• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

UPDATE 7: Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak Surpasses 6 Million Units Globally, MHR at 13M [NEW]

Welfare

Staff
Scholar Archivist Staff
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UPDATE 2: Now 3.5 Million

UPDATE: Now 3 Million

Iceborne took a whole month to sell 2.8 Million

Original:
Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (Sunbreak, below), the massive premium expansion for Monster Hunter Rise (Rise, below) for Nintendo Switch and PC (Steam), has shipped 2 million units worldwide.

The Monster Hunter series consists of hunting action games that pit players against giant monsters in a beautiful natural environment. Beginning with the first title in 2004, the series established a new genre in which players cooperate to hunt ferocious monsters with their friends and has since grown into a global phenomenon with cumulative sales of the series exceeding 84 million units shipped as of July 5, 2022. Notably, January 2018 release Monster Hunter: World has enjoyed sales growth in the four years since its launch, now holding the Capcom all-time record of 21 million* units shipped.

Further, March 2021 release Rise has also surpassed 10 million units shipped globally, which was achieved through a variety of measures including ongoing free updates and the launch of a PC version, as well as with the release of a set that includes Sunbreak.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne sold 2.5 Million in its opening week. This is PS4 and Xbox One sales only. PC Iceborne released 4 months later.

Last edited:

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne sold 2.5 Million in its opening week.

For the sake of comparison, should be noted that the PC version of Iceborne released later.

For the sake of comparison, should be noted that the PC version of Iceborne released later.

Yep,

2M (Switch + PC) is a huge and fantastic number for Sunbreak but puts Iceborne selling 2.5M mostly on PS4 in a different light now.

Unless Capcom is doing some weird things with how they are adding the numbers.

A bit more context

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
Release date (PS4 / XBO) - September 6th, 2019
Announcement of 2.5 millions milestone - September 13th, 2019
Items grouped as Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (digital) and Monster Hunter World: Master Edition (retail + digital)
Shipments for the base game (PS4 / XBO / PC) as of September 30th, 2019 - 14.100.000

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
Release date (NSW / PC) - June 30th, 2022
Announcement of 2 millions milestone - July 5th, 2022
Shipments for the base game (NSW / PC) as of July 5th, 2022 - 10.000.000

Note: right now it's unclear how Capcom is tracking the Monster Hunter Rise + Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak Set. They state that the base game's sales were also propelled by the release of the set, but it's not clearly specified that its sales are grouped together with the sales of the expansion, similarly to what they did for Monster Hunter World.

EDIT due to corrections for World and things not being as clear cut as I thought for Rise

Last edited:
Excellent news. Comparison with World/Iceborne is very good too.
It'll be interesting to see the support for this title (won't be hard to be better than the one for Rise), and their future strategy for the brand.

Rise was more focused on mechanics than story as usual with Ichinose titles so it's interesting to look at this success.

Nice number. I can see this keep rising as the great wom keep spreading there. Switch+PC combo is going to keep pushing the sales for foreseeable time.

Shipments for the base game, including sales from the Monster Hunter World: Master Edition as of September 30th, 2019 (PC version sales of the base game are included) - 13.100.000
The Master Edition isn't included in the World figures from the platinum page, it's only counted towards Iceborne itself except for PRs. 13.1m was as of June 2019 btw, it reached 14.1m as of September 30, 2019

Yep,

2M (Switch + PC) is a huge and fantastic number for Sunbreak but puts Iceborne selling 2.5M mostly on PS4 in a different light now.

Unless Capcom is doing some weird things with how they are adding the numbers.
Yeah. Also considering the pretty high CCU peak in steam (almost comparable to Iceborne) this actually feels somewhat soft launch on Switch. Especially considering how Japan should be more frontloaded when it comes to expansion sales (At least with Iceborne it was) and how Rise itself outsold World in Japan. I guess day one launch on PC moved part of the userbase from Switch to PC (at least outside of Japan).

The Master Edition isn't included in the World figures from the platinum page, it's only counted towards Iceborne itself except for PRs. 13.1m was as of June 2019 btw, it reached 14.1m as of September 30, 2019

I've already issued a correction for the way Capcom tracked Master Edition sales, it's in the edited version of the post
My apologies for the total though, I'm not sure why I was so fixed with the one as of June 2019 when Iceborne came out on September 6th, 2019. The effects of not sleeping enough I guess XD

Thanks for the correction.

I would really love to see the platform split for this.
Do we think it is kind of 50:50 or a little bit higher on switch or the other way around?

Yeah. Also considering the pretty high CCU peak in steam (almost comparable to Iceborne) this actually feels somewhat soft launch on Switch. Especially considering how Japan should be more frontloaded when it comes to expansion sales (At least with Iceborne it was) and how Rise itself outsold World in Japan. I guess day one launch on PC moved part of the userbase from Switch to PC (at least outside of Japan).

As of Sunday, this was the situation across several eShop rankings as reported by @Pooroomoo with the help of the eShop Charts' contributors.

As explained in the previous thread, Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak is considered DLC and so it does not rank in the regular eShop charts as displayed at the top of this thread.

When looking at the eShop charts containing all paid items (as @zroid did in the above post, so both paid software and DLCs), as per all our contributors (who did this voluntarily, as opposed to the weekly charts which they are doing under duress) following are Sunbreak's current rankings:

US: Sunbreak no. 1 (Sunbreak Deluxe no. 4)
CA: Sunbreak no. 1 (Sunbreak Deluxe no. 4)
JP: Sunbreak no. 1 (Sunbreak Deluxe no. 2, Sunbreak Deluxe Kit no. 3)
HK: Sunbreak no. 1
KR: Sunbreak no. 1
AU: Sunbreak no. 1
GB: Sunbreak no. 2 (Portal Collection is no. 1, Cuphead DLC is no. 3, Sunbreak Deluxe no. 7)
FR: Sunbreak no. 1 (MK8D Booster Course Pass is no. 2, FIFA 22 is no. 3, Sunbreak Deluxe no. 4)
DE: Sunbreak no. 1
ES: Sunbreak no. 3 (Cuphead DLC is no. 1, FIFA 22 is no. 2, Sunbreak Deluxe no. 9)
IT: Sunbreak no. 1 (Sunbreak Deluxe no. 5)
SE: Sunbreak no. 1(Cuphead DLC is no. 2, Sunbreak Deluxe no. 10)
BE: Sunbreak no. 3 (MK8D Booster Course Pass is no. 1, Cuphead DLC is no. 4, Sunbreak Deluxe no. 8)

Especially when taking into consideration the two-weeks rolling period on the eShop charts, I fail to see how this can be considered a soft launch in many markets.

I think what this shows is that, people were waiting for discount and to get the game+expansion in one fell swoop. $60-$70 for the game plus Sunbreak is a decent price. Ofcourse a ton of people might've moved from switch to PC but considering how cross-save isn't there, i don't think a lot of them did.

As of Sunday, this was the situation across several eShop rankings as reported by @Pooroomoo with the help of the eShop Charts' contributors.

Especially when taking into consideration the two-weeks rolling period on the eShop charts, I fail to see how this can be considered a soft launch in many markets.
2 million total launch shared with strong PC launch indicates probably something like between 1 and 1.5 million (closer to former) for Switch at launch compared to 2.5 million launch for IceBorne on PS4/XBO. To me that is somewhat soft. Especially as at least before the launch I thought Sunbreak is going to do easily over 1 million in japan alone on Switch at launch.

Worth noting the 2m for Sunbreak is 2 less days than the 2.5m for Iceborne. Not going to be a massive difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Do we know for certain that the 2.5 million Iceborne launch did not include the master edition?

Worth noting the 2m for Sunbreak is 2 less days than the 2.5m for Iceborne. Not going to be a massive difference, but a difference nonetheless.
Fair point. Still though considering how Rise proved Switch even as a somewhat bigger platform for MH than PS4 and how PC is easily way bigger platform for MH than Xbox I personally expected Sunbreak easily sell more than console only launch of IceBorne. Especially with Rise having decent edge over World in Japan.

Do we know for certain that the 2.5 million Iceborne launch did not include the master edition?
It did include it

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, the massive expansion for Monster Hunter: World for PlayStation®4 and Xbox One*1, 2, has shipped over 2.5 million units*3 worldwide.
*1 Xbox One version available in North America and Europe only *2 PC version scheduled for release in January 2020 *3 Includes Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (digital sales) and Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition (physical shipments and digital sales).

Sunbreak launch is definitely softer than Iceborne, even by taking into account the 2 additional days of tracking for IB.

Still, Rise is joining a very select club of JP 3rd party 10m+ sellers. It is an impressive milestone, already above Capcom 5 years projection.

It did include it

Ah, thanks.

And do we know for sure one way or the other if the Sunbreak 2 million includes the Rise + Sunbreak edition or not?

Heh.

Capcom will think hard and fast about which MH line it wants to prioritize, if it's resources are indeed limited going forward.

Still have to see where this ends up in the end. It is no surprise the 10 million game sells less expansion than the 13 million game.

Last edited:
Heh.

Capcom will think hard and fast about which MH line it wants to prioritize, if it's resources are indeed limited going forward.

Still have to see where this ends up in the end. It is no surprise the 10 million game sells less expansion than the 13 million game.
Only 500k less isn't the end of the world. If resources or staff are tight they'll logically cut far less lucrative AAA titles like RE, DMC, DD or SF.

If there are 2 days less and the master edition is not counted, I would say that a the difference is meaningless

In any case, congrats to Capcom

Perfect management ofcthe MH IP this gen

Rather than PC/NSW split, I'm more interested to know the Japan/RoW split. Rise did considerably better than World in Japan, so it might also be overrepresented in SB sales as well. Not to mention this might have finally pushed Rise to become the best selling MH in Japan, surpassing P3rd's 4.95M (albeit with the benefit of an expansion that P3rd didnt have).

Still a fantastic result overall.

Rather than PC/NSW split, I'm more interested to know the Japan/RoW split. Rise did considerably better than World in Japan, so it might also be overrepresented in SB sales as well. Not to mention this might have finally pushed Rise to become the best selling MH in Japan, surpassing P3rd's 4.95M (albeit with the benefit of an expansion that P3rd didnt have).

Still a fantastic result overall.
I think with bargain bin editions P3rd is at like 5.3 million in Japan.

Fair point. Still though considering how Rise proved Switch even as a somewhat bigger platform for MH than PS4 and how PC is easily way bigger platform for MH than Xbox I personally expected Sunbreak easily sell more than console only launch of IceBorne. Especially with Rise having decent edge over World in Japan.
It's worth noting Rise PC is less than 6 months old so it's going to naturally have a smaller base to build off. Technically Rise Switch also had less time to base build pre-expansion than World PS4/XBO.

I do think some degree of audience shift from Rise console to PC likely occurred, as it did with World. This would likely impact Sunbreak more than it did Iceborne given it wasn't also a staggered release.

It's worth noting Rise PC is less than 6 months old so it's going to naturally have a smaller base to build off. Technically Rise Switch also had less time to base build pre-expansion than World PS4/XBO.

I do think some degree of audience shift from Rise console to PC likely occurred, as it did with World. This would likely impact Sunbreak more than it did Iceborne given it wasn't also a staggered release.
Originally it seemed that Rise had way softer launch on PC than World and it that light these numbers would had made more sense to me but when Sunbreak CCU numbers on Steam got actually pretty close to Iceborne and way higher than base Rise(so either PC audience waited for the expansion or there was movement from Switch) I started to expect more. Could be that there was some degree audience shift but like @AshenOne pointed out there is not cross save between Switch and PC so that should limit it somewhat. Still though I somewhat assumed that in Japan alone Sunbreak would launch like with at least 1.5 million units considering how Rise performed but that seems impossible with these numbers. I guess we shall see with future milestone updates how things go.

Heh.

They would absolutely cut some of their AA or smaller audience AAA before cutting MH. Having the two lines allows them to have a larger audience, and more sustained mindshare. Cutting one line is basically saying "Yeah we want to utterly gut a FY revenue every few years and take a nice chunk of our catalog sales away as well as hurt brand momentum"

What would they even focus on instead? They already have RE well accounted for and Street fighter doesn't really lend itself to supporting a glut of brand new games. Just lots of DLC but that doesn't need a MH size team and is already clearly well accounted for given SFV and SFVI didn't stop us from getting tons of RE and MH.

Nothing else of theirs is even remotely close to MH numbers. Even Street Fighter is honestly small potatoes compared to MH nowadays. Rise sold more in its first ~3 months then SFV has in 6 years. Only thing I could sorta see is if Dragons Dogma 2 blows up World style.

10 million for Rise and 21 million for World are huge numbers. Their expansion numbers being high is also good.

Originally it seemed that Rise had way softer launch on PC than World and it that light these numbers would had made more sense to me but when Sunbreak CCU numbers on Steam got actually pretty close to Iceborne and way higher than base Rise(so either PC audience waited for the expansion or there was movement from Switch) I started to expect more. Could be that there was some degree audience shift but like @AshenOne pointed out there is not cross save between Switch and PC so that should limit it somewhat. Still though I somewhat assumed that in Japan alone Sunbreak would launch like with at least 1.5 million units considering how Rise performed but that seems impossible with these numbers. I guess we shall see with future milestone updates how things go.

One thing worth noting is that Rise's PC CCU numbers had been...uh Rising since the 50% off sale at the beginning of last month so the peak we saw over the weekend might also include a chunk of people who bought in on vanilla Rise when it was on sale and haven't picked up Sunbreak yet.

Trying to work things out through CCU is definitely not ideal...

Last edited:
Still, a simultaneous PC launch is going to naturally impact things more than a staggered one.

It's also worth noting Iceborne PC had to have had an under 800k launch in it's first 2 weeks. Sunbreak PC is showing a slightly lower CCU than that if we want to try and ballpark numbers.

• PR 07.05.22 over 2m

Monster Hunter Rise
  • PR 03.29.21 over 4m
  • IR 03.31.21 4.8m
  • PR 04.05.21 over 5m
  • IR 06.30.21 7.3m
  • IR 09.30.21 7.5m
  • IR 12.31.21 7.7m
  • PR 01.18.22 over 8m (PC launch)
  • IR 03.31.22 9m
  • PR 07.05.22 over 10m (Sunbreak launch)

Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne
  • PR 09.13.19 over 2.5m
  • IR 09.30.19 2.8m
  • IR 12.31.19 3.2m
  • PR 01.13.20 over 4m (PC launch)
  • PR 03.13.20 over 5m
  • IR 03.31.20 5.2m
  • IR 06.30.20 5.8m
  • IR 09.30.20 6.6m
  • IR 12.31.20 7.2m
  • IR 03.31.21 7.7m
  • IR 06.30.21 8.2m
  • IR 09.30.21 8.5m
  • IR 12.31.21 8.8m
  • IR 03.31.22 9.2m

Monster Hunter: World
  • PR 01.29.18 over 5m
  • PR 02.09.18 over 6m
  • PR 03.05.18 over 7.5m
  • IR 03.31.18 7.9m
  • IR 06.30.18 8.3m
  • PR 08.20.18 over 10m (PC launch)
  • IR 09.30.18 10.7m
  • PR 10.11.18 over 10m
  • IR 12.31.18 11.7m
  • IR 03.31.19 12.4m
  • IR 06.30.19 13.1m
  • IR 09.30.19 14.1m (Iceborne launch)
  • IR 12.31.19 14.9m
  • PR 01.13.20 over 15m (PC Iceborne launch)
  • IR 03.31.20 15.7m
  • IR 06.30.20 16.1m
  • IR 09.30.20 16.4m
  • IR 12.31.20 16.8m
  • IR 03.31.21 17.1m
  • IR 06.30.21 17.3m
  • IR 09.30.21 17.5m
  • IR 12.31.21 17.8m
  • IR 03.31.22 18m

Still, a simultaneous PC launch is going to naturally impact things more than a staggered one.

It's also worth noting Iceborne PC had to have had an under 800k launch in it's first 2 weeks. Sunbreak PC is showing a slightly lower CCU than that if we want to try and ballpark numbers.

• PR 07.05.22 over 2m

Monster Hunter Rise
  • PR 03.29.21 over 4m
  • IR 03.31.21 4.8m
  • PR 04.05.21 over 5m
  • IR 06.30.21 7.3m
  • IR 09.30.21 7.5m
  • IR 12.31.21 7.7m
  • PR 01.18.22 over 8m (PC launch)
  • IR 03.31.22 9m
  • PR 07.05.22 over 10m (Sunbreak launch)

Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne
  • PR 09.13.19 over 2.5m
  • IR 09.30.19 2.8m
  • IR 12.31.19 3.2m
  • PR 01.13.20 over 4m (PC launch)
  • PR 03.13.20 over 5m
  • IR 03.31.20 5.2m
  • IR 06.30.20 5.8m
  • IR 09.30.20 6.6m
  • IR 12.31.20 7.2m
  • IR 03.31.21 7.7m
  • IR 06.30.21 8.2m
  • IR 09.30.21 8.5m
  • IR 12.31.21 8.8m
  • IR 03.31.22 9.2m

Monster Hunter: World
  • PR 01.29.18 over 5m
  • PR 02.09.18 over 6m
  • PR 03.05.18 over 7.5m
  • IR 03.31.18 7.9m
  • IR 06.30.18 8.3m
  • PR 08.20.18 over 10m (PC launch)
  • IR 09.30.18 10.7m
  • PR 10.11.18 over 10m
  • IR 12.31.18 11.7m
  • IR 03.31.19 12.4m
  • IR 06.30.19 13.1m
  • IR 09.30.19 14.1m (Iceborne launch)
  • IR 12.31.19 14.9m
  • PR 01.13.20 over 15m (PC Iceborne launch)
  • IR 03.31.20 15.7m
  • IR 06.30.20 16.1m
  • IR 09.30.20 16.4m
  • IR 12.31.20 16.8m
  • IR 03.31.21 17.1m
  • IR 06.30.21 17.3m
  • IR 09.30.21 17.5m
  • IR 12.31.21 17.8m
  • IR 03.31.22 18m
You are not counting the Master Edition in World sales like Capcom did for the 21 million number?

You are not counting the Master Edition in World sales like Capcom did for the 21 million number?
No because that isn't how Capcom counts it in their IR. Presumably to keep consistent with previous G expansions (no one says MH4 sold 8.3m or MHGen sold 8.7m).

It's a little confusing if they're applying the same metric to Rise's 10m but they didn't bullet point it (like with World+ME) and given Rise catalog sales in the Steam charts I doubt they are given it's only 1m higher over a quarter.

edit: just looked at the PR again, it really does imply that it includes the Sunbreak set? I wonder if Capcom will be counting this differently as the set is technically still dual game files (Rise cart + Sunbreak code) while Iceborne ME wasn't (combined World & Iceborne on disc)? Basically a sneaky way to "double count"?

Last edited:
it is stunning how MH can be so succesfull in both its "pipeline": It's pretty obvious/evident how the Switch+pc / PS5+Xbox+PC lines are here to stay

I wonder how the next installment will decrease its sales and if it will have a similar curve in both its incarnations

With the updates planned there should be little doubt thay Rise will end up the best selling MH game in Japan.

Considering that we are not expecting another Monster Hunter on the Switch, across both SKUs Rise will probably hit 6M in 2023 by then I expect Capcom to start selling it at 1/3 of the launch price on the eShop - they will probably be at 50% discount during a couple of weeks in December/ early January period

Heh.

Yeah, for sure it's a given that the Rise team will be moved to work on something else.

Yeah, for sure it's a given that the Rise team will be moved to work on something else.

I wonder if we are finally getting Zack & Wiki 2
that would be a prudly deserved prize for the team behind the best-selling-single-sku-Capcom-product evah

/jk

Nice start. Wonder how the retail shipments of the bundle set compare to master edition. I’d imagine the difference is more stark given the change in set up and the price being higher.

Wish capcom would stay consistent with how it counts the bundles, but that’s just the usual for Capcom and their sales numbers.

Back
Top Bottom