• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Xbox Business Update Podcast: Phil Spencer, Sarah Bond, Matt Booty (3PM EST, 12PM PST, 8PM GMT)

As always, Mat Piscatella gives a lot of welcome news that's wonderful to have info on but it's very US-based. Xbox is very US-oriented so also say the same but this time only make it look positive for themselves. What Mat Piscatella is saying isn't really the case in EU and Asia.
Does Genshin Impact not compare?

Sports games are extremely bad on PC if they're ported to PC in general and I'm not sure why.

NBA 2K and Madden refuse to port the PS5 versions of their games to PC and are still porting the PS4 versions over.

its an easy statement to say considering what happened on pc

they are just conditioning their market for less backlash

Where are you getting that several million? This is the last sales report on Hellblade:

Do you mean this:

Because this is players, not units sold.
Judging by the amount of reviews, it sold roughly 2m on Steam alone. That's why I said "several".

I stuck with Xbox throughout the Xbox One generation assuming they would turn a corner at some point and it never happened. They started losing me when they shifted to Game Pass and it’s gotten progressively worse since then. It’s clear to me now they will never truly turn things around. They are just making moves to slow down their inevitable decline. What a shame.

As always, Mat Piscatella gives a lot of welcome news that's wonderful to have info on but it's very US-based. Xbox is very US-oriented so also say the same but this time only make it look positive for themselves. What Mat Piscatella is saying isn't really the case in EU and Asia.

mat is based in the usa. hope that helps.

So basically MS confirmed they wont be leaving hardware for at least another decade (next gen, plus the rest of this goes through that long). Barely confirmed a few possibly already rumored multiplatform games. And didn't really state anything else concrete about multiplatform plans at all. all this despite many/most predicting they announce going third party at this podcast. This was truly about as bad a show if you hoped MS was quitting as could be imagined.

"Console exclusive games will be a smaller and smaller portion of the industry in the coming 5-10 years''
If they believe that it means they are already evaluating to port more (and bigger) Microsoft first-party games on Nintendo and PlayStation.
Nowadays it takes 5-7 years for big games to be produced so if they start around this time the process to shift to a multi-platform strategy it means it will swing in full effect in 5-10 years.
No surprise rumors about Gears, Flight Sim and new Doom under consideration are already flying.

Made me laughs how Spencer was so ready to cite AMD prediction that XBS/PS5 will decline in 2024 even if it is bad showing for the XB hardware cause it justify their multi-platform strategy and cause he is ahappy to throws under the bus PS5 with them.

There was some discussion of whether the 34 mil gamepass number included Core (xbl gold), but there were comments from Sarah Bond mentioning 34 million people being able to play Diablo 4 soon so probably not unless they're bringing D4 to the core tier.
Podcast was filled with PR bullshit.

Microsoft has confirmed to The Verge that not all 34 million Xbox Game Pass subscribers will get access to Diablo IV next month. The game won't be available to Xbox Game Pass Core subscribers, which Microsoft counts as part of the overall 34 million subs

"Console exclusive games will be a smaller and smaller portion of the industry in the coming 5-10 years''
If they believe that it means they are alreadt evaluating to port more (and bigger) Microsoft first-party games on Nintendo and PlayStation.
Nowadays it takes 5-7 years for big games to be produced so if they start around this time the process to shift to a multi-platform strategy it means it will swing in full effect in 5-10 years.

Made me laughs how Spencer was so ready to cite AMD prediction that XBS/PS5 will decline in 2024 even if it is bad showing for the XB hardware cause it justify their multi-platform strategy and cause he is ahappy to throws under the bus PS5 with them.

I'm confused by this bolded. Can you explain this?

Wasn't he just stating facts? Console sales will be lower this year compared to last year, that's almost guaranteed.

The timing was pretty good for them with Sony having their middling results and talking about multiplatform releases also, and even Helldivers being a big success on Steam. What seemed like a big shift in strategy a few months ago seems like a more natural path today.

If they believe that it means they are already evaluating to port more (and bigger) Microsoft first-party games on Nintendo and PlayStation.

They are setting the expectations for next gen XBOX games being day 1 on other platforms. Nintendo and Playstation doesn't need XBOX console ports as much as other way around because of installbase. Next XBOX will sell less then half of XBS with first party multiplatform games. It will become even harder to justify 3rd party ports with smaller installbase. They are hoping for cloud gaming to get good enough by 2035 to take over consoles.

Remember years ago when Sony first stated their intent to port ''some'' of their games to PC? They assured fans that the biggest Sony titles would remain exclusive and that nothing major has changed. That was just a tactic from Sony to then normalize releasing all big Playstation exclusive games to PC. That is basically what Microsoft is doing now, using that same tactic to slowly normalize the change that is indeed happening. Its called boiling the frog and is a very effective tactic.
Yep
Starfield and other's will come to ps5 and switch 2
Post automatically merged:

This 22 min podcast could easily be made last week and put an end on speculations earlier.

Anyway, now that is done, fans pro or against Xbox overreacted during the rumors as expected, there's a change in course but is gradual and at least in the current gen nothing fundamental will change for a Xbox owner.
I think the change will start next gen
I also think sony and Nintendo will release their first party games day 1 on pc
Maybe I'm wrong
Who knows 😅

TGA is on december, I believe they will launch the Series X revision likely in november.
I was more thinking about new hardware like the next xbox console or something.

Promising huge leap with next hardware at least 3 years before release shows that situation is bad if you have to tell this so early.
People were speculating that Xbox is leaving hardware altogether so of course he mentioned that the new hardware is coming.

But is he wrong though? We literally got PS5 earnings on Wednesday and everything is exactly as he stated...And that's while people still believe that PS5 will reach 100m in sales. I personally don't see that. Would not be surprised that by 2027-2028 we will still have some PS4 games. Considering that people are still playing the huge games like Fortnite, Minecraft, COD etc. on last gen consoles I would not be surprised that even in 2027 people will still play the same games on the same hardware.

Pretty much, I feel like a stronger investment in their in-house PC porting capabilities was required some time ago.

If you look at the obvious games that would sell well on PC like GoT/DS/GT7...
I have a feeling that the studios are doing the job mostly themselves? That's going to be some growing pains but also miss the mark where there's going to be severe diminishing returns on RoI due to the fact that ports are just too late.

Their efforts in PC expertise will pay off for their future projects, but not for the ones right now when it feasibly could be a case of both.
We know that the more a port is delayed, the more people just move on, it's not like the PC platform is lacking in new games to play every month. Money is being left on the table, which ironically is the aim of this whole initiative.
Personally it seems like companies were caught off guard in regards of development costs. And also probably nobody expected that people won't migrate in droves from the previous games due to big platform games (that Booty mentioned as competitors to consoles themselves). That did not happen in the past generation for sure. Like Xbox 360 / PS3 were cut off but with Xbox One / PS4 we still get the games and updates after all these years. And now have development times where it takes the whole gen (5-6 years) to deliver one game.

Last edited:
Yep
Starfield and other's will come to ps5 and switch 2
Post automatically merged:

I think the change will start next gen
I also think sony and Nintendo will release their first party games day 1 on pc
Maybe I'm wrong
Who knows 😅

Nintendo would rather bail out of videogames business rather than releasing their games on PC.
That said, who knows what the landscape will look like 15 years from now.

I'm confused by this bolded. Can you explain this?

Wasn't he just stating facts? Console sales will be lower this year compared to last year, that's almost guaranteed.
It was my personal reaction (amusement, admittedly "smile" would have been a better term than "laugh") on the underlaying message conveyed (at least how I perceived it).
Is it true that Lisa Su (AMD CEO) stated recently that they expect their console revenue to have double digits decline (which is what Spencer referred to)? Yes.
However I immediately thought about why Spencer, unprompted (the whole podcast's presented message was heavily curated within Xbox), felt the need to state it even thought they are still a console manufacturer (and will be for a while) so that wouldn't put a positive spin.
My guess is that the lack of growth (decline) is used as a further validation of his/Xbox thesis that in the not-so-distant future very few (first-party) games will be platform exclusives and if first-party want their games to grow their reach/profit margins they need to accept to publish on every platforms.
The deeper motivation in citing an expecation about AMD-bound consoles, is to suggest without saying it that even the stronger twin (PlayStation) could eventually follow suit.

And frankly in the past it happened that Xbox was a precursor on steps PlayStation would follow years later.
Remember when Xbox started to port Xbox games to PC at first only a few samples but in time with more and more day one releases?
When Xbox started the shift people thought impossible that PlayStation would have done the same (even down the road) and yet in 2024 not only first-party PlayStation games on PC aren't a surprise but we have SIE CEO to strengthen the effort of multi-platforms initiative, like PC.

Last edited:
If you talk about Europe or Asia, it's just different games.

And for Europe it's just also Fifa/ EA Sports FC, li
And still bunch of Sonys games aren't ported to PC yet ( no Demon's Souls remake, rumored since 2020, then GOT, GT7, TLOU 2...)
Yes. Some games won't get ported for whatever reason. And the same will happen at Microsoft even if most games will go complete multiplat at some point.

I was more thinking about new hardware like the next xbox console or something.

2024 is too soon to announce a next gen, so I believe Sarah Bond is talking about hardware related to current gen.

There's some reports that Series X refresh was cancelled, but maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom