• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Examining Square Enix's (lack of) Xbox support

i wonder if anyone truly cares about this if Sony didn’t lock down final fantasy exclusivity. I can’t imagine xbox players causing a big ruckus over Live A Live and Pixel Remaster, just like they aren’t really with Battle Network.

Xbox mostly gets everything else. Judging by the list above square enix seems like the 3rd party publisher putting out the widest range of games on every platform.

Which games did Sony block though?

The majority of the JRPGs that skip Xbox also release on Switch, which would be a much bigger issue for Sony if they were looking to stamp out nascent competition. Sony definitely didn't pay to block the release of Octopath 2 on Xbox considering the vast majority of the marketing was aligned with Nintendo, and Live a Live is a late port from Switch.

Switch also had to put up real results for most RPG developers to give it the time of day, and some like Falcom and Compile Heart, are only really adopting it now when the platform is 6 years old.
No one is saying that Sony paid SE to block Octopath 2 from being on Xbox.

The lack of a JRPG market on Xbox is both a result in Microsoft's failure to invest in exclusive content in genre, either through exclusivity contracts for third party games or first party development, and Sony's paid exclusivity for major IPs in the genre, namely Final Fantasy. (Kingdom Hearts and Persona too) Sony recognized that Microsoft was making some inroads in the genre back in the 360 era and moved to cut them off from the JRPG market. Microsoft also failed to invest at all in the genre until just recently by splashing some Gamepass money for late ports.

The Switch comparison isn't exactly equivalent because the Switch doesn't exist in a vacuum. Xbox is barely above zero in terms of JRPG support and engagement. Nintendo has been building its own JRPG audience separate from Sony's for ages now thanks to their handheld dominance. Nintendo's relationship with Team Asano is three generations in the making, dating back to the DS. In general Nintendo's handhelds have allowed them continued relevance and audience building for their entire existence, meaning even when they had home consoles that under performed they were never 'out'.

This is not something Microsoft had in their favor and not something they can replicate going forward. This particular incident and others regarding Microsoft and their ability to compete can be seen as what happens to a platform holder when they have essentially been in third place for their entire existence. The audience you get is the one you build yourself and invest in. Microsoft's ability to invest in the JRPG market has been hamstrung by Sony snapping up the biggest third party names to be exclusive to their console, meaning Microsoft must either pay for the scraps or build their own JRPGs. They tried both on the 360 and neither paid off. Microsoft probably should have kept trying, but they didn't.

The lack of a JRPG market on Xbox is both a result in Microsoft's failure to invest in exclusive content in genre, either through exclusivity contracts for third party games or first party development, and Sony's paid exclusivity for major IPs in the genre, namely Final Fantasy. (Kingdom Hearts and Persona too) Sony recognized that Microsoft was making some inroads in the genre back in the 360 era and moved to cut them off from the JRPG market. Microsoft also failed to invest at all in the genre until just recently by splashing some Gamepass money for late ports.

The Switch comparison isn't exactly equivalent because the Switch doesn't exist in a vacuum. Xbox is barely above zero in terms of JRPG support and engagement. Nintendo has been building its own JRPG audience separate from Sony's for ages now thanks to their handheld dominance. Nintendo's relationship with Team Asano is three generations in the making, dating back to the DS. In general Nintendo's handhelds have allowed them continued relevance and audience building for their entire existence, meaning even when they had home consoles that under performed they were never 'out'.

This is not something Microsoft had in their favor and not something they can replicate going forward. This particular incident and others regarding Microsoft and their ability to compete can be seen as what happens to a platform holder when they have essentially been in third place for their entire existence. The audience you get is the one you build yourself and invest in. Microsoft's ability to invest in the JRPG market has been hamstrung by Sony snapping up the biggest third party names to be exclusive to their console, meaning Microsoft must either pay for the scraps or build their own JRPGs. They tried both on the 360 and neither paid off. Microsoft probably should have kept trying, but they didn't.

Is there any evidence that KH was a paid exclusive? Same with Persona?

I feel like you're just making shit up. Atlus has always had dire multi-platform support. They pick a platform and then support for years beyond where it makes sense. I really don't think Sony was paying for PS2 exclusivity literally years after PS3 and XBox 360 were out.

Is there any evidence that KH was a paid exclusive? Same with Persona?

I feel like you're just making shit up. Atlus has always had dire multi-platform support. They pick a platform and then support for years beyond where it makes sense. I really don't think Sony was paying for PS2 exclusivity literally years after PS3 and XBox 360 were out.
It makes no difference towards the point I am making.

Q: Why does Xbox get worse multiplatform JRPG support than other systems?
A: Because the JRPG market on Xbox is very small and many of these ports would not turn a profit.

Q: Why is the JRPG market on Xbox small?
A: Because Xbox doesn't have any notable exclusive JRPG content, and most of the top selling JRPGs are missing from the platform entirely.

The reasoning behind a popular JRPG franchise being exclusive to another platform is ultimately meaningless, only the end result of that exclusivity is what created the situation Xbox is currently in. Maybe Sony never gave Atlus any kind of support or assurance for Persona 5 and its Playstation exclusivity was solely Atlus' decision. Whether the game was moneyhatted or not, the end result is the same: if you are a JRPG fan then you should buy a Playstation and not an Xbox.

Final Fantasy XIII and XV were both on Xbox day one, and Final Fantasy XIV was PS exclusive partially due to stipulations Microsoft had about crossplay which couldn't be reconciled.

Perhaps a better point is that JRPG support has only gotten better for Xbox since Final Fantasy went exclusive, because in the period between FFXIII-XV IPs like Tales, Star Ocean, anything Atlus totally skipped Xbox during that period.

A: Because the JRPG market on Xbox is very small and many of these ports would not turn a profit.

A: Because Xbox doesn't have any notable exclusive JRPG content, and most of the top selling JRPGs are missing from the platform entirely.

The reasoning behind a popular JRPG franchise being exclusive to another platform is ultimately meaningless, only the end result of that exclusivity is what created the situation Xbox is currently in. Maybe Sony never gave Atlus any kind of support or assurance for Persona 5 and its Playstation exclusivity was solely Atlus' decision. Whether the game was moneyhatted or not, the end result is the same: if you are a JRPG fan then you should buy a Playstation and not an Xbox.

Kingdom Hearts hasn't been exclusive to PlayStation though. The first two games were PS2 games, with a GBA interquel. Then there were DS, PSP and 3DS games and when the franchise had a new console game it was multiplatform between Xbox and PlayStation. Even Melody of Memories got an Xbox version.

Sony's paid exclusivity for major IPs in the genre, namely Final Fantasy. (Kingdom Hearts and Persona too)

Kingdom Hearts 3 was released simultaneously on Xbox and there's ZERO evidence of an exclusivity deal on Persona. We should really avoid spreading misinformation here.

The reasoning behind a popular JRPG franchise being exclusive to another platform is ultimately meaningless, only the end result of that exclusivity is what created the situation Xbox is currently in.

That's a really bad argument. You could also say your wallet was robbed when in reality you just misplaced it yourself (which is a surprisingly good analogy on what happened to Xbox and JRPGs, but I digress). The end result of you being without it would be the same, but the repercussions on both sentences are entirely different.

Last edited:

Xbox had multiple Mistwalker exclusives, but the platform is so dire in Japan that they just miss out on a major market. There was a whole ton of attempted Atlus and From support in the 00s and early 10s, and it all failed. https://www.amazon.com/Games-Atlus-Xbox-360/s?rh=n:4924903011,p_89:Atlus They tried! They really tried! And it sure seems like every single fucking game flopped and they had no real incentive to go for it on Xbox One.

The argument that exclusives are the reason why platforms have flourished as well as they have for JRPGs is IMO just a really bad argument. The main driver appears to just be "which platforms are popular in Japan?", and that has mostly just been handhelds + Sony, with Sony in rapid decline in Japan since the PS2 mostly tracking with the overall shift to handhelds.

IMO, I think it is really lazy to conflate the three types of exclusives into a single category, because they are absolutely wildly different business arrangements and business incentives. Incidental exclusivity (the Atlus way usually, with no deal but no interest in a short term port), Marketing Deals (the Sony way), and Publishing deals (the Nintendo way) are all hugely different, and none of those (with regards to recent JRPGs) are full locks-- they are just temporary windows for some incentive.

Xbox had multiple Mistwalker exclusives, but the platform is so dire in Japan that they just miss out on a major market. There was a whole ton of attempted Atlus and From support in the 00s and early 10s, and it all failed. https://www.amazon.com/Games-Atlus-Xbox-360/s?rh=n:4924903011,p_89:Atlus They tried! They really tried! And it sure seems like every single fucking game flopped and they had no real incentive to go for it on Xbox One.
I don't really know what this is supposed to be responding to. I mentioned already that Microsoft attempted to invest in JRPGs on the 360 and that it ended in failure and them moving away from the genre. If Microsoft wanted a thriving JRPG audience on their platform then it is up to them to invest in the genre by whatever means they find acceptable, be it first party development or third party partnership/investment. I can't blame Microsoft for not doubling down on the failures they experienced with the 360, but doing nothing about the situation will not improve things as third parties have no reason to assume the risk of building an audience on a new platform entirely by themselves. Microsoft has a huge hill to climb on making their platform appealing to JRPG developers. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I thought they didn't. Thanks for agreeing with me?
The argument that exclusives are the reason why platforms have flourished as well as they have for JRPGs is IMO just a really bad argument. The main driver appears to just be "which platforms are popular in Japan?", and that has mostly just been handhelds + Sony, with Sony in rapid decline in Japan since the PS2 mostly tracking with the overall shift to handhelds.
This seems completely backwards. Consumers buy hardware to play the software available on them. No platform is inherently popular in a region, the software present on that platform is popular and drives uptake of the platform hardware. Xbox is not popular in Japan because its unique software offerings are not popular in Japan.

Exclusives are the differentiating factor between platforms and the drivers behind choosing one over the other. If I am a consumer who likes both Game A and Game B and I have a choice between System 1 (which has A + B) and System 2 (which has only B) then I am going to buy System 1 every time. It has both of the games I want to play. Game A being exclusive to System 1 has determined my purchase. The idea that an exclusive makes no difference and that I would choose to buy System 2 instead and get less of what I want is an absurd one.

Note that I made no mention of the terms of exclusivity in my example because...
IMO, I think it is really lazy to conflate the three types of exclusives into a single category, because they are absolutely wildly different business arrangements and business incentives. Incidental exclusivity (the Atlus way usually, with no deal but no interest in a short term port), Marketing Deals (the Sony way), and Publishing deals (the Nintendo way) are all hugely different, and none of those (with regards to recent JRPGs) are full locks-- they are just temporary windows for some incentive.
I am approaching this from a consumer standpoint. A platform holder can do whatever they wish to make their platform more attractive to developers, but I only care about how attractive it is to me, the consumer.

From a consumer standpoint, the stipulations behind why a particular piece of software is exclusive to a given platform is largely meaningless. I as a consumer have decided I desperately want to play Final Fantasy XVI and the only platform that will satisfy my desire is the Playstation 5. Whether this arrangement has occurred because Sony struck a marketing deal, a publishing deal, assisted with development, or just because SE felt like putting it on this one platform for no particular reason at all does not change the end result: if I wish to play Final Fantasy XVI as early as possible then I must purchase a Playstation 5 in order to do so. I am entered into the PS5 ecosystem and Sony reaps the benefits (and their competitors lose out) regardless.

---------

I am not really sure where the general discussion is even going at this point. It seems clear that Xbox is lacking a significant audience for JRPGs and that is why SE and some other publishers are having some titles skip the platform. I have outlined my own reasoning for why this audience is missing and that is because Xbox is bereft of any exclusive content that would attract the JRPG audience to their system over any of their competitors. Missing out on genre-defining software will cause fans of that genre to go elsewhere and wither the audience for that genre on your platform. This will create a compounding effect where non-genre-defining software will skip your platform of their own accord as there will be an insufficient consumer base to sell to.

This works on both sides. Securing exclusivity of a key piece of software for your platform builds an audience for that genre and that already built audience inherently incentivizes producers of similar software to sell to that audience. For example, Falcom will produce a new Trails RPG on Playstation to attempt to sell to a portion of the audience who already owns the system to play Final Fantasy without any direct incentive from Sony. Sony incentivizing the genre king to become exclusive indirectly incentivizes all the other producers to follow suit.

The flip side is what has happened and is happening to Xbox. Xbox does not get nearly as many JRPGs as its direct competitor and the JRPGs it does get are often from less popular franchises. Consumers interested in playing JRPGs skip the platform in order to purchase the one with the wider and more popular selection. The JRPG audience on Xbox is therefore small, consisting primarily of people who are more involved in non-JRPG genres with a passing interest in JRPGs on the side. (so for example, someone bought an Xbox to play Halo Infinite and then decided to pick up Tales of Arise once they were already bought in, they did not care enough about Tales to buy a system solely to play the game) Since the consumer base who buys JRPGs is small, developers are not incentivized to release games in the genre of their own accord.

Reversal of the situation would require Microsoft coming up with ways to incentivize both developers to produce content in the genre on their platform, but also to incentivize consumers to prioritize their platform over their competitiors' in regards to the genre. Having a game release on your system and then sell 5% of the overall platform split does not incentivize future investment by third parties and does not grow your consumer base.

If Microsoft wants to receive support like the other platforms do, they need to build an audience like the other platforms did. Sony has an audience built up over more than two decades now. Nintendo carved a niche out for themselves by building up an audience and publisher relations through their handheld line, not to mention their own first party development. Microsoft has done little to nothing to invest in this segment since the 360 era. Receiving multiple years old ports of popular games or being merely included in the release of small titles will not build an audience that developers will want to cater to without outside influence. Microsoft has a great big hill to climb and I don't know if they're willing to climb it. Perhaps they are hoping that if they grow their install base in other ways they'll pick up some success with Japanese developers along the way without focusing on them. That could be the case, but its easier said than done.

I dont think the audience building argument is wrong tbh. Whatever the reason, anyone who is into jRPGs and has a console has a PS or a Switch. Xbox did actually start to gain ground in the Xbox 360 days with matching exclusives, but growth was slow, Sony fought back and MS wasnt stubborn enough to keep going for longer.

Maybe Xbox is not getting enough from the payouts.

Yeah, maybe people just arent playing Octopath in gamepass.

Last edited:
One thing i do like to point out is that some people dismiss the viability of xbox because the sales ratio will be something like 80/20 PS:xbox, but that doesnt matter when were talking about big sellers like mainline FF or KH because 20% of 5-10 million is still alot of sales.

My best guess is that the Octopath and DQ XIS Gamepass deals didn't work out terribly well.

You're likely to see a few more Xbox ports viaGame Pass over the next few months, by way of SE trying to shore up the fiscal year after the Q4 failure of Forspoken. People kind of incorrectly used that "SE's first three quarter revenue was only their second best ever article!", but the real story there is that the entire quarter plan got screwed up by God of War eating Forspoken's release spot, leading to the delay. Forspoken doing poorly in Q4 has likely left a huge hole in their FY that ended March 31st, so they want to get some deal revenue on the books so it seems like a smaller miss. No idea which games could be coming. Octopath 2, Triangle, or Bravely Default 2, or Tactics Ogre?

This is likely also the reason why they insisted on billing for the Pixel Remasters on March 29th or whatever. Last FY is the one that needs the help, not this one.

Last edited:

Alex Aniel

@cvxfreak

Enjoyed Kinda Funny’s interview w/ Phil Spencer. At GDC, I asked Phil for his thoughts on Japan, which he admires and respects but accepts that Xbox will always be a distant third there as the “away team.”

He also said he’s working to improve Xbox’s relationship with Square Enix

Bumping this thread. The problem has been at least noticed/addressed by Phil Spencer.

To me I expect KH4, DQ12, and whatever Nier stuff is coming to be on Xbox. Internal AA stuff and Final Fantasy, nope lol. External AA stuff like Star Ocean, depends on the developer I guess.

Bumping this thread. The problem has been at least noticed/addressed by Phil Spencer.

To me I expect KH4, DQ12, and whatever Nier stuff is coming to be on Xbox. Internal AA stuff and Final Fantasy, nope lol. External AA stuff like Star Ocean, depends on the developer I guess.

I think theres a better chance at stuff like octopath 2 and pixel remaster being added to gamepass

What else is he gonna say ? That he is not working towards improving the relationship ?

Nothing is gonna change for the games that tend to skip Xbox - SE is on board if MS can guarantee revenue through GamePass , otherwise there isn't much incentive based on previous sales data.

Maybe Xbox is not getting enough from the payouts.

I always assumed that the reason why Octopath II isn't on Xbox is because both Xbox and SE saw that the first game didn't get played much when it was on GP. If that's the case, SE likely is skeptical that if players didn't play it when it was free on a sub, they probably wouldn't pay for it, and Xbox feels like it'd be pointless to bother paying for the sequel to be on GamePass again

I always assumed that the reason why Octopath II isn't on Xbox is because both Xbox and SE saw that the first game didn't get played much when it was on GP. If that's the case, SE likely is skeptical that if players didn't play it when it was free on a sub, they probably wouldn't pay for it, and Xbox feels like it'd be pointless to bother paying for the sequel to be on GamePass again

The late port was potentially even more problematic than gamepass. If we want to know the true potential of a game on a paltform we need day 1 ports.

Kiryu: As CEO of Square Enix, we want to continue to deliver fabulous games to fans across the globe. We want to welcome the Xbox community as well. Starting with today's announcement and whenever possible we are planning to bring our games to Xbox for players to enjoy.

Figured this thread was worth a bump. What do you make of this comment? Will Switch/PS/PC games now start including Xbox? Does this only simply mean Xbox will get "big" games such as DQ12 and KH4 and non-moneyhatted FF games, but smaller ones such as HD2D games will still be a dart throw? (IMO that would mean the relationship hasn't actually changed much)

Last edited:

Figured this thread was worth a bump. What do you make of this comment? Will Switch/PS/PC games now start including Xbox? Does this only simply mean Xbox will get "big" games such as DQ12 and KH4 and non-moneyhatted FF games, but smaller ones such as HD2D games will still be a dart throw? (IMO that would mean the relationship hasn't actually changed much)

I feel like Xbox were due to get these games eventually, anyway. This just feels like easy PR

There’s nothing easy or inevitable about it. Ports cost money if they happened on release or later on, and if there’s no return on investment then there’s no reason to do it. And a port of an MMO is significant because it’s a publisher signing itself up to a long term commitment to support a platform.

No publisher is releasing anything for PR, they’re doing it for short and long term growth in revenue and profit. If there’s none of that to be had, there’s no reason to do it.

We have official court documents that prove that Sony pays third parties to keep their games off of other platforms.
It's always been clear that Sony paid for Forspoken, FFVII, and FFXVI. In almost all other cases, it was likely the result of either poor decision making by Square Enix or simply the belief that smaller games wouldn't yield a high enough return on the Xbox platform. The court documents didn't say anything that wasn't already known regarding exclusivity.

How much of this about face do we think comes down to the new CEO? The timing seems to line up and the announcement today came across as more of a commitment. Especially since it’ll take about half a year to show up on Xbox (and only series- though not surprising in 2024).

I feel like Xbox were due to get these games eventually, anyway. This just feels like easy PR
That's my thoughts too. Xbox was already good on the big games Square was putting out that weren't Sony moneyhatted such as FFO or FF Crisis Core, and I think Xbox was already on track to be getting DQ12 and KH4. Arguably the only place for such improvement is the wildly inconsistent AA game releases.

We deserve Octopath 2 on Gamepass.
Honestly, all the Asano stuff would be good GP fare. Same with other catalog AA ports, remasters and remakes (Mana series, SaGa series, Tactics Ogre, Theathrythm, Pixel Remasters, Voice of Cards, TWEWY, SO1-2, Taito games, etc). People focus on the high end with mainline FF but I think the wide diversity on the middle and low end is something also worth addressing.

I don’t think this changes stuff that much. But we’ll probably see the remaining Asano games and the other B/C tier stuff that’s not locked down by Sony or Nintendo for sure.

Long term I still expect MS’s long-term goal is to hit parity with Sony as far as JP publisher games are concerned and this looks like an outgrowth of the announcements from Sega around Atlus and RGG Studio games over the summer.

Yea, Live A Live HD is on Xbox now but not OT2 right?

Yeah for Asano Team on HD consoles so far it's been:

Nintendo
2018 Octopath Traveler
2021 Bravely Default II
2022 Triangle Strategy
2022 Live A Live
2022 Various Daylife (late port, digital only)
2023 Octopath Traveler II

Xbox
2021 Octopath Traveler (late port, digital only, Gamepass)

PlayStation
2022 Various Daylife (late port, digital only)
2023 Octopath Traveler II
2023 Live A Live (late port, digital only)

Wonder if the ABK deal might be inspiring some other third parties to start treating Xbox a bit more favorably. We'll see I suppose.

Finally Phil decided to throw some money at SE to port their games. Its like Persona situation, their games sell so low on XBOX that its no longer justify port cost. With gamepass making XBOX owners buy less and less 3rd party games, this model will be the way for MS to secure ports of other wise by default playstation exclusive.

Phil is committed to the mission.

All jokes aside, I’m happy Xbox fans are finally gonna get some square support. I know a lot have been asking for it for a while.

From a Rpg fan or a business perspective, the issues with Square Enix are inconsequential to Xbox's reach or bottom line and they have proven for years they can replace that with something bigger elsewhere and just having JRPGS being a side genre on the platform, plus with the Persona games and several other series moving to it they have many of the Jrpgs they need for many overlapping Jrpgs fans anyway. Xbox is going to be the place with the most traditional RPGs anyway.

From a Jrpg fan perspective a lack of Final Fantasy will be a bigger deal, though Persona may grab some people to the platform, but then you have to question how many Jrpgs fans would have went to Xbox if it did have all the FF games with none missing? I wouldn't really rock the boat of sales.

Remember, the Xbox One and 360 had Japanese exclusive Jrpgs and Visual novels with rpg elements for the former and it did nothing. 360 even got games a year ahead of the PS3 for two years, had several exclusives including in two known and praised domestic brands back then like Tales of Vesperia and others, and got Final Fantasy that many people had meltdowns over and then blamed the 360 for FFXIII's design despite it already being finalized before the 360 version was even worked on.

It resulted in zip, nada, outside a small niche base that will go back and play Lost Odyssey for awhile, and several of the other games got ported to other platforms, and immediately sold more, sometimes by large margins.

Xbox has a large chunk of the best selling RPG market to really be putting in money to grab some FF Jrpgs.

Guess new CEO, new policies. I do think that the part of it is ABK deal. I think ABK deal will change the position of Microsoft (and Xbox) in the gaming market.

I do expect more SE games on Xbox sooner rather than later. You just can't ignore Sega and Capcom success if you are running the gaming company. There is literally no reason for SE to align themselves for their big games releases with a single platform. If SE was owned by Sony - that would not matter, but they are not and thus by being strongly aligned with Playstation they essentially erode the support on other platforms (like imagine not releasing the games Day 1 on PC these days) making each and every exclusive deal cheaper and cheaper for Sony. And Sony can easily strong arm SE if necessary.

Remember, the Xbox One and 360 had Japanese exclusive Jrpgs and Visual novels with rpg elements for the former and it did nothing. 360 even got games a year ahead of the PS3 for two years, had several exclusives including in two known and praised domestic brands back then like Tales of Vesperia and others, and got Final Fantasy that many people had meltdowns over and then blamed the 360 for FFXIII's design despite it already being finalized before the 360 version was even worked on.
Because you need consistency over the years. Even during Xbox 360 era or Xbox One era we had bunch of JRPGs skipping Xbox. Like having FF15 and no Persona and so on. It was just an inconsistent support. And also a huge chunk of JRPGs at that time was in Japan, where Xbox 360 was not that strong and Xbox One was dead rather than alive. I think with more PC releases, JRPGs started to gain more support on the west.

Putting games on xbox isnt a new strategy, its consistently putting games on xbox and not going back and forth between exclusives and multiplatform strategies multiple times during a single generation that would be a change.

Call me optimistically skeptical of their dedication here.

So long as Kingdom Hearts 4, Dragon Quest 12, and Final Fantasy 17 don't skip Xbox, that'll be good.

Port the pixel remaster Final Fantasy's while you're at it. Would be nice to finally play 6.

So long as Kingdom Hearts 4, Dragon Quest 12, and Final Fantasy 17 don't skip Xbox, that'll be good.

Port the pixel remaster Final Fantasy's while you're at it. Would be nice to finally play 6.

Well thats the question isn't it haha

I expect KH4 to be multiplat Day 1, DQ12 (unless Switch exclusive) will be multiplat and FF17 is too far away to tell.

So, expecting soon Octopath Traveler 2 and Pixel Remaster. Forspoken maybe, but FF7R and FFXVI, i don't think so.

So, expecting soon Octopath Traveler 2 and Pixel Remaster. Forspoken maybe, but FF7R and FFXVI, i don't think so.

Octopath 2, sure, after the legs peter out and MS pays enough for Game Pass.

Pixel Remasters might be more complicated, as I think Square Enix wants them out there just for eternal legs. The port is relatively easy due to Unity, but the PRs are like the cornerstone of SE's evergreen back catalogue strategy.

Live-a-Live is probably a short-term candidate for a Game Pass port. Star Ocean 6 will probably be on Game Pass soon-ish.

7R2 and 16 are likely the games that get the most benefit for Game Pass releases due to sequels & DLC, so those are pretty much the most likely games over the next few years.

If we're talking DLC heavy releases that might really benefit with GP, they really should look at Theathrythm FBL.
Most of the time, SE's platform decisions make a decent amount of sense, but Theaterythm is a giant ??? to me. I have to assume a PC port is coming soon or something, but there's been no sign of an exclusivity window with it. Maybe the plan is PC after all of the DLC is out, or something.

XBox I have no idea on. There's not enough Rhythm games from other publishers to judge what the usual strategy is for these, and we have even less of a clue than usual on whether MS is even remotely interested in forking out decent money for GP for them.

Turn-based RPGs, Adventure Games, and Visual Novels, have good evidence that they just do a distant fourth on XBox of the platforms, but TFBL is so different that it is hard to speculate.

Triangle Strategy is a short-term candidate for a Game Pass port, as it looks like it has totally stalled out on PC so there's no real legs to worry about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom