• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Xbox + Microsoft FY24 Q3 Results: Total Gaming +51%, Content and Services +62%, Hardware -31% (next quarter guidance in OP)

Mexico I’m not sure anymore. Sure Xbox was supply constrained in 2022 but Nintendo LATAM president said Nintendo market share was over 40% in 2022. Also, every year the amount of switches sold in Mexico increases so I wouldn’t be sure about that.

It should be accurate that Xbox bodies PS in Mexico tho.
Nintendo Switch here in Brazil is kinda affordable.

You can buy the OLED model (official from Nintendo Brazil) for around 2000~2100 Reais.

If the Switch 2 really costs 400 Dollars and the Nintendo Brazil follows the same logic as the OLED model, then the Switch 2 would cost 2400~2500 Reais. And for that price, the console could be a huge (HUGE) success here.

While I'm not sure if there is an official source for Mexico's numbers, anecdotaly Xbox has always been very strong here, and it's not just about Gears although it is indeed very popular, in the 80's and early 90's there was official Nintendo prescence in Mexico and that extended to marketing with an official store in Mexico City, a very popular magazine and a weekly TV show, but that prescence faded a quite a bit in the late 90's don't really know why and by the time GBA and GC were launched there was minimal marketing but the brand, specially Mario and Smash remained very strong, PS has never been very strong here, and at the time of the first PS, there was close to 0 prescence in official retail channels with the vast mayority being sold at gray market ready to be used for piracy, it's gotten better over the years for PS but Mexico is proably the only market in th world where there is a big chance of PS being 3rd in marketshare pretty consistently (maybe not during the WiiU era).

But then MS came with the Xbox early with strong official prescence and what I could call the first instance of regional pricing with Xbox, from the console to games and even Xbox live, the brand got even stronger during the 360 with excelent regional pricing and extending the marketing to dubbing almost al of their first party games in mexican spanish with popular voice actors, since then the brand has remained strong though there was a dip in popularity since the One like everywhere but it remains competitive unlike in most markets helped a lot by the Series S although lately both the PS5 and X have gone down in price significantly to what the PS4 and One used to cost early. Nintendo exploded again with the Switch and most likely remains the market leader here.

Why does Phil Spencer paint the picture of Xbox as an underdog in gaming? Microsoft gaming division has 3 times the amount of employees Nintendo have, and more employees than Sony interactive entertainment. It also has much larger acqusition budget than any of their competitors combined. Nintendo only have about 1000 game developers working for them at the moment for example.

Why does Phil Spencer paint the picture of Xbox as an underdog in gaming? Microsoft gaming division has 3 times the amount of employees Nintendo have, and more employees than Sony interactive entertainment. It also has much larger acqusition budget than any of their competitors combined. Nintendo only have about 1000 game developers working for them at the moment for example.
They're an underdog in terms of console sales. That's basically it.

You could argue by mid 360 gen, they were no longer underdogs. Losing marketshare because you made terrible decisions for 10+ straight years (2010-2020) doesn't make you an underdog, it makes you undeserving of any success. The Xbox division is just lucky it's part of a multi-trillion dollar company.

iirc during the Activision trial, they still considered themselves underdogs even after buying out Bethesda, which is absolutely absurd.

With U$5.0 billion on Content & Services and just U$0.3 billion on Hardware last quarter, makes sense for Microsoft to push software everywhere.

Thats completely wrong.
Most of that software money comes from Xbox hardware sales. If Xbox hardware sales were gone, that software revenue will be gone as well.

Late 2022. 90% GP subs were on Xbox Hardware.
100% Gold subs are on Xbox Hardware
$700M 1P revenue on Xbox Hardware
$6.6B 3P revenue on Xbox Hardware

You're looking at a collapse of $10-11B in software revenue.

Its either that or closing down studios. Gamepass have stagnated and Steam sales barely amount to anything for them. Bar few exception like Forza Horizon and SoT, rest of their games failed to sell much on Steam.

Even Starfield flopped on Steam relatively speaking.

Thats completely wrong.
Most of that software money comes from Xbox hardware sales. If Xbox hardware sales were gone, that software revenue will be gone as well.

Late 2022. 90% GP subs were on Xbox Hardware.
100% Gold subs are on Xbox Hardware
$700M 1P revenue on Xbox Hardware
$6.6B 3P revenue on Xbox Hardware

You're looking at a collapse of $10-11B in software revenue.
Even with hardware sales declining, Xbox C&S revenue is still growing.

Even with hardware sales declining, Xbox C&S revenue is still growing.

That doesn't contradict anything I said. Those revenues, $10B+ are still on Xbox hardware.
Citing hardware revenue without realising that software revenue is directly dependent on said hardware revenue is what you got wrong.

If the rumours are correct and Microsoft will launch their biggest games on PS5 soonish. When will they announce this shift? Remember Phil Spencer denied this on a youtube livestream just a few months ago. So what would be the optimal way for Spencer to backtrack on this and when will he do it?

If the rumours are correct and Microsoft will launch their biggest games on PS5 soonish. When will they announce this shift? Remember Phil Spencer denied this on a youtube livestream just a few months ago. So what would be the optimal way for Spencer to backtrack on this and when will he do it?
I believe the only legitimate rumors are that Microsoft corporate doesn't want red lines. E.g., not saying Halo and Gears won't go over. That's different from "go port this" and "okay, now we completed the port and we have a marketing plan."

Porting would take another 6 months from a decision being made I'd guess.

I would be surprised if anything material gets ported this year. If it does, I'd assume they'd do a podcast after the June showcase shores up the base and makes them happy.

ETA: This is especially true given porting isn't a silver bullet. HiFi Rush didn't sell great on Playstation. The only big existing multiplayer standout games that Xbox could do ports of are:
1. Forza Horizon 4 + 5 (that studio's already working on 2 new games)
2. Age of Empires franchise (IDK if they believe these would actually perform well on consoles esp. without GamePass)
3. Microsoft Flight Sim (that studio's already working on a new game and would it perform well on consoles without GamePass?)
4. Halo Infinite (that studio's already working on another game and Infinite is in a lower-level of support now anyway)
5. Halo MCC (on ice, support studio's likely dispersed)
6. State of Decay (that studio's working on another game and SoD2 is pretty old and low level of CCU by now)
7. Gears (same as State of Decay)
8. Ori (studio's moved on)

ETA2: I guess I skipped Starfield. I doubt that gets ported till it has the expansion out and the narrative has changed at least.

Last edited:
I believe the only legitimate rumors are that Microsoft corporate doesn't want red lines. E.g., not saying Halo and Gears won't go over. That's different from "go port this" and "okay, now we completed the port and we have a marketing plan."

Porting would take another 6 months from a decision being made I'd guess.

I would be surprised if anything material gets ported this year. If it does, I'd assume they'd do a podcast after the June showcase shores up the base and makes them happy.

ETA: This is especially true given porting isn't a silver bullet. HiFi Rush didn't sell great on Playstation. The only big existing multiplayer standout games that Xbox could do ports of are:
1. Forza Horizon 4 + 5 (that studio's already working on 2 new games)
2. Age of Empires franchise (IDK if they believe these would actually perform well on consoles esp. without GamePass)
3. Microsoft Flight Sim (that studio's already working on a new game and would it perform well on consoles without GamePass?)
4. Halo Infinite (that studio's already working on another game and Infinite is in a lower-level of support now anyway)
5. Halo MCC (on ice, support studio's likely dispersed)
6. State of Decay (that studio's working on another game and SoD2 is pretty old and low level of CCU by now)
7. Gears (same as State of Decay)
8. Ori (studio's moved on)

ETA2: I guess I skipped Starfield. I doubt that gets ported till it has the expansion out and the narrative has changed at least.
I think that Flight Simulator will come to PS. And AoE probably too. Doom will come too (Day 1 probably, but not necessary).

Halo are not coming for the reasons you mentioned already - they don't support those games much anyway. With Forza Horizon the situation is the same - they don't support the game anyway.

Compare that to SoT with its continuous support.

I think that Flight Simulator will come to PS. And AoE probably too. Doom will come too (Day 1 probably, but not necessary).
Surprised you really think AOE would cover the cost of a port? Are there other trad RTS' that we can use as comps?

I'm not saying Microsoft wouldn't port them if they thought it was worth it. Those aren't major console-sellers and they are respected / great games with long tails and MTX. I'm just dubious they're worth it.

Surprised you really think AOE would cover the cost of a port? Are there other trad RTS' that we can use as comps?

I'm not saying Microsoft wouldn't port them if they thought it was worth it. Those aren't major console-sellers and they are respected / great games with long tails and MTX. I'm just dubious they're worth it.
AoE is doing quite well actually. With it having console port, it should not be the problem. Plus it still gets a continuous support.

Ara is also an interesting case as there is no console version for now. Will it launch with PS5 and XBS versions?

It is more about the support. I am curious of SoT numbers but it is doing quite fine for now.

AoE is doing quite well actually.
To be fair, on a console that was always PC-friendly, brand-aligned, and in a subscription from Day 1.

I'm curious...what evidence do you have it's doing well? All I've seen has been people in the community saying they liked the port and they could find some multiplayer games. Not doubting you, I just haven't seen any stats!

To be fair, on a console that was always PC-friendly, brand-aligned, and in a subscription from Day 1.

I'm curious...what evidence do you have it's doing well? All I've seen has been people in the community saying they liked the port and they could find some multiplayer games. Not doubting you, I just haven't seen any stats!
I think Jez mentioned that in the past or something. I don't think we even got the official numbers.

I think Jez mentioned that in the past or something. I don't think we even got the official numbers.
Got it. I think that was at launch, but sounds right. Again, I don't think we meaningfully disagree -- Microsoft clearly wants more $, multiplat is one solution, it worked for 2 out of 4 games (maybe 3 since who knows what Pentiment port cost), and there's a decent catalogue for them to port, but no obvious quick wins.

My personal bet would be:
1. Announce MSFS 2024 -- then shadow reveal that MSFS 20 is coming to PS5 at the same time as MSFS24 comes to PC and Xbox. That way people can say "oh well it's the old one" and you can always patch over the 2024 content to Playstation in a few months and no one will care.

2. Announce Forza Horizon 6. Then a couple months later, reveal Forza Horizon 4 (a very old game, but still mega popular) is coming to PS5. That way the hardcore can again not worry, plus you can then a year later port Forza Horizon 5 to PS5 and get another huge amount of money.

My personal bet would be:
1. Announce MSFS 2024 -- then shadow reveal that MSFS 20 is coming to PS5 at the same time as MSFS24 comes to PC and Xbox. That way people can say "oh well it's the old one" and you can always patch over the 2024 content to Playstation in a few months and no one will care.
I am not sure if the team would want to support MSFS 20 PS when MSFS is there on PC and Xbox. I would rather believe that MSFS 2024 is coming to PS as the content support would be the same. Plus all those engine improvements in MSFS etc.

I wonder if Microsoft got blindsided by the success of Fallout tv show ramifications, it was the perfect chance to launch FO4 on the Switch or something.

While it would have totally been a compromised port, it could have definitely be a big hit (and a potential Switch 2 upgrade)

Back
Top Bottom