• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

The Legend of Zelda Movie announced, [coproduced by Arad Productions, directed by Wes Ball]

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (HQ: Kyoto Minami-ku; Representative Director and President: Shuntaro Furukawa, "Nintendo" hereafter) today announced that it will develop a live-action film of The Legend of Zelda.

The film will be produced by Shigeru Miyamoto, Representative Director and Fellow of Nintendo and Avi Arad, Chairman of Arad Productions Inc., who has produced many mega hit films.

The film will be produced by Nintendo and Arad Productions Inc., and directed by Wes Ball. The film will be co-financed by Nintendo and Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc., with more than 50% financed by Nintendo. The theatrical distribution of the film will be done worldwide by Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.

What in the name of Nintendo? 🤔

So much for NCU, but zelda fits better. Imagine if they made botw in a Avatar like setting 😭

Genuinely intrigued by this, though I'm not really the target audience here. Nintendo film number 2 being live action is kind of exciting though. Partnering with Sony for this seems like a solid choice with the added benefit of being funny as well.

Good for them.However i hate that it is Live Action and very few things will dissuade me on that.

Nintendo going third party!!!!
Jokin'

Excited but doubtious about it until the first trailer hits

The "movie-fication" process of the most important gaming company continues btw..

The Maze Runner trilogy was decent and Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes looks surprisingly good, so I think this could turn out well. I would've preferred an animated TV show, but Zelda's not a bad franchise for live action.

This is Miyamoto. I have been working on the live-action film of The Legend of Zelda for many years now with Avi Arad-san, who has produced many mega hit films.

I have asked Avi-san to produce this film with me, and we have now officially started the development of the film with Nintendo itself heavily involved in the production. It will take time until its completion, but I hope you look forward to seeing it.

My hopes of the Future of Zelda seriously deflated this morning. Hopefully this just rolls off without doing much damage like that Detective Pikachu movie.

Not confident in Avi Arad’s track record but maybe they’ll surprise me. I’ll be curious if it can crack a billion like the Mario movie but I think it’ll play to a very different demo, more of the PG-13 fantasy adventure group like LOTR and POTC.

Last edited:
Not confident in Avi Arad’s attack record but maybe they’ll surprise me. I’ll be curious if it can crack a billion like the Mario movie but I think it’ll play to a very different demo, more of the PG-13 fantasy adventure group like LOTR and POTC.
How many times has and will Miyamoto tell Arad "No". Take a shot each time you think it's happening right before you go see the movie.

Nobody attempts this, I don't want to be responsible for someone's death.

That's an original way to spell Timothée Chalamet.

Link will have the perfect wooden vocal/facial performance that the character deserves, it's perfect.

I can only assume that this is still years away from seeing the light of day, for all we know there could be a new Zelda released between now and then that this film takes cues from.

No way this hits 2025 with the strikes. They still need to iron out a lot of development details before they can even begin talking casting, I’m sure.

Difficult to say given Miyamoto's words:

For me, this looks like a potential 2025 release.
The Mario movie was first announced in late 2017 and didn't release until spring 2023 (intially slated for end of 2022). I'd be shocked if the Zelda movie arrived just 2 years from now.

No way this hits 2025 with the strikes. They still need to iron out a lot of development details before they can even begin talking casting, I’m sure.
Aren't the strikes expected to end in the coming days ?
The Mario movie was first announced in late 2017 and didn't release until spring 2023 (intially slated for end of 2022). I'd be shocked if the Zelda movie arrived just 2 years from now.
You are all potentially right but Miyamoto did mention they were working on it for years. Plus I would expect a shorter reveal-release cycle for their upcoming movies.

Did not expect live action or for it to be a Sony co-production. This’ll be extremely interesting to follow.

I'll wait for the first trailer before thinking of how it could do at the box office but this partnership does not inspire confidence.

I was already going to see the newest Planet of the Apes movie, but I have more incentive to do so now to see what the director is all about in recent times.

A quick glance at the box office subreddit and a lot of people aren’t too keen on the idea, but then again I remember there being a similar reaction to the Mario movie when it was announced, so I’m just gonna see how it goes.

Miyamoto is producing so I bet Nintendo’ll be heavily involved again. But man. I really thought they’d stick with Universal. Guess this means any studio can have a go at Nintendo’s properties, and they’re gonna try considering the state of film in 2023.

Miyamoto is producing so I bet Nintendo’ll be heavily involved again. But man. I really thought they’d stick with Universal. Guess this means any studio can have a go at Nintendo’s properties, and they’re gonna try considering the state of film in 2023.
Universal is already going to be very busy given the rumors of a Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion and Mario movies.

Universal is already going to be very busy given the rumors of a Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion and Mario movies.

It's going to be a awhile until their Nintendo Pictures has the bandwidth to do things in-house.
At the same time, considering the pay and conditions of work at other Japanese animation studios, they could probably poach all the talent they would want from all the others by just offering them non "you die from overwork" conditions.

But Nintendo has never been in the business of growing at a similar rate than most corporations, so we'll see.

And of course I must voice my continued desire for a Splatoon film/series of some kind.
I was going to say, I'm hoping this Zelda movie is successful so that SOny Pictures Animation gets a crack at Splatoon. Like a Splatoon movie with Spiderverse visuals would get my butt in a theater pronto.
Post automatically merged:

The feel good story of that news, dream coming true 13 years later

"Don’t have a lot of free time these days, but I’ve been sneaking in some of the latest Zelda. The game is amazing. I knew it would be good, but it has surprised me so far. Really accessible. Great story. And insane gameplay mechanics. Players like this guy blow my mind…"
Okay, maybe this film won't be completely bad.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/legend-of-zelda-movie-wes-ball-1235596216/

According to Deadline, Derek Connolly will be writing the script. He's worked on Detective Pikachu, Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and the Jurassic World trilogy.

Almost all of his credits are co-writing jobs and by the looks of it, quite a few of those he probably wasn't the primary writer for the project. So this doesn't really give us much idea as to what he's capable of.

Time will tell I guess.

I'm not worried about the script since Miyamoto/Nintendo will make sure it's solid.

I expect it to be a mix of TP Link and BotW/TotK Link with some quirky moments to get the spirit of Toon Link too. A lot of harmless fanservice, essentially the Mario Movie but live action.

Well excuuuuuuse me, Miyamoto! Sony pictures was not on my bingo card. I actually liked the anime so will fanboy for this shamelessly.

the staff reads like a desire for a billion dollar movie. and with Nintendo footing half the bill, they will get those rewards

with the way they're talking, this sounds like a 2025 movie to me. live action movies are much quicker to produce than animated ones.

also, this will be the closest Zelda has gotten to Unreal Engine, officially!

The feel good story of that news, dream coming true 13 years later

Also, Arad has been going after Mario since at least 2014.

So this is a long-time dream for many of the major players involved.

The Sony x Nintendo thing is a meme as far as I'm concerned. Funny, but a meme. Sony's music divisions handles tons of Nintendo's soundtracks/music. People are acting like this is the first time these companies worked together since that ill-fated collab in the 90s.

A quick glance at the box office subreddit and a lot of people aren’t too keen on the idea, but then again I remember there being a similar reaction to the Mario movie when it was announced, so I’m just gonna see how it goes.

Considering they don’t want a repeat of their earlier forays into multimedia, I think they’ll be heavily involved for every project they decide to do.

My hopes of the Future of Zelda seriously deflated this morning. Hopefully this just rolls off without doing much damage like that Detective Pikachu movie.
The Pikachu movie was objectively and obviously great. At least better than 90% of the animated Pokemon stuff.
Post automatically merged:

with the way they're talking, this sounds like a 2025 movie to me. live action movies are much quicker to produce than animated ones.
First sentence: What? Second sentence: What?

This will be 2027 earliest and most blockbuster movies these days have more animated frames than 8 whole seasons of Pokemon.

Tbh, the only way I can see a live-action Zelda film sort of working is if they go with a young Link, OoT-style. Make it a fun adventure about a nice little kid with a sword.

There is a lot they can pull for Zelda to make an interesting live action movie. The thing they’ll have to nail are the creature prosthetics & overall look for the world. That’ll make or break it for most people, I think, upon first showing.

Pretty excited for this! I actually enjoyed the Mario movie, so I do hope that Nintendo can continue the movie success with Zelda. I don't expect this to release until at least 2026 (for the 40th anniversary) and I wouldn't be surprised if it winds up releasing in 2027 or later.

Sounds like its set up to be terrible, or at best mediocre. Nintendo being hands on is the light of hope in this production.

Yeah, this isn't going to be good. Doesn't matter if Miyamoto is involved or not, it's not like he is writing the English script. The most he can do is give them a general direction of how he wants the movie to go.

He also made the huge mistake of partnering with Avi Arad. He doesn't really do much and his "renown" comes from taking credit for other people's successes. Avi Arad has been strongly criticized by his peers for making bad film-making decisions in the past. The only thing he does is beg people to turn his favorite IPs into films and then stick his name on it to claim that he's a "true believer" (see Spider-Man: NWH credits). He's like an extra who makes delusional claims that the success of a blockbuster movie is due to his magnificent acting. I think Miyamoto got fooled by Avi's "resume" here.

First gasp I have released reading news in a long time. Cautiously optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom