• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Illumination and Nintendo Announce New Animated Film Based on the World of Super Mario Bros.

tentacle-tropes

Enthusiast
This new animated film based on the world of Super Mario Bros. is planned to be released on April 3, 2026 in the US and many additional markets globally with select territories releasing throughout the month of April.

The film will be produced by Chris Meledandri, Founder and CEO of Illumination and Shigeru Miyamoto, Representative Director, Fellow of Nintendo, directed by Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic, and written by Matthew Fogel. The film will be co-financed by Universal Pictures and Nintendo and distributed theatrically worldwide by Universal Pictures.
I posted it in another thread but thought it deserved its own thread instead. Very interested to see what plots points they’ll do here & if they’ll fix upon the flaws of the first.

Nintendo is really going all in on having a new company pillar in movies and theme parks, which is natural because for years Nintendo has wanted to find new avenues to diversify their business. Even if gaming of course will remain the main pillar.

2 years from now, making it 3 years apart from the first movie. So the question is Donkey Kong, Luigi Mansion or Just Super Mario Bros 2?

The first film was a huge success and a lovely piece. It only makes sense to continue the partnership. Good to hear it's actually happening. A bit sad of course that we still have to wait 2 more years, but I bet it will be worth it.

I guess my expectation that we are going to get DK movie as next is probably wrong then. Feels like Nintendo is taking a safer route and prob will focus with Sequel for Mario Bros movie there.

They didn't outright say it was a sequel, just a part of the Super Mario world. DK/Luigi could still happen imho.

The way they are talking about it i feel is simple sequel. Also the date which is 2026 would not suit the DK themepark launch plan on 2025. So it is safer to just do Sequel. But we will see more info on upcoming days.

most likely a straight sequel as that makes most sense, spinoffs can come later when this pillar is more "established"

Do Mario have other enemies other than Bowser they could use for the sequel or do they need to reuse Bowser every movie like the games do?

If the next movie is more a DK movie they could go with King K. Rool.

They won't top the numbers of the first because it will lack the novelty, but even half of those numbers are a big success. It's still wild that they reached the success of the top Disney and Pixar films right out of the gate.

And with the expansion into movies and theme parks, I am sure Nintendo is starting to see more merchandise sales, which is where the real money lies.

Do Mario have other enemies other than Bowser they could use for the sequel or do they need to reuse Bowser every movie like the games do?

From the main games, there is Wart. Wario as well.

They could also pull from Paper Mario if need be

yes mario has other enemy bosses, even if from spinoffs but nothing says they can't come up with a one If need be, would be the perfect time to come up with the next generation of enemies/characters in general mario and nintendo franchises as a whole will want to be reinvigorated from next-gen on, mario wonder/mario movie is only the first step/sneak peak in this progression

It's Illumination.
I'd expect that they'll play it safe and won't change lanes into a spin-off of sort and probably do Bowser as antagonist again, instead of doing a Donkey Kong story.

Considering the positive reaction to Peaches, it's definitely going to focus on the 'relationship' between Bowser and Princess more.

This is Miyamoto. We are now creating a new animated film based on the world of Super Mario Bros. This film is planned for release in theaters on April 3rd, 2026 in the US and many other markets, and throughout the month of April in other territories.
We'll let you know the details once we're ready to share more. This time too, the staff at Illumination and Nintendo are working together. We're thinking about broadening Mario's world further, and it'll have a bright and fun story. We hope you'll look forward to it!
The interesting part is the 2nd paragraph where Miyamoto says Illumination and Nintendo will be working together and that the world of Mario will be broadened.

IMO this sounds llike they will introduce elements (i.e. characters, worlds, power-ups, etc) in the Mario movie that haven't been seen before in previous Mario games that may end up in future Mario games, given the larger Nintendo/Illumination collaboration here. It would at the very least alleviate some criticisms of the movie being too nostalgia/easter egg-driven.

Last edited:

The interesting part is the 2nd paragraph where Miyamoto says Illumination and Nintendo will be working together and that the world of Mario will be broadened.

IMO this sounds llike they will introduce elements (i.e. characters, worlds, power-ups, etc) in the Mario movie that haven't been seen before in previous Mario games that may end up in future Mario games, given the larger Nintendo/Illumination collaboration here. It would at the very least alleviate some criticisms of the movie being too nostalgia/easter egg-driven.

you've played nintendogs, you've pounced in catsuits, u even journeyed with the nintendog Shiba inu when he cameod in Mario Odyssey, now unleash ur true cuteness with ....
... puppydog Mario!
puppydog Mario!

Back
Top Bottom