• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Europe Monthly Charts - December 2023: #1 PS5 (+66%), #2 NSW (-7%), #3 XBS (-19%)

MonthPS5NSWXBS
Jan+202-11-32
Feb+400-28+13
Mar+400+-19-13
Q1+369-18-10
Apr+144+38+19
May+81+39-16
June+116-2.3-0.8
July+244-9??
August+197+1-12
Sept+175-28-35
Oct+143-20-52
Nov+376-35-26
Dec+66-7-19

European GSD December 2023 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
2Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
3Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
4Super Mario Bros Wonder (Nintendo)*
5Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (Ubisoft)
7Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
8Spider-Man 2 (Sony)
9Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
10Assassin's Creed Mirage (Ubisoft)

The usual. Great month for Ps5, good month for Switch, disastrous month for Xbox.
Getting first party games out on the other platforms more than an opportunity if it continues like this will become a necessity.

The usual. Great months for Ps5 and Switch, disastrous month for Xbox.
Getting first party games out on the other platforms more than an opportunity if it continues like this will become a necessity.

If they do that it will be the end of Xbox. MS has the money, now that they start to have the games they need them to continue exclusive (or sort of, as they go day one to PC).
MS needs to start having presence on stores, investing on publicity, doing localization. With the stream of first party games they will have it's a matter of time to the sales start to go up. Start to put does games on other consoles would negate that, but this is my opinion that don't have the qualifications and the Salary of Xbox ranks.

Last edited:
Kinda crazy hold for Switch, I figured the YoY drop would be 20%+ given its performance in Oct/Nov.

As usual PS5 sales were very strong while XBS sales were really bad. 2024 will be very interesting for both platforms.

Very good December for the Switch, without any deals too.

Hogwarts continue to impress while Wonder is doing very well in December.

Spider-Man 2 a bit softer in December but that explainable given the big launch and the smaller PS5 userbase.

I was hopping for Xbox to be flat and Switch down by a bigger amont.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder have really overperform in Europe.

Nintendo barely did anything to elevate Nintendo Switch sales in December last year.
And at the same time Xbox have crazy deals but somehow have a way bigger decline...

December 2022 Europe hardware, it was 5 week Dec vs 4 weeks for 2023.

"1.33 million games consoles were sold across tracked European markets, a drop of 19% over the year before (UK and Germany data is unavailable. For UK hardware stats, click here).

This was due to a sharp drop in sales for Xbox Series S and X and Nintendo Switch. PS5 sales were also down, but only marginally (down 3.4%).

However, Switch was still comfortably the No.1 best-selling games machine across Europe. PS5 stock issues are beginning to subside, although there were still some supply issues during the month."

Seem like PS5 stock improved quite bit in Dec 2022 as it was only down 3.4% YoY vs Dec 2021.

Dec 2022 XBS sharp drop but no number, and in 2023 Dec another 19% drop despite good €150 discount on Series X.

My rough estimates for Dec 2023.

PS5: 800k down MoM from Nov because of no deals
NSW: 400K Up MoM from Nov
XBS: 70K I doubt it sold less then Nov with €150 price cut but who knows.

My rough estimates for Dec 2023.

These numbers don't work if Switch was "comfortably #1" in Dec 2022.

If they do that it will be the end of Xbox. MS has the money, now that they start to have the games they need them to continue exclusive (or sort of, as they go day one to PC).
MS needs to start having presence on stores, investing on publicity, doing localization. With the stream of first party games they will have it's a matter of time to the sales start to go up. Start to put does games on other consoles would negate that, but this is my opinion that don't have the qualifications and the Salary of Xbox ranks.

There is a one problem : money can't solve the problems. And i'm listening that for years. MS has the money yet, Lumia, Surface, Zune, Mixer, VR/AR segment....all closed. And Xbox hardware is huge money pit for them, especially XSeries. Also, in last 3 years MS spent almost 80$ bil. in gaming and Xbox hardware won't cut it since it is selling worse than its predecessor.

Like Mat Piscatella said : "If a company is spending the resources to produce video game console hardware, then folks at that company will certainly care about the sales of the video game console hardware it is producing."

Last edited:
I was hopping for Xbox to be flat and Switch down by a bigger amont.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder have really overperform in Europe.

And at the same time Xbox have crazy deals but somehow have a way bigger decline...
Why would you hope for Switch to be down bigger?

Using this 2023 estimate would put PS5 well above NSW in Dec 2022, which we know is not the case since NSW comfortably outsold PS5 in Dec 2022.

Actual breakdown is probably closer to 700K PS5, 500K NSW, 70K XBS (XBS result is more of a rounding error at this point).

Switch only 7% down is a great hold and because December is so big for Switch the "bad" -35% November has been minimized. For the quarter Switch is probably only down about 16%. Nintendo Shipped 2.42 million last FYQ3 and if the whole of Europe (including UK and Germany) is down by 16% then expect around 2.03 million shipped for the quarter.

European Shipments for FYQ3 (Oct to Dec) for NSW as a Percentage of Global Shipments.

2017 - 2.10M / 7.23M - 29.0%
2018 - 2.77M / 9.41M - 29.4%
2019 - 3.02M / 10.81M - 27.9%
2020 - 2.97M / 11.57M - 25.7%
2021- 3.38M / 10.67M - 31.7%
2022 - 2.42M / 8.22M - 29.4%

Last edited:
2024 will be a horrible race to the bottom.

What platform can do the biggest YoY drop.
Xbox has nothing going for right now until a big surprise game hit and refreshed console.
Switch is on its last leg and people wait for the successor.
Playstation had a huge 2023 and will have a hard time keeping up with that at those price points after already selling to 50m customers.

Did the Switch have anything new aside from the usual bundles? 🤔 I wanna say both Sony and Nintendo cruised into December, unlike MS's aggressive price cuts.

The Switch didn't have any promotions or bundles either.

not new, but the Switch Sports, the Mario Kart and the Amimal Crossing Lite bundles were still available?
Unlike last December 2022, I think?

Yes
Xbox sells are very bad
If these rumors about some xbox first party coming to ps5 and switch then it will mark the end for the Xbox brand
Less the end of the Xbox brand and more a transition - ultimately Gamepass remains important to them, so they will continue to push hardware. But I think they need to stand out somehow.

They still need the high end hardware for that audience and low end hardware for those going the cheap route.

If am MS? Make first party games Gamepass EXCLUSIVE (yes even on their storefront) and increase the hardware differentials:

Xbox Series X Pro - just go fucking ridiculous, as with the original Xbox push power even for the higher price.
Xbox Series S - Keep as is; get that price down and offer x months of Gamepass out of the box.
They’ve missed the boat now on Windows Handheld Gaming I think, so they need to think about how they get Gamepass on SteamOS natively out with the storefront, not sure if feasible

“Xbox Games best on Xbox”
“Xbox Games first on Gamepass”

Either way they need a big change. If things continue in this direction I can’t see how Gamepass does not begin to lose subs.

Switch only 7% down is a great hold and because December is so big for Switch the "bad" -35% November has been minimized. For the quarter Switch is probably only down about 16%. Nintendo Shipped 2.42 million last FYQ3 and if the whole of Europe (including UK and Germany) is down by 16% then expect around 2.03 million shipped for the quarter.

European Shipments for FYQ3 (Oct to Dec) for NSW as a Percentage of Global Shipments.

2017 - 2.10M / 7.23M - 29.0%
2018 - 2.77M / 9.41M - 29.4%
2019 - 3.02M / 10.81M - 27.9%
2020 - 2.97M / 11.57M - 25.7%
2021- 3.38M / 10.67M - 31.7%
2022 - 2.42M / 8.22M - 29.4%
It would maybe be the lowest but still good. Also if the percentage of global shipments keep around that 30% it would be around 6.7M (might be wrong here I'm horrible at math) which would be good.

Not really sure what direction Microsoft can go in to salvage their hardware at this point. Go cheaper they lose more money, stay the same they won’t sell, release new hardware and they have 3 sku’s, cut off a sku and they cut off a large percentage of their customer base.

sure it's not good for xbox but these are small and the worst markets for xbox where it's always done poorly, no germany no uk (i know someone will tell how bad Xbox does in germany now), keep the context in mind (you wont). i'm surprised how low these numbers are around less than half of usa console sales are in europe now. maybe 3.5m dec usa switch/ps5/xbs, <1.3 europe.

Console hardware sales cover Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

does russia still officially supported by console manufacturers now given the war/sanctions? or no console sales in russia?

ps5 year over year increases should finally end now, in January? +66% was PS5 lowest monthly YoY increase of 2023, indicating as we know PS5 supply had started easing a bit in Dec 22.

the story of 2023 was a flood of ps5 found the market, which also ended up damaging xbox sales a bit as evidently people were buying some xbox instead with ps5 not available in 2021/22. 2024?

It would maybe be the lowest but still good. Also if the percentage of global shipments keep around that 30% it would be around 6.7M (might be wrong here I'm horrible at math) which would be good.
I would expect a bit lower than 6.7M because Japan's drop for the quarter is worse than Europe's.

So even less people will buy it?
If you can buy Xbox and PlayStation games on a PS5, why not just own a PS5? That then means one less customer to sell Gamepass to. If Xbox is the best place for Xbox games - you own an Xbox and play via Gamepass.

Series X has had significant price drops and the needle has not moved. It’s clearly not a price sensitive competitor.

Actual data:
  • PS5 (+177%)
  • XBS (-18%)
Estimates worked out okay.

Well, the PS5 estimate was WAY higher
but globally, PS rules and Xbox sucks

This by an Xbox Series owner without a PS5 in home, actually (just looking at sales, it's hard to find better definitions lol)

2024 will be a horrible race to the bottom.

What platform can do the biggest YoY drop.
Xbox has nothing going for right now until a big surprise game hit and refreshed console.
Switch is on its last leg and people wait for the successor.
Playstation had a huge 2023 and will have a hard time keeping up with that at those price points after already selling to 50m customers.
Switch's numbers now don't count for much. 2023 was its last year.
It's time for Switch 2.

PS5 will have PS5 pro and I believe 99.999 percent will have a price cut on the standard/slim model this year.
This will enable them to have stable sales , comparable to 2023 sales.

Xbox, I don't know what else to say. They did not sell well in a year with their biggest exclusive game and with two consoles sold at 399 and 150 $ in a holiday period... Maybe cod at launch in the gamepass will increase sales slightly ? We have to see....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom