• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Pokémon Legends: Arceus (12.64M), Kirby and the Forgotten Land (2.65M), and more

mazi

Analyst
(+0%)

updated sales numbers as of March 31, 2022 (+sales in the last quarter):

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 45.33M (+1.98M)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 38.64M (+1.02M)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 28.17M (+770K)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 26.55M (+750K)
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield - 24.27M (+370K)
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 23.50M (+480K)
  • Super Mario Party - 17.78M (+390K)
  • Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl - 14.65M (+680K)
  • Pokemon: Let's Go! - 14.53M (+200K)
  • Ring Fit Adventure - 14.09M (+560K)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 13.31M (+590K)
  • Splatoon 2 - 13.30M (+620K since September 2021)
  • Pokémon Legends: Arceus - 12.64M
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 - 11.43M (+390K)
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury - 9.43M (+580K)
  • Mario Party Superstars - 6.88M (+1.45M)
  • Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 4.22M (+1.08M since March 2021)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD - 3.91M (+60K)
  • Metroid Dread - 2.90M (+160K)
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 2.65M
  • New Pokémon Snap - 2.40M (+40K, not including sales in Japan)
  • Mario Golf: Super Rush - 2.35M (+90K)
  • Miitopia - 1.68M (+50K)
  • Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain - 1.59M (+310K)
  • WarioWare: Get It Together! - 1.27M (+30K)
  • Game Builder Garage - 1.06M (+50K)

Last edited:
Looks like the gap between Odyssey and Sword and Shield shrunk by 110k, all these new Pokemon games must have something to do with that.

Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon finally passed 9 million

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl are now the best selling Pokémon remakes

FSYPJuwWYAE66Pz

10m+ quarters of Nintendo titles

Shipments

{01.10.2009 - 31.12.2009} Wii Fit Plus - 10.160.000 (92 days)
{15.11.2009 - 31.12.2009} New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 10.550.000 (47 days)
{12.10.2013 - 31.12.2013} Pokémon X/Y - 11.610.000 (81 days)
{18.11.2016 - 31.12.2016} Pokémon Sun/Moon - 14.690.000 (44 days)
{16.11.2018 - 31.12.2018} Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee! - 10.000.000 (46 days)
{07.12.2018 - 31.12.2018} Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 12.080.000 (25 days)
{15.11.2019 - 31.12.2019} Pokémon Sword/Shield - 16.060.000 (47 days)
{20.03.2020 - 31.03.2020} Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 11.770.000 (12 days)
{01.04.2020 - 30.06.2020} Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 10.630.000 (91 days)
{19.11.2021 - 31.12.2021} Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl - 13.970.000 (43 days)
{28.01.2022 - 31.03.2022} Pokémon Legends: Arceus - 12.640.000 (63 days)

Sell-through

{18.11.2016 - 01.01.2017} Pokémon Sun/Moon - 12.150.000
Total sales in Japan, U.S., Europe, Australia / includes digital sales / Source: Nintendo, Media Create, NPD (7 weeks of sales)

{07.12.2018 - 06.01.2019} Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 10.**0.000
Total sales in Japan, NA, Europe, Australia / includes bundles and digital sales / Source: Nintendo, Media Create, NPD (5 weeks of sales)

{15.11.2019 - 12.01.2020} Pokémon Sword/Shield - 12.280.000
Total sales in Japan, NA, Europe / includes digital sales / Source: Nintendo (9 weeks of sales)

{20.03.2020 - 26.04.2020} Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 13.410.000
Total sales in Japan, U.S., Europe / includes system bundles and digital sales / Source: Nintendo, Media Create (6 weeks of sales)

{19.11.2021 - 31.12.2021} Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl - 11.700.000
Internal estimates of Global Sell-Through, including Asia and Latin America / Source: Nintendo (7 weeks of sales)

{28.01.2022 - 03.04.2022} Pokémon Legends: Arceus - 11.4*0.000
Internal estimates of Global Sell-Through, including Asia and Latin America / Source: Nintendo (10 weeks of sales)

Metroid Dread is now the best-selling Metroid title ever. And New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe surpassed Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D Land. Next quarter it will surpass New Super Mario Bros. 2.

Well deserved for Dread to become the best selling entry in the series, I wished it would top 3M since we're not getting any more updates (until after Prime 4 is released possibly) but still, great achievement for the franchise.

Damn Legend Arceus not even selling what BDSP sold (13M) in less time. Remember when people were saying this would be a 25-30M seller lol.
Kirby doing great in its first 6 days of sales.
Could someone post the growth of sales of each game between this and last quarter? I love to keep track of BOTW consistent growth!
Edit: OP did it already, thank you!
ACNH second best selling game of the period with no more updates, a monster!

Last edited:
Yeah Arceus becoming "the best selling Pokemon game!" seems kinda dud haha, I guess S/V has potential though.

Nice to see updated Splatoon 2 numbers and Kirby has done great so far! Very small growth for New Pokemon Snap, it probably won't reach N64 numbers after all.

Metroid is great too, shame we likely won't get confirmation of 3M for a while even if it'll make it. Clubhouse Games surely is impressive too.

For Kirby, the chase is on if it can surpass Dream Land.

Those Metroid Dread legs though. They got to find a way to make people buy the game more in the long run.

Damn Legend Arceus not even selling what BDSP sold (13M) in less time. Remember when people were saying this would be a 25-30M seller lol.
Kirby doing great in its first 6 days of sales.
Could someone post the growth of sales of each game between this and last quarter? I love to keep track of BOTW consistent growth!

Yeah Arceus becoming "the best selling Pokemon game!" seems kinda dud haha, I guess S/V has potential though.

Nice to see updated Splatoon 2 numbers and Kirby has done great so far! Very small growth for New Pokemon Snap, it probably won't reach N64 numbers after all.

Decent start for Arceus, but it's not the world-conquering titan that some thought it would be, huh?
12m+ on a non-Holiday quarter is a very strong performance. Sell-through is very high given the info provided by Nintendo so there's still a lot of sales potential left.

The question is rather, how much S/V will cut its legs short but that tibdit was not anticipated when people made their predictions.

Decent start for Arceus, but it's not the world-conquering titan that some thought it would be, huh?

Legs remain to be seen, but I'd chuckle if BDSP ended up above it after all.
There were people who thought it would top out at 10 M

I've certainly lowered my PLA expectations since I anticipated a second push for holidays (with a big expansion).

Well if we knew a new generation would be announced a month after making Arceuse look like a proof of concept we might have adjusted our expectations.

12m+ on a non-Holiday quarter is a very strong performance. Sell-through is very high given the info provided by Nintendo so there's still a lot of sales potential left.

The question is rather, how much S/V will cut its legs short but that tibdit was not anticipated when people made their predictions.
Yep. The most ambitious predictions for Arceus came after launch but before S/V were announced. That being said, its launch numbers for a single SKU Pokémon in a non-holiday quarter are ginormous.

Super Mario Party eventually hitting 20M after a newer Mario Party released is probably going to be one of the funniest stories of this generation.

Well if we knew a new generation would be announced a month after making Arceuse look like a proof of concept we might have adjusted our expectations.
Some of us did predict that Gen IX was coming this year, to be fair!

Super Mario Party eventually hitting 20M after a newer Mario Party released is probably going to be one of the funniest stories of this generation.
Also would make NDCube the only non-EPD/Game Freak developer with a 20M+ seller on the Switch.

It's interesting to see that many franchises have their best-selling entry on Switch.

In no particular order:

Best-selling entry on Switch:
-Mario Kart
- Pikmin
- Mario Golf
- 3D Mario
- Mario Tennis
- Animal Crossing
- Mario Party
- Splatoon
- Xenoblade
- Fire Emblem
- Metroid
- Super Smash Bros.
- Luigi's Mansion
- Pokémon Remake
- The Legend of Zelda
- Mario Maker
- Miitopia
- Clubhouse Games
- Captain Toad

2nd best-selling entry on Switch:
- Kirby (has a chance to be best-selling in the franchise)
- Pokémon
- Paper Mario

Franchises that underperformed on Switch compared to other entries of the respective franchise:
- Yoshi
- Dr. Kawashima
- WarioWare
- Big Brain
- Mario 2D (no real new entry)
- Donkey Kong (no real new entry)
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (no real new entry)

Missing in action:
- F-Zero
- Tomodachi
- Style Boutique
- Wario Land
- Star Fox
- New Donkey Kong
- New Pikmin
- New Mario 2D

Upcoming:
- Advance Wars
- Mario Strikers

Switch first party software is really unstoppable. Mario Kart will be the best selling non-bundled game on a single platform?

Also, Clubhouse Games 😱

I was about to say. Less than BDSP but anywhere 12M+ in a non-holiday quarter is fantastic. It would have done even more with a holiday bump so idk why people are acting like this is a disappointing number, even compared to BDSP.

Mario Kart Deluxe just missed out onanother 10m fiscal year (9.94m).

PLA will have much stronger legs. BDSP only added 680K this quarter. BDSP seems to be a frontloaded game and i think PLA can add at least 1m in it's 2nd quarter.

Well deserved for Dread to become the best selling entry in the series, I wished it would top 3M since we're not getting any more updates (until after Prime 4 is released possibly) but still, great achievement for the franchise.

It sold 160k last quarter, its safe (needs only 100k more) to say it will pass easily 3m LT.

Yep. The most ambitious predictions for Arceus came after launch but before S/V were announced. That being said, its launch numbers for a single SKU Pokémon in a non-holiday quarter are ginormous.
That's not really a good excuse. An announcement can't lower sales from the 25-30M that were expected here to whatever under 20M it will end up doing. (will it even cross 15M? lol).
Maybe it has to do with the game itself, bad looking graphics, short game, etc.
That being said, S/V look way better and hopefully it'll do great numbers this november!

That's not really a good excuse. An announcement can't lower sales from the 25-30M that were expected here to whatever under 20M it will end up doing. (will it even cross 15M? lol).
Not having a holiday season being the newest Pokemon game is huge for the sales of the game.

While I'm glad to see Metroid Dread become the best selling Metroid game, those legs are so short :(
Honestly, better legs than most would have predicted for the Jan-Mar sales period. With it now being the most popular Metroid game of all time, there may be some momentum for it to continue selling through to another holiday season.
And really, with how sporadic the releases in this series have been over the years, there's been little opportunity to grow a fanbase; a huge portion of pre-Dread Metroid fans were alive when the SNES was still around, after all. What would be the best course is for Nintendo to not squander the opportunity by releasing Metroid games with better frequency, not just trying to funnel them all into buying Prime 4 (which is a similar-but-different kind of game that might not keep the appeal and might grow a different fanbase).

Where are you Mario Maker?/s
Anyone reading this thread would probably think Nintendo failed.

both Arceus and Dread are doing way more than fine, lol
inflated expectations aren't enough to dimish their results imho

Go Kirby, go!

Last edited:
It sold 160k last quarter, its safe (needs only 100k more) to say it will pass easily 3m LT.
I know I know, I just wanted the round 3M number to be official, it's easily going to hit 3.5M too.

Also would make NDCube the only non-EPD/Game Freak developer with a 20M+ seller on the Switch.
I wonder if NDCube will expand and if they do if they'll branch out from party games. Granted, even Clubhouse games proved to be quite a hit, so maybe they feel safe sticking to their guns.

Kirby has a nice start. Hopefully this quarter adds a substantial amount to that with more days to track.

Not having a holiday season being the newest Pokemon game is huge for the sales of the game.
But nowhere near 10M of lost sales.
The game just did not match the initial expectations and that's fine. We'll have a better one in 6 months and we can bet everything on that one!

Maybe it has to do with the game itself, bad looking graphics, short game, etc.
That being said, S/V look way better and hopefully it'll do great numbers this november!
A game not ridiculously overperforming doesn’t mean that it underperformed. Its sales numbers are objectively impressive.

The game just did not match the initial expectations and that's fine. We'll have a better one in 6 months and we can bet everything on that one!
Its sales are completely in line with initial expectations, and on the higher end, at that.

25-30M sales for Legends Arceus was always a laughable prediction. C'mon now - not even Sword/Shield reached that figure (yet) and it was a new generation mainline entry with 2 years of sales to itself & proper DLC support.

Anyways, some graphs...
f88f3ac4b826c6197ff850eb58f88cd973eb9a38503e9de1958135ab75355ff1.png

Pokémon Sword/Shield sales have slowed significantly with 370K sold last quarter. It will still exceed 25M sold this year, but 30M sales will be almost impossible to reach. Number are obviously still massive.

215ea50a0def53df66b6711b91c341e85c1765cf12b242767c265f5e9ca9f139.png

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee are now the #1 and #2 best-selling Pokemon remakes respectively.

Kirby has a nice start. Hopefully this quarter adds a substantial amount to that with more days to track.
I think April's game being Switch Sports, a mainly multiplayer experience, and May being kinda empty bodes really well for the legs of Kirby.

+1 to those impressed by PLA numbers. It did amazing considering its a 4th quarter release..

Kirby's first week numbers are also impressive. Since its enjoying great legs at least in Japan and Spain, I still think it has a nice chance of becoming the best-selling game of the saga.

Congrats to Metroid Dread on becoming the best-selling Metroid ever!

Unless things change, we should get yearly updates from CESA White Book.

Next update Kirby Forgotten Land should already be the 2nd best entry or close to being it, as of March 31st it was the forth with only 30k units less than Triple Deluxe.

Launch aligned sales of Kirby games since the DS.
be39087e872382ffeebdffec473b82c7ad347b33dc04211dbf2134f0edaa7a0f.png

Kirby and the Forgotten Land by far and away the fastest-selling Kirby game ever; it shipped more in its first week than Kirby Star Allies shipped in its first year.
It is already the 4th best-selling entry in the series, behind Dream Land, Star Allies, and Super Star Ultra.

I would say at least 40M of lost sales
A friend of mine was expecting around 55/60 millions for the first quarte, I tell you!

Dread too is missing at least a couple of dozens millions, based on my pleasure playing the game

/jk

Metroid Dread was so close to 3 million. Of course it would miss it by 100k lmao! The RGT Balan Wonderworld review will have to wait some more....

they always seem to forget Super Mario Maker 2 off these lists??
That's probably because it didn't sell a million within the fiscal year.

My expectations for PLA were 18-20m. I expect all of the mainline games to reach 15m but 18m without its own holiday season seems impossible.

they always seem to forget Super Mario Maker 2 off these lists??
they only inlcude games that sold more than 1M within the fiscal year, so you see only games released in 2021 that DID cross 1M or older games that still managed to rake in 1 extra mil.

Back
Top Bottom