• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

The Verge: All Xbox One Production Ended in 2020

Welfare

Staff
Scholar Archivist Staff
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
“To focus on production of Xbox Series X / S, we stopped production for all Xbox One consoles by the end of 2020,” says Cindy Walker, senior director of Xbox console product marketing, in a statement to The Verge.

Microsoft’s confirmation comes just as a Bloomberg report suggested Sony had planned to end PS4 production at the end of 2021, but that the company will now manufacture around a million PS4 consoles in 2022. Sony has confirmed PS4 production is still ongoing, amid struggles by both Microsoft and Sony to meet demand for their latest Xbox Series X and PS5 consoles.

Confirmation on something I had seen back in December 2020. Xbox One hardware died that month.

Already one year ago?I thought Microsoft would have keep on producing XB1 S for a few years still.

Is is not possible to buy a brand new XB1 console anywhere?

Whats the XB1 LTD?
  • XB1 2020 US LTD =/ 29M
  • XB1 2020 UK LTD =/ 5.69M
Assuming, similar to its predecessor, around 66% of sales in US+UK,
  • XB1 LTD WW =/ 52.5M (might be closer to 55M, with 2021 sales added in)

Already one year ago?I thought Microsoft would have keep on producing XB1 S for a few years still.

Why would they? I would not be surprised if xbox series s cost roughly the same as a Xbox one s to produce.

Whats the XB1 LTD?
  • XB1 2020 US LTD =/ 29M
  • XB1 2020 UK LTD =/ 5.69M
Assuming, similar to its predecessor, around 66% of sales in US+UK,
  • XB1 LTD WW =/ 52.5M (might be closer to 55M, with 2021 sales added in)
The OP of this very thread answered that in another really good thread: around 57 million.

The One S is still listed in the US xbox website - it's not available tho.
The other locales i've tried (de-de, en-gb, jp-jp) only list the Series models.

I haven't seen the One models advertised/sold since the current consoles launched (maybe even since before that).
Since they backtracked on supporting the old gen for all new first party releases and the design, name and MSRP of the One S (+digital) and the Series S being so similar they also might want to avoid confusion/anger if the newly bought console can't play the new games.

The One S is still listed in the US xbox website - it's not available tho.
The other locales i've tried (de-de, en-gb, jp-jp) only list the Series models.

I haven't seen the One models advertised/sold since the current consoles launched (maybe even since before that).
Since they backtracked on supporting the old gen for all new first party releases and the design, name and MSRP of the One S (+digital) and the Series S being so similar they also might want to avoid confusion/anger if the newly bought console can't play the new games.
They didn't backtrack on supporting old gen. Matt Booty said "first year, two years". Xbox One is getting As Dusk Falls and Grounded in 2022.

Honestly Sony's announcement yesterday and Microsofts announcement today makes sense and are the best move for both companies.

A $300 or less PS4 can fill a budget gap for another year while most games are still cross gen and the PS5 is hard to get. There's still a lot of bang consumers can get out of the PS4 while the PS5 is facing production issues.

The Series S is that budget option for Xbox, and Microsoft is pushing people towards gamespass anyways. The Series S has also been readily available so there's no need for an even more budget version of old hardware since it's not really filling a market.

They didn't backtrack on supporting old gen. Matt Booty said "first year, two years". Xbox One is getting As Dusk Falls and Grounded in 2022.
Maybe i remembered it wrong or was reading the wrong new sites back then but i thought they said all XGS games (for a certain period of time) will have Xbox One versions and later corrected/clarified they won't force their studios to do this. I could actually only find an article about your Matt Booty quote which was pretty vague.

Didn't Grounded already release on Xbox One? Maybe it'll be out of early access in 2022.

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) is a XGS game that didn't launch on Xbox One tho. A cloud version is supposed to release this year.

Around 56M then

Another data point for consideration (though ultimately these are all just estimates, I believe):

Famitsu reported 49.89m as of November 2021, and I do recall seeing various folks throwing around "less than 50 million" at one point maybe a year ago (?), so somewhere between 50 and 55 million seems a safe bet.

Microsoft went from "we want the Xbox 360 to be like PS2 and have a long life" to dragging Old Yeller out back the instant the kids brought home a new puppy.

To their credit at least they have a somewhat affordable option on the market for people to buy.

I think it's amazing that the industry went from openly envying what Sony has with their long hardware legs to now dropping their legacy consoles the instant an opportunity presents itself.

Microsoft went from "we want the Xbox 360 to be like PS2 and have a long life" to dragging Old Yeller out back the instant the kids brought home a new puppy.

To their credit at least they have a somewhat affordable option on the market for people to buy.

I think it's amazing that the industry went from openly envying what Sony has with their long hardware legs to now dropping their legacy consoles the instant an opportunity presents itself.
Microsoft figured out a while ago that the Xbox One was not going to be a major hit. They had to take their medicine and prepare for the next generation. It shows because all indications are that the Series consoles are off to a great start.

It is just like with Nintendo. Granted they aren't known for supporting legacy consoles after new hardware is out, but once they realized the Wii-U was beyond saving they couldn't wait to drop that console. Hence why that system only lasted four and a half years.

Microsoft figured out a while ago that the Xbox One was not going to be a major hit. They had to take their medicine and prepare for the next generation. It shows because all indications are that the Series consoles are off to a great start.

It is just like with Nintendo. Granted they aren't known for supporting legacy consoles after new hardware is out, but once they realized the Wii-U was beyond saving they couldn't wait to drop that console. Hence why that system only lasted four and a half years.
Yes they were very forward thinking when it came to the hard pivot and so far it looks like it's working.

Nintendo tries to support their older legacy hardware if it was reasonably successful but despite their efforts the moment a new platform is out their old platforms die a grizzly death.

Yes they were very forward thinking when it came to the hard pivot and so far it looks like it's working.

Nintendo tries to support their older legacy hardware if it was reasonably successful but despite their efforts the moment a new platform is out their old platforms die a grizzly death.
To be fair Nintendo DID try to support the 3ds for another year or so after the Switch came out, and most of those games underperformed and were met with "why isn't this on switch" complaints. AlphaDream might still be in business if Nintendo had planned for M+L Remakes to be on Switch instead of 3DS

Last edited:
Maybe i remembered it wrong or was reading the wrong new sites back then but i thought they said all XGS games (for a certain period of time) will have Xbox One versions and later corrected/clarified they won't force their studios to do this. I could actually only find an article about your Matt Booty quote which was pretty vague.

Didn't Grounded already release on Xbox One? Maybe it'll be out of early access in 2022.

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) is a XGS game that didn't launch on Xbox One tho. A cloud version is supposed to release this year.
No, they didn't say all games. It was Matt who said Xbox One would get ganes for the "first year, two years" of Series lifetime. Some sites did turn that into "NO WAY!!! NO NEXT-GEN XBOX GAMES UNTIL 2023???!1!?!!! XBOX ONE HOLDING BACK XBOX IN THE FUTURE!!!!!!????" clickbait articles to get clicks so I don't blame you.

To be fait Nintendo DID try to support the 3ds for another year or so after the Switch came out, and most of those games underperformed and were met with "why isn't this on switch" complaints. AlphaDream might still be in business if Nintendo had planned for M+L Remakes to be on Switch instead of 3DS
Exactly. At the very least they should be cross gen. They saw supporting the older platform worked for PS2,DS and PSP but 3DS software sales died quicker than anticipated.

For Xbox the Smart Delivery approach is...smart. :p

Exactly. At the very least they should be cross gen. They saw supporting the older platform worked for PS2,DS and PSP but 3DS software sales died quicker than anticipated.

For Xbox the Smart Delivery approach is...smart. :p
In there defense, it was hard to know if the Switch would be take over that portable gaming device niche the 3ds had. It did, but I get them hedging their bets.

No, they didn't say all games. It was Matt who said Xbox One would get ganes for the "first year, two years" of Series lifetime. Some sites did turn that into "NO WAY!!! NO NEXT-GEN XBOX GAMES UNTIL 2023???!1!?!!! XBOX ONE HOLDING BACK XBOX IN THE FUTURE!!!!!!????" clickbait articles to get clicks so I don't blame you.

Turn off the CAPS LOCK

So Xboxone Sold around 55m in it's lifetime, neither great or a disaster. It would be interesting to know it's individual fiscal years, it's peak year was probably around 10m.

So Xboxone Sold around 55m in it's lifetime, neither great or a disaster. It would be interesting to know it's individual fiscal years, it's peak year was probably around 10m.

Does anyone have NPD XB1 yearly hardware sales? Should be pretty easy and accurate to do (US+UK)/0.66 to get worldwide estimates per year.

Roughly speaking:
PlayStation 2 - 155 million
PlayStation 4 - 116 million
Sony PlayStation - 102 million
Nintendo Wii - 101 million
Nintendo Switch - 92 million
PlayStation 3 - 87 million
Xbox 360 - 84 million
NES / Famicom - 62 million
Xbox One - 55 million
SNES / Super Famicom - 49 million
Nintendo 64 - 33 million
Sega Mega Drive / Genesis - 30 million
Atari 2600 - 30 million
Microsoft Xbox - 24 million
Nintendo GameCube - 21 million
Nintendo WiiU - 13 million
Sega Master System / Mark III - 10~13 million
NEC PC-Engine / Turbo Grafx-16 - 10 million
Sega Saturn - 9 million
Sega Dreamcast - 9 million
3DO Interactive Multiplayer - 2 million

Very middle of the road sales for a home console, all things considered.

Come on both of you, there are plenty of other ways to address any problem you would have with each other's post in a more cordial manner.
I apologize. I don't have any problem with him, though. It is true that the capitalized letters might have been unnecessary.

Roughly speaking:
PlayStation 2 - 155 million
PlayStation 4 - 116 million
Sony PlayStation - 102 million
Nintendo Wii - 101 million
Nintendo Switch - 92 million
PlayStation 3 - 87 million
Xbox 360 - 84 million
NES / Famicom - 62 million
Xbox One - 55 million
SNES / Super Famicom - 49 million
Nintendo 64 - 33 million
Sega Mega Drive / Genesis - 30 million
Atari 2600 - 30 million
Microsoft Xbox - 24 million
Nintendo GameCube - 21 million
Nintendo WiiU - 13 million
Sega Master System / Mark III - 10~13 million
NEC PC-Engine / Turbo Grafx-16 - 10 million
Sega Saturn - 9 million
Sega Dreamcast - 9 million
3DO Interactive Multiplayer - 2 million

Very middle of the road sales for a home console, all things considered.
I wonder how much of that was XboneX... Would be interesting to see how it stacked up against PS4 Pro!

In there defense, it was hard to know if the Switch would be take over that portable gaming device niche the 3ds had. It did, but I get them hedging their bets.
In terms of software DS died faster than 3DS too really. People forget how fast and far DS fell off EOL really, due to a confluence of things (R4 cards, iOS/Android rise, PSP resurgent in Japan). Nintendo didn't even support the system much post 3DS launch, they only had 4 1st party releases in the post 3DS window (5 with DSiWare) and 3 of them were from Pokemon Co.

They did a nice job course correcting, they had a $100 boat anchor bundled in for the first 12-18 months or so and there was nothing they could do about it, but they also had a huge hurdle undoing the PR damage that the Matrick regime did.

Pretty sure Kinect was debundle by Titanfall launch but at the latest summer 2014. X1 sales peaked it's second year. We'll see what this generation brings.

Google said june 9th, for some reason i thought they were locked into that manufacturing contract for a lot longer than that.
They still made Kinect bundles and a standalone version.
Just not a forced bundle anymore.
There was a Kinect Assassins Creed Bundle during the holidays 2014

Last edited:
In terms of software DS died faster than 3DS too really. People forget how fast and far DS fell off EOL really, due to a confluence of things (R4 cards, iOS/Android rise, PSP resurgent in Japan). Nintendo didn't even support the system much post 3DS launch, they only had 4 1st party releases in the post 3DS window (5 with DSiWare) and 3 of them were from Pokemon Co.
DS software was struggling between R4 and rise of mobile even before the 3DS hit the scene. I think curbing r4's impact on software sales was a big reason why Nintendo killed the DS so quickly.

They did a nice job course correcting, they had a $100 boat anchor bundled in for the first 12-18 months or so and there was nothing they could do about it, but they also had a huge hurdle undoing the PR damage that the Matrick regime did.

Well I'm not sure the course was corrected, rather the damage was minimised. Xbox lost out on arguable the most important generation for the platform business, where online spend, online play, network effects, exponentially rose. Losing the lead console platform in the US and UK, led to Playstation gathering 65-70% of all software sales globally between the two, which has pigeonholed them in the platform business.

Screen-Shot-2022-01-14-at-2-17-19-PM.png

Has anyone seen any good/well thought out analysis on the predicted BoM for the series s and X?

Back
Top Bottom