• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom sells over 10m units worldwide (first 3 days), fastest-selling game in series + Nintendo game in Americas/EU

Was BOTW the biggest launch in the franchise before this or not? That game shipped 3.84m units in just under a month.
The only other Zelda game that could come close is Ocarina of Time, which sold 2.5M in the US alone in its launch quarter (Nov-Dec 1998). Adding in sales from the rest of the world should put it around BOTW's 3.84M figure, probably above it.

2.24mil sell thru Japan o.0

We shall see what the digital ratio is lol

FW retail number
  • 30% digital : 1.568M
  • 40% digital : 1.328M
  • 50% digital : 1.12M
  • 60% digital : 896k

With a 85% sellthrough
FW retail number with
  • 30% digital : 1.32M
  • 40% digital : 1.125M
  • 50% digital : 952k
  • 60% digital : 677k

With 90% sellthrough
FW retail number with
  • 30% digital : 1.411M
  • 40% digital : 1.21M
  • 50% digital : 1.008M
  • 60% digital : 716k

With 80% sellthrough
FW retail number with
  • 30% digital : 1.254M
  • 40% digital : 1.075M
  • 50% digital : 896k
  • 60% digital : 637k

That's the the range to expect and the assumptions to start with (digital below 30% of above 60% is unlikely, sellthrough outside the 80-90% range is unlikely as well)

Of course if I were to bet it would be for something in the 40-50% range for digital and something closer to 85% sellthrough so probably above 1M retail which is exaclty what most people here predicted.

We'll see soon enough.

EDIT : Simplified math

Last edited:
Zelda TOTK also repeated the huge feat in Europe. It's the fastest selling Switch and Nintendo game ever in Europe!!! Crazy times we live in, I still remember when Pokemon Sun and Moon were the fastest selling in those two territories respectively and WW it sold 7.1 million which is 50% less than Zelda. Congrats to the Zelda team and Monolith Soft.
Did Nintendo issue PR for Europe sales?

This is just fucking nuts …
I still remember how it was incredible that twilight princess sold 7 million lifetime on Wii.
Now we have a title that sells 10 million in just 3 days.

Need to see some weeks before making this prediction? Will LTD figures be 28-32 million?
I don’t have a history to link to show my logic, but I recall that FW sales tend to equal 50%-70% of first quarter sales. The word of mouth is off the charts so I assume we will be on the lower end of it…hence 17m-20m forecast.

Another 5m over the next 2 quarters doesn’t seem aggressive either.

It would be interesting if it gets very close to 30m LTD. I can’t recall an example of ANY sequel getting close to the 1st game. Galaxy didn’t come close, Majora’s didn’t come close.

This is bigger than the MHP3rd moment for the Zelda series in Japan; it went from 238k in 3 days to 2.24m in 3 days.

And it seems like it’s showing some sorts of supply problems in some European countries I heard. Might not be widespread but I think legs will be great with the insane word of mouth and the amount of content I see on socials. I even see streamers engage with the game or social media content that do not normally do so with Nintendo games. That’s rare.

TOTK.jpg

These estimates include digital

10 million worldwide with 2.24 million in Japan (and 4 million in America at $70 no less!) is fucking bonkers.

Zelda games have always been acclaimed and the series has always been touted as the 1B to Mario’s 1A, so it’s amazing to see Zelda finally sell like that.

TOTK fastest selling in Europe.

With a 85% sellthrough
FW retail number with

With 90% sellthrough
FW retail number with
  • 30% digital (672k) : 1.411M
  • 40% digital (896k) : 1.21M
  • 50% digital (1.12M) : 1.008M
  • 60% digital (1.344M) : 716k

With 80% sellthrough
FW retail number with
  • 30% digital (672k) : 1.254M
  • 40% digital (896k) : 1.075M
  • 50% digital (1.12M) : 896k
  • 60% digital (1.344M) : 637k

That's the the range to expect and the assumptions to start with (digital below 30% of above 60% is unlikely, sellthrough outside the 80-90% range is unlikely as well)

Of course if I were to bet it would be for something in the 40-50% range for digital and something closer to 85% sellthrough so probably above 1M retail which is exaclty what most people here predicted.

We'll see soon enough.
Thanks for the breakdown. However, I thought these reports by Nintendo always refer to sell-through data (not shipments). Can anyone confirm?

TOTK fastest selling in Europe.

Along with these figures, Nintendo also revealed it is Europe's fastest-selling game for Nintendo Switch.

Guess Nintendo did a press release, if not public then to news outlets. @Lelouch0612 @Lite_Agent

EDIT: notably it is best Switch launch and not best Nintendo launch. If that holds up in other sources, then my guess is that it's Sun/Moon that hold that honor.

Last edited:
With a 85% sellthrough
FW retail number with

With 90% sellthrough
FW retail number with
  • 30% digital (672k) : 1.411M
  • 40% digital (896k) : 1.21M
  • 50% digital (1.12M) : 1.008M
  • 60% digital (1.344M) : 716k

With 80% sellthrough
FW retail number with
  • 30% digital (672k) : 1.254M
  • 40% digital (896k) : 1.075M
  • 50% digital (1.12M) : 896k
  • 60% digital (1.344M) : 637k

We'll see soon enough.
I don't think shipments % matter since the 2.24M number is sell through.

Zelda the series growth in the Switch era is pretty remarkable to see.

It’s always been the title to get the core audience hyped. But never really had that mainstream appeal, tho had decent sales.

Now it’s got all eyes on it lol

Guess Nintendo did a press release, if not public then to news outlets. @Lelouch0612 @Lite_Agent

EDIT: notably it is best Switch launch and not best Nintendo launch. If that holds up in other sources, then my guess is that it's Sun/Moon that hold that honor.
Yeah, I updated the OP with this (thanks @Kmds for the heads up).

We live in a timeline where "Pokemon numbers" and "Zelda numbers" mean the same thing globally now. Truly incredible performance

Not quite, BOTW was already premium priced in Europe, and the price increase in Japan isn't as big as in the US. That, and more people going with vouchers (which still results in more money since digital = no cut for retailers + distribution + packaging), so it's not that simple a bit of math.

But yeah, still a great deal of additional money for them 🫠

That's Nintendo's integrated Hardware + Software approach at work. Strong HW sales combined with high-quality software from popular IP that have been carefully nurtured (often for decades) (+ no sales split between console and handheld platforms) = 🤑
This makes me think that the price hike was a ploy to get people to buy other games with Zelda and vouchers

It's also the best Nintendo launch. The full quote from the Eurogamer article:
Along with these figures, Nintendo also revealed it is Europe's fastest-selling game for Nintendo Switch.
And, the speedy records don't stop there. Tears of the Kingdom is also the fastest-selling Nintendo game for any system in Europe.

Don't mind me, just wanted to be in the picture of this insane result.

Huge sales for ToTK. It will easily surpass BoTW imo.

@Nocturnal was spot on for the Japanese launch numbers (I believe he said 2.3 including digital)

These are absolutely insane numbers. Zelda is quickly becoming a worldwide juggernaut

Zelda is murdering.

Assuming an average price of 72 USD, this is a gross income of 720'000'000 USD in three days.

It is still behind GTA 5's performance over a similar time frame but the fact that both are even comparable is supreme bananas.

A question to the community... who paid 70 $\€ for the game? For example I bought two standard editions (60€ each, Saturn/Media Markt Germany)

A question to the community... who paid 70 $\€ for the game? For example I bought two standard editions (60€ each, Saturn/Media Markt Germany)
I paid $70 at Best Buy, though I had a $5 rewards coupon to soften the blow a bit!

Blown away by this performance. Very deserved.

These numbers are insane. And here I was sure "2nd Zelda" effect would still take hold somehow. 😓

I got 2 copies of the CE and they’re $180 cnd each (pre tax)

Leaked footage of Universal/Illumination trying to enter Nintendo's headquarters to propose a Zelda movie adaptation:
let-me-in-eric-andre.gif

60€ on Amazon due to a 10€ discount offered to me after using Amazon Photo

Incredible numbers. Obviously not everyone is paying exactly full price, but with CEs and the various Tears accessories, consoles, Amiibos etc., the revenue generated by this one game in three days must be astronomical.

Well deserved. Now for the legs to kick in.

Nintendo's next financial report releases on August 1st, correct? (April-June Period)

This may be the only sales update we get until said financial report, unless Nintendo puts out another PR statement about its sales, possibly hitting 20 mil.

Last edited:
Preordered it at nedgame.nl (Dutch video game chain) for €60, they now sell it at a price of €65 online.

Both me and my partner paid ~130€ (for the CE).

Amazing launch and I have no doubts legs will be amazing as well,

I made a poll a month ago about what my expectations are for the Quarter:

Most people who voted expected 10-15M,

20M+ is certainly possible after such a launch and this will no doubt also impact demand for hardware in the summer for Nintendo.

Last edited:
So between this and the Mario movie Nintendo has just casually generated around 2 billion in revenue within the past month and a half no big deal

Back
Top Bottom