Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Toshihiro Nagoshi and Daisuke Sato are leaving Sega and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio

Coco

Disciple Staff
Armamenter
20211008_062412.jpg
unknown.png

20211008_062024.jpg

In 10 years they delivered a ton of high quality games. Two geniuses leave but at the same time I can't wait to see how the studio handles the future Yakuza and Judgement games.

Amazing Work delivered by them for being able to output the high quality numbers of games on a shorter time frame. Not an easy task.

Nagoshi has been a stable at SEGA since the 90s.
He was Director and Producer on games like Daytone USA, Monkey Ball, F-Zero GX and of course Yakuza.
Him going is a big loss for SEGA, but given the amounts of rumors and him not being CCO anymore kinda made it clear, that
he wouldn't remain at SEGA forlong anymore.

Will be interesting to see how Sega Japan will be changed with this. Sega Japan had been huge disappointment in sales barometer especially compared to Atlus and Sega West. Hopefully this whole restructure from top to bottom will help changed them into better.

Regardless of speculated reasons there was obviously some internal friction with Nagoshi at SEGA, so it will be interesting to see the ramifications of his demotion and departure on the company.

The writing was on the wall but damn if he and his team didn't produce some excellent games over the past years.

Hopefully the new leadership will take the right decisions to ensure their franchises' stability and growth. Judgement is already in a difficult position as it is, it would be a shame if it ends and weakens Yakuza too.

This felt like an inevitability following the demotion. I hope Nagoshi gets more creative reign for projects at NetEase.

NetEase gets good leaders, Sega, hopefully, gets new visionaries that can put Sega Japan on the same level as Atlus and Sega Europe

Will be interesting to see how Sega Japan will be changed with this. Sega Japan had been huge disappointment in sales barometer especially compared to Atlus and Sega West. Hopefully this whole restructure from top to bottom will help changed them into better.
It's even harder to be charitable when comparing them to SEGA Europe. Total War and Football Manager ship every year and have consistently grown. Many of their PC strategy games have strong DLC sales on top of that.

Huge loss for Sega. Yakuza games were one of the most stable and steady IPs from them. Hopefully the remaining team will be able to keep up with the high-quality. I wish sucess for Nagoshi in his new endeavors. I hope he's able to create new breakout hits at NetEase.
Meanwhile just 4 years ago:

That was before the demotion wasn't? Damn, how things change. Unthinkable back then.

I remember when some fans were deflecting that the demotion wasn't really a demotion and Nagoshi chose to do it to be closer to gamedev again. Well, I guess they were half right eventually.

We've been making fun of Nagoshi a lot in the Media Create threads on Era, but his games are of course fucking fantastic.
I really fell in love with this team through Yakuza 0.

Now, the question is: what will these two do now?
My guess is they will set up a new studio, backed by Tencent.

We've been making fun of Nagoshi a lot in the Media Create threads on Era, but his games are of course fucking fantastic.
I really fell in love with this team through Yakuza 0.

Now, the question is: what will these two do now?
My guess is they will set up a new studio, backed by Tencent.
the current rumor is NetEase

That would've been my second guess yeah. Those huge Chinese companies have been poaching a lot of senior staff. Nothing wrong with that of course, but I expect this to become an increasingly big problem for the traditional Japanese publishers.

I think it's fair to say Nagoshi probably wouldn't have left if not for his recent demotion though, and he probably convinced Sato to go with him.

It was only a matter of time. Very few people stay with their publisher if they've been demoted or sidelined. Several people at Square-Enix and Capcom left because of this.

I disagree with many of his decisions, but there is no denying the quality of games he produced. Yakuza 0 will always remain one of my favorite games.

Pretty big bummer after I just got into the Yakuza/Judgment series. I wish them the best and am hopeful for their careers in the future.

Can't believe they are leaving. But I guess his demotion was the cause.
Hope for the best for them.
Will miss the PuyoPuyo and Playstation/Nintendo memes.

Back
Top Bottom