• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Washington Post: Final Fantasy 7 Remake-Trilogy will remain console-exclusive with Sony PlayStation consoles[UP: Only first two confirmed for now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You keep dismissing the Switch 2 like it's a known quantity. But even if we assume it's "only" as powerful as a PS4, how could anyone argue that a bog standard JRPG that often looks no different than FF15 couldn't be ported to such hardware? PS4-games could be ported to Switch 1, it's reasonable to assume that PS5-games can be ported to Switch 2. More easily, probably, thanks to DLSS and generally more streamlined technological progress. "Dumpster fire" is such a crass word of choice for what should be a perfectly fine port. Why even say "Switch 2 will be VERY limited in power compared to current gen consoles", when the gap between Switch 2 and PS5 will by all rumors and leaks be less than the gap between Switch 1 and PS4?

Really weird claims.

I don't know if that's hyperbole or just an uninformed take... But XV had an almost flat open world with VERY limited geometry. Any person with two working eyes can see how much more demanding Rebirth's areas are, due to the more complex geometry, texture/materials variety, faster action taking place, etc.

And I'm not even saying a Switch 2 port would be impossible, as graphics are the most feasible aspect of a game to scale. But if it's close in power to a PS4 it would not be a simple port, especially if it uses flash memory of a similar speed to the OG Switch's.

Acknowledging doesn't make it make sense, its Sony's point of view not SE's.
SE's point of view is likely, we spend less money on dev, put games out faster and Sony helps us in marketing and platform cut for a platform where most our fans are on.

Its purely done by contracts not goodwill. If the two parties agree to the contract then its done.
It doesn't make sense to you because you are missing my point. Of course it's not done of goodwill, but it's also not done purely because of funding or development benefits like you think it is. I already explained it to you that it's related to how third-parties behave and how they might share Sony's point of view based on their decisions. Main point is the word SHARE. You repeating that it's Sony's point of view doesn't contradict the idea that third-parties could share their view. So it does make sense, it's just that you don't agree with the conclusion.

The benefits you mentioned are also applicable for exclusives on other platforms. So why is it that third-party devs are more inclined to keep remakes of PlayStation classics as PlayStation exclusives, but are less likely to do the same for remakes of other platform exclusives? It's a mixture of contractual benefits and personal desires to keep a game tied to the platform they see as its "rightful home." The only thing we can do is agree to disagree if you don't accept platform bias as part of their reasoning for these deals.

Pretty big fuck up, specially since that's the major hook of the article.

At this point I wouldn't even bet on Remake and Rebirth being fully console exclusive either. It can and probably will be ported to Switch 2 if technically feasible. Xbox most likely not, unless Microsoft offers big bucks for a gamepass release, as there would be no point otherwise.

The article says Remake and Rebirth are PS console exclusive though. With the reception to Rebirth, I have no doubt Sony will be even more aggressive to lock it up as well as the final installment.

Resident Evil 4 was originally part of the Capcom Five initiative for the Gamecube, but none of the Capcom devs went "RE4 Remake should be Switch console exclusive because the original was a defining game for the Nintendo experience." I know that's Svensson's words and not SE, but I feel like the point still stands.

That's a very poor comparison, RE4 was pretty much associated with PS2 as soon as that port came out.

I don't know if that's hyperbole or just an uninformed take... But XV had an almost flat open world with VERY limited geometry. Any person with two working eyes can see how much more demanding Rebirth's areas are, due to the more complex geometry, texture/materials variety, faster action taking place, etc.

And I'm not even saying a Switch 2 port would be impossible, as graphics are the most feasible aspect of a game to scale. But if it's close in power to a PS4 it would not be a simple port, especially if it uses flash memory of a similar speed to the OG Switch's.
Ok, I'll mention it just once, because I didn't want to start anything, but since you keep repeating "complex geometry etc": The Xenoblade-franchise exists. "Complex geometry" is its bread and butter (any further Xenoblade-talk pls message me via pm, I won't reply to any of it in this thread which is about SE and FF7R).

Really, I find it bizarre to claim that a Switch 2-port of FFR2 would be that difficult. It probably would be neither easy nor difficult, it would just require a perfectly reasonable amount of work, like any port.

It doesn't make sense to you because you are missing my point. Of course it's not done of goodwill, but it's also not done purely because of funding or development benefits like you think it is. I already explained it to you that it's related to how third-parties behave and how they might share Sony's point of view based on their decisions. Main point is the word SHARE. You repeating that it's Sony's point of view doesn't contradict the idea that third-parties could share their view. So it does make sense, it's just that you don't agree with the conclusion.

You are attributing feelings of SE with no evidence is the problem. Do you have any quotes from SE recently to show this?

The benefits you mentioned are also applicable for exclusives on other platforms. So why is it that third-party devs are more inclined to keep remakes of PlayStation classics as PlayStation exclusives, but are less likely to do the same for remakes of other platform exclusives? It's a mixture of contractual benefits and personal desires to keep a game tied to the platform they see as its "rightful home." The only thing we can do is agree to disagree if you don't accept platform bias as part of their reasoning for these deals.

The benefits really kick in when the platform has a big installbase and when the majority of sales come from that platform. That rules Xbox out.

A lot of the big AAA JP IPs do not have their current majority userbase on their (for obvious reasons) and Nintendo is around a generation behind in compute power, meaning its not going to fit well for most of these JP pubs. We have seen Nintendo exclusives on the lower end like Rain Code, or LaL/Octopath/Harvestella etc. Oh MHR was a huge one as well.

The article says Remake and Rebirth are PS console exclusive though. With the reception to Rebirth, I have no doubt Sony will be even more aggressive to lock it up as well as the final installment.
While I’m pretty sure those two aren’t going to be showing up on Xbox or Switch 2, the problem is it’s now clear and admitted as such, that those portions were Gene’s words.

So, what's the truth?

Removed the Final Fantasy VII Remake trilogy = PlayStation console-exclusive article as The Washington Post issued a correction—SIE never actually said the trilogy was console-exclusive. Apologies!

Depend on what Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are ready spend.

Nintendo is very unlikely to spend as much as Sony to secure exclusives given that theirs platforms are 1rst party driven.

Xbox have a small install base and focus on GP currently making hard for them to get exclusive.

And every Final Fantasy 7 remake will sell less then the first episode.
And Final Fantasy with’s this distribution policy will more and more chain itself to the PS and will Limit it´ s appeal.

Because every game should release on every platform it can run on and makes the slightest economical sense. When a game doesn't release on all platforms, it better be well explained. And in the case of Bandai Namco/Harada, Atlus and now Square Enix, that is not the case. Here we have to assume that irrational reasoning is at work (myopic market view, old grudges, other bias) and that causing millions of people to lose the opportunity to play a game, is incredibly frustrating. Add the fact that I am interested in observing the sales evolution of this industry and it just ruins so much.

That's why companies who make such decision make this hobby less fun for me. At no point did I force you to agree with me.

Should the FF7 games be ported to Xbox as well then based on your reasoning? How big will the Switch 2 userbase be in 2025 and is it worth it to delay a game like FF17 just to port FF7R over?

I'm not talking about millions of other people, I'm asking why this affects YOU at all.

It’s what Gematsu is saying. Gene was basically just writing what we know: you can only play Remake and Rebirth on PlayStation console wise right now. That was his writing, not some statement from SIE and/or Square on whether these games ever come else where.

So... this thread doesn't make sense then? (if there's nothing new about exclusivity in the interview; I mean, we know that Remake and Rebirth are PlayStation console exclusives right now).

Depending of how much Sony is paying can be a good deal for S-E.

On the Sony side I struggle to see why they spent money with full console exclusivity.

Well yeah, !ny deal can be good for a party depending on the terms. But looking at the current state of FF (serious decline), I don't think pushing exclusivity is the right move as opposed to reaching as many platforms as possible (and doing simultaneous releases).

On Sony's side to me it is obvious that exclusive content makes people more interested in your platform. So if the costs aren't insane they will naturally try to secure it.

So... this thread doesn't make sense then? (if there's nothing new about exclusivity in the interview; I mean, we know that Remake and Rebirth are PlayStation console exclusives right now).
Considering how many people here still think it might be true, it's still worth discussing. So the question really is: Will SE ignore the, assumedly and likely, huge Switch 2-userbase or not?

Sometimes I just have to wonder about SE
Should the FF7 games be ported to Xbox as well then based on your reasoning? How big will the Switch 2 userbase be in 2025 and is it worth it to delay a game like FF17 just to port FF7R over?

I'm not talking about millions of other people, I'm asking why this affects YOU at all.
Unless SE pulls an Atlus, Ace Combat, or Activision with regards to being non-proactive in seeing if a port is viable; there should be little reason to delay FF17, unless for some reason that team specifically has to do the port. SE can find a suitable partner to port the game over.

Sometimes I just have to wonder about SE

Unless SE pulls an Atlus, Ace Combat, or Activision with regards to being non-proactive in seeing if a port is viable; there should be little reason to delay FF17, unless for some reason that team specifically has to do the port. SE can find a suitable partner to port the game over.
The case with Atlus is absolutely incredible at this point - they way they are trying to grow their IP is impressive. Frequent releases, remakes, remasters available across various platforms and even in subscription services.

Since there is nothing actually new regarding the topic at hand, as pointed out, this thread is locked. Talks about SE’s strategy can go in the appropriate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom