• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

The Pokémon Company: As of March 2023 Games sales reach 480m (+40m), Cards at 52.9b (+9.7b)

it's a fad!
Impressive, as usual
the "after Pokémon-Go" rebound really opened a second-era for this brand (after the POSSIBLE decline among the DS-to-3DS era)

As someone who collects the cards, this amount of volume of cards sold this past year is very true. Everywhere keeps selling out.

I wish they’d slow down the number of sets and sell the sets for longer.

52.9 billion pokemon cards, if lined up end to end, would wrap around the circumference of the earth 116 times

Wow, that acceleration in Pokémon card production is crazy. Never would’ve guessed they’d still be so popular after the early 2000s.

Looking at Wikipedia, Pokémon's a solid #3 for overall videogame franchise sales. Only behind Mario and Tetris.

480 million games sold.
I never expected that.
The previous mark announcement is 440. With 22 million of Pokémon Scarlet and Violet = 462.
I think they count every single download game sold in every Nintendo platform.
With this numbers, they will achieve 500 million first than Call of Duty and GTA.

I do appreciate the changes that the company made for the Scarlet and Violet sets, and overall it should be a better experience for customers. I’m specifically talking about the balance with rarity and the chase cards. However, I still have a problem with EX cards in general though lol

I feel like the card scene has picked up again in the past couple years thanks to the popularity of unboxings.

I think it's also gaining general popularity amongst the general TCG players as Wizards/Magic is floundering and Yugioh continues in its own very complex lane.

I'm still curious how TPC counts their Pokemon software sales. Nintendo shipped ~25M copies of Pokemon packaged software across Switch and 3DS in FY3/2023, so that means another ~15M Pokemon sales are unaccounted for by Nintendo that are accounted by TPC.

It can't be download numbers of F2P games because 15M would be way too low. I also highly doubt Virtual Console Pokemon sales on 3DS are anywhere close to reaching 15M - it's probably like 3-5M at best IMO.

Last edited:
it's a fad!
Impressive, as usual
the "after Pokémon-Go" rebound really opened a second-era for this brand (after the POSSIBLE decline among the DS-to-3DS era)

Non stop fad baby. it is surely going to die anytime soon wkwkwk.

I'm still curious how TPC counts their Pokemon software sales. Nintendo shopped ~25M copies of Pokemon packaged software across Switch and 3DS in FY3/2023, so that means another ~15M Pokemon sales are unaccounted for by Nintendo that are accounted by TPC.

It can't be download numbers of F2P games because 15M would be way too low. I also highly doubt Virtual Console Pokemon sales on 3DS are anywhere close to reaching 15M - it's probably like 3-5M at best IMO.
That's what I'm wondering. They can't be counting mobile games else it'd be over a billion due to Pokémon GO alone.

It could count things like digital Pokémon UNITE and Café ReMix on Switch but that wouldn't factor in too high...

That's what I'm wondering. They can't be counting mobile games else it'd be over a billion due to Pokémon GO alone.

It could count things like digital Pokémon UNITE and Café ReMix on Switch but that wouldn't factor in too high...
Maybe they factor in eShop sales as well, but even that wouldn't make too much of a change, I'd imagine. Could be adding in the numbers of new paid users to mobile apps maybe.

I'm still curious how TPC counts their Pokemon software sales. Nintendo shipped ~25M copies of Pokemon packaged software across Switch and 3DS in FY3/2023, so that means another ~15M Pokemon sales are unaccounted for by Nintendo that are accounted by TPC.

I agree that it can't include F2P games as 15M is way too low. Besides 3DS VC the only other discrepancies I can think of are games that didn't crack 1M (there are quite a few spinoffs in this category. But by definition these aren't going to be moving a ton of units). There have also been some digital only spinoffs across different systems that are also unquantifiable beyond "didn't move a lot".

Edit: I misread, that 15M is just for the past FY, what I said doesn't remotely cover it

Last edited:

What was the number before 440M? They could be rounding the numbers if they only give out XX0M.

Almost 10 billion card sales is certainly the eyebrow raising number of this bunch.

The TCG has always been popular, more than most people realize, but the uptick in interest over the past few years alone is pretty stunning to see.

Could they be including DLC sales as extra units? Perhaps that, in combination with some of the other stuff you mentioned, takes us to 15M. It would be an atypical approach, that's for sure.

Major DLC counting towards units would make sense as that's functionally replaced 3rd version rereleases. Same as for Capcom with MH major updates replacing G versions.

I wonder if Pokemon TCG now is the biggest TCG in the world?
I can't find definitive number for how many cards were sold, but if I had to guess MTG has probably sold more cards lifetime then Pokemon. That said we know MTG and YGO are still doing extremely well

They've been the top 3 of TCG for 20+ years now for a reason. I know in the context of hobby board and card game shops, many of them cite the popularity of Magic as the reason they're still in business.

Even if you don't want to do a full on sim like YGO Master Duel, why not do a modernized version of the two Pokemon TCG games from the GBC? After 20 years of begging the new Snap game reviewed and sold well, how TPC wasn't immediately on the phone finding people to work on bringing back other Pokemon spinoffs I'll never know.

Back
Top Bottom