• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Pokémon Scarlet and Violet (20.61M), Splatoon 3 (10.13M), Bayonetta 3 (1.04M), and more

mazi

Analyst
(+0%)

updated sales numbers as of December 31, 2022 (+sales in the last quarter):
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 52.00M (+3.59M)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 41.59M (+1.42M)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 30.44M (+910K)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 29.00M (+1.21M)
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield - 25.68M (+310K)
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 25.21M (+810K)
  • Pokémon Scarlet and Violet - 20.61M
  • Super Mario Party - 18.79M (+440K)
  • Ring Fit Adventure - 15.22M (+350K)
  • Pokemon: Let's Go! - 15.07M (+260K)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 14.75M (+1.45M since March 31, 2022)
  • Pokémon Legends: Arceus - 14.63M (+720K)
  • Luigi’s Mansion 3 - 12.44M (+1.01M since March 31, 2022)
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury - 10.82M (+1.39M since March 31, 2022)
  • Splatoon 3 - 10.13M (+2.23M)
  • Mario Party Superstars - 9.38M (+1.31M since September 30, 2022)
  • Nintendo Switch Sports - 8.61M (+2.46M)
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 6.12M (+850K)
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League - 2.47M (+300K)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - 1.81M (+90K)
  • Bayonetta 3 - 1.04M

Last edited:
Bayonetta 3 reached 1 million? Grats, Platinum and I can see why you patch the game months after released. Also, great job Splatoon 3.

I'm extremely happy for both games.

So as Splatoon 3 is at 10.13M sold, that's going to pass Splatoon 2's sales relatively soon then? I believe Splatoon 2 sold 13M correct?

All these are great and all but damn do I wish that Xenoblade Chronicles 3 sold more.

The highlights for me
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 29.00M (+1.21M)
Pokemon: Let's Go! - 15.07M (+260K)
Pokémon Legends: Arceus - 14.63M (+720K)
Splatoon 3 - 10.13M (+2.23M)
Nintendo Switch Sports - 8.61M (+2.46M)
Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 6.12M (+850K)
Luigi’s Mansion 3 - 12.44M (+1.01M since March 31, 2022)
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury - 10.82M (+1.39M since March 31, 2022)

Slowing
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - 1.81M (+90K)
Ring Fit Adventure - 15.22M (+350K)

Game is not dead
Mario Strikers: Battle League - 2.47M (+300K)

Game is dead
BDSP

Last edited:
f3xa8Mi.png

Note: Mario RPGs and Pokémon aren't included for obvious reasons. Golden Sun is included because it is a Nintendo-owned franchise, and data was available and makes for an interesting point of comparison with more recent first-party RPGs.

Note 2: Sell-through for Xenoblade 3 is 1.5 million units as per slide 12 of their
presentation.

Last edited:
I’m pretty shocked about Kirby achieving 6m units 😨 the latest entry really was a breakthrough moment for the franchise in Western markets. Not that the franchise sold bad before, of course.

big sales for everything, luigi mansion sales are insane.

The xenoblade thing was super clear, it did not appear in any world top, neither in physical or digital sales, and to think that I received a ban for saying so

6m+ for Kirby is great to see. Loved the game personally and it's cool to see the game really breaking out. We'll definitely be getting more 3D Kirby in the future

So did some research, from the January 2018 IR:

rfm5Ib2.png

In about 5 months, Splatoon 2 sold around 4.5M copies. In 4 months (a month less), Splatoon 3 has sold nearly double that. That is damn impressive considering most Nintendo sequels on the same console sell less, not more. Unless sales drop off a cliff, Splatoon 3 will surpass Splatoon 2's sales.

Wasnt Xenoblade 3 being "global" and whatnot supposed to make it breeze past 2? guess the journalists and historians were wrong.

The crazy thing is that SV beating RGB is now actually in the conversation. Given the legs we've seen on SwSh with the new DLC structure, assuming they stick to it

The crazy thing is that SV beating RGB is now actually in the conversation. Given the legs we've seen on SwSh with the new DLC structure, assuming they stick to it
For the first time in its 25 years life at the top, Gen 1 is sweating bullets.

And Mario Kart 8 is over 60 million!

Not sure why we add up all the platform versions of GTAV and Last of Us etc etc but we don’t do it with Nintendo games…
It should've been included, especially for software sales comparison.

Considering XC3's sell-through is 1.5m, I'm wondering if it got overshipped at launch like XCDE might have.

XC3 Months 3-5: 90k
XCDE Months 5-7: 80k
XC2 Months 5-7: 110k

Xenoblade_Series_Monthly_Sales_Plot.png

Xenoblade_Series_Lifetime_Sales_Plot.png

Last edited:
Zelda is frightening
How were the previous quarters?
Global Sell-Through by Title (April-December)
18.2M(Pokémon Scarlet and Violet) vs 20.61M(6.94M from Japan)
9.4M(Splatoon 3 - 10.13M) vs 10.13M(6.32M from Japan)
7.9M(Nintendo Switch Sports) vs 8.61M(1.59M from Japan)
1.9M(Mario Strikers: Battle League) vs 2.47M(0.17M from Japan)
1.5M(Xenoblade Chronicles 3) vs 1.81M(0.5M from Japan)
6.3M (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe) vs 6.66M(0.95M from Japan)
3.4M (Kirby and the Forgotten Land) vs 3.47M(0.77M from Japan)
2.9M(Animal Crossing: New Horizons) vs 2.95M(0.43M from Japan)
2.5M(Mario Party Superstars) vs 2.5M(0.34M from Japan)
2.4M (Pokémon Legends: Arceus) vs 1.99M(0.16M from Japan)

Last edited:
Wasnt Xenoblade 3 being "global" and whatnot supposed to make it breeze past 2? guess the journalists and historians were wrong.
The thing that people didn't see is that Xenoblade 2 is a huge success with incredible legs. "Breeze past" a huge success was never a done deal, and I don't think the game need to do it to be considered a success on its own.

Also, most of 2's legs happened way later. And 3 is still being worked on with a big story expansion coming.

It seems like the ceiling for what Xenoblade in its current form has been reached with both 2 and 3. Despite 3's acclaim and the Switch's userbase veering closer to more hardcore experiences, its sales trajectory isn't much higher than 2's--when the Switch was still in its infancy and its userbase far smaller. It makes me wonder if they'll leave it the same or try to do something to broaden the appeal of the next entry.

I’m amazed by Scarlet and Violet, maybe once they finish patching it I should buy a copy.

At this point I think the Switch may end its run with the whole top most sold games at over 20 million units each, which is absolutely crazy. Look at their previous consoles data!

Last edited:
Completely blown away by the Pokemon numbers. It's really not surprising why wanted to get it out in time for the holidays technical state aside. Bayo 3 ending up more or less where I thought it would, easily crossing a million and right around Astral Chain. I'm glad we'll get at least one more quarter's worth of sales, but I expect it to (ironically) not show very long legs similar to AC. I guess the difference being with Origins coming in March possibly drumming up some interest.

The thing that people didn't see is that Xenoblade 2 is a huge success with incredible legs. "Breeze past" a huge success was never a done deal, and I don't think the game need to do it to be considered a success on its own.

Also, most of 2's legs happened way later. And 3 is still being worked on with a big story expansion coming.
Xenoblade 2 also benefited from things like XB1DE, Smash representation, and a sequel's existence. With the exception of Xenoblade 4, those are completely off of the table for Xenoblade 3.

474lvzh.png

YearSysGameSales
1996GBRed/Blue/Green31,050,000
1999GBCGold/Silver23,730,000
2002GBARuby/Sapphire16,220,000
2006NDSDiamond/Pearl17,670,000
2010NDSBlack/White15,640,000
20133DSX/Y16,650,000
20163DSSun/Moon16,290,000
2019NSWSword/Shield25,680,000
2021NSWArceus14,630,000
2022NSWScarlet/Violet20,610,000

0YJ6qF8.png

YearSysGameSales
1996N64Super Mario 6411,910,000
2002GCSunshine5,910,000
2007WiiGalaxy12,800,000
2010WiiGalaxy 27,410,000
20113DS3D Land12,860,000
2013Wii U3D World5,880,000
2017NSWOdyssey25,120,000

Pretty safe to assume Legends Arceus should eventually surpass BDSP and Let’s Go, restoring the natural order of the universe.
Incredible SV sales.
Disappointing XC3 sales, I wish the series could sell a lot better but they need to switch some things up for that

While I think is still to early to say anything, I never expected (and still don't) Xenoblade 3 to surpass 2. It's been mentioned before, but 2 has some of the craziest legs any modern JRPG has seen. Surpassing it was always a tall order. Besides that, really happy about Bayonetta 3, Platinum deserved another hit.

big sales for everything, luigi mansion sales are insane.

The xenoblade thing was super clear, it did not appear in any world top, neither in physical or digital sales, and to think that I received a ban for saying so
If you got banned, it probably wasn't for saying Xenoblade has slow sales. It was probably because of your aggressive tone. Keep in mind that with 1.5 million sell-through, it's pretty far ahead of Xenoblade 2 launch aligned. What seems to happen is that Xenoblade 3 was somewhat overestimated (well in Nintendo terms anyway) and that leaves around 300k in retail stock. Since there was so much surplus, no one was ordering more which leads to the only 90k increase. This quarter increase is probably mostly digital. I suspect the game will surpass 2 million sometime next year though, having the legs to surpass the 2.5 million Xenoblade 2 sales is now going to be rough but still doable by 2025

It’s honestly surreal how amazing the performance for Pokémon has been on Switch. If Scarlet and Violet can have good legs and get a dlc announcement. it’s got the best shot at surpassing the original games compared to any of the other entries in the series. A feat I didn’t think was really possible for any Pokémon game in any year.

Bayonetta 3 is wonderful. Coming off 2 where I certainly thought the ip was dead in the water when we heard it did bad on wiiu, to hearing that we shipped + digital 1 million in a couple months many years later with 3 is great news imo. Pretty much ensures that Bayonetta 4 will be a thing.

Gonna wait to judge the XC3 situation till we get word from the big man Tetsuya Takahashi himself. Its not wise to spin this one way or the other yet. You could look at this and spin it and say "2 killed peoples interest in the series" or look at it and say "2 brought more poeople in and they're front loaded." The only fair judge here is the devs themselves. If Takahashi says the game did well, it did well. He said that 2 really exceeded his expectations back in the day so i'd expect him to say something in an interview or something soon. As for my take on it's ability to pass 2, tbh I think it might take a complete edition on the next system that included the dlc and maybe makes it 4k or 60fps of something to leg out 2. Which I could honestly see them doing.

Kirby is a bit nuts, forgotten land really did a heck of a lot to get peoples attention. I suspect that they're already hard at work on the followup to keep that gravy train rolling. Easy clean win all around. Glad that Hal pulled it off and finnaly cleanly defintively cleared the gb game.

The fact that some people though Arecus was going to be a 30 million seller and still hasn't been able to outsell BDSP.
Good news is that S/V will probably be the 30 million seller, 20M in 1 month and a half must be an all time record. With the DLC comming I think it's safe to say they will pass R/B.

Xenoblade 3 isn’t reaching 2m. The game was over shipped.

The game itself is not as good as the previous one, the story being very unremarkable, poorly put together and forgettable. I don’t really expect legs for this game due to these reasons.

I hope there is room for games like XC3 in the future. Convoluted jrpg battle systems don't move units but there's a small dedicated fanbase for that

Yeah, sadly no growth for the XC franchise here. Kind of a shame.

I wonder what Nintendo thinks about this.
Probably what Namco thought of Xenosaga back in the days. But regardless, Nintendo will still go on investing in Monolith though because they act as a catalyst for attracting the J-RPG crowd to the platform.

Quite a few milestones that I can see have now been (finally in some cases) reached:

-MK8D at over 50 million, Mario Kart 8 overall at 60(!) million.
-Super Smash bros Ultimate at 30 million.
- Breath of the Wild at 30 million overall with both versions, the Switch version will surely get there on its own though maybe not before TotK.
-Super Mario Odyssey at 25 million.
-Ring Fit Adventure and Pokemon Let's Go at 15 million

Then there's Scarlet/Violet selling 20 million already and Splatoon 3 selling 10 million of course.

I don't know really if we'll ever see sales like these again over the course of a 6 year period. Some of these on their own are remarkable, absolutely no one single person in the entire world for example would have seriously been expecting a Nintendo Switch exclusive to sell more than Red Dead Redemption 2, or for Zelda of all series to have a 30 million seller back in 2016, but all taken together and it's hard to put into words.

I'm honestly excited to see how well Tears of the Kingdom sells. It'll be an event, the likes of which very few games since the 3rd March 2017 have been.

Pokémon S/V selling over 20M in one quarter is absolutely bonkers - easily the fastest selling Nintendo game of all time!

Smash Ultimate finally hit 30M, which is also a truly remarkable number for a fighting game. Smash Ultimate may end up selling more than all other Smash games put together at this point!

Switch Sports has some REALLY thick legs, will be interesting to track for the long haul.

As a Xenoblade fan, the apparent sales ceiling on the series is a bitter pill to swallow - I really wish more “regular” Nintendo fans would give the series a chance, but I guess it’s just not all that appealing to many. The combat systems certainly don’t do the games any favors in making new folks comfy. Here’s hoping Monolithsoft can find a good balance going forward to grow their RPG audience.

Honestly, given that Monolith Soft already helps with big projects like Zelda and their incredibly efficient development speeds, I think Xenoblade is safe as a franchise as long as Monolith Soft wants to make them.

So as Splatoon 3 is at 10.13M sold, that's going to pass Splatoon 2's sales relatively soon then? I believe Splatoon 2 sold 13M correct?
Splatoon 2 sold 13.3M as of March 31st 2022.

Mario Party Superstars is guaranteed to hit that 10m.
But i wonder if Super Mario Party still have in it to hit that 20m all in all.

Back
Top Bottom