP growth and so they need to make a decision sooner than later.

The idea that Xbox games on other platforms will help their IP popularity makes sense.
The idea that this increase popularity will cause PS/Nintendo users to buy Xbox.....much less so.
The idea that this increase in GP or Xbox adoption will counter the decline of Xbox platform as it's IPs go multiplat....even less.

Being the platform owner, especially if you have dominant marketshare is always more profitable and revenue driving. MSFT should know this more than anyone else (and they do from the Apple v Epic leaked docs) after what Apple and Google did to them in mobile and what Playstation is doing to them in console.

So yeah, either this is MSFT doing the slow change to 3rd Party pub or they think there's some big cross-pollination effect that their IPs need, to which I say:
  • this will only speed up the already quick decline of the Xbox console, which 80% of GP is dependent on, and MSFT will struggle to make GP less dependent on Xbox at a rate faster than that. Time is key.
The way forward seems very obvious to me:

1. Release "fitting" games on Switch 2 (Sea of Thieves and HFR are a good start) on a case-by-case basis.
2. Release nothing on Playstation (even big new GaaS should only be on PC + Xbox + Switch 2).
3. Release the "big" games only on Xbox and PC.

This strategy optimizes for both revenue and platform adoption. It's a legit middle way and I don't see evidence of Microsoft being forced to a make an exclusionary choice.

The key to keeping the Xbox platform relevant is to keep building a portfolio of good exclusive games. It took some time but now they're finally in the position to do that, and they're supposed to throw that away and go 3rd party? Doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe back in 2018 when they had literally 5 studios, terrible console sales and no Gamepass, but definitely not now.

1. Release "fitting" games on Switch 2 (Sea of Thieves and HFR are a good start) on a case-by-case basis.
With this stretegy, there is no reason for anyone playing on Nintendo systems to own an Xbox.
If those people whant a second console it will Always be the Playstation.

No talking about the brand damage of releasing games on Nintendo platforms.

Xbox must differentiate itself from Playstation and Nintendo with games that cannot be found anywhere else.

I think they should ditch the series x or stronger model and just stick with the S/cheaper model going into the next generation. Just provide something cheap for people to jump into the current generation and purchase your games at a discount with.

Going head for head in the power race with Sony when you are still marketing to PC users just seems like a waste of resources.
Giving up AAA market on plate to Sony will be disastrous. People don't buy Series S because its GPU is like PS4 pro which released in 2016, its just not proper next gen console. It shows there is huge number of people willing to pay more for premium consoles and AAA games upfront.

Vast majority of people willing to pay $70 day 1 for games are on XB/PS. Which is why biggest game of the generation will skip PC on release.

Source on this ?
Well technically european market is the example? Despite the existence of Game Pass, Series consoles are far behind than Playstation.

Granted Xbox 360 success was the result of it being 200 euros cheaper and launching earlier and PS3 still won in Europe...

Pressure is on Phil to demonstrate continued revenue growth now that MS has invested over $80B into the division. He needs quick revenue wins and that’s why they are porting old games to competitor platforms. At the same time, he’s spinning fantasies of “disrupting play store” on mobile, when they can’t even compete with Steam, which is operating a platform on an OS they actually own 😂😂. He needs to keep spinning fantasies to the higher ups, to justify continued support. At some point, this will all catch up to him.

I think the smart play for MS is to gobble up PC gaming and make that their platform. Cloud is the other option they’re pursuing but that’s still a play for the console market.

While releasing their first party games on other consoles may be beneficial to me personally, for them business wise I believe it's stupid. You can't build up a varied library of quality exclusives if xou keep releasing some of them on other platforms, especially when it's one of their best ones like Hi-Fi Rush.
I don't see people actually buying an Xbox for the sequel then but instead wait for said sequel to come to their console too. Which is what I would do.

While releasing their first party games on other consoles may be beneficial to me personally, for them business wise I believe it's stupid. You can't build up a varied library of quality exclusives if xou keep releasing some of them on other platforms, especially when it's one of their best ones like Hi-Fi Rush.
I don't see people actually buying an Xbox for the sequel then but instead wait for said sequel to come to their console too. Which is what I would do.
AA games don’t really drive console sales but they have driven great engagement on GP. But it’s hard to directly monetize engagement, so they’re going to do that in competitor platforms, while advertising that all these great games are much cheaper on GP.

Even if they were exclusive I won’t buy an Xbox since I own a PC and a Switch Oled. I was an old Xbox user that owned both Xbox and Xbox 360 but realized that I had a PC that got %95 of games that Xbox got.

Also don’t forget that Xbox as a brand is in a steep decline since the late 360 years (late Xbox 360 got a big boost by the blue wave or casual market).

With this stretegy, there is no reason for anyone playing on Nintendo systems to own an Xbox.
If those people whant a second console it will Always be the Playstation.

No talking about the brand damage of releasing games on Nintendo platforms.

Xbox must differentiate itself from Playstation and Nintendo with games that cannot be found anywhere else.
So they'll pull a Sega and say no Night Games™ for Switch. If you want Starfield, Hellblade or Halo you still have to get an Xbox (or PC/phone). Maybe Switch gets a chibi Halo Tactica though.

Two reasons come to mind: power and GP.
GP hasn't been a thing to help them much with the games being exclusive now, why would it help when they are dropping games on another console? Anyone who owns a Nintendo in this situation and wants a second console will go to PS since it would be the only console that has games that are missing.

In the case Xbox moves to day one on another console, it will be for all of them, not just one.

Honestly, Sony should consider some more Switch ports too potentially. Like maybe relevant massmarket legacy ports like TLOU1 (PS3/4 release) or maybe Aniplex could license old NES/GB/SNES/N64 stuff (SME/Epic/Imagesoft/Psygnosis) for NSO. There's revenue to be made and it's not like these games are really selling PlayStations either.

Honestly, Sony should consider some more Switch ports too potentially. Like maybe relevant massmarket legacy ports like TLOU1 (PS3/4 release) or maybe Aniplex could license old NES/GB/SNES/N64 stuff (SME/Epic/Imagesoft/Psygnosis) for NSO. There's revenue to be made and it's not like these games are really selling PlayStations either.
By this definition, Nintendo should also be porting their games to other consoles as there's revenue to be made.

By this definition, Nintendo should also be porting their games to other consoles as there's revenue to be made.
Nintendo games are the primary sales driver for Nintendo consoles, same can't be said of PlayStation and Xbox. They follow a different strategic model where 1st party is more additive.

Besides, SIE already supports legacy PC ports and licensor console multi (MLB) so they're already doing this anyway to some degree. And SIE's already said, under oath, they don't consider Switch a competitive platform as well. So why not?

AA games don’t really drive console sales but they have driven great engagement on GP. But it’s hard to directly monetize engagement, so they’re going to do that in competitor platforms, while advertising that all these great games are much cheaper on GP.
Singular AA games on their own don't drive console sales, but a large number of them with variety among them may create a more favorable image of the brand in the long run and lead to better hardware sales in combination with great bigger games.

Nintendo games are the primary sales driver for Nintendo consoles, same can't be said of PlayStation and Xbox. They follow a different strategic model where 1st party is more additive.

Besides, SIE already supports legacy PC ports and licensor console multi (MLB) so they're already doing this anyway to some degree.
Additive or not, 1st party it's a reason for an audience to choose a console over another. PS and Xbox have almost identical libraries, if 3rd parties were the only reason they sell, the gap shouldn't be 2:1 now. We also have clear evidence on sales charts of how their big games help to move consoles, or Spider-Man is not a system seller now?

Not all Nintendo games are console sellers, following this strategy, stuff like Xenoblade, Bayonetta, etc would also make more sense to receive ports to other platforms.

After this Xbox news, a lot of people are trying to push the "Sony will do it too", but I expect that in a forum like this one, people have the more common sense to understand why Xbox is even contemplating this. Their position on the market isn't the same as Sony or Nintendo.

Additive or not, 1st party it's a reason for an audience to choose a console over another. PS and Xbox have almost identical libraries, if 3rd parties were the only reason they sell, the gap shouldn't be 2:1 now. We also have clear evidence on sales charts of how their big games help to move consoles, or Spider-Man is not a system seller now?

Not all Nintendo games are console sellers, following this strategy, stuff like Xenoblade, Bayonetta, etc would also make more sense to receive ports to other platforms.

After this Xbox news, a lot of people are trying to push the "Sony will do it too", but I expect that in a forum like this one, people have the more common sense to understand why Xbox is even contemplating this. Their position on the market isn't the same as Sony or Nintendo.
The line continually moves, people lost it over Xbox and later PS supporting a PC strategy too originally and now that's pretty much something only deranged platform diehards angst over. I see this as another step for Xbox (a step they'd started previously going by reliable insiders but drew back on when the shifted focus to GP started) and in time will probably be normalized like PC was. That doesn't mean PS will follow their lead again (and definitely not anytime soon imo) but it's a fun possibility to consider longer term.

Nintendo is a different boat entirely though, they've maintained full software exclusivity and they're the only platform maker still following the old 1980s console model of being a self reliant software driver, where 3rd party instead is considered additive. Nintendo's also incredibly profitable and unlike SIE/MSG don't have the razor thin margins on their business that might necessitate looking to additional revenue streams. Hell, even their mobile ventures aren't about revenue, they're glorified advertising.

If we're talking about what their positions are financially and strategically, PS & Xbox have way more in common with Nintendo being the odd one out. And I know you're informed enough to understand the reality of that.

The line continually moves, people lost it over Xbox and later PS supporting a PC strategy too originally and now that's pretty much something only deranged platform diehards angst over. I see this as another step for Xbox (a step they'd started previously going by reliable insiders but drew back on when the shifted focus to GP started) and in time will probably be normalized like PC was. That doesn't mean PS will follow their lead again (and definitely not anytime soon imo) but it's a fun possibility to consider longer term.

Nintendo is a different boat entirely though, they've maintained full software exclusivity and they're the only platform maker still following the old 1980s console model of being a self reliant software driver, where 3rd party instead is considered additive. Nintendo's also incredibly profitable and unlike SIE/MSG don't have the razor thin margins on their business that might necessitate looking to additional revenue streams. Hell, even their mobile ventures aren't about revenue, they're glorified advertising.

If we're talking about what their positions are financially and strategically, PS & Xbox have way more in common with Nintendo being the odd one out. And I know you're informed enough to understand the reality of that.
If we're going to consider possibilities in long-term scenarios, at some point the market will also require Nintendo to make more money from their own IPs and if they're not able to make that inside their own console they'll pursue other ventures.

If we're going to consider possibilities in long-term scenarios, at some point the market will also require Nintendo to make more money from their own IPs and if they're not able to make that inside their own console they'll pursue other ventures.
Sure, Nintendo's not blind to the potential precariousness of platform resets and they are making forward looking moves too. That's why they are (quite successfully) diversifying their IP outside gaming with films and parks. At some point we'll probably face if the console model in general is still viable and what shape gaming ecosystems should take.

But these things are so far in the future (beyond 10 years imo, unless Switch 2 utterly faceplants) that it's hard to argue any meaningful equivalency. Look, the conversation might be different if Nintendo's 1st party was barely breaking even, their hardware followed a razor/blade model, and they were already doing late PC ports and even console multi for some F2P and sports games. Except they're not and there's no real driving need to either. There's zero real equivalency to PlayStation really in terms of position.

We've just seen clear examples from the Insomniac leak that Sony, despite their strong position in the market, is struggling to earn consistently high profits and deal with the absurd costs that come with AAA gaming. I think it's likely that Sony will eventually put some of their older exclusives on other platforms as well. Doing so could mitigate risk considerably. For Microsoft, this potential strategy could be helpful since they aren't selling that well outside of the US and UK. Console sales might improve once the heavy hitters start releasing regularly throughout 2024 and 2025, but it's doubtful they'll gain much ground in Europe and other countries where interest in Xbox is nonexistent. It's not like this means that they won't have any exclusives. The next Elder Scrolls will still be a console seller when it releases in a few years.

We've just seen clear examples from the Insomniac leak that Sony, despite their strong position in the market, is struggling to earn consistently high profits and deal with the absurd costs that come with AAA gaming. I think it's likely that Sony will eventually put some of their older exclusives on other platforms as well. Doing so could mitigate risk considerably. For Microsoft, this potential strategy could be helpful since they aren't selling that well outside of the US and UK. Console sales might improve once the heavy hitters start releasing regularly throughout 2024 and 2025, but it's doubtful they'll gain much ground in Europe and other countries where interest in Xbox is nonexistent. It's not like this means that they won't have any exclusives. The next Elder Scrolls will still be a console seller when it releases in a few years.

You might have misread the docs, because the leaked sales numbers and revenues show how insanely profitable big AAA hits are for Sony and how well their games sell.

Miles Morales alone brought in $300-400M profit, thats almost as much as the entirety of Capcom.

Companies cutting workers =/ struggling.
The most profitable companies in the world often do layoffs. Its shareholder capitalism, numbers trimmed to keep margins and profits at all time highs or growing.

Also, even MSFT likely knows Starfield was their biggest heavy hitter and that has still led to a 15-25% decline in XBS sales.

Given recent rumors I just think:

- Zenimax output (Starfield, Indiana Jones, Blade, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Hi-Fi Rush, Doom, Elder Scrolls 6…) are all temporal console XB exclusives for 1/2 years. After that, they will be ported to PS and Nintendo systems. This includes new games and remasters.
- Activision-Blizzard output (COD, Crash, Spyro, Tony Hawk, Diablo, Overwatch, etc) will all be day 1 multiplatform, no console exclusives.
- Microsoft Studios other output (Halo, Gears, Forza, Sea of Thieves, Avowed, Hellblade 2, …) will still remain console exclusive for XB systems for some years (+3/4?). Some GaaS like Sea of Thieves will probably appear in other systems but much later.

In addition, everything I mentioned above will be day 1 on GamePass.

You might have misread the docs, because the leaked sales numbers and revenues show how insanely profitable big AAA hits are for Sony and how well their games sell.

Miles Morales alone brought in $300-400M profit, thats almost as much as the entirety of Capcom.

The most profitable companies in the world often do layoffs. Its shareholder capitalism, numbers trimmed to keep margins and profits at all time highs or growing.

Also, even MSFT likely knows Starfield was their biggest heavy hitter and that has still led to a 15-25% decline in XBS sales.
MM was $104m in profit ($156m dev vs $260m rev)? Or are there newer figures somewhere?

While individual games like Miles Morales earn high profits, the amount of money Sony spends is also extremely high, which is one of the reasons why they started porting their games to PC after a couple of years. Sony doesn't need to port a small selection of their older games to Switch or Xbox right now, but I think they might consider doing so if AAA development costs continue to rise.

While individual games like Miles Morales earn high profits, the amount of money Sony spends is also extremely high, which is one of the reasons why they started porting their games to PC after a couple of years. Sony doesn't need to port a small selection of their older games to Switch or Xbox right now, but I think they might consider doing so if AAA development costs continue to rise.
Also, from their IR 1st party software overall is pulling a thin margin, we talked about that with their previous report and how Bungie would hopefully improve that. Spidey's really the exception, not the rule.

MM was $104m in profit ($156m dev vs $260m rev)? Or are there newer figures somewhere?

Yes,
June 2023

Units = 14.4M
Net sales = $554M
Profit (with license fee) = $270M
Profit (without license fee) = $377M

Profit is revenue - cost, so regardless of how much Sony is spending making these games, they are returning, aka ROI even more.
In fact the reason Sony can spend so much is because these games make so much money.

Spiderman total revenue (SM + SM Remaster) is likely near $1B+ . Its dev+marketing cost was $185M
Ghost of Tsushima is nearing $600M+, its dev budget was just $60M

And these are PS4 gen games. Their PS5 equivalents have been performing even better that PS4 prequels (GT7, HFW, GoW, RC) and at $70, a 15% increase in price.

Doubling revenue on just 5m (30%) more units though? Something's not adding up?
The last 4.2m copies that were sold allegedly made almost $300m in net(!) revenue. That's an average of $70 per copy sold, while the game has been on (deep) sale several times. The numbers truly don't add up at all.

Discussion Point #1: Xbox Rumored to Port Multiple Games to PS5 and Switch
Sources
Jeff Grubb: Sea of Thieves
Nate Drake: Critically acclaimed title (Hi-Fi Rush speculated)
Windows Central: Some Back Catalog games

Over the weekend, Nate Drake said that he had heard an Xbox game that was in the GOTY conversation the year it was released would be ported to a competitor platform in 2024. It was then quickly speculated to be Hi-Fi Rush which then sparked more discussion on what it even means to have this game ported at all. Was it because of Tango wanting more Japanese players to interact with their work, was Hi-Fi Rush just the right fit for Switch, or was it indicative of a broader change in Microsoft's exclusive strategy. Since then, more insiders have come out and claimed even more titles would be ported from Xbox's back catalog, including Sea of Thieves to PS5 and Switch, one of Microsoft's few recent successes as both a new IP and GAAS. Windows Central claims it's heard some games are being ported this year.

Discussion Point #2: Xbox Next Gen is a hybrid ARM console
Sources
Tom Warren

Last year when Microsoft's documents leaked in error during the FTC ABK trial, we learned about Xbox's Gen 10 plans and roadmap. Here they are again if you forgot

One key aspect about the specs sheet is Microsoft deciding between an x64 CPU and ARM64. Why this is important is technical but in a cliff notes summary, x64 and ARM are two different architectures in computing, with no cross compatibility between the two. ARM64 is more used in mobile devices, like phones and your Nintendo Switch, while x64 is primarily laptops and PC. You have a Windows, or know what 32-bit and 64-bit programs are? You're on that architecture, along with recent AMD powered consoles like XB1, PS4, XBS, and PS5.

Microsoft's goal for Gen 10 Xbox is to be a hybrid platform that can use the native power of the console combined with online connected cloud power to create new, real time experiences. With the recent developments of AI in the software space like Nvidia's DLSS upscale tech or Microsoft's own investments into AI in general, there is a sense that Xbox is going to be transitioning into a more Microsoft friendly device. That meaning Xbox will be closer to the goals and aspirations and tech that Microsoft is invested in than ever before. Windows has been ported to ARM, the new Surface lineup in 2024 is going to be AI powered with an ARM CPU according to Windows Central. Xbox in 2028 releasing as an x64 high powered high-cost device sounds counter to what Microsoft is in the moment pivoting towards.

What would this mean for the gaming market? In short, Gen 10 Xbox would be starting from the back foot. No current Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, or Xbox Series game has been for ARM, only x64. Backwards compatibility would require emulation to work, like it currently does on Windows 11 platforms. Native ARM development would mainly come from new games released, not legacy titles.

From a hardware standpoint, it also looks like Xbox will be going for a lower powered solution, likely to avoid $100's in losses on hardware like with Series S and X and to push for the ideal that Microsoft will be able to capitalize on their cloud power solution. We could be looking at a console that won't do native 8K gaming in 2028, but rather 4K native with AI upscale. It's unlikely to hit the Series S price of $299, even the Switch 2 is speculated to be $399, so would Microsoft stick with a two SKU X|S plan if instead the console can be natively weak like the S, but when connected to Xbox servers sees increased performance and image quality like the X? This could also open Microsoft up to a more mobile platform rollout where instead of releasing a new generation every 7 to 8 years, they instead update the hardware every 4 to 5, packing new AI hardware and somewhat more powerful native specs.

Current Xbox Series sales are not pretty. Ampere estimates it was outsold 3:1 by PS5, Series X was just discounted to a steep $349 price back in December after posting an over 20% drop YOY in the US this past November, and Series S at $299 isn't helping much. Microsoft just went through a massive acquisition for Activision Blizzard King in the hopes of expanding into mobile and growing Game Pass and other gaming revenue Xbox already generates. A shift in exclusivity (which as of now is still in rumor land, not official) and hardware design along with the recent acquisitions are saying loudly that Xbox is changing. It's been changing since 2016 with the reintroduction of its library to PC and the Play Anywhere initiative, and Game Pass in 2017, a popular subscription that has an estimated +30M subscribers after the recent Xbox Live Gold conversion, and promoting Steam releases in addition to the Windows Store.

Turning a business into a more open platform and converting popular pay to own licenses into recurring subscription services is what Microsoft did after 2014 when Satya Nadella took over as CEO. Xbox has been slowly converging inwards towards a Microsoft device in a Microsoft ecosystem, when generations before, the mindset was Xbox being an underground club, some third cousin that sat under the Windows division, doing its own thing so long as it made money. A more multiplatform game approach with a likely lower powered hardware offering would be the culmination of a soon to be 10 year transition for Xbox.

What do you guys think about the discussion points? I tried laying out the reports as well as my own take on the matter.
My only thing is that you can’t have ARM and x86_64 on the same and working flawlessly together.

What I think the hybrid refers to is their Cloud initiative, anyone remember the power of the cloud thing from XBox One?

Doubling revenue on just 5m (30%) more units though? Something's not adding up?

14.4M, $554M adds up fine. ASP $38

The last 4.2m copies that were sold allegedly made almost $300m in net(!) revenue. That's an average of $70 per copy sold, while the game has been on (deep) sale several times. The numbers truly don't add up at all.

Spartacus i31 spreadsheet

LTD Q1 21
7.7M sold
$302M Net sales

I think you guys are looking at the slide of projections, not actual results. Its the first OP post in the thread. Those are projections.

Two reasons come to mind: power and GP.
Since both of these are on PC too, I think MS needs to adapt the console strategy a bit in the future. The next Xbox "console" will be strictly worse than a PC and have no advantages compared to other consoles since it will have no console exclusives and 3rd party support will dwindle even more, however if the console is more windows-like and lets you install Steam and mods, itll have a niche I think.

If that is Microsoft's future strategy it's very foolish.

Exclusives sell hardware when you aren't the dominant multiplat system (PS5/PC). Porting exclusives to other platforms give millions of consumers no reason to purchase your hardware. They are doomed.

Microsoft's viable roads to take are:
1. Win back the multiplatform audience. They could have made a dent at this with TES6 exclusivity, and a HUGE dent with COD.
2. Consistent release quality 1st party exclusives that sell your hardware.

They're doing neither. This "synergy" approach of releasing all 1st parties on PC, releasing some on Switch, and letting COD stay on PlayStation is not a winning formula. They need to double down on exclusivity and push Xbox hardware

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom