• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

What’s Next for Nintendo Third-Party Support?

I'm expecting Warner and Take 2 to be the best Western publishers for Switch 2, maybe Ubisoft if they can get themselves out of their mess.

Before Switch release, after it was unveiled that it would use a TX1, everyone mostly agreed on the idea that, if it was sucessful, it would be widely supported by japanese devs while western developers would mostly ignore it. Fast foward to 2023, western devs do a bigger effort of trying to include Switch in their AA/ AAA pipeline or try to port PS3/X360 games than japanese ones.
There are more factors than just performance for such decisions (Such as ROI, budget, staff, etc), but when you see things like MK I being on PS5/XS/SWI (With cross-play even), Doom Eternal, Witcher 3 or Crysis Remastered using SVOGI on Switch, while on Japan side it's "Too weak", "We looked into it but couldn't run", "Our engine can't handle the resolution change from handheld to Docked", "Too little memory" or even things like "We developed this game with sights on WW and being another pillar for our company hint hint", it's difficult to not find such situation quite amusing. It's basically the chad dog x weak dog meme hahaha

Edit: Please don't take this as an attack at the industry or developers. As I said, there's much more factors into such decisions than performance. It's just that the juxtaposition of 2017 pre-launch expections to 2023 reality is very amusing to me.

It's only really a subset of Japanese developers that still do not support the Switch. It was a bit slower than the West but, nearly all Japanese publishers support the Switch and most of them that do not are particular teams within major publishers.
Like looking at Western support, the Switch is still missing major titles such as EA's output aside from the few EA Originals, a few remasters and FIFA, Take2 still isn't giving most of their library outside of the 2K games, Activision hasn't ported COD, Ubisoft has yet to port any Tom Clancy or Far Cry game and WB hasn't released any the Batman or Middle Earth games. Most aren't even porting much of their legacy games. Most of the Japanese support is better than that with only a few marquee examples like the Like A Dragon series and Tekken. I think a fair bit of support is missing because the publishers were expecting a Switch successor by now.

Confirmation of the rumor

Relevant pieces of information:

Really impressive to have a day and date AAA feature complete 2023 game on Switch with rollback network.

The seeds planted with MK11 now have deeper roots it seems.

Did you play MK11 on the Switch? If so, was it in the same player pool with everybody with online play?

Before Switch release, after it was unveiled that it would use a TX1, everyone mostly agreed on the idea that, if it was sucessful, it would be widely supported by japanese devs while western developers would mostly ignore it. Fast foward to 2023, western devs do a bigger effort of trying to include Switch in their AA/ AAA pipeline or try to port PS3/X360 games than japanese ones.
There are more factors than just performance for such decisions (Such as ROI, budget, staff, etc), but when you see things like MK I being on PS5/XS/SWI (With cross-play even), Doom Eternal, Witcher 3 or Crysis Remastered using SVOGI on Switch, while on Japan side it's "Too weak", "We looked into it but couldn't run", "Our engine can't handle the resolution change from handheld to Docked", "Too little memory" or even things like "We developed this game with sights on WW and being another pillar for our company hint hint", it's difficult to not find such situation quite amusing. It's basically the chad dog x weak dog meme hahaha

Edit: Please don't take this as an attack at the industry or developers. As I said, there's much more factors into such decisions than performance. It's just that the juxtaposition of 2017 pre-launch expections to 2023 reality is very amusing to me.
I'd say that the expectaions from Switch's release have mostly played out. There's some surprising games from Western publishers coming to Switch like you mentioned, but overall the support from the Japanese industry as a whole is better than the Western one.

I'd say that the expectaions from Switch's release have mostly played out. There's some surprising games from Western publishers coming to Switch like you mentioned, but overall the support from the Japanese industry as a whole is better than the Western one.
Mostly, yeah. Switch is fully supported at the low-mid end tier of games. It's just that I think the big budget Japanese projects could have targeted the Switch, which mostly didn't happened. The support for AAA western was completely unexpected back in 2017.
When you see MK I, a PS5 /XSX coming to Switch with rollback enabled, and compare with, let's say, Street Fighter VI, a cross-gen game, that optics aren't good. Switch is a 125M+, very engaged userbase and unlike past Nintendo platforms, it's not as first-party centric. I feel like more could have come from AA/AAA JP pubs.

Mostly, yeah. Switch is fully supported at the low-mid end tier of games. It's just that I think the big budget Japanese projects could have targeted the Switch, which mostly didn't happened. The support for AAA western was completely unexpected back in 2017.
When you see MK I, a PS5 /XSX coming to Switch with rollback enabled, and compare with, let's say, Street Fighter VI, a cross-gen game, that optics aren't good. Switch is a 125M+, very engaged userbase and unlike past Nintendo platforms, it's not as first-party centric. I feel like more could have come from AA/AAA JP pubs.
With Capcom, it seems they are not as willing to outsource Switch ports as western developers are. We have seen this with Monster Hunter World where there were porting houses asking Capcom for the opportunity to port the game. I think Capcom likes to do things in house so for them the option was either a Switch or Switch 2 port of SF 6 and they may have elected for Switch 2 and hope for a SF IV 3DS type of success at launch.

With Capcom, it seems they are not as willing to outsource Switch ports as western developers are. We have seen this with Monster Hunter World where there were porting houses asking Capcom for the opportunity to port the game. I think Capcom likes to do things in house so for them the option was either a Switch or Switch 2 port of SF 6 and they may have elected for Switch 2 and hope for a SF IV 3DS type of success at launch.
I do remember that. DuskGolem, as unreliable as he is, also talked about Capcom doing an internal port of RE7 and the resolution change between handheld and docked being the impediment to the port. Which does make sense (RE Engine didn't supported variable resolution back then), but also puzzling, as it would be a matter of implementing it or backporting from a newer build. Compare this to something like Alien Isolation, where Feral Interactive went back and implemented TAA instead of the ill fitted SMAA. IMHO (And that's what spurred the earlier post I did), is that it seems JP AAAndevelopers weren't as keen as to try to fit Switch into their pipeline, which was a missed opportunity. There were tons of games suitable for Switch that missed the boat entirely. But budget and the fact Switch is an entire different build due to being a very different device compared to PS/XB are the reasons to blame I guess.

This may be an Apples to Big-Ass Orchard full of Fruit comparison, but I wonder if Take-Two or Rockstar had any serious considerations for porting GTAV or Online to Switch, the eternally selling evergreen title it is.

Since it was a Late PS3/XBOX360 title, I wonder if the RAGE engine they used was feasible for Switch since Rockstar Table Tennis on the Wii also used RAGE.

This may be an Apples to Big-Ass Orchard full of Fruit comparison, but I wonder if Take-Two or Rockstar had any serious considerations for porting GTAV or Online to Switch, the eternally selling evergreen title it is.

Since it was a Late PS3/XBOX360 title, I wonder if the RAGE engine they used was feasible for Switch since Rockstar Table Tennis on the Wii also used RAGE.
Pretty sure they did even without the rumour mill swirling about them. Though without GTAO then a standalone GTAV is not worth it for T2; even though that standalone game would still do well.

the rumor mills pegged Red Dead 3 for Switch, but that was nowhere to be seen. they might have mused it, but decided against.

I can see Nintendo pushing for GTA6 on Drake, however, to avoid this situation again. GTA3 Collection did well on Switch

Given how Hogwarts runs on Steam Deck, I wouldn't count on the Switch version looking decent or running acceptably. It's very CPU-heavy. It's unfortunate, because a ton of kids are probably only going to play the Switch version—and kids absolutely can tell when something doesn't run well.

As i said in the past. I always believe that Western Devs is going to be the one who support Nintendo Switch and its successor more over Japanese counterpart. Western Devs seems more savvy on maximizing earnings and having Switch version is one easy way for them to make more money.

Mortal Kombat 1 (A.K.A 12) is coming to the Nintendo Switch

The F.A.Q states that it's being developed by Shiver Entertainment and Saber Interactive. It's also confirmed to have cross-play, cross-progression and rollback.

EDIT: Sniped.

Damn. Rollback as well. This shows when there is a will.(And money lol) Anything can be ported to Switch.

Given how Hogwarts runs on Steam Deck, I wouldn't count on the Switch version looking decent or running acceptably. It's very CPU-heavy. It's unfortunate, because a ton of kids are probably only going to play the Switch version—and kids absolutely can tell when something doesn't run well.

gonna take some smart cuts to get it to run well. probably a severe reduction in entities to reduce strain on the cpu.

unfortunately, there really wasn't an alternative back then other than do what AMD did with Jaguar (fuse two clusters together into one)

Nixxes should port TLOU PS3 to Switch. True breakout cross-media IP deserve the widest birth and this is now Sony's biggest. :)

Nixxes should port TLOU PS3 to Switch. True breakout cross-media IP deserve the widest birth and this is now Sony's biggest. :)

By that logic, Pokemon should have stopped being limited to Nintendo consoles years ago. :p

By that logic, Pokemon should have stopped being limited to Nintendo consoles years ago. :p
And Mario now too, lol.

Although Nintendo and Sony/MS have different positions on ports to non-competitive platforms.

Last edited:
And Mario now too, lol.

Although Nintendo and Sony/MS have different positions on ports to non-competitive platforms.
Nintendo uses first-party to drive sales and the 'vault" philosophy touches Nintendo's mind to valorize its IP. Sony uses a large library and third-party contracts ( with exclusivity and enforcers exclusivity content) to drive their video games.

"Aparentemente a "Legacy Edition" ficou com Deus na edição de 2024 do futebol da EA SPORTS

De acordo com listagem em Taiwan, EA SPORTS FC 24 no Nintendo Switch também contará com edição Deluxe em adição a padrão

< dica do colega 'Edu2407dito' >"

Google translate says
"Apparently the "Legacy Edition" stayed with God in the 2024 edition of EA SPORTS Football.

According to listing in Taiwan, EA SPORTS FC 24 on Nintendo Switch will also feature Deluxe Edition in addition to standard."

Thought this was interesting and fitting for this thread. 3rd party support may very well be improving also considering what also just happened between Microsoft and the FTC.

Side note: The tweet won't allow me to copy and post the translated version.

Last edited:
Well, it was basically impossible for it to be called "legacy edition"
True, this makes me think this version might still not have all the content the other platforms get even with that deluxe edition.

Some of you guys are so overly pessimistic about Nintendo it's hilarious. I remember after the direct when the Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol 1 was announced for Switch, some of you jumped to the conclusion that it wouldn't get Vol 2. We have already seen rumors saying Vol 2 is coming to Switch via a source code leak. Fifa continued to sell more and more on Switch, releasing half assed versions on Switch only limits your games potential. It it not surprising at all to see EA increase the budget in hopes of increasing sales.

They already ported the engine
I know that, but I still don't expect it. they had Frostbite on low end arm devices for years. since PvZ they could have gotten FIFA running but haven't. I've maintained that I expected Frostbite to make the jump to next gen because they can just reuse a PS4 Fifa with a roster update and name change. I still believe that until they prove otherwise

To give a bit more credibility to NecroLipe's reporting, here's the second page of the search results for the latest rated titles for both Switch and PS5, which features SKUs for EA Sports FC 24

image.png

image.png

There don't seem to be differences between the versions rated across the two platforms.

If you want to see with your own eyes, click here and search by platform.

I still believe we will see COD in some form at the Switch succ. presentation
We definitely will. Activision was clearly gearing up to give it a shot regardless of the acquisition imo.

I think the surprise next year will be a Switch "version" alongside it now.

COD mobile on Switch, actual COD on Switch 2
Actual COD on Switch. Microsoft has said that they will get the current games up and running for Switch. Remember that anything that's on a PS4 can also run on Switch with proper resources to the porting team.

that didn't help it get CoD prior. with a new, more capable system, and Kotick saying they won't make the same mistake, they can hit the ground running for a fresh start
Kotick won't be calling those shots soon. A binding decade long contract and assurances to regulators and courts will.

Some of you guys are so overly pessimistic about Nintendo it's hilarious. I remember after the direct when the Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol 1 was announced for Switch, some of you jumped to the conclusion that it wouldn't get Vol 2. We have already seen rumors saying Vol 2 is coming to Switch via a source code leak. Fifa continued to sell more and more on Switch, releasing half assed versions on Switch only limits your games potential. It it not surprising at all to see EA increase the budget in hopes of increasing sales.
They increased the budget? Where does it say that?

They increased the budget? Where does it say that?
The Switch seems to be getting the real release instead of the lazy "Legacy edition", that would be an increased budget for the Switch version right? There is even another rumor pointing to the Switch version getting exclusive modes.

The Switch seems to be getting the real release instead of the lazy "Legacy edition", that would be an increased budget for the Switch version right? There is even another rumor pointing to the Switch version getting exclusive modes.
I mean Fifa 18 and 19 on Switch didn't differ in their names from the other versions but they nonetheless had less content.
I really hope these rumours are true and the Switch is finally getting a proper football game.

Now what about the NFL games?

Last edited:
I think it depends on perspective. Compared to PS/Xbox, I agree third party support leaves a lot to be desired (less so than years ago but still) but this is probably the Nintendo system with the biggest 3rd party support since the SNES era.

People are just pessimistic because lack of third party support has been the norm for Nintendo systems, and it, objectively speaking, remains to be seen if the Switch is part of a larger trend towards more acceptance of Nintendo consoles by third parties, or if it's just an outlier.

I'm cautiously optimistic though, because the lessened generational leaps with diminishing returns in the graphics department is good news for Nintendo overall, even if the top of the notch games end up skipping it.

Could you provide a source for this specific rumour?

Well, we are 6 months to 1 year of potentially 1st Switch NG presentation. I think we should hearing some concrete rumors soon of X game from Y publisher will come soon.

Back
Top Bottom