-Gameplay reveal trailer
-Alpha or beta early access trailer
-Release year trailer
-Release window trailer
-release date trailer
-Deep dive trailer
-Final trailer

This takes between 3-6 years.

Easy to see why that strategy leaves people disappointed, frustrated, and eventually the worst possible outcome: Uninterested.

One problem I see with many of Sony's franchises (but also Nintendo's Xenoblade and MS's Gears of War and Halo): Often, these are stories that continue, that don't have a hard end at the end of the specific game, but have you know: This story WILL continue. And here's where waiting up to 5 years for the next game to continue the story becomes an issue. Imagine if TV shows had their audience wait for 5 years between seasons. These shows would be dead, one year is already pushing it for most people, hence why we saw split-seasons so that there's only half a year between story blocks.

That's what makes the wait extra frustrating. If we knew that we'll get all-new games with all-new stories and all-new characters, it wouldn't be that bad. But when you put the focus on cinematic experiences, then people have less patience to wait for the next Spiderman, Last of Us or Uncharted. Valve had the right idea when they started Half-Life Episodes, the industry "only" needs to reach a point where that actually works.

As a person who has lost enthusiasm to follow the industry and gaming in general, I found this showcase to be one of the better one in recent years. Granted I never expected anything major such as GTA6 reveal, new IP from ND/SSM or some high budget PSVR2 exclusives, but to be fair those never felt realistic expectations in my opinion. Surprised to see Bungie’s new MP game instead of seeing TLOU Factions, since I have lived in the assumption that the latter would be released way sooner.

I selected the bet for MH6, thinking I could select something like "No presentation of the game", but it seems I chose MH6 would be displayed here >.> (I think it was the automatic option)
Shoutouts to my English skills :D

As a person who has lost enthusiasm to follow the industry and gaming in general, I found this showcase to be one of the better one in recent years. Granted I never expected anything major such as GTA6 reveal, new IP from ND/SSM or some high budget PSVR2 exclusives, but to be fair those never felt realistic expectations in my opinion. Surprised to see Bungie’s new MP game instead of seeing TLOU Factions, since I have lived in the assumption that the latter would be released way sooner.
The problem is that they called it a Playstation Showcase and previous Showcase's have been a fair bit more important and that Sony has yet to really show the next phase for the PS5/PSVR2. If this was a State of Play, it would have been met with praise. But, since most of what Sony showed was GAAS and Spider-Man 2, it doesn't give a great read on that future. This should have been Sony's E3 presentation but, it would have been considered a weak one if it was.

I'm actually surprised that there was neither anything from Genshin nor from Honkai: Star Rail. Instead, we saw Tower of Fantasy.

I wonder if this means HSR release for consoles is delayed, would be strange to reveal it only during MHY's HSR stream tomorrow as the audience for that is much smaller and insular than the one that Sony's showcase would have reached.

The problem is that they called it a Playstation Showcase and previous Showcase's have been a fair bit more important and that Sony has yet to really show the next phase for the PS5/PSVR2. If this was a State of Play, it would have been met with praise. But, since most of what Sony showed was GAAS and Spider-Man 2, it doesn't give a great read on that future. This should have been Sony's E3 presentation but, it would have been considered a weak one if it was.
Its unfortunate that YouTube made the move of removing dislike/thumbs down vote since it would be interesting to compare this presentation to other notable showcases from Sony and major publishers. For me, even as an E3 substitute I found it above average as a whole. The showcase didn’t hit similar highs as many other events but at the same time it never had major low points neither which normally is bound to happen especially with +1h long presentations.

To the bolded part. I think this is the future considering Sonys increased focus on GAAS and how long triple-A game development takes. There are handful of developers that have proven track record of delivering single player focused AAA-games every few year and Sony (only) has one developer like that. The chances of getting next single player game from ND, SSM, GG or Housemarque in the next couple of years feel unlikely to me. Sucker Punch and Asobi, maybe.

Its unfortunate that YouTube made the move of removing dislike/thumbs down vote since it would be interesting to compare this presentation to other notable showcases from Sony and major publishers. For me, even as an E3 substitute I found it above average as a whole. The showcase didn’t hit similar highs as many other events but at the same time it never had major low points neither which normally is bound to happen especially with +1h long presentations.

To the bolded part. I think this is the future considering Sonys increased focus on GAAS and how long triple-A game development takes. There are handful of developers that have proven track record of delivering single player focused AAA-games every few year and Sony (only) has one developer like that. The chances of getting next single player game from ND, SSM, GG or Housemarque in the next couple of years feel unlikely to me. Sucker Punch and Asobi, maybe.

We already know what most of these teams are working on in terms of MP/SP:

ND - Factions, SP game
SSM - Cory Barlog SP game
Insomniac - SM2, Wolverine
SP - Ghost 2
Bluepoint - SP game
Bend - all hints toward a SP game
GG - HFW, Horizon Online
Asobi - SP game
London - GaaS

2nd party SP
- DS2, KOTOR, Stellar Blade, Lost Soul Aside, Convallaria, Rise of Ronin

Marathon and Spider-man 2 numbers are crazy, the rest is pretty much in line with the usual from these showcases.

I think Marathon will become the biggest money-maker in SIE history, and probably by far. Also, can see Spider-man 2 breaking GOW:R record for Sony.

Personally i am dissapointed by the lack of new SP first party anouncement.

Edit: It seems that Marathon have been runing ads, so that number is inflated.

Last edited:
A better YouTube metric would be to look at the likes and the likes/view ratio rather than just the views.

PS Showcase 2023 Peak concurrent viewers:
  • YouTube : 1.2M
  • Twitch : 1.3M
2nd Biggest Playstation stream of all time, only behind PS5 reveal.

Marathon and Spider-man 2 numbers are crazy, the rest is pretty much in line with the usual from these showcases.

I think Marathon will become the biggest money-maker in SIE history, and probably by far. Also, can see Spider-man 2 breaking GOW:R record for Sony.

Personally i am dissapointed by the lack of new SP first party anouncement.

Edit: It seems that Marathon have been runing ads, so that number is inflated.

Spiderman 2 is definitely breaking records somewhere. 11M in a single day.

Marathon is getting 11M of those views from an ad video from the official Marathon channel.

Yeah you can't really go by youtube numbers anymore because if a trailer has ads it multiplies its numbers.

Not really. Its extremely easy to see which trailers have been running ads. The like/view ratio is immediately obvious.
Post automatically merged:

I believe you can use a plugg-in to see the dislikes on Youtube videos.

The plug-in is using an algorithm based on it's userbase to determine the dislikes. Dislikes are not public data

Should be noted that this is not representative of the general viewership. People who downloaded that plugin tend to be those who use/value dislikes more.

It also seems to use extrapolation.

Looks like we got another Deep Down in this showcase.

Phantom Blade 0
Stellar Blade
Black Myth Wukong
Project Awakening
Deep Down

Looks like we got another Deep Down in this showcase.

Phantom Blade 0
Stellar Blade
Black Myth Wukong
Project Awakening
Deep Down

Stellar Blade shouldn't really be among those.

Even before the game appeared in the 2021 PS showcase, they had already shown a full boss fight which didn't really look all that impressive to begin with. You can tell there's actually a "game" there, it's just a matter of polishing the combat a bit more and create more content.

Black Myth Wukong remains to be seen. What they showed looked very impressive at times, but I don't believe for a second they are keeping that level of quality for a entire game.

I was honestly shocked by the Phantom Blade trailer though. Wasn't expecting to see such blatantly fake gameplay being featured in a showcase like this. I wish I could say "they aren't fooling anyone" but unfortunately I doubt that's the case lol

Spider-Man 2 reactions outside some specific places have been extremely positive. The vast majority of people are mega excited about the game (me included). Moreover, the black suit and Symbiote always generated a lot of hype, especially during marketing campaigns. Can't wait to see what they will show in the upcoming months.

I'm expecting the game to set new records for Playstation at launch.

Spider-Man 2 reactions outside some specific places have been extremely positive. The vast majority of people are mega excited about the game (me included). Moreover, the black suit and Symbiote always generated a lot of hype, especially during marketing campaigns. Can't wait to see what they will show in the upcoming months.

I'm expecting the game to set new records for Playstation at launch.
Always find the black suit hype a bit weird since it's a story redone a dozen times through the cartoons and SM3. It's been done so many times that the MCU has explicitly avoided using the plotline (besides Sony making Venom its own movie series).
Still should be gigantic, expecting it to beat GoWR's record handedly.

Stellar Blade shouldn't really be among those.

Even before the game appeared in the 2021 PS showcase, they had already shown a full boss fight which didn't really look all that impressive to begin with. You can tell there's actually a "game" there, it's just a matter of polishing the combat a bit more and create more content.

Black Myth Wukong remains to be seen. What they showed looked very impressive at times, but I don't believe for a second they are keeping that level of quality for a entire game.

I was honestly shocked by the Phantom Blade trailer though. Wasn't expecting to see such blatantly fake gameplay being featured in a showcase like this. I wish I could say "they aren't fooling anyone" but unfortunately I doubt that's the case lol
While true, I do find Stellar Blade in a pretty odd place ever since they aligned with Playstation. The twitter account seems to wake up once when the game is featured in a showcase/state of play before going completely dead again inbetween them.

Assuming DD2 plays like DD1, gameplay wise they will be completely different. Did you play the first one?
Post automatically merged:

Arrowhead aren't first party.

One interesting point about the showcase is their live-service games will be coming out day one on PC. (Helldivers, Concord, Fairgame$)
Sony is the publisher for Helldivers 2.

Always find the black suit hype a bit weird since it's a story redone a dozen times through the cartoons and SM3. It's been done so many times that the MCU has explicitly avoided using the plotline (besides Sony making Venom its own movie series).
Still should be gigantic, expecting it to beat GoWR's record handedly.
It's the "black" color. It just hits differently.

The black suit has always been super hyped. Even back in 2006 with Spider Man 3 marketing campaign, the focus was on the black suit and the hype was surreal.

NEW: Naughty Dog has significantly scaled down the team on its Last of Us multiplayer project, sources say, as it reassesses the game. Following Bloomberg's requests for comment, the company put out a Twitter statement today saying the game was delayed.

FxEzBouagAACrHl

We now know why The Last of Us Factions was MIA: it's not ready and the team working on it was downsized.

Might be better off just letting ND focus on single player if you’re making 10 other GaaS projects in the pipeline.

Definitely not. That team is the MP team (worked on UC and TLOU MP prior). They have amazing MP talent and experience. Let them cook. It has far bigger potential than any GaaS game Sony has bar Bungie and maybe Horizon online.

Definitely not. That team is the MP team (worked on UC and TLOU MP prior). They have amazing MP talent and experience. Let them cook. It has far bigger potential than any GaaS game Sony has bar Bungie and maybe Horizon online.
Going by Jason's reportings, it seems like they have significantly downsized the team on Factions.

NEW: Naughty Dog has significantly scaled down the team on its Last of Us multiplayer project, sources say, as it reassesses the game. Following Bloomberg's requests for comment, the company put out a Twitter statement today saying the game was delayed.

A shame given the overall importance of ND in Sony's portfolio, and most generally their excellent work on TLOU multiplayer back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom