• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

A Sales Story | E05 | Xenoblade Chronicles 2

xenosaga-750x375.jpg

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2 - Its sales and why they are relevant

2007 - The Acquisition
SI_Wii_DistasterDayOfCrisis_image1600w.jpg

It's 2007 and the Nintendo Wii is rocking the videogame world with its novelty/gimmick, but also thanks to its huge sales numbers. Among all the news, there is something that somehow goes undernoticed, at least in terms of mass market appeal. Nintendo acquired Monolith Soft. - a Bandai-Nacmo owned JRPG team. The relationship between Kyoto-based company and Takahashi team was already pretty close and positive, thanks to a couple of exclusive products developed by Monolith Soft. for the previous Nintendo home console (specifically, Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins), as testified also by the fact that the team was already developing a Nintendo owned IP (as second party), with Disaster - Day of Crisis, a weird action game published in 2008 as Wii esclusive. But Nintendo gola wasn't to transform Monolith Soft. into a westernized action oriented team: on the contrary, the idea was to focus them exaclty on what they were well know for: classic but very ambitious JRPG.

2010 - The Beginning
SI_Wii_XenobladeChronicles_image1600w.jpg

Monolith Soft. was responsible for the classic and belowed Xeno-saga, a very deep role-playing-game saga, and Nintendo back in the days wanted to exploit their expertise to fill a possible void in their lineup, with them focusing their know-how on this kind of production. The actual proof for this goal is that in 2010 they published the first episode of a new saga, still keeping the "Xeno" word in the title: Xeboblade Chronicles (previously known as Monado: Beginning of the World), named after Takahashi's team love for the Xeno-saga products developed under Namco ownership (also to commercially exploit the already beloved IP). This game put Monolith Soft. on the map, among Nintendo fans and worldwide critic, with an ambitious open world (even more impressive considering the limit of the Wii hardware, compared to the existing competitor consoles), a deep storytelling and an amazing OST, that lead a critically acclaimed Metacritic score of 92/100. But, at the same time, something went wrong about it, commercially: despite the huge install base, due to a problematic distribution west-side and due to a declining phase of Wii's performances (that affected negatively also bigger games marketing-wise like The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword) the game was unable to sell at least 1 million copies and in fact its actual LT sales numbers are still a mistery (not being reported by Nintendo in none of their financial report, exactly because it was unable to break that milestone). Ambitious game, critically acclaimed, but commercially problematic. Was the partnership already in danger? Was the saga already buried among better-selling Nintendo owned IPs?

2015 - Monolith flexes its muscles
SI_WiiU_XenobladeChroniclesX_image1600w.jpg

Was Monolith soft. parntership with Nintendo jeopardized? Takahashi: "Hold my beer" - exactly when the misunderstanding around the release of the first game and its tepid mass market response could have generated issues, Nintendo decided to invest in Monolith Soft. programming abilities and funded two projects, both released in 2015, to testify the potential of their hardwares: Xenoblade Chronicles X was a graphical and technical showcase for the Wii U HD capabilities, with an even bigger and completely free-to-explore (even flying!) open world, that for some is still unmatched nowadays, while Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (a remake of the first Wii episode) was chosen to push the portable device revision: only the improved processor and bigger RAM of the New 3DS was able to properly sustain Takahashi's vision for his own game (with the help by Monster Games, being the main tam at Monolith hard at work for Xenoblade X). Unfortunately, despite being technically impressive, due especially to the struggles of the Wii U and the limited install base of the 3DS hardware revision, none of these projects were able to cross that (in)famous million mark.

2017 - Time to shine!
H2x1_NSwitch_XenobladeChronicles2_image1600w.jpg

January 2017, the official Nintendo Switch presentation event. For the first time ever for the franchise, a good portion of the unveil of a brand new Nintendo hardware features a good spot light for Monolith Soft. efforts. Among the games presented, there is also Xenoblade Chronicles 2, new episode of the franchise, planned for the end of the year. The game actually launched in December of the same year, as planned and its pace in terms of sales is on another level. Within the end of the year (so in just three weeks) it crosses the million mark (1.06 million distributed worldwide), beating what its predecessors weren't able to reach in a "life-time" time lapse. Even better: the game continues to sell in a steady way (something not so common among JRPG) and its official numbers at the end of 2020 are around 2,17 millions copies distributed worldwide. Now, since then 1 year and a half has passed and from InstallBase own experts, this number will surely increased when, in 1/2 months from today, we will get access to CESA White Paper 2022, with updated numbers at the end of 2021. What we can anticipate now is that, in any case, the game didn't stop selling; on the contrary! In 2021 at retail in the Japanese market (official numbers tracked MediaCreate agency) it sold another 30k copies; it ranked 27th in the eshop digital chart for the first half on that year, in that market; it has been capable almost every week of this year 2022 to stay within the top 50 of the most downloaded game on the Japanese eshop; it was able to chart in the Famitsu retail week 23 chart, with another 1k copies sold physically. With it being within the voucher program (a deal particularly good for the Japanese market) and with its protagonist Pyra/Mythra added to the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster, its popularity even increased somehow and (even without giving a proper estimate) it's pretty safe to imagine that its LtD global copies shipped worldwide are even significantly higher than the official 2020 figures.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 success: why?!
9d7f542d922660be4463db9a22b29907329b58e8ccc014acc8e4f6665cae9a9d.jpg

Many are the reasons behind this explosion in success, compared to previous entries. Opinions can vary, so we are not going ahead to make a chart, but simply listing different topics that as a matter of fact helped the game is gaining market share/mind share among the mass market, improving Xenoblade brand awareness.
1) The Switch-effect: it is clear how popular the Switch is, and how massive its software sales are, even compared to the most succesfull Nintendo console of the past. So, for Xenoblade 2 being available on the Switch was a competitive advantage compared to Xenoblade 1 (released on the Wii, a very sucessfull console but during its declining phase), Xenoblade X (available as a Wii U exclusive, the least appealing Nintendo console ever, for the mass market) and Xenoblade 3D (available only on the hardware upgrade of the 3DS).
2) Fully promoted: unlike Xenoblade 1 (the only game of this group that could have had the potential of selling well) that was badly promoted (it was not present during that year E3 presentation, but unveiled right after, with just a simple "PR", separated by the main event; it was not distributed by NoA as a total market product for the NA market), Xenoblade 2 was in the center of the spotlight of the most important Nintendo Switch presentation ever (the very first one in January 2017, where they actually presented the console, the price, the launch-window lineup and so on), getting TONS of attention from everyone; it was also distributed as one of the main exclusives for the Holiday period (December 2017), as one of the main selling point of the console, during its first Holiday spending time.
3) Anime-style at its best/worst: this topic has been discussed to death, with many people complaining againts it and its oversexualized approach; this is not the right place where to discuss it, but for the blade design many anime/manga Japanese artists have been involved (the most famous one being Nomura, probably) and the result has been a rich cast of side-characters, alongside the main protagonists of course; this has generated tons of fan made activities spread all over the social media channels (Twitter and so on) that contributed to some sort of viral marketing campaign, that helped in increasing mind share about the product itself. The "anime-manga" style, in the meantime, found a very solid resonance on a global scale, with projects like Persona 5 (2016; Atlus-Sega; more than 5 milllions sold with the "P5R" revised version), Nier Automata (2017; Square-Enix; 6.5 millions), Fire Emblem Three Houses (2019; Nintendo; 3.4 millions at the end of 2020), all the best selling episodes in their franchise history.
4) Gatcha-like system: another mixed topic, considering how for many this unlocking-system was tedious at best, damaging at worst, but it is possible/likely that for the Japanese market at least this somehow helped in generating buzz around the product, especially among content creators
5) Content and promotional continued support by Monolith Soft. and Nintendo: Xenoblade life cycle has been sustained in a very strong way by the developers, thanks to a very meaty post launch support; new heroes, new quests, even an entire new story arch (so meaningful that has been also distributed separately, on cart, as a standalone game). This surely helped the game legs in the mid-long term, alongside Nintendo's decision to continue supporting the Voucher program in both EU and Japan markets; in Japan especially, this digital promotion program is very valuable for pricy games like Xenoblade 2 is in that country (for example, it will be soon possible to buy Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade 3 together for ¥9.980 instead of ¥17.556, in Japan).
6) Smash Bros effect: among Nintendo continue support to the game and the franchise there is also the decision to include both Pyra/Mythra (protagonists of Xenoblade 2) as playable characters in one of their most successfull games ever (28,17 million at March 2022), dedicating also two still-to-be-released amiibo to them. A very good way of increasing the visibility of the cast and consequently of the franchise (it is well-known for example how Sakurai love for the Fire Emblem franchise and its consequent inclusion "en masse" in his fighting games helped the SRPG brand in increasing its awareness among the mass market)

Of course, it being a very good, solid, long, and rich game helped too! (83% on Metacritic)

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 success: consequences
monolith-soft-logo-apr232019.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has been a success, this is obvious. But what does it imply for Monolith Soft and the Xenoblade franchise? Well, surely good things. We have already seen at least a couple of actual facts, that can testify the positive effect of Xeno2 sales.
1) Increased brand awareness for the Xenoblade brand: this is easy to check. In 2020 Nintendo published Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition; this was the third version of the original first episode of the series, after the Wii version and the N3DS one (not counting the downloadable Wii version on the Wii U eShop). Despite it being a "remaster" (not a full remake, at least) of an old game, already sold in many occasions, it was able to achieve a significant market response: at March 31st, 2021 its updated number of distributed copies worldwide was 1.52 millions, way better than any previous iteration of this episode. Its legs slowed down, unlike Xenoblade 2, but the result was already more than satisfying, cementing Xenoblade as a "million seller" franchise among Nintendo IPs portfolio
2) Increased investments into Monolith Soft team by Nintendo: this is undoubtedly a matter of fact; since 2017 (the year when Xenoblade 2 was released) the number of Monolith Soft staff continue to increase; the official number of employees was 150 and, at the end of 2021 it was up to 273. For a company like Nintendo, usually averse to acquisition and unctontrolled increase in internal work force, surely Monolith Soft has been a nice exception. More employees mean the ability to improve their output, or keeping it constant despite the general increase in developing/programming leadtimes, and testifies Nintendo HQ confidence in Takahashi's team efforts

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - The future (connected?)
3f5364fb-xenoblade-chronicles-3-release-date-cover.png

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is almost here: it is clear how its sales potential changed compared to the beginning of this gen, thanks to all the reasons listed and the clear commercial success of Xenoblade 2. The goal? 3 millions mark, minimum.
Unlike 2010, after the struggles of Xenoblade 1 on the market and 2015, when the fate of such "smaller" sellers could have seen them disappear due to Nintendo general struggles during the Wii U - late 3DS era, nowadays it seems clear that Xenoblade is among those series among Nintendo IP portfolio that can be seen as pillars of their software offer (or at least a Monolith Soft. JRPG ambitious project, if they will decide to drop the franchise and try the path of new IP: but if Xenoblade 3 will push the brand into the 3 millions mark territory, it will be hard for them to not develop ALSO a new Xenoblade game, for the next Nintendo console!)

XENOBLADE SERIES: its sales so far
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 2.17 mil (31/12/2020)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: 1.52 mil (31/03/2021)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: < 1 mil
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3D: < 1 mil
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X: < 1 mil

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2: its legs
  • December2017 - 1.06m
  • March 2018 - 1.31m (+250k)
  • June 2018 - 1.42m (+110k)
  • September 2018 - 1.53m (+110k)
  • December 2018 - 1.65m (+120k)
  • March2019 - 1.73m (+80k)
  • December 2019 - 1.92m (+190k in 9 months)
  • June 2020 - 2.05m (+130k in 6 months)
  • December 2020 - 2.17m (+120k in 6 months)

Last edited:
Easiest and most digestible gaming-related content I have read all month. Sincere thanks, @Aostia82 !
Your piece got me hyped for Xenoblade Chronicles 3 sales. I was still on the fence regarding the game itself but you somewhat won me over and I will buy it :D

Last edited:
Easiest and most digestible gaming-related content I have read all month. Sincere thanks, @Aostia82 !
Your piece got my hyped for Xenoblade Chronicles 3 sales. I was still on the fence regarding the game itself but you somewhat won me over and I will buy it :D

OMG thank you so much! :D

Is it possible to add sales figure for other Monolith Soft games? BK games, Xenosaga (including the DS ones) and Soma Bringer?

I will try to look around for those.
Not that easy because I suspect they didn't reach the 1mil milestone and Namco wasn't so transparent as Nintendo about sales numbers

Looking around (I post here: if someone more educated than me will confirm/correct, I can add these numbers at the end of my Xenoblade post) I've found:

Baten Kaitos: known qty 241.000 copies (80k in Japan after 2 weeks; 161k in the US after 6 weeks)
Baten Kaitos Origins: known qty 14.000 copies in Japan at debut
Soma Bringer: known qty 67.844 copies in Japan in the first 2 weeks
Xenogears: known qty 1.19million (910k in Japan, 280k in the West)
Xenosaga Episode I: known qty more than 1 million (240k units at debut in Japan)
Xenosaga Episode II: known qty 280k in Japan (no numbers for Western release)
Xenosaga I and II: known qty 38k in Japan
Xenosaga Episode III: known qty 343k worldwide (181k in Japan)

Last edited:
I may not comment much on this forum, but I will say this: this is by most favorite thread and the amount of depth you guys provide as well as providing references is really amazing. Keep up the great work and amazing write up Aostia!

Is it possible to add sales figure for other Monolith Soft games? BK games, Xenosaga (including the DS ones) and Soma Bringer?
Xenosaga I sold over one million copies, we don’t have global data for the other games I think

Nintendo x Monolith Soft is a true success story, almost bring tears to my eyes after all the effort Takahashi-San had to make.
Thank you Aostia, that’s a very nice piece !
Also, Disaster : Day of Crisis is a good game and I enjoyed it a lot.

To add to the effects of the the Xenoblade 2 success, their Good Smile figures have sold like crazy. In 2020 the KOS-MOS (Xenoblade 2 design) figure was the best selling figure in AmiAmi over other popular brands like Kimetsu no Yaiba. And in 2021, Pyra and Mythra rereleases were 1st and 2nd place, once again over some bigger IPs like Genshin Impact. I'm sure the figures sold similarly well in other stores.

This shows not only a big commercial success, but that the brand awareness is really high and has generated a really loyal customer base. Even if is in a niche market like anime figures, selling more than bigger IPs that have become completely mainstream is a triumph.

Great story Aostia! From a creator standpoint, I’m very happy that Takahashi was able to continue creating JRPGS through Nintendo after mellow reception from Bandai Namco over XenoSaga sales. Although I may not be as bullish as others over X3’s opening sales, it is very certain that X3 will be the highest opening and maybe LtD sales of any title in the Xenoblade series! Awesome to see Takahashi and Monolith’s work paying off

I have a (slightly) extended version on my site
In Italian and with basically the same info/imgs

Switchitalia

Btw, thanks to everyone I stressed in PM in the past few days to get some source/numbers ;p

Last edited:
Xenoblade 1 crossed 1m
Xenoblade 2 crossed 2m
Xenoblade 3 should cross 3m
I think a lot of people are going to avoid Xenoblade 2 if they didnt play the other games, because of story and gameplay reasons.

I have been playing Xenoblade 2 and its not an easy game for you to play and understand all the gameplay systems

Thanks for the write up @Aostia82 !

It’s interesting to me that Xenogears was able to sell sooo much in Japan compared too all the games after. What’s up with that lol. Yeah different times for sure, but still.

Anyways, hold onto your butts. XC3 will hit 3m almost immediately, 4m relatively quickly afterwards, and then 5m at the very end. Believe!

Considering XC: DE bad legs outside of Japan I don’t see this happening bar if you are counting Wii+NSW+3DS all together or if Nintendo does the impossible and makes a Xenoblade trilogy bundle
No, I was talking about DE only. The game crossed 1.5M over a year ago and quite a few people are giving the IP a chance as XC3 approaches. Plus the Switch still has a long life ahead of it. I'd say 2M is all but guaranteed at some point.

I think a Xenoblade X Remaster could be very interesting to follow sales wise. Xenoblade X let me forget that Breath of the Wild was missing in 2015. For me it is better as Breath of the Wild and the best Monolith game to date.

With the Remaster they could work at the character models to improve the sales potential.

X has some aspects of modern games that the numbered games are missing:

1) Character editor for the main character.

2) The other games have big areas to explore but X was truly Open World.

3) Flying/ Mechs.

xenosaga-750x375.jpg

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2 - Its sales and why they are relevant

2007 - The Acquisition
SI_Wii_DistasterDayOfCrisis_image1600w.jpg

It's 2007 and the Nintendo Wii is rocking the videogame world with its novelty/gimmick, but also thanks to its huge sales numbers. Among all the news, there is something that somehow goes undernoticed, at least in terms of mass market appeal. Nintendo acquired Monolith Soft. - a Bandai-Nacmo owned JRPG team. The relationship between Kyoto-based company and Takahashi team was already pretty close and positive, thanks to a couple of exclusive products developed by Monolith Soft. for the previous Nintendo home console (specifically, Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins), as testified also by the fact that the team was already developing a Nintendo owned IP (as second party), with Disaster - Day of Crisis, a weird action game published in 2008 as Wii esclusive. But Nintendo gola wasn't to transform Monolith Soft. into a westernized action oriented team: on the contrary, the idea was to focus them exaclty on what they were well know for: classic but very ambitious JRPG.

2010 - The Beginning
SI_Wii_XenobladeChronicles_image1600w.jpg

Monolith Soft. was responsible for the classic and belowed Xeno-saga, a very deep role-playing-game saga, and Nintendo back in the days wanted to exploit their expertise to fill a possible void in their lineup, with them focusing their know-how on this kind of production. The actual proof for this goal is that in 2010 they published the first episode of a new saga, still keeping the "Xeno" word in the title: Xeboblade Chronicles (previously known as Monado: Beginning of the World), named after Takahashi's team love for the Xeno-saga products developed under Namco ownership (also to commercially exploit the already beloved IP). This game put Monolith Soft. on the map, among Nintendo fans and worldwide critic, with an ambitious open world (even more impressive considering the limit of the Wii hardware, compared to the existing competitor consoles), a deep storytelling and an amazing OST, that lead a critically acclaimed Metacritic score of 92/100. But, at the same time, something went wrong about it, commercially: despite the huge install base, due to a problematic distribution west-side and due to a declining phase of Wii's performances (that affected negatively also bigger games marketing-wise like The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword) the game was unable to sell at least 1 million copies and in fact its actual LT sales numbers are still a mistery (not being reported by Nintendo in none of their financial report, exactly because it was unable to break that milestone). Ambitious game, critically acclaimed, but commercially problematic. Was the partnership already in danger? Was the saga already buried among better-selling Nintendo owned IPs?

2015 - Monolith flexes its muscles
SI_WiiU_XenobladeChroniclesX_image1600w.jpg

Was Monolith soft. parntership with Nintendo jeopardized? Takahashi: "Hold my beer" - exactly when the misunderstanding around the release of the first game and its tepid mass market response could have generated issues, Nintendo decided to invest in Monolith Soft. programming abilities and funded two projects, both released in 2015, to testify the potential of their hardwares: Xenoblade Chronicles X was a graphical and technical showcase for the Wii U HD capabilities, with an even bigger and completely free-to-explore (even flying!) open world, that for some is still unmatched nowadays, while Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (a remake of the first Wii episode) was chosen to push the portable device revision: only the improved processor and bigger RAM of the New 3DS was able to properly sustain Takahashi's vision for his own game (with the help by Monster Games, being the main tam at Monolith hard at work for Xenoblade X). Unfortunately, despite being technically impressive, due especially to the struggles of the Wii U and the limited install base of the 3DS hardware revision, none of these projects were able to cross that (in)famous million mark.

2017 - Time to shine!
H2x1_NSwitch_XenobladeChronicles2_image1600w.jpg

January 2017, the official Nintendo Switch presentation event. For the first time ever for the franchise, a good portion of the unveil of a brand new Nintendo hardware features a good spot light for Monolith Soft. efforts. Among the games presented, there is also Xenoblade Chronicles 2, new episode of the franchise, planned for the end of the year. The game actually launched in December of the same year, as planned and its pace in terms of sales is on another level. Within the end of the year (so in just three weeks) it crosses the million mark (1.06 million distributed worldwide), beating what its predecessors weren't able to reach in a "life-time" time lapse. Even better: the game continues to sell in a steady way (something not so common among JRPG) and its official numbers at the end of 2020 are around 2,17 millions copies distributed worldwide. Now, since then 1 year and a half has passed and from InstallBase own experts, this number will surely increased when, in 1/2 months from today, we will get access to CESA White Paper 2022, with updated numbers at the end of 2021. What we can anticipate now is that, in any case, the game didn't stop selling; on the contrary! In 2021 at retail in the Japanese market (official numbers tracked MediaCreate agency) it sold another 30k copies; it ranked 27th in the eshop digital chart for the first half on that year, in that market; it has been capable almost every week of this year 2022 to stay within the top 50 of the most downloaded game on the Japanese eshop; it was able to chart in the Famitsu retail week 23 chart, with another 1k copies sold physically. With it being within the voucher program (a deal particularly good for the Japanese market) and with its protagonist Pyra/Mythra added to the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster, its popularity even increased somehow and (even without giving a proper estimate) it's pretty safe to imagine that its LtD global copies shipped worldwide are even significantly higher than the official 2020 figures.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 success: why?!
9d7f542d922660be4463db9a22b29907329b58e8ccc014acc8e4f6665cae9a9d.jpg

Many are the reasons behind this explosion in success, compared to previous entries. Opinions can vary, so we are not going ahead to make a chart, but simply listing different topics that as a matter of fact helped the game is gaining market share/mind share among the mass market, improving Xenoblade brand awareness.
1) The Switch-effect: it is clear how popular the Switch is, and how massive its software sales are, even compared to the most succesfull Nintendo console of the past. So, for Xenoblade 2 being available on the Switch was a competitive advantage compared to Xenoblade 1 (released on the Wii, a very sucessfull console but during its declining phase), Xenoblade X (available as a Wii U exclusive, the least appealing Nintendo console ever, for the mass market) and Xenoblade 3D (available only on the hardware upgrade of the 3DS).
2) Fully promoted: unlike Xenoblade 1 (the only game of this group that could have had the potential of selling well) that was badly promoted (it was not present during that year E3 presentation, but unveiled right after, with just a simple "PR", separated by the main event; it was not distributed by NoA as a total market product for the NA market), Xenoblade 2 was in the center of the spotlight of the most important Nintendo Switch presentation ever (the very first one in January 2017, where they actually presented the console, the price, the launch-window lineup and so on), getting TONS of attention from everyone; it was also distributed as one of the main exclusives for the Holiday period (December 2017), as one of the main selling point of the console, during its first Holiday spending time.
3) Anime-style at its best/worst: this topic has been discussed to death, with many people complaining againts it and its oversexualized approach; this is not the right place where to discuss it, but for the blade design many anime/manga Japanese artists have been involved (the most famous one being Nomura, probably) and the result has been a rich cast of side-characters, alongside the main protagonists of course; this has generated tons of fan made activities spread all over the social media channels (Twitter and so on) that contributed to some sort of viral marketing campaign, that helped in increasing mind share about the product itself. The "anime-manga" style, in the meantime, found a very solid resonance on a global scale, with projects like Persona 5 (2016; Atlus-Sega; more than 5 milllions sold with the "P5R" revised version), Nier Automata (2017; Square-Enix; 6.5 millions), Fire Emblem Three Houses (2019; Nintendo; 3.4 millions at the end of 2020), all the best selling episodes in their franchise history.
4) Gatcha-like system: another mixed topic, considering how for many this unlocking-system was tedious at best, damaging at worst, but it is possible/likely that for the Japanese market at least this somehow helped in generating buzz around the product, especially among content creators
5) Content and promotional continued support by Monolith Soft. and Nintendo: Xenoblade life cycle has been sustained in a very strong way by the developers, thanks to a very meaty post launch support; new heroes, new quests, even an entire new story arch (so meaningful that has been also distributed separately, on cart, as a standalone game). This surely helped the game legs in the mid-long term, alongside Nintendo's decision to continue supporting the Voucher program in both EU and Japan markets; in Japan especially, this digital promotion program is very valuable for pricy games like Xenoblade 2 is in that country (for example, it will be soon possible to buy Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade 3 together for ¥9.980 instead of ¥17.556, in Japan).
6) Smash Bros effect: among Nintendo continue support to the game and the franchise there is also the decision to include both Pyra/Mythra (protagonists of Xenoblade 2) as playable characters in one of their most successfull games ever (28,17 million at March 2022), dedicating also two still-to-be-released amiibo to them. A very good way of increasing the visibility of the cast and consequently of the franchise (it is well-known for example how Sakurai love for the Fire Emblem franchise and its consequent inclusion "en masse" in his fighting games helped the SRPG brand in increasing its awareness among the mass market)

Of course, it being a very good, solid, long, and rich game helped too! (83% on Metacritic)

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 success: consequences
monolith-soft-logo-apr232019.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has been a success, this is obvious. But what does it imply for Monolith Soft and the Xenoblade franchise? Well, surely good things. We have already seen at least a couple of actual facts, that can testify the positive effect of Xeno2 sales.
1) Increased brand awareness for the Xenoblade brand: this is easy to check. In 2020 Nintendo published Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition; this was the third version of the original first episode of the series, after the Wii version and the N3DS one (not counting the downloadable Wii version on the Wii U eShop). Despite it being a "remaster" (not a full remake, at least) of an old game, already sold in many occasions, it was able to achieve a significant market response: at March 31st, 2021 its updated number of distributed copies worldwide was 1.52 millions, way better than any previous iteration of this episode. Its legs slowed down, unlike Xenoblade 2, but the result was already more than satisfying, cementing Xenoblade as a "million seller" franchise among Nintendo IPs portfolio
2) Increased investments into Monolith Soft team by Nintendo: this is undoubtedly a matter of fact; since 2017 (the year when Xenoblade 2 was released) the number of Monolith Soft staff continue to increase; the official number of employees was 150 and, at the end of 2021 it was up to 273. For a company like Nintendo, usually averse to acquisition and unctontrolled increase in internal work force, surely Monolith Soft has been a nice exception. More employees mean the ability to improve their output, or keeping it constant despite the general increase in developing/programming leadtimes, and testifies Nintendo HQ confidence in Takahashi's team efforts

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - The future (connected?)
3f5364fb-xenoblade-chronicles-3-release-date-cover.png

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is almost here: it is clear how its sales potential changed compared to the beginning of this gen, thanks to all the reasons listed and the clear commercial success of Xenoblade 2. The goal? 3 millions mark, minimum.
Unlike 2010, after the struggles of Xenoblade 1 on the market and 2015, when the fate of such "smaller" sellers could have seen them disappear due to Nintendo general struggles during the Wii U - late 3DS era, nowadays it seems clear that Xenoblade is among those series among Nintendo IP portfolio that can be seen as pillars of their software offer (or at least a Monolith Soft. JRPG ambitious project, if they will decide to drop the franchise and try the path of new IP: but if Xenoblade 3 will push the brand into the 3 millions mark territory, it will be hard for them to not develop ALSO a new Xenoblade game, for the next Nintendo console!)

XENOBLADE SERIES: its sales so far
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 2.17 mil (31/12/2020)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: 1.52 mil (31/03/2021)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: < 1 mil
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3D: < 1 mil
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X: < 1 mil

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2: its legs
  • December2017 - 1.06m
Cool! The only game I feel deserve a little mention here is Somma Bringer. Yes, it was an obscure niche game that only was relased in Japan, but it has the distinction of being the first Monolith Soft. game developed and relased as an exclusive Nintendo developer, AND a good action-RPG. Even when I saw the artbook of Xenoblade 1 (included in the Special Editon of Xenoblade for the Switch), some of the drawings clearly were inspired in the original art of Soma Bringer. Thanks for the info.

I think a Xenoblade X Remaster could be very interesting to follow sales wise. Xenoblade X let me forget that Breath of the Wild was missing in 2015. For me it is better as Breath of the Wild and the best Monolith game to date.

With the Remaster they could work at the character models to improve the sales potential.

X has some aspects of modern games that the numbered games are missing:

1) Character editor for the main character.

2) The other games have big areas to explore but X was truly Open World.

3) Flying/ Mechs.
And online multiplayer they could expand.

Given all this, do you think Xenoblade 3 has a chance to have 1m copies shipped + sold digitally in the first 3 days?

Given all this, do you think Xenoblade 3 has a chance to have 1m copies shipped + sold digitally in the first 3 days?
The worse case scenario in Japan would be 400k and it will get bigger shippments in NA and maybe Europe. 1m first 3 days is a lock

Last edited:
Fire Emblem's DLC history is like a speed run of every moment in console DLC since Horse Armor.

Awakening was like Horse Armor, little bits here and there that added up. None that added too much but taking a queue from other Japanese RPG DLC at the time also did trainers.

Fates was their experimental hey let's release this as episodic content moment with how Digital Fates is the Cat in the Box until after chapter six and it still has slightly worse trainer maps. All three routes are about two and a half games worth of content though so buying it all digitally was a good deal. Shame about the writing.

Echoes was their Gust/Atlus RPG moment of selling all these weird ass parts for more than the game was worth. The story stuff is excellent though with really good prequel content. The worst DLC for one of the better games of the nu era.

Three Houses is more what I think of when I think Nintendo DLC. A fair value for a lot more content. 4 characters and a decent side campaign. Some interesting lore and a couple of cheat items/new settings. Not quite on the level of Mario Kart 8/Xenoblade Chronicles 2/Mario Golf World Tour of crazy value for your money but better than most season passes.

As far as XBC3 goes it is being treated a lot like post Awakening Fire Emblem now. Big advertising budget on this one, global release, consistent tweets/videos coming out up until launch. It'll do one million world wide first week no problem. Well, the only problem is when Nintendo gets around to tell us.

Nice @Aostia82 also Nintendo JP just released their eshop sales ranking for the first half of this year and Xenoblade 2 ranked (22) ahead of FE Three Hopes (27) and just a tad below Triangle Strategy (20)

Source :

Cool! The only game I feel deserve a little mention here is Somma Bringer. Yes, it was an obscure niche game that only was relased in Japan, but it has the distinction of being the first Monolith Soft. game developed and relased as an exclusive Nintendo developer, AND a good action-RPG. Even when I saw the artbook of Xenoblade 1 (included in the Special Editon of Xenoblade for the Switch), some of the drawings clearly were inspired in the original art of Soma Bringer. Thanks for the info.
Soma Bringer is also important due to the change up in development style, if I recall. It was the first game that Takahashi focused first on getting the gameplay nailed before considering the story and world.

God, I would love a Soma Bringer remake. I loved the game so much that I bought a copy even though I know nothing of Japanese.

A remake would work so well, it was basically Nintendo's Diablo.

Just a quick update, courtesy of CESA White Paper 2022 (numbers up to December 31st 2021)

• December2017 - 1.06m
  • December 2021 - 2.44m (+270k in 12 months)
Now let's wait for next quarter Nintendo official results to take a look at X3 first quarter shipments!

Bonus: Xenoblade 1 DE:
December 2021 - 1.68m (+160k in 9 months)

Last edited:
Just a quick update, courtesy of CESA White Paper 2022 (numbers up to December 31st 2021)

• December2017 - 1.06m
  • December 2021 - 2.44m (+270k in 12 months)
Now let's wait for next quarter Nintendo official results to take a look at X3 first quarter shipments!

Bonus: Xenoblade 1 DE:
December 2021 - 1.68m (+160k in 6 months)
It's crazy that DE is going to end up close to 2m.

CY 2021

XCDE - 200k
XC2 - 270k

I think DE has fallen behind 2 launch alligned but I'm at work so I can't check for sure.
FY-wise? Not yet. At the end of 2019 XC2 was at 1.65M, while at the end of 2021 XCDE was at 1.68M. However this comparison isn't entirely fair, as its ~13 vs ~19 months.

Yeah I meant launch alligned (7 quarters after launch).
The comparison I provided is launch aligned, but FY-wise. Quarter-wise (which provides a more accurate and fair comparison) XC2 is already ahead, yeah, but we don't have data for its 7th quarter. It was at 1.73M after 6 quarters, though, vs. 1.68M for XCDE after 7 quarters.

Xenoblade 2 getting close to 2.5M (probably over by now) its impressive, never seen a JRPG with such good legs, i hope its the same for Xenoblade 3

Back
Top Bottom