• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

The Last of Us has sold over 37 million copies as a series worldwide

God of War had several bundles within the first year of its release and Spider-Man launched with the $199.99 PS4 Slim bundle and which sold over 1 million units. The game was around $29 during Black Friday, but didn't officially drop to $40 until almost a year later. Spider-Man dropped to $39.99 the fastest.
Like I said, it was a throwaway anecdote.

Out of curiosity, I just checked my local Amazon and here is the order of their prices as of Jan 2023 (All PS4, non GOTY/DE copies):

HZD=GOW=TLOU2<Spidy<GOT
Make of that what you will...

Regarding bundles, it's futile to discuss them unless and until we get concrete data from SIE themselves. All SIE first party game are bundled to some extent in pretty much all markets. So, a comparison among first party software is as fair as one can get.

Like I said, it was a throwaway anecdote.

Out of curiosity, I just checked my local Amazon and here is the order of their prices as of Jan 2023 (All PS4, non GOTY/DE copies):

HZD=GOW=TLOU2<Spidy<GOT
Make of that what you will...

Regarding bundles, it's futile to discuss them unless and until we get concrete data from SIE themselves. All SIE first party game are bundled to some extent in pretty much all markets. So, a comparison among first party software is as fair as one can get.
Ghost of Tsushima wasn't going to get a steep discount within a year because they released a Director's Cut version. If they cut the price to 19.99 after a year and have a 10 dollar upgrade path for the PS5 version, then the DC release would be almost irrelevant.
Spider-man was 29.99 for a while because they released a GOTY edition with all the DLC.
And bundles are a very important factor. They released a Spider-Man LE bundle shortly after release and then the 199.99 slim bundle and that was pushing massive units around that time.
If bundles were released within the first year, then that 10 million mark is going to be easier to achieve. I'm not saying it would have beaten Spider-Man or God of War in sales, but they wouldn't reach the 10 million mark that fast without it.

Quoted by: SSN
If bundles were released within the first year, then that 10 million mark is going to be easier to achieve. I'm not saying it would have beaten Spider-Man or God of War in sales, but they wouldn't reach the 10 million mark that fast without it.
You are overplaying the importance of bundles, IMO. Without official data, this is a never ending argument anyway.

Bundles or not, my points about the legs of TLOU2 still stand. I wish we had data for Days Gone, because I have a hunch that even DG may have had better legs than TLOU2, lol.

Last edited:
Thought this was interesting. I wonder if the Emmys will give the seres another boost in sales? Usually games get a boost when they win GoTY i wonder if TLOU will get another boost if it grabs a couple of emmys?

It’s currently nominated for 25.

Thought this was interesting. I wonder if the Emmys will give the seres another boost in sales? Usually games get a boost when they win GoTY i wonder if TLOU will get another boost if it grabs a couple of emmys?

Will be interesting to see though I expect Succession to sweep the Emmys as it has in the last few years.

For sure, composer of TLOU2 also seem to have confirmed some kind of TLOU2 remaster/director cut for PS5 and maybe PC as well.

TLOU2 is well on its way to 20 million, while TLOU1 will get past 30 million.

For sure, composer of TLOU2 also seem to have confirmed some kind of TLOU2 remaster/director cut for PS5 and maybe PC as well.

TLOU2 is well on its way to 20 million, while TLOU1 will get past 30 million.
Isnt TLOU2 10 million after 2 years? I believe its closer to 12-13M by now that 20M

The game is possibly closer to 15m now, it's been charting on the digital monthly PS4 games in the PS Store for the last months.

Yeah, I think both part 1 and part 2 got huge boost this year due to the show, pc port and re-release of part 1. The series was at 37 million in January before the show came out.

Wouldn’t be surprised if its near 45 now

Yeah, I think both part 1 and part 2 got huge boost this year due to the show, pc port and re-release of part 1. The series was at 37 million in January before the show came out.

Wouldn’t be surprised if its near 45 now

No way it series is at 45m, likely 40m. My guess is it will reach 50 million by 2028. Driven by HBO success and upcoming TLOU2 director cut on PS5/PC.

My guess is it will reach 50 million by 2028.

Are you including part 3 in that? Its looking likely thats the next game or that it will at least release before the end of the generation. I also wouldn’t count out the multiplayer.

If those two release before 2028. Think that number will be way bigger

Are you including part 3 in that? Its looking likely thats the next game or that it will at least release before the end of the generation. I also wouldn’t count out the multiplayer.

If those two release before 2028. Think that number will be way bigger

No, only TLOU 1 and 2.

TLOU1 30m between all versions.

TLOu2 20m.

Yeah, I feel like almost every major selling 20m+ game has had extensive bundling at some point. I feel like people only ever bring it up to downplay a sales milestone.
You mean for Sony's stuff right? Because I dont think any of the Nintendo 20 million sellers other than MK have had extensive bundling other that maybe SMP which was bundled with the Joycvons for a time. Regardless, it does always go like this in these threads. While a honest account of what it took for each game to reach these lofty milestones (and at what price or in what form they did it) is nice in theory, I feel like usually Nintendo's stuff gets immediately brought up to make Sony's games look weaker because heaven forbid a postive Sony milestone go by without 5 people raising their hand to all "well actually" the thread.

Yes TLOU2 is closer to 12-13m now. But should get to 20 million in 3-4 years time with remaster/director coming to PS5 and maybe even PC.
Yes well itll probably do that more easily if they dont completely bungle the PC port. Remake was such a lay up for PC audience wise but they kinda completely botched it and now 2 is gonna have a bunch of side eye on it that it shouldnt have.

Last edited:
The player count for Last of Us Part II was 7.2 million in November 2020.
So a year in about a half it sold 2.8 million more copies.

November - US 8th - EU - 7th

April - EU - 12th
August - EU - 16th
October - EU - 11th
November - US - 16th - EU - 6th

March - US - 15th - EU - 13th
April - US - 14th - EU - 11th | Last of Us Part II sold over 10 million copies
August - US - 10th - EU - 7th
September - US - 11th - EU - 15th | Last of Us Part I release date
November - US - 4th - EU - 4th | 12th GSD Europe
December - US - 7th - EU - 5th - JP - 15th

January - US - 7th - EU - 7th | Last of Us Show TV Premiere
February - US - 1st - EU - 1st - JP - 9th | 18th NPD | 7th GSD Europe
March - US - 9th - EU - 10th | Season Finale
April - US - 1st - EU - 1st - JP - 15th | 5th GSD Europe
July - US - 12th - EU - 11th

- Sales slowed down in 2021
- Sales increased a lot in 2022, making the top 10 on the PSN Downloads charts in both regions.
- Strong sales began when The Last of Us Part I was released.
- Making the GSD Top 20 rankings 3 times within the last year.
- Slight increase in Japan sales.

If 2.8 million copies were sold from Nov 2020-April 2022, then it wouldn't surprise me if it's currently at 14m - 15m sales seems.

Last edited:
The player count for Last of Us Part II was 7.2 million in November 2020.
So a year in about a half it sold 2.8 million more copies.

November - US 8th - EU - 7th

April - EU - 12th
August - EU - 16th
October - EU - 11th
November - US - 16th - EU - 6th

March - US - 15th - EU - 13th
April - US - 14th - EU - 11th | Last of Us Part II sold over 10 million copies
August - US - 10th - EU - 7th
September - US - 11th - EU - 15th | Last of Us Part I release date
November - US - 4th - EU - 4th | 12th GSD Europe
December - US - 7th - EU - 5th - JP - 15th

January - US - 7th - EU - 7th | Last of Us Show TV Premiere
February - US - 1st - EU - 1st - JP - 9th | 18th NPD | 7th GSD Europe
March - US - 9th - EU - 10th | Season Finale
April - US - 1st - EU - 1st - JP - 15th | 5th GSD Europe

- Sales slowed down in 2021
- Sales increased a lot in 2022, making the top 10 on the PSN Downloads charts in both regions.
- Strong sales began when The Last of Us Part I was released.
- Making the GSD Top 20 rankings 3 times within the last year.
- Slight increase in Japan sales.

If 2.8 million copies were sold from Nov 2020-April 2022, then it wouldn't surprise me if it's currently at 14m - 15m sales seems.

Yes quite possible that sales may have reached 14 million for TLOU2 based on these charts. Remaster/PC release should be early 2024 release, we may get another update on sales then.

NGL, if TLOU 2 "only" did 10-11M that seems a little light all things considered.

Still a big number obviously that many developers aspire too one day reach, but that would mean TLOU is no bigger than Horizon....or like Luigi's Mansion 3. I think the sentiment is that TLOU is a bit bigger than that.

NGL, if TLOU 2 "only" did 10-11M that seems a little light all things considered.

Still a big number obviously that many developers aspire too one day reach, but that would mean TLOU is no bigger than Horizon....or like Luigi's Mansion 3. I think the sentiment is that TLOU is a bit bigger than that.

It did over 10 early last year with no bundles

Luigi's Mansion 3 sales are more impressive because it doesn't need to reduce the price regularly like those PS titles to sell over 10 million units.

LM3
sBTWPtX.jpg

TLOU part 2
iPgLPQH.jpg

By being a sequel it is inherently a little less open to the mass market, so it being a bit behind what you'd expect for "TLOU" isn't too surprising but we don't really have updated figures on it aside from numbers from a year ago.

I would assume the TV show helped TLOU-2 as well as it did TLOU-1 but maybe not.

Luigi's Mansion 3 sales are more impressive because it doesn't need to reduce the price regularly like those PS titles to sell over 10 million units.

LM3
sBTWPtX.jpg

TLOU part 2
iPgLPQH.jpg
Every game is out there having deep discounts, why are you here bringing this up just for PS titles?

Every game is out there having deep discounts, why are you here bringing this up just for PS titles?
It was brought up by someone else.

LM3
sBTWPtX.jpg

TLOU part 2
iPgLPQH.jpg
Let's avoid stick measuring contests in a thread specifically about TLOU. We don't need to declare Luigi's Mansion superior or not in this thread.

Horizon Zero Dawn? It performed better than Horizon Zero Dawn.

Luigi's Mansion? It's performing than many well known franchises. I don't know why people try to downplay the sales number of the Last of Us.. When other games reach 10 million copies sold, its celebrated, but The Last of Us? Some people treated like the game didn't perform that well at all.

Horizon Zero Dawn? It performed better than Horizon Zero Dawn.

Luigi's Mansion? It's performing than many well known franchises. I don't know why people try to downplay the sales number of the Last of Us.. When other games reach 10 million copies sold, its celebrated, but The Last of Us? Some people treated like the game didn't perform that well at all.

Its becoming a trend with a lot of games

European GSD H1 2023 Top 20 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
2Diablo 4 (Activision Blizzard)
3FIFA 23 (EA)
4The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
5Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
7Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
8Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (EA)
9NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
10Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)
11God of War Ragnarok (Sony)
12Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
13Dead Island 2 (Deep Silver)
14The Last of Us: Part 2 (Sony)
15Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft)
16Final Fantasy 16 (Square Enix)
17Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
18Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
19Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
20Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)

Currently the 14th best selling game across so far across Europe.

I don't expect it to hold the Top 20..........unless they release the remastered version this year.

European GSD H1 2023 Top 20 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
2Diablo 4 (Activision Blizzard)
3FIFA 23 (EA)
4The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
5Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
7Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
8Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (EA)
9NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
10Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)
11God of War Ragnarok (Sony)
12Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
13Dead Island 2 (Deep Silver)
14The Last of Us: Part 2 (Sony)
15Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft)
16Final Fantasy 16 (Square Enix)
17Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
18Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
19Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
20Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)

Currently the 14th best selling game across so far across Europe.

I don't expect it to hold the Top 20..........unless they release the remastered version this year.

TLOU2 H1 europe sales are above 1 million. FF16 likely sold 800-900k. Now TLOU2 sold through number is 14-15 million WW.

I am very curious if Sony will do a reissue of TLOU2 this year, I think it can easily get to 15 million+ with that if so (just like TLOU:R helped the original get to 17 million. back in the day)

I am very curious if Sony will do a reissue of TLOU2 this year, I think it can easily get to 15 million+ with that if so (just like TLOU:R helped the original get to 17 million. back in the day)
Isnt there a pretty credible leak about how Part 2 is getting a remaster/port/directors cut soon? Should give the game more momentum.

The Season 2 of the show was gonna adapt the second game, maybe they were timing it to release close to the show? The strikes mightve messed that up though.

It would be wise of them to take their time and do a simultaneous release with ps5 and pc this time around. It doesn’t really break the “playstation first” rule since its a remaster

I think a TLOUP2 remake will definitely hit PS5 and Steam coinciding with the second season of the HBO Show. The cross-media approach is what's driving these sales and mainstream franchise interest now, might as well lean into that.

I also think Fractions won't see the light of day, or it'll get folded into TLOUP3 downstream.

TLOU2 remaster/PC is likely early 2024. They would have announced one by now if it was 2023.

We officially have more remakes/remasters than original games! Will TLOU be Sony's Skyrim that they just port to every new machine?

I’m confused. The game is only four years old and it launched on a successful system.
Well this is a remaster not a remake so it's like the first remaster only being a year after the first game.

Obviously the main difference is that PS5 is backwards compatible so you can already play TLOU2 on PS5.

I would expect an upgrade path, and from the sounds of it I would be in 100% if it's a < $20 upgrade.

It's a bit of a shame that the PC version of TLoU Part 1 was(and still is) quite poor, this will not only limit the sales of Part 1 but Part 2 as well on the platform.

Really short sighted choice by SIE to release the PC port in that state.

Hopefully there is an upgrade deal again like with Uncharted 4/LL.

That would be smart, the ps4 version can be played on PS5 at 60 FPS already and it feels like great to control. Paying full price when the reason you might want to have a remaster is already gone would not be a good look.

I’m confused. The game is only four years old and it launched on a successful system.

This SKU was probably decided the second they decided on a Remake/PC port of TLoU Part 1.
Not having a proper PS5 SKU while PC bros (in theory) get a much superior version would feel bad to PS players.

I expected them to save it for season 2 or the show but that's when the PC version launches?

They're starting to film at the start of January 2024 for Season 2, unsure when Season 2 is going to air. But yes, something like Q1 2025 would be a year after the release this remaster.

Sales forecast for that on PC version is probably way down in the toilet because of Part I though.

I guess this was supposed to be a TGA announcement.
Sooner than expected but I'm looking forward to replaying it.
If only Like a Dragon 8 didn't release only one week later..

TLOU2 PS5 remaster leaked, likely PC version as well. Release date 19th Jan 2024.

trailer

Well this is a remaster not a remake so it's like the first remaster only being a year after the first game.

Obviously the main difference is that PS5 is backwards compatible so you can already play TLOU2 on PS5.

I would expect an upgrade path, and from the sounds of it I would be in 100% if it's a < $20 upgrade.

This will be a quite an upgrade for a remaster - couple of new levels and rogue lite mode. And save transfer too.

Experience the winner of over 300 Game of the Year awards now with an array of technical enhancements that make The Last of Us Part II Remastered the definitive way to play Ellie and Abby’s critically acclaimed story.

Native PS5 enhancements
Built for the PS5 console, The Last of Us Part II Remastered enhances the original PS4 game in ways not possible before, including:
• A host of graphical improvements bring the beautiful-yet-dangerous world to life.
• Visual performance now outputs at 4K in Fidelity Mode.
• Improved loading times more quickly let you jump into action.
• Full DualSense™ wireless controller integration.

No Return – A Roguelike Survival Mode
Experience The Last of Us Part II’s deep combat via an entirely new mode! Survive as long as you can in each run, as you choose your path through a series of randomized encounters. Play as a host of different unlockable characters, some never-before playable in The Last of Us franchise, each with unique gameplay traits. The variety of challenges feature different foes and memorable locations from throughout Part II, all culminating in tense boss battles.

New ways to play
Delve deeper into this beloved adventure and learn how the original game was created.
• Lost Levels lets you explore early-development versions of three new levels not seen in the original.
• Enjoy hours of new developer commentary to hear insights into Part II’s development as you experience the game.
• Live up to your musical potential with Guitar Free Play, which includes new unlockable instruments, or take on the new Speedrun Mode* and post your best times.
• Descriptive Audio** and Speech to Vibrations have also been added to Part II's suite of accessibility features.
• The Last of Us Part II Remastered also features brand new unlockable character and weapon skins for players to use for both Ellie and Abby.

*Game progression required to unlock.
**Only available for audio supported languages

Edit :

Hopefully there is an upgrade deal again like with Uncharted 4/LL.

That would be smart, the ps4 version can be played on PS5 at 60 FPS already and it feels like great to control. Paying full price when the reason you might want to have a remaster is already gone would not be a good look.

This SKU was probably decided the second they decided on a Remake/PC port of TLoU Part 1.
Not having a proper PS5 SKU while PC bros (in theory) get a much superior version would feel bad to PS players.

This is basically a confirmation that there will be an upgrade path

Full trailer + lots of info about to drop. Did someone ask about an upgrade path?

EDIT : 10$ upgrade

image0.jpg

Last edited:
No PC version? I don't understand Sony's strategy for the platform.

PS strategy for PC port is "at least a year" for non-GaaS games, per Hermen Hulst:

Speaking to Julien Chieze, Hulst outlined the future of Sony’s dual platform release strategy.

“I think going forward we’ll see at least a year between releases on PlayStation and on the PC platform, possibly with the exception of live service games,” Hulst said.

I guess Remake Part 1 was an exception, with SIE wanting to cash in on the show.
That pretty much backfired though, all the goodwill of ports post-HZD is gone with that terrible release.

PS strategy for PC port is "at least a year" for non-GaaS games, per Hermen Hulst:

I guess Remake Part 1 was an exception, with SIE wanting to cash in on the show.
That pretty much backfired though, all the goodwill of ports post-HZD is gone with that terrible release.

TLOU2 is three and a half years old, unless they count this as a new release which would be stupid.

PS: Where's Demon's Souls?

Back
Top Bottom