• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

E3 is no more

This is for the best, it has been dead for several years now. Making it official at least closes that cycle.

End of an era. Which sadly started the new Geoff era which for me is also not the future i wanted lol.

Seems like all the big card-carriers at the ESA we kinda over it post-pandemic.

Either way... good. E3 brought out the worst in gaming fandom, will not be sad to see it go, even as Keighley tries his damnedest (and will inevitably fail) to make a new one.

E3 brought out the worst in gaming fandom
I will be honest, it not just the gaming fandom that was effected negatively by the reliance of E3. I would honestly say that the negative effects of E3 are industry-wide and honestly, gaming is better without it. I only fear of the things that will attempt to take it's place.... the TGA has already begun to sag to a similar set of issues, for example.

I will be honest, it not just the gaming fandom that was effected negatively by the reliance of E3. I would honestly say that the negative effects of E3 are industry-wide and honestly, gaming is better without it. I only fear of the things that will attempt to take it's place.... the TGA has already begun to sag to a similar set of issues, for example.

Yeah, I'm certain devs are relieved for not having to crunch hard to make an unrealistic vertical slice that looks like a finished game years prior to the game actually being ready... all to meet some arbitrary date. I feel like game marketing has been a lot more transparent lately, with devs showing what they're actually working on and closer to release.

I think it's pretty sad people had this weird hate for the ESA (ESA bit my dog!). Based on exactly nothing. Internet mobs dont need to make sense though.

Now even funnier is journos on X saying things like "you know, i noticed these directs dont allow us professionals to question the manufacturers about these games being shown, that sure is a shame" when they are the ones who hated e3 more than anybody. You can't cause something then complain about it. I heard literally countless gaming podcast screeds about how much better directs were than E3, all caping for how great it was for the massive corporations that directs were replacing e3. and not a single rant saying the reverse.

for myself, e3's glory days were the ps3 360 era. back then i saw such mind blowing leaps in graphics. it grew more and more stale the older i got. tbh i'm sort of glad it's gone now. 90% of Sony/MS showcases were boring indies IMO.

I remember at it's peak I would start thinking and anticipating about e3 months ahead. I dont think that was actually healthy LOL. Another reason I'm glad it's gone.

An analogue is NPD. At it's height I used to anticipate NPD like crazy, back when they gave us full hardware numbers. Now, half the time I barely know when NPD releases. Also for the better I think.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

With the availability of various streaming platforms like Youtube and a lot of fan events and independent events, big E3 does not make sense anymore.

E3 wasn't perfect, but I prefer it over whatever Summer Games Fest and the VGAs are. Sad that it ended like this.

I feel like game marketing has been a lot more transparent lately, with devs showing what they're actually working on and closer to release.
Honestly, it's not that the marketing has been more transparent, it's more that the intentions are much clearer.
I still think that there could be some adjustment when it comes to release dates, because either they're way too far as experienced recently (I have to admit that "2 years" before launch is asking for a lot), are there too much of a hard date to meet.

There has been improvement but I think the industry can do more.

As a show for exhibitors and retail partners to mingle and strike marketing deals, it was outdated. For AAAA games taking 5+ years to develop, it was outdated. For developers who didn't want to scramble to develop vertical slice builds specifically for one event, it was outdated. For publishers who didn't want to splurge their marketing budgets on an in-person show when they could just craft their own video for a fraction of the cost and still reach the same audience, it was outdated. For loud thumping music, flashy aesthetics and booth babes, it was outdated.

But damn if I don't miss the electricity of E3 at its peak when I attended it so many years ago. It was truly a tour de force, the mecca of the USA gaming industry for more than a decade. RIP.

Back
Top Bottom