• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

[UPDATE - Total Players cumulatively not sales leak] Tom Henderson - Battlefield 2042 Sales Internal Leaks

Players playing is probably a more important metric to EA than just sales, but with the broken state of the game, I imagine the playerbase is also much lower than previous BF games.
It is normally, however because the Lifetime Total Players statistic here also include all refunds (of which there were many), along with everyone who played the free trial, I would wager that the data science team at EA is probably going to be using TPV (Total Payment Volume, net of reversals) as their primary metric of success for BF2042 instead.

Lifetime Total Players obfuscates sales decline, which I believe was the case here.

Sorry I just have a really hard time making sense of these numbers.

20% of players from Steam seems very plausible. But then that would mean around 850 000 units moved there when the CCU (100k) doesn't suggest that kind of amount.

I'll wait a bit more (NPD notably) but something feels very fishy about all of this.
The numbers didn't make sense to me back then. Glad to have an update to clear everything up.

I wouldn't be surprised if 60-70% of those 4 million players were just people with the trial from EA Play/Game Pass. The player counts on Steam are laughable. And even on Xbox - where you have the Game Pass trial - the game is already getting pushed out of the top 50 most played games. What a disaster.

Yep

Going F2P won't help them at this point, they need to reword the game first so that players enjoy playing it.

It's a really bad situation, because even if EA wanted to sell the studio and the Battlefield IP, they are both pretty much worthless right now and nobody would be willing to pay much. Most of the talent has left DICE and Battlefield has not had a non-underperforming game since 6 years ago.

It's a really bad situation, because even if EA wanted to sell the studio and the Battlefield IP, they are both pretty much worthless right now and nobody would be willing to pay much. Most of the talent has left DICE and Battlefield has not had a non-underperforming game since 6 years ago.
Do you know which studios has been hiring the developers who left Dice?

Do you know which studios has been hiring the developers who left Dice?
Most of them left for Embark, which is based in Stockholm. Others have gone to Ubisoft, IO Interactive, The Coalition and other AAA developers, from what's I've seen.

But yeah, the majority of them are at Embark now. They are making a game called ARC Raiders.

Last edited:
So we went from "Battlefield 2042 had the 2nd biggest launch in series history" to "Legacy data was pulled from Vgchartz, BF2042 sales are actually player counts, and the game actually underperformed so badly it may go F2P."

Oof

So we went from "Battlefield 2042 had the 2nd biggest launch in series history" to "Legacy data was pulled from Vgchartz, BF2042 sales are actually player counts, and the game actually underperformed so badly it may go F2P."

Oof
I asked Tom on Twitter if that figure was sales or players because DICE would realistically have access to the information on how many people are playing, but they wouldn't know sales at all.

He didn't reply and turns out he was wrong, lol.

Edit: Tom gets his Battlefield info from DICE, not EA. That's important.

Imagine where they would be if someone else had acquired Respawn. They have been the company's most clutch non-sport development team.

Imagine if EA had the sense to delay a game what it needs to be delayed and not rush it out because its the holidays the fiscal year might end.

Not surprising. Game is back at full price which suggests the big discounts did not drive increased sales.

It should already have gone F2P - their best bet is to stick it on EA Play whilst they fix it then relaunch with F2P when its actually something people enjoy playing.

The worst parts is it's already kind of free for a lot of people because it's on Game Pass and EA Play trials. F2P won't save it simply because it's a bad game that runs terribly on old-gen consoles, too. The game has basic problems (map design is awful), that cannot be fixed with patches.

Now below both Battlefield V and Battlefield 1. I know its a disaster already but I think being 1/4 of the most recent entry and 1/2 of the second most recent entry is basically a dumpster fire.

Screenshot-2022-01-28-133717.png

Now below both Battlefield V and Battlefield 1. I know its a disaster already but I think being 1/4 of the most recent entry and 1/2 of the second most recent entry is basically a dumpster fire.

Not only that but most of 1 and 5's players are on Origin, while most of 2042 are probably on Steam because it was on it at launch. This is just a disaster.

I don't believe they can salvage it. Battlefield is in a very very bad situation.

Back
Top Bottom