• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Will Soul Hackers 2 sell more than Shin Megami Tensei V?

What will have better lifetime sales, SMTV or Soul Hackers 2?

• Shin Megami Tensei V

Votes: 165 67.6%
  • Soul Hackers 2

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • Shin Megami Tensei V, but only if the rumoured PC/PS4 versions release

Votes: 21 8.6%
  • Soul Hackers 2, but only if it gets a Switch port later

Votes: 14 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
even with a similar number of tracking days, Digimon and Xenoblade looks to have done much better in July than SH2 did in August. a number of games that were below those two are above Soul Hackers.

SH2 probably did enough to make its money back, but it's probably done as a series. the book is closed on this

Yeah pretty much. The bar got dropped into the ocean in terms of expectations.

Yeah. Agreed here. I dont see that as good August which is slow months as good performance. If this is all US can muster, i cant see it doing better anywhere else there ww.

At first i thought with hard price cut it may reach 1m all in all. I guess at this point, it will need heavy price cut to reach Nocturne remastered number.

I mean I did say so, lol

Sucks it bombed that badly, it’s a good game that deserved better
I guess dont release a Jrpg in the current Jrpg machine wasn't the Smart move.

Like seriously all this argument of releasing the game only the consoles of worldwide appeal is offensive as hell.
One more time Atlus treating Nintendo users like second class.
Thank God Persona 5 is gonna be released soon.

Having that platform exclusive marketing seems to work a lot more for Atlus. Its clear, they don’t know how to market their games on their own

So I had this in my backlog of things to finish but I'm struggling a bit to complete it properly, sharing what's already been done is a good form of external motivation and giving myself a good kick in the butt, sorry if this post layout is a bit all over the place

Basically I wanted to take a look at Soul Hackers 2 credits to have a better idea on who worked on it and what was the scale of the project.
The tldr; isn't very complicated, it's mostly the TMS #FE team with some changes here and there and Artdink who supposedly took care of Steam and Xbox SKU, the hardest part is comparing the scales of the project eg. was SH2 comparable to TMS #FE in term of development, was it smaller or bigger ?

The only thing we can go by is the lead and number counts, which is what I tried to do

Primary source

Timestamp : 1h27mn30s

Credits source : Manual check of every name on mobygames

So the keypoints from Atlus internal studio

• 19 different leads*
  • 101 names in the credits
  • 83 different people
* I identified "leads" by their title job simply including "lead" or the title itself implying it (like "director" or "producer)

Lead credits
Demon Design
Masayuki Doi (SMTIV, IVA, V, Kaneko's successor)
Yuka Nakai (SMTIV 2D Chara Design, DS2 RB Map Designer, TMS #FE 2D Art Design, RH PC Art Director)

Scenario Writing
Makoto Miyauchi (DS2 RB, TMS #FE, planner EO III EOIV)
Haruna Sato (NEW)

Based on a story by
Eiji Ishida (TMS #FE, SJ Redux, SJ, Art Director on SMTIV, Chief Designer on Dsum 2 SMT III etc.)

Game Design
Mitsuru Hirata (Lead on RH PC, TMS #FE, SMT SJ, RH, various on SMTIV, SJ R, Dsum, SMT III)

Lead Event Planning
Kenichi Takamori (TMS #FE, others on EO II R, EO R, SMTIV, EOIV, RH, SJ, EO IV, IU)

Lead Battle Planning
Yu Hashizume (not lead on, TMS #FE, SJ R, RH PC)

Lead Field Planning
Yuki Sasaki (not lead on, RH, SMTIV, TMS #FE, RH PC)

Lead Programming
Junichi Nakamura (not lead on, EO IV, TMS #FE)

Lead Event Programming
Ryota Kobayashi (new at Atlus, programmer on various DB Budokai, Danganronpa, OP BB, Jump Force)

Lead Battle Programming
Soichi Miyachi (new at Atlus, Atelier, Xenoblade , Pokemon S/M)

Lead Field programming
Masanori Kinoshita (TMS #FE, Programmer on Budokai Tenkaichi, special thanks SMTIV)

Lead Interface Programming
Hiroki Iwasaki (Iwazaki, I think they made a typo in the credits there) Non lead on RH PC, TMS #FE

Lead Event Design
Eiji Ishida (already above)

Lead Battle Design
Masakazu Dohi (Map Designer DS2 BR, Effect Chief Designer TMS #FE)

Lead Motion & Modeling Design
Taku Yasumoto (not lead, DS 2 RB, TMS #FE, SMTV)

Lead Field Design
Takayoshi Kawase (not lead, DS, DS2 RB, TMS #FE)

Lead Interface Design
Yukari Yokoro (20y old at Atlus, lead DDS2, P3, EO II, P3P, EO III, IV, same job P5 P5R, also worked on SMTV, only special thanks on TMS #FE)

Lead Concept Art & Graphic Design
Akiko Kotoh (20+y old at Atlus, first time lead, SJ R, TMS #FE, DS2 RB etc.)

Production Manager
Shinjiro Takata (SMTV, RH PC, SJ R, SMTIV A, TMS #FE, EO II R, Director DS 2 RB, SMT IV etc)

Director/Producer : Mitsuru Hirata, Eiji Ishida

So the next thing I then began to do was try to compare it to TMS #FE

TMS #FE / SH2 rough lead comparison
  • 19 leads, same as SH2
  • 2 scenario writer vs 5 for TMS#FE, 1 in common (1, Yoh Haduki, was one of the 3 on SMTV)
  • 3 big Main are the same, Ishida, Hirata, Takamori
  • Field Chief planning, Watanabe Tatsuya went on to work on SMTV
  • Battle Chief planning stepped down and switched with Hashizune who was promoted
  • Kinoshita still lead in programming (chief vs lead field)
  • The 2 Art Directors went elsewhere, Yano also 3D Model Chief Design (???) and Morisawa was a Nintendo guy
  • 2D Art Chief Design, Morishige Akihiko went (???)
  • Event Chief Design, Katsuhito Hora went on to work on SMTV
  • 3D Motion Chief Design , Yasumoto Taku same kind of lead job
  • Field Chief Design, Aramaki Kohtaro stepped down from lead and Kawase Takayoshi took his place
  • UI Chief Design, Kato Takashi went to work on SJ R, Catherine, SMTV
  • Effect Chief Design : Masakazu Dohi also promoted to Lead Battle Design
  • Project Manager, Nakamura Yoko Chief Project Manager on SMTV
  • Chief Project Manager, Sadataka Hitoshi, Team Leader on SMTV
  • Director Ando Kaori, Nintendo person
  • The overall name count from internal staff is hovering around 110-130
  • TMS #FE had a loooot more outsourcing

TLDR;
The big leads Ishida, Hirata Takamori are the same, a few went to work on SMTV, the Nintendo staff obviously changed, a couple people were promoted, a couple are MIA, TMS #FE used a lot of outsourcing compared to SH2

Conclusion
In short the TMS #FE staff was clearly used as the foundation for the team working on Soul Hackers 2, the project looks pretty comparable in scale as far as head count is concerned, some creative staff changed (especially the external ones), and Soul Hackers 2 was supposedly almost fully done in house while TMS #FE used a fair amount of outsourcing for graphical assets.
A few leads from TMS #FE went on to work on SMTV, at the same time a few leads from older SMT projects that didn't work on TMS #FE came to work on Soul Hackers 2, as time passed some lead jobs were taken by people being promoted while some former leads remained but not in a lead role anymore, a couple people with experience were also poached from others companies to fill some lead roles.

Do note that most of the general remarks are based on the lead roles solely (20-25% of the headcount) , however I don't expect it to be very different if we were to look at every name credited, I didn't do it because it's a very time consuming affair.

Acronym list
DS : Devil Survivor
DSum : Devil Summoner
EO : Etrian Odyssey
IU : Infinite Undiscovery
OP BB : One Piece Burning Blood
RH PC : Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology
SJ : Strange Journey
SMT : Shin Megami Tensei

Full credits list for those interested

Character Design : Shirow Miwa
Character Illustrations : Mai Yoneyama
Original Demon Designs : Kazuma Kaneko
Demon Design : Masayuki Doi (SMTIV, IVA, V, Kaneko's successor), Yuka Nakai (SMTIV 2D Chara Design, DS2 RB Map Designer, TMS #FE 2D Art Design, RH PC Art Director)
Scenario Writing : Makoto Miyauchi (DS2 RB, TMS #FE, planner EO III EOIV), Haruna Sato (NEW)
Scenario Advisor : Kenichi Takamori (Event on TMS #FE, EOII R, EO R, SMTIV EOIV, RH, SMT SJ, Writer EO IV, Infinite Undiscovery)
Based on a story by : Eiji Ishida (TMS #FE, SJ Redux, SJ, Art Director on SMTIV, Chief Designer on Dsum 2 SMT III etc.)

Game Design : Mitsuru Hirata (Lead on RH PC, TMS #FE, SMT SJ, RH, various on SMTIV, SJ R, Dsum, SMT III)
Lead Event Planning : Kenichi Takamori X2 (TMS #FE, others on EO II R, EO R, SMTIV, EOIV, RH, SJ, EO IV, IU)
Event Planning : Minoru Nakajima, Takahiro Yamamoto, Tomohiko Kobayashi, Yosuke Matsushita

Request and NPC Planning : Kazuya Yotsuzuka
Vision Quest Planning : Yukihiro Tanisaka
Safehouse Planning : Haruna Sato X2
Lead Battle Planning : Yu Hashizume (not lead on, TMS #FE, SJ R, RH PC)
Battle Planning : Keuichi Yamatsuta, Kenichi Sato
Lead Field Planning : Yuki Sasaki (not lead on, RH, SMTIV, TMS #FE, RH PC)
Field Planning : Yosuke Matsushita X2, Takamasa Saito
Demon Talk Planning : Kazuya Yotsuzuka X2
Interface Planning : Seika Nakatsuji, Yuki Sakamoto
Tips & Help Planning : Minoru Nakajima X2, Makoto Miyauchi X2
Award Planning : Kenichi Takamori X3, Yukihiro Tanisaka X2

Lead Programming : Junichi Nakamura (not lead on, EO IV, TMS #FE)
Lead Event Programming : Ryota Kobayashi (new at Atlus, programmer on various DB Budokai, Danganronpa, OP BB, Jump Force)
Event Programming : Shoki Matsushima
Lead Battle Programming : Soichi Miyachi (new at Atlus, Atelier, Xenoblade , Pokemon S/M)
Battle Programming : Hiroaki Morita

Lead Motion & Modeling Design : Taku Yasumoto (not lead, DS 2 RB, TMS #FE, SMTV)
Motion Design : Hiroki Sasaki, Tomoatsu Yoshida, Yuji Unuma, Shogo Kutsuwa, Yuuki Shiihashi
Masahiro Iwafuji, Takumi Yamamoto, Fumie Tomono, Masami Sakakura, Keiko Kato
Modelign Design : Yu Sugisawa, Eri Imamura, Miyuki Harigai, Tomoko Watanabe, Yoko Sunayama
Yoshiro Matsumoto, Haruka Hirono, Hideyoshi Kato

Lead Field programming : Masanori Kinoshita (TMS #FE, Programmer on Budokai Tenkaichi, special thanks SMTIV)
Field Programming : Yuki Fujiwara
Lead Interface Programming : Hiroki Iwasaki (Iwazaki ?)Non lead on RH PC, TMS #FE
Interface Programming : Masamichi Yanagisawa
Graphics Programming : Fuminari Aoto
System Programming : Junichi Nakamura X2
Award Programming : Hiroki Iwasaki X2, Ryota Kobayashi X2

Lead Event Design : Eiji Ishida X2
Event Design : Ryo Yamada, Moeka Yamazaki, Masayuki Takeda, Dai Ito
Character Illustrations : Akira Odagaki
Lead Battle Design : Masakazu Dohi (Map Designer DS2 BR, Effect Chief Designer TMS #FE)
Battle Design : Mayumi Iwata
Effect Design : Masakazu Dohi X2, Mayumi Iwata X2, Keiichi Ueda, Yusuke Koike

Lead Field Design : Takayoshi Kawase (not lead, D Sur, DS2 RB, TMS #FE)
Field Design : Mayuko Aranami, Kotaro Aramaki, Yoko Homma, Shimpei Ohata, Eri Nakamura, Yoichi Sonoda, Hazuki Nara
Lead Interface Design : Yukari Yokoro (20y old at Atlus, lead DDS2, P3, EO II, P3P, EO III, IV, same job P5 P5R, also worked on SMTV, only special thanks on TMS #FE)
Interface Design : Yuki Terada, Mai Akao
Technical Artist : Taku Yasumoto X2
COMP Design : Asagiri
Lead Concept Art & Graphic Design : Akiko Kotoh (20+y old at Atlus, first time lead, SJ R, TMS #FE, DS2 RB etc.)
Concept Art & Graphic Design : Yuka Nakai X2, Shinnosuke Takaoka, Toshihiro Takeuchi, Suguru Suzumura, Miyu Takeichi

Executive Producer : Haruki Satomi, Yukio Sugino, Go Saito

Production Manager : Shinjiro Takata (SMTV, RH PC, SJ R, SMTIV A, TMS #FE, EO II R, Director DS 2 RB, SMT IV etc)
Director/Producer : Mitsuru Hirata X2, Eiji Ishida X3
Executive Producer : Naoto Hiraoka

EDIT : Somehow came back to mind that mobygames provides a "Collaboration" function that tells you on the credits page which game credit overlap with the one you're currently looking.
While it looks useful on paper I quickly dismissed it for obvious reasons you can see for yourself in the screenshot below
tmsfe-collabs2er1.png

It basically accounts for every single name in the credits, the problem is that what I'm mainly interested was core development staff.
It's not that localizing/marketing/guest artist/voice actors/special thanks/overall production staff aren't important nor interesting to look at, it's just they're not at the core of the creative process nor fully invested throughout the whole development of the game, thus you will find the name of Atlus USA/Sega USA staff on every single Atlus game localized and that's... not very relevant to the thing I was trying to look at.
The end result is that games at the top of this list ends up being "most recent game from the same publisher" and... that's not very relevant, all it tells you is that "in a short span of time it's the same people who are working in the same company" which is not exactly a breaking news.
An that's why if you check SMTV credits you will find that 13 Sentinels is the one at the top of the list despite probably not having a single developer in common with SMTV
Now if that function at mobygames allowed for some kind of "filter" that would be incredible though.

Last edited:
So I had this in my backlog of things to finish but I'm struggling a bit to complete it properly, sharing what's already been done is a good form of external motivation and giving myself a good kick in the butt, sorry if this post layout is a bit all over the place

Basically I wanted to take a look at Soul Hackers 2 credits to have a better idea on who worked on it and what was the scale of the project.
The tldr; isn't very complicated, it's mostly the TMS #FE team with some changes here and there and Artdink who supposedly took care of Steam and Xbox SKU, the hardest part is comparing the scales of the project eg. was SH2 comparable to TMS #FE in term of development, was it smaller or bigger ?

The only thing we can go by is the lead and number counts, which is what I tried to do

Primary source

Credits source : Manual check of every name on mobygames

So the keypoints from Atlus internal studio

• 19 different leads*
  • 101 names in the credits
  • 83 different people
* I identified "leads" by their title job simply including "lead" or the title itself implying it (like "director" or "producer)

Lead credits

So the next thing I then began to do was try to compare it to TMS #FE

TMS #FE / SH2 rough lead comparison

TLDR;
The big leads Ishida, Hirata Takamori are the same, a few went to work on SMTV, the Nintendo staff obviously changed, a couple people were promoted, a couple are MIA, TMS #FE used a lot of outsourcing compared to SH2

Conclusion

Acronym list

Full credits list for those interested

EDIT : Somehow came back to mind that mobygames provides a "Collaboration" function that tells you on the credits page which game credit overlap with the one you're currently looking.
While it looks useful on paper I quickly dismissed it for obvious reasons you can see for yourself in the screenshot below

It basically accounts for every single name in the credits, the problem is that what I'm mainly interested was core development staff.
It's not that localizing/marketing/guest artist/voice actors/special thanks/overall production staff aren't important nor interesting to look at, it's just they're not at the core of the creative process nor fully invested throughout the whole development of the game, thus you will find the name of Atlus USA/Sega USA staff on every single Atlus game localized and that's... not very relevant to the thing I was trying to look at.
The end result is that games at the top of this list ends up being "most recent game from the same publisher" and... that's not very relevant, all it tells you is that "in a short span of time it's the same people who are working in the same company" which is not exactly a breaking news.
An that's why if you check SMTV credits you will find that 13 Sentinels is the one at the top of the list despite probably not having a single developer in common with SMTV
Now if that function at mobygames allowed for some kind of "filter" that would be incredible though.
Thank you for all that hard work! It's always interesting to see a clear comparison of where the team came from, how 1st department juggles its staff, and who has moved up and landed a lead role. It's kinda crazy how Atlus used the DS/3DS eras to build up on internal staff so that this department could exist today.

Back
Top Bottom