• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Where Does Square Enix's HD-2D Line Go From Here?

If only they could partner with sega for an hd-2d shining force .... but i won't happen
That reminds of the cancelled mobile Shining Force that was essentially HD-2D. If that Langrisser mobile game is still alive, I feel Sega could have made a decent penny off that mobile game

HD-2D Ogre Battle Saga..... yes.

Yes, give me March of the Black Queen, and also give me Person of Lordly Caliber

And then.... and then! Give me a new Ogre Battle!!!

I think it is too early to blame HD2D as overused as an artstyle when we are using it in the context of OT2. OT2 comes with the baggage of weaker marketing vs original OT.

Especially when we know how DQ3 HD2D remake is going to blow away past the other 3 HD2D sales outside OT1.
I do feel, that After Triangle Strategy. Team Asano may experiment more with other genre there. Some action Rpg HD2D is not going to be a bad choice there. The more different genre they play around, the less oversaturation will happen to the series.

I think it is way too early to say there's any kind of HD-2D fatigue just based on Octopath 2 slightly underperformed the first game in the launch window. It is still likely to be their, what, 3rd or 4th best selling game out of the 20+ released in the fiscal year (behind Crisis Core, Forspoken and probably Theateryhthm?) Saying "worse marketing" really yada yada yadas past the point that the first game was published by Nintendo so SE was getting less revenue per copy sold (how much less I don't know). 20% lower sales but potentially about that or more revenue per sale? Steam looks like it is doing pretty well (seemingly the best PC launch of their entire FY slate by 50% to 500%), and I'm just not at all convinced that OT2 is not going to pass OT1 at some point in a few years. Steam sales look like they are wildly higher than OT1's steam launch, and I think Steam OT2 is almost a lock to eventually pass Steam OT1. Meanwhile, Triangle Strategy looks fantastic if you just look at Switch, but the Steam version really went nowhere despite being by far the largest performance improvement out of the three Steam games.

At this point, DQ3 is coming. If that does well, they will move on to DQ1&2 combo pack. TriStrat, Octopath, and LAL have all done well enough to justify sequels. A new Final Fantasy spinoff in the style seems like a lock, but trying to determine the order for them is a fools game. Nier 2 is one of SE's best selling games at this point (the best outside of their big three franchises), and there's not even any leaks about Nier 3 yet 6 years later.

If there is a remake of an old game, I'd bet on Treasure of the Rudras, for being a never-officially-localized SNES game with multiple protagonists and an intertwining narrative, which is on-brand for Asano's interests. Bahamut Lagoon

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom