• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

The reasons and consequences of the decline of Playstation in Japan [UPDATE: New Guidelines]

The number of PlayStation hardware has been a topic of discussion for a while now.
 Putting aside the credibility of this figure, I have been thinking a lot about the PlayStation hardware from a developer's point of view for a while now, and when I get together with a group of people, we often talk about how "PlayStation is in trouble these days.

From a developer's point of view, the best thing would be for games to sell well on all hardware, but I honestly think, "Good luck, SIE! I'm rooting for you! However, it is true that the situation is so bad that it is impossible to say "I'm rooting for you! But I don't want to be negative. I want you to understand the struggle between these feelings.
 So, I would like to share one of my current thoughts on PlayStation.

Hard to develop

Nintendo has been allowing individual developers to register on their developer portal site for quite some time now, allowing them to buy development tools and release software, but PlayStation is still only open to corporations.
 This is just the beginning. Anyway, PlayStation's portal site (I'm going to blur out the details because I'm afraid I'll get caught under NDA) is not easy to use. As is well known, the core of SIE has moved to the U.S., so even major information is in English (*), and support is very slow and unresponsive, as if there is no coordination between departments when it comes to something a little more intrusive. The search function is poor, making it difficult to find the information you need, and the guidelines that must be followed at the time of release are strict, complex, and difficult to understand. I don't want to go so far as to say that this is the general consensus, but it is unanimously said that it is difficult to develop anyway. There are many other things like [NDA] is [NDA] or [NDA] is [NDA] and magi[NDA].
(*Posted: The wording has been changed as it seems to have been improved now. (*Addition: The wording has been changed as it seems to have been improved now.)

Game development environments have democratized rapidly in the last decade, so developers can easily compare the development environments of Nintendo Switch and Steam with those of PlayStation. The examples are carefully written, and the forums are available in Japanese (and the response time is fast!). Steam has a highly functional console with a one-stop shop for everything from store information to uploading builds, and the manuals are written in Japanese, although support is a bit limited.
Unlike large companies that have the resources and manpower to develop a PS version, small and medium-sized companies and indies are directly affected by this situation. Inevitably, the software lineup supplied for the PS will be exclusively that of the major companies. Especially overseas, there is also the option of XBOX instead of PS.

At one time, PS was very focused on indie games, and was the leader in Japan as well, with SIE (SCE) having a variety of indies in the TGS indie corner. However, the enthusiastic staff at that time was disbanded and became just drinking buddies (?), so the current situation is not so different ......

No sales.

No sales. Of course, there are variations depending on the situation, whether it is a AAA title or not, whether it is released on all platforms or not, but for example, if you release a PC version first, and later release a Switch version and a PS4/PS5 version, it will not sell very well. Moreover, development costs are, as mentioned above, PC << Switch <<< PS, so .......
 If you don't include PS in the initial release, they won't even pick it up! I sometimes hear stories like this, but I wonder if it would be a different story if it were a PS-only game. I'm looking for an expert.

From a developer's point of view, we can only see the numbers, so it's hard to say what the cause is... maybe it's because they rarely hold streaming events like Nintendo Direct or Indie World that users expect, or maybe it's because the store is hard to navigate and only big titles are sold, or maybe it's because they don't have a regular sale like Steam does. Or because there are no regular sale festivals like Steam. ......
 Or, as the data at the beginning of this article shows, it is convincing to say that PS market share is simply very low, and it is often said that the generational shift from PS4 to PS5 is failing. Whether the reason for this is the work of resellers, the lack of supply itself, or problems with exclusive titles is a mystery. ......

(Come to think of it, PS Plus has been quite successful as a subscription, but I haven't heard of any developers saying they had a great time with PS Plus. ......)

In the end, a platform that sells well even if it's insanely hard to develop for is justified. That's how consumers have made a living until now. Steamworks, Appstore Connect, and Google Play Console all know this, and they are all very focused on consoles.
 As game development becomes more democratized and individuals and teams become more powerful, the competition between platforms will become even fiercer. Compared to the past, the power relationship has completely reversed. I think this is the critical point.

PCs are encroaching on the market.

Japanese Steam users are growing rapidly, reaching record highs, and the culture of playing games on PCs is spreading in Japan - AUTOMATON
Valve has released its Steam Hardware & Software Survey for March 2022. Some of the data in it is causing a stir.

It's been talked about a bit, but the PC gamer population in Japan is growing like crazy, and the world is even more so. Eldenring's sales are mostly on PC (16.6 million units through August, but developers can use certain techniques to estimate Steam sales, so you can see the percentage).
 Until the 2010s, the trend was to just roll out multiple versions for PC, PS, and XBOX, but as development costs have skyrocketed, it has become "if the PC version sells the best and is the easiest to make, then why not just stick with PC". As developers at the end of the market start to release games mainly for the PC, users will also start to think, "Well, I'll just buy it for the PC since it has multiple versions anyway," and a negative spiral will begin. No, it has already started.

As for who will suffer from this trend, medium-sized companies that make A-AA titles for the Japanese market with graphics that do not work on the Switch will have no way to reach out to consumers. Simply put, they will die.
 Even though the number of PC users has exploded, consumers are still strong in Japan, and there are probably very few children (elementary to junior high school students) who play PC games in particular. If the same makers who used to make good old-fashioned consumer AA titles like the ones we played in the past were to make games in the same vein today, their sales channels would be extremely limited.

Just as "games that are popular on smartphones" have limited game design, I think this is a great loss for the game culture, where game styles are limited by the convenience of the platform. I think this is a great loss for the gaming culture. ......
 If the Switch had been a huge flop five years ago, I sometimes wonder if consumer games would have died out early because games for PCs and smartphones would have stopped selling.

Conclusion

The triple burden of difficulty in development, lack of sales, and being overwhelmed by PCs

Compared to Nintendo, which seems to be making strides, such as having their representatives come to visit at game events like Bitsummit and the Indie World initiative, they are physically and mentally distant from us. Where are they? Only "ex" SIE!

How should we compromise?

As I wrote at the beginning of this article, the most favorable environment for developers is a situation where "no matter what hardware we release our games on, they reach the fans of that hardware and sell well," but that doesn't mean that "we should do our best to rebuild SIE!" It's a business matter, and SIE has no choice but to work hard on its own.

So, I think we (developers) should share the sense of crisis that "this is what's happening". I am sure that this feeling will be heard. Will they reach us? But even if I told the support directly, "These guidelines are absurd," they didn't listen to me at all, did they? If you have any thoughts on this matter, please comment or DM me. (-> We received many. Thank you)
 And if you have any news, positive or otherwise, please speak up. The more positive the voices are, the healthier it will be.

By the way, I've heard from several sources that a (current) SIE person was at BitSummit recently, so SIE may already be taking action. Good luck with that. Also, please release a new ParappaRappa.

Very interesting if the translation is correct. It is good to see how PS Plus might be doing since we get no data. Interesting that developers feel the need to save a platform.
Also, I found the following sad - "As for who will suffer from this trend, medium-sized companies that make A-AA titles for the Japanese market with graphics that do not work on the Switch will have no way to reach out to consumers. Simply put, they will die."
So it seems perception among some Japanese developers is that even A-AA games may not work on Switch (?) (not "harder to optimize" but will just plain not work) I hope this is a translation issue. :-(

How I interpret that, is as time progresses so do improvements made to engines that ease burden and cost on developers to make their games look better graphically. And you can see this represented in generations, and these days it's hard to define what a mid-tier title actually looks like because there are some very graphically pretty games made on a small to mid-tier budget. I believe that is what they meant. And as more target PC for development, the middle can and will gradually shifts upwards graphically too with improvements to engines and if it shifts far enough outside of Switch's specs, it leaves the devs with no reach to the broader market because PlayStation's reach in japan is so poor, and Xbox just has no market whatsoever.

Also, I found the following sad - "As for who will suffer from this trend, medium-sized companies that make A-AA titles for the Japanese market with graphics that do not work on the Switch will have no way to reach out to consumers. Simply put, they will die."
So it seems perception among some Japanese developers is that even A-AA games may not work on Switch (?) (not "harder to optimize" but will just plain not work) I hope this is a translation issue. :-(

I understood it as if you're doing A-AA titles but not targeting the Switch, you will fail. Not that it won't work but if the developers choose to target the PS4 as baseline and are unable to port down, their game will not sell.

Last edited:
I think the point is A-AA developers who want to use cutting edge tech to make the best looking games graphically (that won't work on Switch) essentially have no market. They either have to use the old tech and make games that target Switch, which isn't a great way to retain top tier talent who're looking to grow/evolve with the industry, or make their games more appealing to a western market to make up the difference, which likely isn't viable for many A-AA Japanese franchises.

At the end of the day the choice is obvious, you have to target the platform that actually had a market buying your games to stay in business.

I think the point is A-AA developers who want to use cutting edge tech to make the best looking games graphically (that won't work on Switch) essentially have no market. They either have to use the old tech and make games that target Switch, which isn't a great way to retain top tier talent who're looking to grow/evolve with the industry, or make their games more appealing to a western market to make up the difference, which likely isn't viable for many A-AA Japanese franchises.

At the end of the day the choice is obvious, you have to target the platform that actually had a market buying your games to stay in business.
I am a software developer (not in games) but for me it is harder to squeeze out performance on old tech than just use the brute force route with new tech. So personaly I find it more interesting to get the most out of old tech

Well, with these interpretations I still find it kind of sad, since it seems to have become a problem for some developers only since Nintendo gained market dominance in Japan.

After all, PS was not the cutting edge tech in previous iterations, PC was, and yet almost all developed for PS. And as long as Vita existed many A-AA Japanese developers had no problem developing for Vita, cutting edge be damned.

So all in all, it seems that for some of those Japanese developers, their yearning or not yearning to use cutting edge tech depends on who dominates the market...

I don't know how many such developers exist, and some may be developing for Switch anyway, but would have been interesting to hear their thoughts once Drake comes out.

I read the original, and this is my interpretation of 「Switch では動かないグラフィックをしている、A~AA くらいの日本向けタイトルを作るような中堅企業がコンシューマにリーチする方法がなくなります。」"Mid-sized companies, the kind that make A~AA titles targeted at Japan, or the kind that make graphics that don't work on Switch are losing ways of reaching consumers".

So the 「、」 in Japanese has no fixed use rules, it is used to note a pause in speech. On reason someone might pause there is because they are signaling which noun the dependent clause is modifying. I believe the noun intended on being modified is "mid-sized companies" and there are two dependent clauses, "make graphics that don't work on Switch" and "make A~AA titles targeted at Japan". This is opposed to how deepL is translating it as "make graphics that don't work on Switch" is modifying "A~AA titles targeted at Japan". My solution was to use "or" and a substitute noun "the kind that" for "mid sized companies".

Feel free to disagree, but this is how I read it anyway.

I read the original, and this is my interpretation of 「Switch では動かないグラフィックをしている、A~AA くらいの日本向けタイトルを作るような中堅企業がコンシューマにリーチする方法がなくなります。」"Mid-sized companies, the kind that make A~AA titles targeted at Japan, or the kind that make graphics that don't work on Switch are losing ways of reaching consumers".

So the 「、」 in Japanese has no fixed use rules, it is used to note a pause in speech. On reason someone might pause there is because they are signaling which noun the dependent clause is modifying. I believe the noun intended on being modified is "mid-sized companies" and there are two dependent clauses, "make graphics that don't work on Switch" and "make A~AA titles targeted at Japan". This is opposed to how deepL is translating it as "make graphics that don't work on Switch" is modifying "A~AA titles targeted at Japan". My solution was to use "or" and a substitute noun "the kind that" for "mid sized companies".

Feel free to disagree, but this is how I read it anyway.
I know nothing about Japanese but reading the result, it does not entirely make sense to me. I get "the kind that make graphics that don't work on Switch", but why would "Mid-sized companies, the kind that make A~AA titles targeted at Japan" also be "losing ways of reaching consumers"?

I know nothing about Japanese but reading the result, it does not entirely make sense to me. I get "the kind that make graphics that don't work on Switch", but why would "Mid-sized companies, the kind that make A~AA titles targeted at Japan" also be "losing ways of reaching consumers"?
Sorry I probably could have chose a better word, it's getting late. That "or" was intended to be inclusive. Both dependent clauses are modifying "mid-size companies". They are making A~AA titles targeted at Japan and making graphics that don't work on Switch. Something to that effect. I didn't make the sentence, just interpreting it so I don't know what they had in mind.

That depends on what you would count as "marked differences" and what you wouldn't. Could you be more specific?

I do think the common perception over the years between handheld gaming and home system gaming is this: With a home system you get "better" games, i.e. not only better graphics and sound, but more content and possibly even gameplay that is not possible on a weaker handheld system. On the other hand, a portable system gives the advantage of portability and possibly affordability.

For me personally, I would consider Link's Awakening a clear step down from the quality of Link to the Past (an earlier entry). The graphics are worse, there is much less content, and I think the gameplay is worse too. Basically everything is worse. One the other hand if you compare DQ 11 on PS4 and Switch, they are basically the same game, but the Switch has slightly worse graphics.
Meant it as "fundamental differences".

Of course there are discernable differences between The Legend of Zelda on Famicom, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past on Super Famicom (Game Boy screen is monochromatic and at a lower resolution, background scrolling is present only in ALTTP whereas the other two has screen transition) but all 3 games shares the basic of 2D action adventure games ala Zelda.
Now if the comparison would be between Link's Awakening (or Oracles of Age) and Ocarina of Time then the two woud have been considered world apart experiences, with OoT being unfeasible on handheld console of the late '90s.
What I'm saying is that there was always a power gap between contemporary statitionary consoles and handheld consoles but the games on them had common roots (for handheld typically in prior home console generations).

This is in stark contrast with gaming on mobiles which developed around different use case (smartphones being a commodity always with you), control inputs (strictly touchscreen, often one hand) and earning model (F2P becoming quicly the dominant earning model).

so what yall saying is

save us, Drake

/s don't hurt me

though I can see that. development is moving in a new direction that new systems already support, even changing the rendering paradigm considerably (ray tracing, mesh shaders, upscaling tech). PS4 and Switch are holding the shift back, keeping with older rendering methodologies

Mid size company making A-AA game lose benefit with Nintendo Switch.
Something like
Senran kagura 7,Neptunia, Utawarerumoni , Rei no Kiseki, Valkyrie E,Star Ocean6,Soul Hacker2, etc. blablabla

I am a software developer (not in games) but for me it is harder to squeeze out performance on old tech than just use the brute force route with new tech. So personaly I find it more interesting to get the most out of old tech

This is actually how PC went from a crap gaming machine to beating out all the Home desktop and Microcomputer competition because the processing power jumped ahead so far the hardware could start bruteforcing better graphics and perfrmance, and when those early 90's graphical upgrades came in on top of that it was over for everything but sound. If you wanted to play Doom or even something like that 1991 F1 game from Microprose you would need a Falcon or a high thousand tier Amiga which would run them worse than a Falcon stock, and the latter wasn't consumer priced, and the former was discontinued quickly.

When you have more unified tech and power to work with, lots of old compromises or difficulties are reduced or gone.

This is actually how PC went from a crap gaming machine
Was PC ever a crap gaming machine? I remember tons and tons of c64 and DOS games in stores next to the NES and Game Boy games when I was a kid in the '80's and early '90's. I bought many of them even though I really wanted an NES. My dad wouldn't get me one, saying that the c64 was a useful tool while the NES was as waste of money since it was "just a toy."

The PC's and PC games of the time (late '80s/early 90s) were just geared towards adults since they were more expensive and the games were often more text heavy and more inventory/systems heavy. PC gamers of the time looked down on the NES in a not to dissimilar way to how certain segments of PS/Xbox/PC gamers of today look down on the Switch as being "casual." Cinematic games are modern versions of those old PC adventure games like Zork, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, and original Fallout. They sell well because PC gaming has always been popular and the PSeries X are dumbed down PC's that have controllers rather than a keyboard. They now market to the same demographic as PC's rather than the non-PC gamers of the expanded audience of NES, Game Boy, GBA, DS, Wii, and Switch. (there is a lot of crossover, don't get me wrong, I'm aware that The Legend of Zelda and Breath of the Wild are blends that have arcade gameplay in a CRPG game world, while Dark Souls is a PC hack and slash with direct arcade like controls but is still very systems heavy)

edit - did you mean from a hardware perspective? I guess I'm confused by what you mean by "crap gaming machine." Could you clarify what you mean? I initially thought you mean crap for the customer, but did you mean from the developers' point of view?

Last edited:
Was PC ever a crap gaming machine? I remember tons and tons of c64 and DOS games in stores next to the NES and Game Boy games when I was a kid in the '80's and early '90's. I bought many of them even though I really wanted an NES.
AFAIK, personal computers have always been the home of cutting edge graphics and long, story-driven games. However, it is important to note that most of the early market was dominated by Commodore computers, and not by IBM PC compatibles. In fact, the latter wouldn't have decent sound and graphics until the 90s, when the old beeper speakers were finally replaced by Sound blaster/Ad-lib cards and the ugly CGA graphics finally gave way to newer standards like EGA/VGA. Until then, PC compatibles were almost exclusively business and productivity machines.

I think this distinction is important because, though devices like the C64 / Amiga 500 were personal computers, they behaved like dedicated home consoles in certain ways. Those computers came with joysticks, cartridge ports, were compact and worked with any TV/Digital monitor. They were also competitively priced, closer to video game consoles than IBM PCs. For example, around 1985 it wasn't hard to get a C64 for $299, which is a price closer to the NES ($100) than a $1500-$2000 IBM PC, while having vastly better capabilities than the latter. Most of the people buying them would be gamers, looking to get the best versions of the games of the era. The Amiga in particular (launched in 1985) had graphics and sound years ahead of other devices of the era, to the point that home consoles wouldn't reach said quality until the end of the SNES-SFC generation, 10 years later.

All of this was to point out that the moment in time when PC was the most competitive with consoles was when PCs (including commodore machines) were the closest in price and design to consoles. In the current era, I feel like the opposite has happened. PS/Xbox have brought the design philosophy of console hardware and games closer than ever to PCs, while middle range PCs have dropped in price, closer to their cutting edge counterparts. Of course, this is not enough to ensure a total PC domination again, but it does ensure that Nintendo will keep the lower cost/mainstream market to itself, just like in the NES era. Because no matter how well the C64/Amiga sold, it never managed to make a dent on the NES/SNES domination during that era.

AFAIK, personal computers have always been the home of cutting edge graphics and long, story-driven games. However, it is important to note that most of the early market was dominated by Commodore computers, and not by IBM PC compatibles. In fact, the latter wouldn't have decent sound and graphics until the 90s, when the old beeper speakers were finally replaced by Sound blaster/Ad-lib cards and the ugly CGA graphics finally gave way to newer standards like EGA/VGA. Until then, PC compatibles were almost exclusively business and productivity machines.

I think this distinction is important because, though devices like the C64 / Amiga 500 were personal computers, they behaved like dedicated home consoles in certain ways. Those computers came with joysticks, cartridge ports, were compact and worked with any TV/Digital monitor. They were also competitively priced, closer to video game consoles than IBM PCs. For example, around 1985 it wasn't hard to get a C64 for $299, which is a price closer to the NES ($100) than a $1500-$2000 IBM PC, while having vastly better capabilities than the latter. Most of the people buying them would be gamers, looking to get the best versions of the games of the era. The Amiga in particular (launched in 1985) had graphics and sound years ahead of other devices of the era, to the point that home consoles wouldn't reach said quality until the end of the SNES-SFC generation, 10 years later.

All of this was to point out that the moment in time when PC was the most competitive with consoles was when PCs (including commodore machines) were the closest in price and design to consoles. In the current era, I feel like the opposite has happened. PS/Xbox have brought the design philosophy of console hardware and games closer than ever to PCs, while middle range PCs have dropped in price, closer to their cutting edge counterparts. Of course, this is not enough to ensure a total PC domination again, but it does ensure that Nintendo will keep the lower cost/mainstream market to itself, just like in the NES era. Because no matter how well the C64/Amiga sold, it never managed to make a dent on the NES/SNES domination during that era.
Agree with you, but the type of game is different. Understand this? The game of consoles ( Sega, Atari, Nintendo) came, in the majority, from arcades. This is the formation of home consoles and home consoles inspired the Personal computer aesthetic and not otherwise. Understand this point? The Pc games were a heavy text then involved before, and after adopting a big disc media originated the "cinematograph" predominant, Sony and Microsoft rise came in PC predominant of cinematograph games, so the heir of this feature. Microsft and Sony consoles have some features that remembers more of a casual Pc than an old-school videogame because of this heritage.

Did we know for sure Elden Ring led sales on PC before? I know it was confirmed for DS3 (roughly 2:1 over console iirc).

Regarding Elden Ring splits I made this post a while ago. I think it's all we have.

Regarding Japan, when they announced 1M sold PS should easily be the lead platform when taking in account shipments and even assuming a small digital ratio from what I recall. I doubt it sold that much on PC considering there's only ~3k reviews written in japanese of a total of ~500k on Steam, though there's always the possibility of japanese people writing their reviews in another language.

Obviously the comment from that dude shouldn't be taken as confirmation that PC is leading ER sales, even though that's probably a safe assumption to make considering Asia boost.

Microsft and Sony consoles have some features that remembers more of a casual Pc than an old-school videogame because of this heritage.
Well said as I've been trying to put this development into context.

The Switch is the only remaining video game device where you can just insert a cartridge, turn it on, then play. No hard drive, no downloading from the disk for hours before playing, no day 1 forced install patches over the internet. Just insert media and play game. The need to install software has made the PSeries machines more PC-like to me as far as a gaming experience. Some customers prefer one over the other and many others are indifferent.

Anyway, the PSeries machines now have more PC-like software. Madden and FIFA are now more about acquiring items (virtual cards) and applying their stats and using them to assemble a team rather than about a simplified version of a real sport with pick-up-and-play gameplay. Online FPS's like CoD, Halo, and Destiny came from PC LAN parties back in the '90's. Long single player games that are narrative heavy like God of War 2016 resemble Flashback more than Rygar or Shinobi.

In becoming more like PC's, are they now getting outcompeted by PC's? PC's have gotten easier to use and usually have better graphic settings and better control interface for long adventures and FPS's.

Mid size company making A-AA game lose benefit with Nintendo Switch.
Something like
Senran kagura 7,Neptunia, Utawarerumoni , Rei no Kiseki, Valkyrie E,Star Ocean6,Soul Hacker2, etc. blablabla
hey, maybe Senran Kagura 7 wanted to have ray traced life and hometown physics! switch surely couldn't handle that!

The number of PlayStation hardware has been a topic of discussion for a while now.
 Putting aside the credibility of this figure, I have been thinking a lot about the PlayStation hardware from a developer's point of view for a while now, and when I get together with a group of people, we often talk about how "PlayStation is in trouble these days.

From a developer's point of view, the best thing would be for games to sell well on all hardware, but I honestly think, "Good luck, SIE! I'm rooting for you! However, it is true that the situation is so bad that it is impossible to say "I'm rooting for you! But I don't want to be negative. I want you to understand the struggle between these feelings.
 So, I would like to share one of my current thoughts on PlayStation.

Hard to develop

Nintendo has been allowing individual developers to register on their developer portal site for quite some time now, allowing them to buy development tools and release software, but PlayStation is still only open to corporations.
 This is just the beginning. Anyway, PlayStation's portal site (I'm going to blur out the details because I'm afraid I'll get caught under NDA) is not easy to use. As is well known, the core of SIE has moved to the U.S., so even major information is in English (*), and support is very slow and unresponsive, as if there is no coordination between departments when it comes to something a little more intrusive. The search function is poor, making it difficult to find the information you need, and the guidelines that must be followed at the time of release are strict, complex, and difficult to understand. I don't want to go so far as to say that this is the general consensus, but it is unanimously said that it is difficult to develop anyway. There are many other things like [NDA] is [NDA] or [NDA] is [NDA] and magi[NDA].
(*Posted: The wording has been changed as it seems to have been improved now. (*Addition: The wording has been changed as it seems to have been improved now.)

Game development environments have democratized rapidly in the last decade, so developers can easily compare the development environments of Nintendo Switch and Steam with those of PlayStation. The examples are carefully written, and the forums are available in Japanese (and the response time is fast!). Steam has a highly functional console with a one-stop shop for everything from store information to uploading builds, and the manuals are written in Japanese, although support is a bit limited.
Unlike large companies that have the resources and manpower to develop a PS version, small and medium-sized companies and indies are directly affected by this situation. Inevitably, the software lineup supplied for the PS will be exclusively that of the major companies. Especially overseas, there is also the option of XBOX instead of PS.

At one time, PS was very focused on indie games, and was the leader in Japan as well, with SIE (SCE) having a variety of indies in the TGS indie corner. However, the enthusiastic staff at that time was disbanded and became just drinking buddies (?), so the current situation is not so different ......

No sales.

No sales. Of course, there are variations depending on the situation, whether it is a AAA title or not, whether it is released on all platforms or not, but for example, if you release a PC version first, and later release a Switch version and a PS4/PS5 version, it will not sell very well. Moreover, development costs are, as mentioned above, PC << Switch <<< PS, so .......
 If you don't include PS in the initial release, they won't even pick it up! I sometimes hear stories like this, but I wonder if it would be a different story if it were a PS-only game. I'm looking for an expert.

From a developer's point of view, we can only see the numbers, so it's hard to say what the cause is... maybe it's because they rarely hold streaming events like Nintendo Direct or Indie World that users expect, or maybe it's because the store is hard to navigate and only big titles are sold, or maybe it's because they don't have a regular sale like Steam does. Or because there are no regular sale festivals like Steam. ......
 Or, as the data at the beginning of this article shows, it is convincing to say that PS market share is simply very low, and it is often said that the generational shift from PS4 to PS5 is failing. Whether the reason for this is the work of resellers, the lack of supply itself, or problems with exclusive titles is a mystery. ......

(Come to think of it, PS Plus has been quite successful as a subscription, but I haven't heard of any developers saying they had a great time with PS Plus. ......)

In the end, a platform that sells well even if it's insanely hard to develop for is justified. That's how consumers have made a living until now. Steamworks, Appstore Connect, and Google Play Console all know this, and they are all very focused on consoles.
 As game development becomes more democratized and individuals and teams become more powerful, the competition between platforms will become even fiercer. Compared to the past, the power relationship has completely reversed. I think this is the critical point.

PCs are encroaching on the market.

Japanese Steam users are growing rapidly, reaching record highs, and the culture of playing games on PCs is spreading in Japan - AUTOMATON
Valve has released its Steam Hardware & Software Survey for March 2022. Some of the data in it is causing a stir.

It's been talked about a bit, but the PC gamer population in Japan is growing like crazy, and the world is even more so. Eldenring's sales are mostly on PC (16.6 million units through August, but developers can use certain techniques to estimate Steam sales, so you can see the percentage).
 Until the 2010s, the trend was to just roll out multiple versions for PC, PS, and XBOX, but as development costs have skyrocketed, it has become "if the PC version sells the best and is the easiest to make, then why not just stick with PC". As developers at the end of the market start to release games mainly for the PC, users will also start to think, "Well, I'll just buy it for the PC since it has multiple versions anyway," and a negative spiral will begin. No, it has already started.

As for who will suffer from this trend, medium-sized companies that make A-AA titles for the Japanese market with graphics that do not work on the Switch will have no way to reach out to consumers. Simply put, they will die.
 Even though the number of PC users has exploded, consumers are still strong in Japan, and there are probably very few children (elementary to junior high school students) who play PC games in particular. If the same makers who used to make good old-fashioned consumer AA titles like the ones we played in the past were to make games in the same vein today, their sales channels would be extremely limited.

Just as "games that are popular on smartphones" have limited game design, I think this is a great loss for the game culture, where game styles are limited by the convenience of the platform. I think this is a great loss for the gaming culture. ......
 If the Switch had been a huge flop five years ago, I sometimes wonder if consumer games would have died out early because games for PCs and smartphones would have stopped selling.

Conclusion

The triple burden of difficulty in development, lack of sales, and being overwhelmed by PCs

Compared to Nintendo, which seems to be making strides, such as having their representatives come to visit at game events like Bitsummit and the Indie World initiative, they are physically and mentally distant from us. Where are they? Only "ex" SIE!

How should we compromise?

As I wrote at the beginning of this article, the most favorable environment for developers is a situation where "no matter what hardware we release our games on, they reach the fans of that hardware and sell well," but that doesn't mean that "we should do our best to rebuild SIE!" It's a business matter, and SIE has no choice but to work hard on its own.

So, I think we (developers) should share the sense of crisis that "this is what's happening". I am sure that this feeling will be heard. Will they reach us? But even if I told the support directly, "These guidelines are absurd," they didn't listen to me at all, did they? If you have any thoughts on this matter, please comment or DM me. (-> We received many. Thank you)
 And if you have any news, positive or otherwise, please speak up. The more positive the voices are, the healthier it will be.

By the way, I've heard from several sources that a (current) SIE person was at BitSummit recently, so SIE may already be taking action. Good luck with that. Also, please release a new ParappaRappa.

Very interesting if the translation is correct. It is good to see how PS Plus might be doing since we get no data. Interesting that developers feel the need to save a platform.

We got data from Sony themselves. Online games are 54% of total playtime, Japan is number 1 in per user spend in F2P games and number 2 in per user spend on PS Store.

In becoming more like PC's, are they now getting outcompeted by PC's? PC's have gotten easier to use and usually have better graphic settings and better control interface for long adventures and FPS's.

Even in price, at least for entry-middle range PCs and gaming laptops, who are at the same level of performance or close enough to PS5/XSeries, and that might as well be a better deal for people who want to get a device that is not exclusive for gaming. The closer both consoles get to PCs, the easier for them to lose ground to PC, especially because most exclusives from both are coming to PC aswell.

Was PC ever a crap gaming machine?

You weren't playing most 80s and early 90s impressive games from other brands on a PC or Apple. There were a few developers that were trying to push some impressive graphics on PC but they were limited and only got better in the late 80s. This is why Kings Quest and Apogee were at the top of the gaming chain on PC, especially once shareware started to come into play. But by Ultima Underworld the PC was able to do a lot more and now you can improve the video capabilities of the machine without breaking the bank. That's when PC took over and everyone else had no hope of catching up.

I think the biggest fool in this regard was Commodore, who's follow up was the AGA chipset which started rapidly falling behind, and even if it didn't, they didn't make is a ecosystem wide standard for Amiga users so many developers just avoided it or implemented marginal improvements to their production software or games.

Atari was a close second because the Falcon could have actually worked with support, but Atariafter they put THEMSELVES in a position where they had to rely on one product to survive, they chose the Jaguar game console instead which I think was a big mistake.

The others basically made irrelevant by 1991 as the PC could even emulate some of them and they were all terrible machines regarding processing capability. They were only for simple apps, games, or audio and video projects which is why many businesses, small organizations, and enthusiasts never took them seriously which is why IBM dominated even before the PC could produce competing games under DOS. Once those advantages were gone it was time to hang the towel.

Cinematic games are modern versions of those old PC adventure games like Zork, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, and original Fallout.

Actually many PC games that would become popular later came from those old computer games from other companies, including the Apple II, which started out strong but then fell behind the other brands for gaming.

The Amiga was going to be a console and actually had the hardware for it, and several other companies also excelled in entertainment applications in the areas I mentioned above. It, and the prices were what kept those alternatives alive. When it came time to adapt they all messed up within the same 3 year period. Strangely, Apple managed to survive longer than the rest but almost kicked the bucket too until their software, education market, and later ipods got them to where they are now. People can go after Steve jobs if they want but he did turn things around. He never got Apple to be competitive in desktops though, Mac ended up an enthusiast and video editing machine but was useful in education. These days, I'm not sure what the Mac is for with Chromebooks taking away the cheap crowd and biting into education, and Windows finally having good entry-level machines a higher business support.

edit - did you mean from a hardware perspective? I guess I'm confused by what you mean by "crap gaming machine." Could you clarify what you mean? I initially thought you mean crap for the customer, but did you mean from the developers' point of view?

Yes, where you cut the quote4 off I said that they ended up beating the competition because of processing power. I wanted to illustrate the other posters example of it being easier to brute force with poerful unified hardware, than trying to use 15 tools to squeeze juice out of a dry lemon.

PC's had games too but they were usually far behind the best of what other brands could offer and the other brands were also cheaper. Maxwell, Radioshack, Commodore, Atari, Exidy, Timex, Texas Instruments, Coleco, Mattel, and others were all experiencing popularity in the 70's and 80s because they were cheap computers that could be sued with a monitor or TV that allowed you to use software, connected to networks, and play games. it was the age of the affordable computer.

But by the middle of the 80s the growing sentiment these computers were useless as tools for real processing or serious work reached new heights and IBM controlled most of the market outside of entry-level and entertainment. The Apple computers were at the time the only ones trying to compete with IBM on not having what was seen as devalued hardware for less, that was only good for games or programs that weren't complex. Radioshack later also tried, and Atari with the ST came close but failed. Commodore had ruined their chances to be seen as anything more than a cheap toy with the C64, the C128 was laughed at, and the Amiga wasn't even considered competition. Amiga was marketed as a very powerful machine and it was but it wasn't for complex applications that required hardcore processing.

All these advantages that the other computers had had, which were leading in technology before were wiped clean off the map once IBM compatibles had strong enough hardware to produce quality graphics without all the difficult and frustratingly restrictive hardware the other computers had. You could add better sound hardware, video hardware, and the costs were lowered. You could now run modern games with a computer you got two years before without having to buy a new model and knowing that the industry would support you with different types of cards, accessories, and and expansions to make your hardware better. It was no longer economically feasible to buy anything else without adapting an the only way any other company could do that was to unify their architecture, open up support to 3rd parties, and create hardware that allowed for expansion.

So when that didn't happen in the grave they went. Yes some people also blame Microsoft strong-arming DOS but that was a consequence of IBM compatibles dominating, not why the other brands ended up dead.

Actually I think you could get a C64 for less than that, they raised the prices but I think $299 was 128 rage. Just a bit over a year before you could have gotten a C64 for $99 due to Commodores declared price war which was admitted as an attempt to cause every other competitor to keel over. The ACTUAL caused of the video game crash since video game consoles ended up costing more, so they had to cut the price of their hardware and software and this was apparent in the articles of the time talking about how companies were selling but not making money, not all this new stuff about E.T. and such.

When you can have the best games out there a computer that matched or cost less than a video game console would kill the video game console.

Imagine if a PC with specs better than the XBS or PS5 was sold for $299 in a compact casing and promoted as a game console alternative? You know how many people would pick that up? lol you know Microsoft and Sony would be having board meetings about whether they should cut the price the gam consoles only reason for existing is because it offers and easier and cheaper way to have video games on a TV. Now, consoles as was said by another user are very close to just being PC's, but they still have enough advantages and restrictions that make them consoles, for now.

Actually if you were cheaper than a PC back then you generally weren't referred to as a PC, that's how the market was split up, you either got a PC, or you were a game machine or struggling to fit in between and game machine was not what you wanted your computer to be called.

I think you're giving the C64 too much credit here as well, outselling a console wasn't even possible with the Atari which sold by 1985 24M units. The C64 was still selling because it was a cheap gaming computer that could also be a cool visual tool for the demoscene but that had been true for years. By the time the NES cemented its domination in 1988 in the US Commodore had been trying to kill the C64 and replace it for some time. C64 selling 17 million worldwide was an abnormally large number for the affordable computer market to sell, and that still wasn't enough to catch up to the sales of ONE console. it did make a dent in NES marketshare early on in 1986 in the US and a few years in Europe due to the preference for computers, but that affordable computer boom couldn't last without prices going up and the console would always benefit when computer prices rise.

It's one of the reasons why the consoles we have today are still consoles instead of just branded PC's, although they are getting closer and closer.

If someone found a way to make a compact PC with a Titan in it and 20 GBS of RAM for $399 it would be over, but that's not going to happen.

Agree with you, but the type of game is different. Understand this? The game of consoles ( Sega, Atari, Nintendo) came, in the majority, from arcades. This is the formation of home consoles and home consoles inspired the Personal computer aesthetic and not otherwise. Understand this point? The Pc games were a heavy text then involved before, and after adopting a big disc media originated the "cinematograph" predominant, Sony and Microsoft rise came in PC predominant of cinematograph games, so the heir of this feature. Microsft and Sony consoles have some features that remembers more of a casual Pc than an old-school videogame because of this heritage.

Actually early computers, not IBMS or precursors, had their software come from arcades too. The Atari 8-bit line was made to have the capabilities to be arcade perfect and beyond. It was supposed to be a console but ended up being a computer same with the Vic-20 later. It launched with a 3D vector game called Star Raiders which wasn't seen as possible at the time.

The Apple's, and the IBM's more about processing, and using software that required a lot of power. Stuff like calculators, spread sheets, and productivity software like word processing is taken for granted now but that shit required a powerful processing device to do back in the day.

The split between the Atari, Commodore, Exidy computers that came from the arcades and the split between the IBM, Apple, Radio-Shack computers is more inline with the split you are thinking of.

I do think there was a second split after 1990, with the arcade derived computer dying and the industry being dominated by IBM and Apple, it looks like we are seeing consoles land in that camp today. not the Atari, Commodore camp from yesteryear.

Although i do believe the Switch has a game or too that forces updates iirc.

Even in price, at least for entry-middle range PCs and gaming laptops, who are at the same level of performance or close enough to PS5/XSeries,

ENTTY-middle range PC's? I don't think so, the Series X has to be closed to a 3060 and the PS5 should only be slightly behind it. Those Pc's would probably match the PS4 Pro at best with checkerboard 4K with possibly a frame rate of 60fps.

Japan had a large and diverse computer gaming market in the 1980s. NEC, Sharp, Fujitsu, MSX, etc. Platforms like X68000 or FM Towns were top of the line visually, holding their own against arcades and obliterating consoles at the time.

PlayStation's origins partly come from that even (SEL's hitbit MSX line that led to the hardware partnership with Nintendo, SME's MSX software publishing biz that eventually became CBS/epic/Imagesoft and then spawned Polys, the partnership and eventual acquisition of Exact).

Japan had a large and diverse computer gaming market in the 1980s. NEC, Sharp, Fujitsu, MSX, etc. Platforms like X68000 or FM Towns were top of the line visually, holding their own against arcades and obliterating consoles at the time.

PlayStation's origins partly come from that even (SEL's hitbit MSX line that led to the hardware partnership with Nintendo, SME's MSX software publishing biz that eventually became CBS/epic/Imagesoft and then spawned Polys, the partnership and eventual acquisition of Exact).

Thing about the 80's Japanese computers is that they were in the PC linage than the Commodore linage. The MSX was sponsored by Microsoft even, and while the hardware almost matches the Colecovision the MSX was supposed to be a serious entrant.

Marketing also became a tell, the serious computers looked like this:
220px-NEC_PC-8801.jpg

220px-Ibm_pcjr_with_display.jpg

Where as the other computers that weren't seen as serious usually marketed like this:
220px-Commodore-64-Computer-FL.jpg

220px-Exidy_Sorcerer_%28retouch%29.jpg

Commodore and others did try to break this trend with some marketing having it look like a professional computer but still often it was marketed like the above as well. Some of the coverage fo these computers also would pick out images that made the other brands look "lesser" than an Apple or an PC compatible.

Most Japanese computers marketed like the above in the 80s, Nec, Sharp and so on.

Thing about the 80's Japanese computers is that they were in the PC linage than the Commodore linage. The MSX was sponsored by Microsoft even, and while the hardware almost matches the Colecovision the MSX was supposed to be a serious entrant.

Marketing also became a tell, the serious computers looked like this:
220px-NEC_PC-8801.jpg

220px-Ibm_pcjr_with_display.jpg

Where as the other computers that weren't seen as serious usually marketed like this:
220px-Commodore-64-Computer-FL.jpg

220px-Exidy_Sorcerer_%28retouch%29.jpg

Commodore and others did try to break this trend with some marketing having it look like a professional computer but still often it was marketed like the above as well. Some of the coverage fo these computers also would pick out images that made the other brands look "lesser" than an Apple or an PC compatible.

Most Japanese computers marketed like the above in the 80s, Nec, Sharp and so on.
NEC (with the 8000, 8800 and 9800 series) was basically the IBM in Japan. They were absolutely not equivalent to the C64 or Exidy micoms, nor really were the major efforts from Sharp or Fujitsu (or Toshiba in the early years). The only major vendor that might qualify for what you're talking about is probably the MSX standard (with Matsushita, Sony and Sanyo being the major manufacturers) but even then this "serious PC" divide you're imparting is largely from a western lens. Like the handheld/home console divide you keep pushing in the MC threads, it's pretty much irrelevant within the actual region we're talking about.

Last edited:
NEC (with the 8000, 8800 and 9800 series) was basically the IBM in Japan. They were absolutely not equivalent to the C64 or Exidy micoms, nor really were the major efforts from Sharp or Fujitsu (or Toshiba in the early years). The only major vendor that might qualify for what you're talking about is probably the MSX standard (with Matsushita, Sony and Sanyo being the major manufacturers) but even then this "serious PC" divide you're imparting is largely from a western lens. Like the handheld/home console divide you keep pushing in the MC threads, it's pretty much irrelevant within the actual region we're talking about.

Except it's not irrelevant for either because history doesn't vanish.

The serious computer divide was in Japan, that's why all the attempts to sell such brands in japan failed because all the big names were competing with PC in terms of processing, serious work, and intensive software (which required a strong CPU). All of these computers were trying to grab the same market, they weren't trying to be entertainment. The ones that were good for it (like some Sharp models) were niche.

None of the microcoms or the cheap desktops made a dent in Japan as they were all seen as pointless devices that couldn't get anything done. The Japanese cheaper computers that would take that space were trying to be more than a budget computer, but a cheaper way to do the same work and run similar programs as the big boys. There wasn't a Commodore or ZX spectrum style boom in japan for this reason.

However, like the affordable computer boom, all of Japanese PC's died off once IBM compatibles came in with their unified and expandable architecture, and their external software and hardware support. The Japanese computers were also restrictive and lacking continuous hardware as the Amigas and contemporaries, tough for some brands not as badly. The Japanese companies for their later models made several of the same or similar boneheaded decisions too.

What's interesting is the Japanese market started falling earlier than in America and Europe, and was taken over first. Europe was last. Difference is the companies themselves were diversified and didn't die so even with low sales, NEC and others still sold their computers even n a market they couldn't dominate anymore, while the American companies almost ALL folded except Apple, or abandoned computers entirely. Same with Europe.

Fujitsu even mimicked Commodore with the game console attempt to increase the relevancy of their computers and the company. Which failed, and yet Fujitsu still lives today. Different from Commodore and several others.

Except it's not irrelevant for either because history doesn't vanish.

The serious computer divide was in Japan, that's why all the attempts to sell such brands in japan failed because all the big names were competing with PC in terms of processing, serious work, and intensive software (which required a strong CPU). All of these computers were trying to grab the same market, they weren't trying to be entertainment. The ones that were good for it (like some Sharp models) were niche.

None of the microcoms or the cheap desktops made a dent in Japan as they were all seen as pointless devices that couldn't get anything done. The Japanese cheaper computers that would take that space were trying to be more than a budget computer, but a cheaper way to do the same work and run similar programs as the big boys. There wasn't a Commodore or ZX spectrum style boom in japan for this reason.

However, like the affordable computer boom, all of Japanese PC's died off once IBM compatibles came in with their unified and expandable architecture, and their external software and hardware support. The Japanese computers were also restrictive and lacking continuous hardware as the Amigas and contemporaries, tough for some brands not as badly. The Japanese companies for their later models made several of the same or similar boneheaded decisions too.

What's interesting is the Japanese market started falling earlier than in America and Europe, and was taken over first. Europe was last. Difference is the companies themselves were diversified and didn't die so even with low sales, NEC and others still sold their computers even n a market they couldn't dominate anymore, while the American companies almost ALL folded except Apple, or abandoned computers entirely. Same with Europe.

Fujitsu even mimicked Commodore with the game console attempt to increase the relevancy of their computers and the company. Which failed, and yet Fujitsu still lives today. Different from Commodore and several others.
What are you talking about? The western roadblock to Japan (and Asia in general) computing was due almost entirely to language. Readable kanji (and other non-Romanized text) was the lone impediment, which is also why the East generally leapfrogged the west when it came to screen technology. They just needed higher resolutions and somewhat more capable chips and storage for facilitating readable text with Asian characters. This only changed in the mid 1990s due to a confluence of the bubble economy having fully burst, Windows 95 overcoming previous language barriers and global networks driving it's unification.

Honestly your whole post reads like fabricated contecture based on no real historical record. Like in what alternate timeline was Fujitsu influenced by Commodore, lol?!

Speaking of Playstation origins, Sony had helped Philips launch a new media format with their multimedia and gaming system The Intelligent Discman with two models. Seems they used the disc drive tech in part from their optional Computer disc drives for it, but made adjustments to fit the CD-i standard.

Also can be used as a portable with build in screen (like Psone) with its own buttons. Though the face buttons are on the left side instead of the right, which is where the directional pad is. You get used to it ut it's weird.

重大なパソコンが重いようですよ。
Sorry, I read it several times, and tried to understand what was being said, but was unable to make heads or tails of it.
Japan has a unique history of personal computers that split into パソコン、ワープロ、 and 家庭用ゲーム機 fairly early on.

https://museum.ipsj.or.jp/en/computer/personal/index.html here is a brief history of persona computers in Japan according to 情報処理学会コンピュータ博物館 who are authorities on the topic. Please look at it before making statements about the history of computing in Japan, as it is easy to get local, global, and regional histories mixed up.

BTW パナファコム (now PFU currently owned by RICOH) still makes the best keyboards 45 years later.

Like in what alternate timeline was Fujitsu influenced by Commodore, lol?!

I never said that Commodore was influenced by Commodore.

Honestly your whole post reads like fabricated contecture based on no real historical record.

Contecture?

The western roadblock to Japan (and Asia in general) computing was due almost entirely to language.

Computers with limited or no Kanji support domestically did better than any western attempt in Japan. The western support that did do well regardless of Kanji in comparison to the micoms were what were viewed as serious computers, which is why Apple had a platform there and it was good enough for several partnerships early on BEFORE they released Katakana compatibility.

You are downplaying a very important issue that's shared across the US and Japan about "toy" gaming machines that doesn't make any sense. The Vic-20 was a modest success for Commodore in Japan because it was early but was quickly sniffed out by the domestic competition because it wasn't a serious machine. Games were made for Japanese computers but they were like IBMs and were not the focus.

Any computer that advertised as a gaming machine or some artistic endeavor was not received the same way to a strong CPU word processor or spread sheet cruncher. It's why all those computers were not widely adopted by businesses in Japan, and the consumers that brought the retail level models were enthusiast are those that were in entertainment, art, or music. It's literally a MIRROR to IBMS in the US.

Fujitsu, NEC, they were not Amigas, and even you admitted that but misread what I said and though i mentioned there were Amiga equals in japan, even though I clearly said they were not. These computers were beaten by PC for the same reasons the micoms died in the US even though they themselves were trying to be serious computers, once there was an expandable, upgradable, well supported option that provided several new standards instead of fragmentation the Japanese moved on to PC compatibles like the US.

Commodore isn't the only failure there with the Amiga, Atari failed too and others, they were marketed as powerful machines that could do animation, games, graphical software, music, and demos. There's a market for that, in fact several schools focusing on those areas in Japan had Amigas, a Japanese TV show was made on them, the creator of D made the FMV's with them, The guy Ueda, who made ICO and Shadow Colossus, ended up getting into the gaming industry through the Amiga.

The problem is they couldn't do what the serious computers could do making such machines looked down upon, that was always the problem. A coco or ST wasn't going to out process a PC or an NEC (which had models that fell under the PC clone category)

NEC's PC98VM released in 85 was faster and better at processing than the Amiga 1000 released the same year despite not having the graphical chops of the later. By 1988 NEC had widened the gap by almost double. By the released of the Amiga 1200 in 1992, NEC was about 3 years ahead with quick processing and quick loading, double the memory, almost double the speed, more flexible chipset, and just the next year in 1993, used a Pentium, which Amiga could not compete with.

That's just the surface specs, things get worse when you examine the Amigas internal hardware, how it's parts work together or not) expandability, and so forth. By 1992 Amiga wasn't even an affordable gaming machine anymore, it was starting to lose badly to PC and was falling behind 2D consoles.

These computers always had a weakness compared to a proper PC or PC "clone" or a serious business computer and they never adapted to fix that weakness, which ended up being the death of them.

"It seems that serious personal computers are heavy"
Seeing you use the word serious computer so many times made me think of 重大なパソコン, which is nonsensical in Japanese, but sounds as if it would be slow. 重大(serious, as in gravitas) and 重い(heavy, but in the context of computers slow) both use the character 重.

I need to learn to be better with my words it seems. What I intended to mean was that I had read what you wrote several times, and while even though I had tried to understand what you were trying to say, but I was unable to do so. I highly recommend viewing that link to anyone who wishes to get a better view of how Personal Computers evolved in Japan.

Without context, I'd have understood 重大なパソコン as "gaming PC" aka a "serious PC" where "serious" is to mean that someone went all-in with that PC. And such PCs tend to be, physically, heavy. Ofc, I haven't read that article of yours, KtSlime.

Interesting that there's such a distinct PC history in Japan, didn't know the term ワープロ.

I never said that Commodore was influenced by Commodore.

Contecture?
Conjecture. Just a simple spelling mistake, I'm more surprised you couldn't discern it? I mean you just wrote "Commodore was influenced by Commodore" but it's not exactly hard to follow what you really meant.

Computers with limited or no Kanji support domestically did better than any western attempt in Japan. The western support that did do well regardless of Kanji in comparison to the micoms were what were viewed as serious computers, which is why Apple had a platform there and it was good enough for several partnerships early on BEFORE they released Katakana compatibility.

You are downplaying a very important issue that's shared across the US and Japan about "toy" gaming machines that doesn't make any sense. The Vic-20 was a modest success for Commodore in Japan because it was early but was quickly sniffed out by the domestic competition because it wasn't a serious machine. Games were made for Japanese computers but they were like IBMs and were not the focus.

Any computer that advertised as a gaming machine or some artistic endeavor was not received the same way to a strong CPU word processor or spread sheet cruncher. It's why all those computers were not widely adopted by businesses in Japan, and the consumers that brought the retail level models were enthusiast are those that were in entertainment, art, or music. It's literally a MIRROR to IBMS in the US.

Fujitsu, NEC, they were not Amigas, and even you admitted that but misread what I said and though i mentioned there were Amiga equals in japan, even though I clearly said they were not. These computers were beaten by PC for the same reasons the micoms died in the US even though they themselves were trying to be serious computers, once there was an expandable, upgradable, well supported option that provided several new standards instead of fragmentation the Japanese moved on to PC compatibles like the US.

Commodore isn't the only failure there with the Amiga, Atari failed too and others, they were marketed as powerful machines that could do animation, games, graphical software, music, and demos. There's a market for that, in fact several schools focusing on those areas in Japan had Amigas, a Japanese TV show was made on them, the creator of D made the FMV's with them, The guy Ueda, who made ICO and Shadow Colossus, ended up getting into the gaming industry through the Amiga.

The problem is they couldn't do what the serious computers could do making such machines looked down upon, that was always the problem. A coco or ST wasn't going to out process a PC or an NEC (which had models that fell under the PC clone category)

NEC's PC98VM released in 85 was faster and better at processing than the Amiga 1000 released the same year despite not having the graphical chops of the later. By 1988 NEC had widened the gap by almost double. By the released of the Amiga 1200 in 1992, NEC was about 3 years ahead with quick processing and quick loading, double the memory, almost double the speed, more flexible chipset, and just the next year in 1993, used a Pentium, which Amiga could not compete with.

That's just the surface specs, things get worse when you examine the Amigas internal hardware, how it's parts work together or not) expandability, and so forth. By 1992 Amiga wasn't even an affordable gaming machine anymore, it was starting to lose badly to PC and was falling behind 2D consoles.

These computers always had a weakness compared to a proper PC or PC "clone" or a serious business computer and they never adapted to fix that weakness, which ended up being the death of them.
Oof, this wall of text. I'm not going to dig into everything but very quickly, before NEC's PC-8801 the Japanese computer market was largely a tiny hobbyist enterprise. Kata-Kanji support with the 8801 basically changed that and it was also targeted at and equally successful in business, which to that point had mostly relied on word processors. And real quick we got Sharp (X1 series) and Fujitsu (FM-7) joining them in dominating this rapidly expanding business + consumer market.

You're right the VIC-20 (VIC-1001 there) did relatively well it's first couple years but it was actually also co-designed in Japan (and launched first in Japan) and even then, we're talking lifetime sales under 50k iirc (versus 2.5m global). And the follow ups in 64 and MAX (also co-designed in Japan) completely flopped (mostly at the hands of MSX, which really took over the hobbyist/gaming micom space and sold a crazy 6-7m in the end between all models in Japan). Still the VIC-20 was notable within it's short window and is also notably where HAL Labs (and Iwata) got their start.

When Japan's insular PC market did decline in the mid 90s it was because of the reasons I stated before. The bubble economy of the 80s bursting with the following Lost Decade(s) and the powerful new 32bit consoles drew away a lot of consumers and you saw many of the remaining stalwart PC devs finally make the move over (Microcabin, Exact, Zoom, etc), while business was driven by globalization and the unification we saw Windows95 and the growing internet bringing world wide. It was wasn't so much that cheap IBM clones drove them out, in fact firms like NEC and Fujitsu were still the ones putting out popular Windows PCs and even incorporated compatibility in some of their final models in their proprietary lines (PC-98, FM TOWNS). IBM had also solved the Kanji issue in DOS/V by 1990, but those machines weren't able to gain the foothold needed until W95, which is when the transition really happened. It also decimated Apple in Japan, who at a very impressive 15% marketshare was their top region globally (US was 2nd with 8% at that time in 1995).

Commodore MAX is a very important part of video game history in Japan. It's also the basis for the best selling home computer of all time, the C64! This is despite being a complete failure and a very boneheaded decision by Commodore, the first of many.

Also the way to tell serious business computers from game consoles with BASIC is pretty simple. Did it have a cartridge port? It's a game console. There's a couple of exceptions with microcomputers so cheap that they didn't even have one of those but those were also more or less game consoles you could maybe do a spreadsheet or a word processor document on.

Looks like Playstation might be remaking Horizon Zero Dawn (already?). They are also making a battle royal GAAS in the Horizon Universe. I don‘t think this will move the needle in Japan. I think this will further the slide in Japan as those resources won’t be used on software that moves the needle in Japan.

Looks like Playstation might be remaking Horizon Zero Dawn (already?). They are also making a battle royal GAAS in the Horizon Universe. I don‘t think this will move the needle in Japan. I think this will further the slide in Japan as those resources won’t be used on software that moves the needle in Japan.
They would actually have to care about the Japanese market outside of just farming it for a handful of franchises first. Without that mentality changing anything they do here onwards will continue their trajectory in JP.

Interesting that there's such a distinct PC history in Japan, didn't know the term ワープロ.

Word processing was know joke and to match the best you needed some serious hardware.

It's kind of like those 70s computers that could fit in a basic calculator in the 90s. Event the storefront ones they had next tot he registers were as big as a 90's computer tower. It's crazy how quick computers upgraded and shrunk over time.

Conjecture. Just a simple spelling mistake, I'm more surprised you couldn't discern it? I mean you just wrote "Commodore was influenced by Commodore" but it's not exactly hard to follow what you really meant.

No I didn't, you can't leve out the part where I said "I never said"/

You're right the VIC-20 (VIC-1001 there) did relatively well it's first couple years but it was actually also co-designed in Japan (and launched first in Japan) and even then, we're talking lifetime sales under 50k iirc (versus 2.5m global). And the follow ups in 64 and MAX (also co-designed in Japan) completely flopped (mostly at the hands of MSX, which really took over the hobbyist/gaming micom space and sold a crazy 6-7m in the end between all models in Japan). Still the VIC-20 was notable within it's short window and is also notably where HAL Labs (and Iwata) got their start.

When Japan's insular PC market did decline in the mid 90s it was because of the reasons I stated before. The bubble economy of the 80s bursting with the following Lost Decade(s) and the powerful new 32bit consoles drew away a lot of consumers and you saw many of the remaining stalwart PC devs finally make the move over (Microcabin, Exact, Zoom, etc), while business was driven by globalization and the unification we saw Windows95 and the growing internet bringing world wide. It was wasn't so much that cheap IBM clones drove them out, in fact firms like NEC and Fujitsu were still the ones putting out popular Windows PCs and even incorporated compatibility in some of their final models in their proprietary lines (PC-98, FM TOWNS). IBM had also solved the Kanji issue in DOS/V by 1990, but those machines weren't able to gain the foothold needed until W95, which is when the transition really happened. It also decimated Apple in Japan, who at a very impressive 15% marketshare was their top region globally (US was 2nd with 8% at that time in 1995).

You are forgetting about the point, which is micros had no chance in japan because they weren't seen as serious computers for word processing, or processer intense software and tasks. You're point about the Japanese manufactures trying to beat PC clones tot he punch proves my point they never had an affordable entertainment and are computer boom like the US and Europe.

Atari, Commodore, or others had no chance in Japan unless they were for art or graphical schools for non-intensive tasks that required the hardware for serious applications as well, Apple was the only one to really do it at a good price which is why they had marketshare.

The Voc-20 did well in japan but it was early in the 70's and the domestic scene in Japan was just getting its footing. once the were established, the Max and C64 could have been the best gaming machines japan wold ever see and they still wouldn't have sold many computers there. Japan was in the same position as the IBM/Apple users in Japan, the difference is in Japan it was pretty much the entire market, where the affordable entry and premium brands were competing with the "serious" brands in the US for several years until the closed designs and bad decisions destroyed them. That was absent in Japan. In Europe those computers had even more dominance than the US though died for the same reasons but it took longer.

As for why PCs took over it does have to do with cheap prices and expandability. It also had to do with support and how easy it was for hardware and accessory manufactures to make compatible product. The little bit of expansion the NEC and some others had wasn't covering the vast ecosystem PC was providing. it's also why IBM fell behind because they were trying to stop PC clones and tried to put up more walls in their design.

When you have a whole unified part of the computer industry with indefinite support and companies around the world all on board with compatible products it's guaranteed to be the end unless you try and open up to. That's why Apple was the only major survivor limping along and almost becoming another Commodore until a late turn around. They still didn't go all the way, but they figured it out enough to do better than the other brands worldwide.

It's one of the reasons they are still around in computing today with their MACs, although MACS now are basically proprietary PCs now unlike before.

If that remake changes the character too look like an anime character maybe. But otherwise it'll be just as effective as Killzone was.
Anime character? I doubt it's that simple. It sounds like you are taking the conventional wisdom of certain video game forums as some sort of truth.

For a counter-example, The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild has sold very well in Japan while Wind Waker did not. You know which one looks like a specific anime artstyle and which one has stylized shading but realistic proportions.

edit - I may have missed some sarcasm and I apologize for missing it.

Last edited:
Anime character? I doubt it's that simple. It sounds like you are taking the conventional wisdom of certain video game forums as some sort of truth.

For a counter-example, The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild has sold very well in Japan while Wind Waker did not. You know which one looks like a specific anime artstyle and which one has stylized shading but realistic proportions.

Proportions don't really define anime or not. It's just style. Link, Zelda and co are very "anime" in their design across the history of the series. It's just stylistic changes about how that is represented.

Now that doesn't mean "make it anime" has value, and such a term is in and of itself rather meaningless as anime as a medium covers all sorts of styles (so the things I said themselves are mostly pedantic :p ).

If that remake changes the character too look like an anime character maybe. But otherwise it'll be just as effective as Killzone was.
Ignoring that the person was clearly being sarcastic, anime aesthetic probably doesn't really help all that much. Japan accepts anime, but, they don't particularly prefer it over live action or realism. Horizon did relatively well when it first launched in Japan but, the PS5 needs the right market conditions for a remaster to sell more than 30,000 or so.

Proportions don't really define anime or not. It's just style. Link, Zelda and co are very "anime" in their design across the history of the series. It's just stylistic changes about how that is represented.

Good point that I did not know. What is a non-anime artstyle game that is successful in Japan? Minecraft?

Now that doesn't mean "make it anime" has value, and such a term is in and of itself rather meaningless as anime as a medium covers all sorts of styles (so the things I said themselves are mostly pedantic :p ).

You make the point better than I.

edit - I may have missed some sarcasm and I apologize for missing it.
Ignoring that the person was clearly being sarcastic,

I was also clearly sarcastic, or so I thought, riding off his joke. I thought me saying it would sell as effective as Killzone gave it away.

Good point that I did not know. What is a non-anime artstyle game that is successful in Japan? Minecraft?

Last few years? Fifa, Minecraft, GTA V the 2nd time, COD games, Tom Clancy sometimes.

If you're talking about Japanese made games, Resident Evil and Metal gear were always (since solid) using a more US tps artstyle for their games. The last main MGS MGSV did well in Japan. RE is still being released and it's doing well for it's recent entries.

I don't get the connection between the Horizon stuff and Japan tbh. Guerilla was never going to be working on something for Japan anyway.

Guerilla may be Sony's worst performing western studio in Japan. Even Resistance 1 from Insomniac did better than Halo 3 there by 30,000, Killzone did terribly, and Horizon did 290k with the first game for all version but has fallen of sharply since the.

Last edited by a moderator:

You make the point better than I.

What is defined as "successful"? Probably a lot of them. The bar for success is probably fairly low given the state of the market.

If you mean massive seller... I don't know.

But there's definitely success in Japan on service games you don't generally see reflected in these discussions. Could be one of them.

Back
Top Bottom