• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

What do you think the PS5's lifetime sales will be?

Phantom Thief

Analyst
Life Will Change
Pronouns
He/Him
vg-20201112-feature-ps5-fg-m.png

The PS5 is now over a year old, which means at this point we have at the very least a better than rudimentary idea of the system's inherent market appeal, broader, extenuating, and otherwise circumstances that may influence how it does in the market, and of course, a year's worth of data and sales trends to extrapolate from. Put simply, I feel like more than a year since the system's launch is not a bad time to ask this question.

The question, of course, being about what the PS5's final sales total may look like.

The interesting thing about the PS5 is how much into unprecedented territory we are at this point. No other company ever has maintained five straight generations of "traditional" home consoles appealing to the core enthusiast market; no successful console ever has launched at more than $399; plus, of course, COVID and its knock on effects create further uncertainties in the market.

Before asking you to commit to an answer in the poll, I figure I will give you a primer and a recap of some considerations that I feel will have an impact (positive or negative, it remains o be seen) on the system's market performance in the long run.

• Manufacturing constraints: This is the most obvious one, because more than a year into the now current generation, it's clear that manufacturing constraints (induced by COVID-19 and its related disruptions on the global logistics and supply chain) have essentially become the current go-to story for these new consoles, with constraints induced chronic shortages having become an ongoing state of things for the PS5 across both its SKUs. These manufacturing constraints aren't limited to just the PS5 or even just video games and computers, of course, with industries such as automobiles and appliances seeing the adverse impacts of these issues as well, but pertinent to the matter at hand, these manufacturing constraints obviously severely limit the market availability of the PS5, at the very least relative to its true market potential. These constraints and shortages won't last forever, and eventually it will be possible for one to walk into a store and buy a PS5 - the question is, will the console bleed a least some of its addressable market before it gets there?
  • Pandemic and economic recession: This one is obviously self explanatory. The great thing from the perspective of analyzing sales performance so far is that the leisure sector seems to have benefitted positively from the pandemic and economic recession, with sales of all consoles, subscriptions to services such as Netflix, and more, having seen increases across the board; so inasmuch as the pandemic figures into this assessment (beyond, obviously, the logistics and manufacturing disruptions it has caused), its influence appears to be positive, not negative.
  • Record breaking sales and demand (at least at launch): It is important not to get too lost in the hypotheticals. At least as things stand right now, the PS5 has had a record breaking launch in most regions and markets across the world. The real world performance for the console, at least a year in, speaks for itself. With so many extenuating circumstances (such as the aforementioned manufacturing constraints) thrown into the mix and for the PS5 to still at least keep pace with, if not outright out do, the PS4 (one of the fastest selling consoles of all time) speaks volumes to just how strong the initial demand is. Such strong demand, obviously, in turn indicates stronger long term performance as well.
  • Potentially longer generation?: Another potentially positive factor to consider is that this generation of consoles may end up being longer than the now-seven-year norm. Remember, the last time a generation was extended was because Microsoft and Sony needed more time to recoup enough money on their initial investment to have made said initial investment worth it to begin with. Now, the PS3 and Xbox 360 were both major and massive loss leaders, which is not true for any of the PS5 or Xbox Series SKUs to the same degree - while I am sure some of them are sold at at least some loss, it is presumably nowhere near the insane bleeding that the PS3 and Xbox 360 induced. However, even in the absence of self inflicted upfront losses, the manufacturing issues, supply chain disruptions, and ensuing disruption to achieving economies of scale and critical mass install base, among other things, may cause this generation to last longer than the last two; in which case the PS5 gets more time on the market to sell.
  • High price: The PS5 has launched at a higher price than any mass market console before; $499 is not a price point that has been associated with a particularly successful console in the past. Now, of course, once more, we need to learn to not live in the hypotheticals too much - while one may or may not make arguments from both sides of the argument as to whether or not the market at the moment is more accepting of higher prices, we have real world performance, numbers, and data to look at - and they tell us that the PS5 price, for either SKU, has not been an issue at all. The market finds that to be a justified price for the system; moreover, it does leave some potential for price cuts for the system in the future once it does achieve economies of scale, presumably coinciding with a "Slim" revision.
  • Stronger competition: The PlayStation console line's strongest successes have come when the competition fumbled and dropped the ball completely; the PS2 went up against the diminutive Gamecube and Xbox, and the PS4 went up against the Xbox One and Wii U (arguably among the worst self inflicted wounds by a platform holder in modern console history). While every PlayStation console ever has done exceptionally well in the long run, the best results come when the competition completely drops the ball. The PS5 however does not face off against a competition that has dropped the ball; Nintendo is arguably the strongest it has been since the entry of Sony into the market with the current state of the Switch, and Xbox has mounted a marvelous turnaround for the brand and its momentum over the last few years, with Xbox Series a far more attractive proposition for the market than the Xbox One ever was. How does this stronger competition factor into the PS5's long term prospects, if at all? That remains to be seen.
  • Japan: Okay, elephant in the room - Japan. Even though PlayStation performance in Japan has declined and contracted catastrophically from the PS1 and PS2 heyday, the country still contributed ~10 million units of sales to PlayStation with the PS3 and PS4. However, the PS5 currently appears to be performing worse across the hardware and software fronts than any recent major console in memory; while one should never underestimate Sony's ability to pull back from troubled launches to at least some extent, whatever they do here, there will be at least some appreciable and noticeable loss against the 10 million baseline they have set for themselves over the last couple of generations. And this, of course, is without even counting the other knock-on second- and third-order effects something like this may have, from any loss of third party support (either in the guise of exclusives no longer remaining exclusives, or games outright skipping the ecosystem), and the impacts that may have on the system's long term appeal (plus even longer term considerations of a brand slowly driving itself to near total irrelevance in a country that till accounts for a larger portion of global console game production than any other market). Of course, none of the games we are discussing the may fall under the purview of this consideration really command a large enough audience by themselves; the question is if, collectively, they could conceivably cause further hits to the PlayStation install base in addition to the hits it will already take from the lost Japanese sales.
So, what do you think? How much can one expect PS5's lifetime sales to be?

It's my thinking that, while PS5 will do well relative to XBS, they're not going to have runaway success compared to how it was with PS4 and XBOne, and if the last 2 generations give an indication, the addressable worldwide market for these high-power high-price consoles seems to be capped at around ~160-170 million. With the global chip shortage likely to stunt the overall volume that will be sold across its lifetime, I'm waffling between under 90million (but not too much under) and just under 100million, but no higher than that.

PS4 ended up basically at 116 million, I expect the PS5 to basically match PS4 in places that aren't Japan so just barely above 100 million.

With a more focused Microsoft and the continued decline of the PlayStation brand in Japan, I think a decline is inevitable. 100 million is the upper echelon in my opinion.

Damn, meant to put 120-140. The 25 exclusive titles should carry it for the expected long generation.

Over 100m imo

Not sure how much over that (kinda impossible to say this early in the generation to be honest). The strong exclusive lineup and extreme popularity in places like Europe should easily carry them to that

Xbox will be MUCH more competitive with them this generation (especially the USA) than last, but I expect a large amount of cross ownership between both platforms this generation so I don't think that will really impact PS5 overall install base

PS5 is going to get hit the hardest by the chip shortages, Sony has lost Japan entirely, MS and Nintendo have come into their own, and yet demand is incredibly strong. Sony's IP are strengthening and the market is expanding overall.

90-105 million.

Depends when Bethesda heavy hitters hit and PS5's life cycle. If its the usual console lifecycle then i'd bet on less then 50M even, since we're already two years in. but its unlikely.
Also depends how Microsoft handles the rest of the gen. They have the best chance to dominate the gen (Against Sony) if they play it right.

The PS5 will be a Nintendo Wii. Incredibly strong year 1,2,3 (better than ps4 initially) and then begin to decrease towards the end a lot. 100-105 Million LTD.

I expect a bit of a decline from the PS4, not sure how much though. Maybe 100/105m

I've gone for 100-110M. Xbox will grow a lot, with some of that being taken from PS but most of it being new or cross owners with the cheap series S. So only a small decline for PS5 from PS4.

I think I'd be more surprised if it surpassed 110M than if it fell short of 100M. I could totally see 90-100M happening.

The Playstation brand seems pretty solid even when they messed up with the PS3. I reckon it will match the PS4 minus Japan, so around 100 million.

I see it performing as well as the PS4. The competition is on point but demand is high for the PS5 right now and it’s breaking records the PS4 set without good competition.

Now the challenge is how will Xbox and their studio acquisitions affect hardware purchases. Xbox would a need a couple of critically acclaimed games to significantly sway audiences to pick up Xbox first instead of a PS5. But Sony is not exactly resting on their laurels as well they have made some good acquisitions that will help set them up for this gen.

They are both expanding into the PC space cause they have realized that it’s a market that can help generate revenue without significantly affecting the console sales. Just seems like total number of hardware may not really matter this gen.
Well Nintendo may continue to dominate with the Switch. Just feel they need to get so many things right with their next hardware to remain strong. I am worried with their track record of fumbling the launch of the next system after a successful one is going to crop again

I think Xbox Series will steal market share from Sony due to Gamepass becoming increasily better with robust first party launches, plus Series S been an affordable option.

Still PS5 will have solid sales because it's a strong brand, will have great games and has more wordwide appeal. I'm betting 90m-100m

Too early to say honestly. Ballpark now I'd say anywhere from 90-130m but that's a wide birth. We'll know better when supply's normalized and the scalper market moves on.

Voted sub-90 mio, but not because of a lack of appeal, but because of geopolitical unrest. Yes, the situation in Ukraine and Honkong as well as Taiwan worries me greatly. Video games won't be so important anymore in the near future.

125m. Despite the decline in Japan i think it will have longer on the market before Sony "kills" it and solely focuses on PS6. I think Covid and Chip shortages combined to prematurely kill PS4.

below 90 million, so around what the ps 3 did. Reason are as follows:
1. low sales in Japan
2. A better Xbox competition compare to last gen
3. Nintendo switch. Most casuals will have a nintendo switch at home and may not care for another console

I think it will sell in the 90-100 million range. Reasons for the slightly decline are: Strong Xbox performance WW, Supply chain woes, decline in Japan, increased PC attractiveness as Sony continues to release their exclusives on Steam and, finally, strong competition from Nintendo with the next Switch.
On the last point(strong Switch), I will add that I agree with Yasuda(???)/Analyst who said DLSS Switch could threaten PS5. As the fidelity that Nintendo is able to achieve increases and more 3rd-parties start to release their fidelity-chasing games on the hardware, there's less reason for someone to buy Nintendo and Sony consoles. IMO the scenario for this generation is much more competitive than last-gen.

Going with PS3 numbers so 80 to 90. Availability is a issue, XboxOneS with Gamepass is a issue, Porting Exclusive games to PC is a issue, Lack of real Japanese support is a issue, and Finally the Nintendo Switch/Next System will be a major one! They will still out sell Xbox by several millions. Still gamers, and media are pushing for a Xbox win just like with the 360.

Too early to say, but i am going with around 120M LTD. It should also be, by far, the most profitable PS console ever.

I know there was a dude from IGN that on his personal Twitter was saying that ever since he got Gamepass he played Xbox every night and didn’t touch his PS5. One of the Sony fanboy got his gamertag and noticed he didn't touch his Xbox for weeks. There was a huge fight with PS fans fighting with IGN about this. Dunno if the dude got fired or not.

I think it takes a truly disruptive product to reach the upper tier of console success seen thus far (150 million +). The PS2 was both a massively dominant console and a pioneer for DVDs. The DS was one of the first devices to realize the potential of touch screens. The Switch has the potential to reach these upper echelons as well, thanks to its hybrid nature and strong first party output.

The PS5 doesn’t seem to have that disruptive feature these other systems had, so I think the PS4 is a good gauge for its lifetime potential.

110-115 million. Similar or a bit below PS4, but still well above 100 million units.

Last edited:
I truly have no idea how could anyone seriously think it's going to do sub 90M. This is like a joke prediction.

The safe bet is it doing about as much as PS4, so circa 115M. I think it has the potential to do better but I voted 100-120m to be safe.

It will inevitably be a drop off from PS4; it's already tracking behind PS4 across all markets, the component shortage is going to be continuing to limit supply for at least another year (perhaps even longer), and the general traditional console market as a whole is only continuing to shrink. Oh, and on top of that, both Microsoft and Nintendo are actually putting up competent competition this time around (unlike with PS4, which went basically completely uncontested for the first half of its life); not to mention Sony's newfound presence in the PC space, which will inevitably cannibilise PS5 to some extent.

100 million is the ceiling, very possible that it might not even hit 90 million by the end of its life if Switch 2 ends up getting proper western 3rd party support from day 1 & steals PS5's defacto exclusives, and if Xbox & PC continue making inroads. PS5's complete collapse in Japan will not help with holding onto those Japanese developers either.

Last edited:
It will inevitably be a drop off from PS4; it's already tracking behind PS4 across all markets, the component shortage is going to be continuing to limit supply for at least another year (perhaps even longer), and the general traditional console market as a whole is only continuing to shrink. Oh, and on top of that, both Microsoft and Nintendo are actually putting up competent competition this time around (unlike with PS4, which went basically completely uncontested for the first half of its life); not to mention Sony's newfound presence in the PC space, which will inevitably cannibilise PS5 to some extent.

100 million is the ceiling, very possible that it might not even hit 90 million by the end of its life if Switch 2 ends up getting proper western 3rd party support from day 1 & steals PS5's defacto exclusives, and if Xbox & PC continue making inroads. PS5's complete collapse in Japan will not help with holding onto those Japanese developers either.
Also the new pricing model for the ps5 games and such in europe are insane. This will definitely put a lot of people off or at minimum make attachment rates much worse. I can see xbox making a major victory this gen if they market the gamepass more and add to it.

110-120 million.

Even if Japan declines by 50%, that’s only 5 million less than the current generation. I see no reason why Sony can’t match PS4 performance everywhere else, especially with a Pro-type revision down the road.

It's not Sony's fault but the other day at work I was sitting beside 2 20-something guys. We weren't saying anything. I was on my phone and they were just pitifully hanging their heads in exhaustion when one of them randomly said "Man fuck the PS5...". "Yeah fuck that shit." the other replied.

I LOL'd because I thought their anguish was caused by something work-related but instead it was their inability to get a PS5 over Christmas that apparently ruined their moods after I asked them about this random outcry. Sclaping came up of course and one mentioned wanting to switch to PC because their prices are now comparable because of it.

I think it's rather impossible to predict console sales so early to the lifespan. All we know from initial demand that it's appealing product to the market and will sell well.

I think it will sell around the same as the PS4, so close to 110 million. It has things going in favor of it and things against it:

In favor of PS5:
1. Gaming is growing as a medium. More people are playing video games and PlayStation is the de facto way to buy the system with the most games on it. Xbox and Nintendo have historically missed out on several games, either due to low sales (ex. GameCube, Xbox, Wii U), power concerns (ex. Wii, Switch), or terrible Japanese marketshare (ex. Xbox 360, Xbox One). Video games are already more popular than movies and music and this trend is continuing.

2. Sony has grown is 1st party IP to the point that they are major system sellers similar to Nintendo. God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Horizon, Gran Turismo are all reasons to buy the console. When I first started watching sales numbers in 2006, the joke was that Sony's first party was incredibly weak and could not save them in bad times. They also had the problem of their big first party games not moving on to the next generation. Sony cared so little about first party that it let Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, two gaming icons they built up on PS1, go multiplat unceremoniously the next generation. Jack & Daxter and Sly Cooper were allowed to be forgotten. Today, that is absolutely not the case, and their franchises are big and cross-generational.

Against PS5:
1. Microsoft is stronger this generation without an Xbox One style screw up. Microsoft is building up its own first party by buying studios that could have made PS5 games, like Bethesda. Combine that with a cheaper option for the casuals, Xbox Series S, and a good value proposition with Game Pass, and Xbox will definitely be taking a few people away from the PlayStation ecosystem. Xbox will be getting most third party games PlayStation has, so the value proposition is very strong with Microsoft.

2. Nintendo is also much stronger compared to when they were shackled to the Wii U. Switch is utterly dominating Japan and will take Japanese development resources away from the PlayStation ecosystem. The Switch's flaw that it is too weak, preventing multiplat games, could get rectified with a DLSS 4K successor in the middle of the PS5's lifecycle. This would be the death nell of PlayStation in Japan, as PlayStation's one big advantage is now gone. The low sales in Japan will result in less of a differenciator with Xbox, which also has low sales in Japan and less Japanese support.

3. The chip shortage is dampering sales at the time when sales should be at their strongest. Xbox and Nintendo are capitalizing on this with their cheaper hardware now (Xbox Series S and Switch 1), so other ecosystems are benefiting and not Sony.

At or around the PS4 makes sense, maybe just a little lower. So...110mil-ish?

Below 100m unless they're gonna stick with it for more than 10 years. With Japan sales making less than 2% of the projection, I doubt that the LTD reach that lenght if we use the same life cycle of the PS4.

Around 100 mil.

100M-110M. I think it'll do less than PS4 in the US and Japan, with potential growth stabilizing sales due to China, along with steady sales in EMEA.

I voted 100-110 mostly off the back off slightly reduced sales in the US and Japan. I definitely think there is a decent possibility it outsells the PS4 (which had its life cut short IMO) but it’s hard to predict this far out.

Kinda surprised so many are suggesting sub 100 million or even sub 90 million. That would be a huge drop from the PS4 despite so far seemingly having bigger demand worldwide.

Back
Top Bottom