• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

The Last of Us has sold over 37 million copies as a series worldwide

Coco

Disciple Staff
Armamenter
teaser-image.png

We are so proud to share that the entire The Last of Us franchise has sold through more than 37 million copies globally as of December 2022, and is continuing to reach new and old players every day. To know that Joel, Ellie, and our
whole cast of characters have been experienced and loved by so many of you drives the entire studio forward.

1-2m coming from the remake, and the rest from the previous releases ?

I wonder. IIRC the remake sales were not exactly great from the few data we got (uk, spain and japan I think?). That said I often saw this game being bundled by retailers, so I imagine it managed solid sales as long as PS5 stock was available.

TLOU Remastered was included in the 2019 holiday PS4 bundle so it would not be too surprising if that version sold 4-5 million between the last update and this past December.

I think the HBO show is going to drive a lot of new interest (and sales). Sort of like how the Netflix deals did wonders for TW3 and 2077.

Last update was TLOU1 (PS3+PS4) at ~20M on May 2019 and TLOU2 at ~10M on spring 2022.

If I had to guess, TLOU1 is at 25-26M and TLOU2 at 11-12M.

Seems a bit high for TLOU P1. I think its:
TLOU P1 - <22M
TLOU PII - 12-14M
TLOU R - 2-4M

2-4M for TLOU R at $70 is very good and ~7M sold in 2022. HBO TLOU and the MP game could have TLOU in 2023 sell 10M+.

I think the HBO show is going to drive a lot of new interest (and sales). Sort of like how the Netflix deals did wonders for TW3 and 2077.

I'm curious to see if a direct adaptation can have a similar effect on sales (for the remake).

Both Witcher and Cyberpunk are distinct stories from the games. So basically if people want more of that universe they can go play the games and they'll have a fresh experience, which won't happen here.

On the other hand if people want to see the continuation of the story they can get TLOU2.

TLOU PII - 13-14M

There's now way TLOU2 sold 3-4 millions between spring and december this year imo.

Game took a considerable amount of time to reach 10M after opening at 4M, even when it was already being sold for 30€ at the start of 2021.

Seems a bit high for TLOU P1. I think its:
TLOU P1 - <21M
TLOU PII - 13-14M
TLOU R - 3-4M

3-4M for TLOU R at $70 is very good and ~7M sold in 2022. HBO TLOU and the MP game could have TLOU in 2023 sell 10M+.
How does TLOU Remastered sell less than 1 million in 3.5 years but, PII sell 3-4 million in 8 months? Like you have to assume that no one bought Remastered in the entire lead-up to PII for that to make sense. Also, sales of that level would have appeared on the NPD at some point. The remake also doesn't really make sense as it wouldn't have fallen off the October NPD if it sold that well or we would have seen it sell over 100k in the UK

There's now way TLOU2 sold 3-4 millions between spring and december this year imo.

Game took a considerable amount of time to reach 10M after opening at 4M, even when it was already being sold for 30€ at the start of 2021.

It had some big never before seen discounts in the latter part of the year, I remember seeing $10 or so.

How does TLOU Remastered sell less than 1 million in 3.5 years but, PII sell 3-4 million in 8 months?

Slightly changed the bands but the crux is TLOU P1 has saturated. No new low price points and P1 remake addresses that need now. P2 reached some new sale price points this year.

It had some big never before seen discounts in the latter part of the year, I remember seeing $10 or so.

Yeah it reached 10$ for the first time at the end of last year, for less than 2 weeks though.

Before that it was 20$ which was the normal price for sales since the end of 2021.

It’s an interesting one. TLOU2 is still going to be a commercial success but it’s a massive drop from the first game.

Will be interesting if the tv series draws some extra sales.

I really don’t see how its a massive drop, its been two and half years and its at around what, 13 million without bundles and a remaster? If anything its tracking above TLOU1

It’s an interesting one. TLOU2 is still going to be a commercial success but it’s a massive drop from the first game.

TLOU 1 remastered was heavily bundled and was practically giving away for free since 2015 with every PS4 during holiday seasons.

ps4-triple-pack.png

91zXzCCzN8L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

71-KSkYkFOL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

console-playstation-4-jeu-bloodborne-last-of-u.jpg

HITS-5_bundle-sleeve_SEA_3D-e1542122222627-1024x806.png

I don't think TLOU 1 sales is really that impressive because we knew it was aggressively bundled by Sony.

Yup… can’t see LoU2 going up by much. The 1st have Multiplayer and the story is much better.

I actually wonder what will happen with a 3rd game.

Very well deserved, and glad to see Part 2's legs have recovered a bit

The 1st have Multiplayer and the story is much better.
Eh, disagree. The first game is a bog standard zombie post apocalypse "humans are the real monsters" story, while the second game's narrative is, flaws and all, one of the most ambitious story in the medium.

The multiplayer point isn't a bad one, but TLOU's long term sales or success was never defined by multiplayer at all, it was defined by new players coming in via catalog sales.

I don't think TLOU 1 sales is really that impressive because we knew it was aggressively bundled by Sony.
This argument is always so weird. MK8D has been aggressively bundled by Nintendo every Holiday season since 2018, are we now saying those sales aren't impressive?

Yeah I agree with the consensus opinion here.
TLOU1 (including remake): 25-26M
TLOU2: 10-11M (max 12M)

This argument is always so weird. MK8D has been aggressively bundled by Nintendo every Holiday season since 2018, are we now saying those sales aren't impressive?
I would say it's even weirder comparing Mario Kart to Last of Us. Last of Us got all of what Mario Kart got (rerelease and mass bundles) but only got as high as a speculated 25 or 26 million, while Mario Kart got the same but is on route to 70 or 80 million (including WiiU version).

I would say it's even weirder comparing Mario Kart to Last of Us. Last of Us got all of what Mario Kart got (rerelease and mass bundles) but only got as high as a speculated 25 or 26 million, while Mario Kart got the same but is on route to 70 or 80 million (including WiiU version).
Yes, MK8 is a better selling game than TLOU, this isn't news

Yes, MK8 is a better selling game than TLOU, this isn't news
No need to get snarky, you made the comparison. I just wanted to point out maybe some people don't find this performance impressive for many different reasons such as the sequel not seeming to perform super well, the mass bundles, the rerelease needing to be included, and the price cuts.

No need to get snarky, you made the comparison. I just wanted to point out maybe some people don't find this performance impressive for many different reasons such as the sequel not seeming to perform super well, the mass bundles, the rerelease needing to be included, and the price cuts.
I didn’t make a comparison, I made an analogy to point out many bestselling games have bundles adding to their counts, that caveat isn’t exclusive to TLOU.

The sequel not performing as well (it’s still a 10 million seller on a single platform, by any sensible definition of the word it performed “super well”) is down to a multitude of factors. I’m not going to discount the bundles and pricing points, but I would also not ignore the (thankfully tempered in the long run) impact that the toxicity surrounding the game for a year or so after launch had on its performance too.

Every sale is well deserved. I have enjoyed both games thoroughly. Naughty Dog is one of the best developers out there.

How much do Switch bundles sell each holiday? We do get the number each year I'm pretty sure, and every year most of MK8's sales didn't come from the bundles.

The Mario Kart bundles over the course of what, 5 years now, probably amount to 5M at this point? They were only sold during Black Friday week.

We could say 10-12% of total Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes from bundles.

The Last of Us at this point has 20-25% of its sales coming from bundles. It was the main bundled game for PS4 from January to October 2015 and was bundled in holiday 2019. I'd think around 3M or more from just the US, probably double that (or more) to account for worldwide.

How much do Switch bundles sell each holiday? We do get the number each year I'm pretty sure, and every year most of MK8's sales didn't come from the bundles.
I honestly don’t know how much the bundles are shipped or sold. Would anyone have that information?

And again, the point is not a literal comparison. We can talk about MK7 and 3DS if we want, where for the latter half of the system’s entire life cycle, most SKUs came bundled with the game. And yet this point is never brought up when discussing those sales.

Which of course it shouldn’t, the whole point I’m making is that bundles adding to overall sales aren’t as notable a caveat as people think. TLOU’s 20-25 million in 10 years (whatever the number is) isn’t less impressive because many copies came with the system.

I honestly don’t know how much the bundles are shipped or sold. Would anyone have that information?

And again, the point is not a literal comparison. We can talk about MK7 and 3DS if we want, where for the latter half of the system’s entire life cycle, most SKUs came bundled with the game. And yet this point is never brought up when discussing those sales.

Which of course it shouldn’t, the whole point I’m making is that bundles adding to overall sales aren’t as notable a caveat as people think. TLOU’s 20-25 million in 10 years (whatever the number is) isn’t less impressive because many copies came with the system.

Yeah, I feel like almost every major selling 20m+ game has had extensive bundling at some point. I feel like people only ever bring it up to downplay a sales milestone.

I didn’t make a comparison, I made an analogy to point out many bestselling games have bundles adding to their counts, that caveat isn’t exclusive to TLOU.

The sequel not performing as well (it’s still a 10 million seller on a single platform, by any sensible definition of the word it performed “super well”) is down to a multitude of factors. I’m not going to discount the bundles and pricing points, but I would also not ignore the (thankfully tempered in the long run) impact that the toxicity surrounding the game for a year or so after launch had on its performance too.
I get what you are saying, didn't mean to turn this into a Mario Kart vs Last of Us thread lol. Honeslty what you are saying is similar to what I say about Wii Sports. People discount it for its mass bundling but forget the mass hysteria Wii Sports caused. I just thought using Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in your analogy wasn't a good idea because of the massive difference in sales. I also think you under estimating the expectations people had for Last of Us 2. At one point, people thought it might have been Sony's biggest first party title competing with Spiderman. 10 million is good depending on your expectations. You know as well as I, some games have higher expectations than 10 million. I believe Last of Us 2 was one of them. Mario Kart 9 selling 10 million would be so bad it's not even funny, obviously there are other factors such as if Switch 2 sells less than 10 million itself lol.

This caveat is probably brought up because expectations for Last of Us 2 may have not been met, so they explain Last of Us 1 sales by saying it only reached the heights it did due to the bundling. Such thing wouldn't be said about MK7 because we have seen Mario Kart reach those heights on several occasions. MK7 literally sold less than MK DS and MK Wii. That's why Mario Kart is just not good for your analogies.

Last edited:

Actually it is less impressive, a lot of these bundles software is interchangeable, the hardware sells these games rather than the opposite. A good indicator is some of these games, like Last of Us 2, are beeing sold for bargain bin prices by Sony themselves right now. A good sign for low interest.

Split across titles probably looks like this:
- The Last of Us (PS3): 9M
- The Last of Us Remastered: 14-15M
- The Last of Us Part II: 11-12M
- The Last of Us Part I: 1-2M

The HBO show should give the franchise, particularly Part I, a big boost.

Split across titles probably looks like this:
- The Last of Us (PS3): 9M
- The Last of Us Remastered: 14-15M
- The Last of Us Part II: 11-12M
- The Last of Us Part I: 1-2M

The HBO show should give the franchise, particularly Part I, a big boost.
What's Last of Us Part I?

Fortunately we have sales data to see the performance of MK8D.

NPD(No bundles counted)

Then we have Japan sales thread. We also have France, Germany, UK, Spain and etc sales thread where MK8D constantly charting on the top 5 from 2017-2022 without bundle months.

It's really weird to make a comparison with a game that consistently charted without holiday bundle to TLOU remastered that was primarily sold in catalogue sales especially in a sales forum where there are huge compilation of sales data available.

Last edited:
Amazing sales for only two games, especially when they have been on ps+ a lot. TLOU2 has been redone twice now though, so there will be a lot of duplicates there.

I'll be really interested to see how popular factions gets.

Not really. The first game sold 20M after 5-6 years and with the lucky next gen re-release causing double dipping. TLOU P2 should have a LTD of 15-20M.

TLOU2 was also a huge financial success. In its first month it became the 4th highest grossing Playstation exclusive of all time NPD. By the end of the year it was 3rd.

Then we have Japan sales thread. We also have France, Germany, UK, Spain and etc sales thread where MK8D constantly charting on the top 5 from 2017-2022 without bundle months.

It's really weird to make a comparison with a game that consistently charted without holiday bundle to TLOU remastered that was primarily sold in catalogue sales especially in a sales forum where there are huge compilation of sales data available.

And yet your bundle theory has no actual data behind it just jpegs. Jpegs do not show sales volumes.

NPD only gives us the top 10/20 games per month/year. There are hundreds of games selling every year that goes unaccounted for.

Furthermore, TLOU and TLOU PII appeared on top physical and digital charts many times.

And we actual have data from Sony on bundled sales. A little over 10% of software sales in FY19 came from bundles, digital only titles and PSVR games.

NPD(No bundles counted)

A significant portion of MK8's sales are indeed from bundles. It's a system seller in bundle form, a good title that will sell both as a form of attracting new buyers to the platform and on its own. But it is *most definitely* butressed in raw numbers by bundles and to a significant degree.

TLOU Remaster is a weirder title to peg one way or another as it is itself a highly successful product in the past but has been re-released many times over. It would sell in both a bundle and on its own thanks to the pedigree but it is also an exhaustively re-released title in a short amount of years, so the whole thing is rather convoluted to judge.

I'd really not get hung up on TLOUR's sales between bundles, digital, and retail tbh.

TLOU 2 leg is not really hot it seems especially compared to TLOU 1 and i don't see TLOU1 Remake doing that big number as well. But still this show TLOU as a huge IP success from Sony.

I do wonder what they can do for the IP next instalment. Continue with TLOU 3 or pivot to new tagline with new characters.

Just want to throw this anecdote out there, that probably means little in the grand scheme of things. I have never seen a game drop as quickly and as much in price as TLOU2 did. IIRC by late 2020 it was already retailing for almost the same price as GoW 4 and way below Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushima.

Regarding the legs of TLOU2, I mean it's undeniable that it had disappointing legs. It took 2 years for TLOU2 to cross 10M, despite launching ~33% higher than GoW 4 and Spider-Man. Both GoW and Spider-Man were comfortably over 10M in their first year itself. TLOU2 is performing more in line with new IPs like Horizon Zero Dawn and Ghost of Tsushima, rather than previous SIE record breakers.

Using publicly released sold through numbers, here are my educated guesses for previous SIE sales juggernauts, in the corresponding time frame to TLOU2 (2 years):

TLOU2- 10M (x2.5 first week)
GoW 4- 16M (x5.2 first week)
Spidy- 19M (x5.7 first week)
HZD- 10M (x5.0 first week)
GOT- 10M (x3.8 first week)

You can clearly see which one is the weakest.

Last edited:
A significant portion of MK8's sales are indeed from bundles. It's a system seller in bundle form, a good title that will sell both as a form of attracting new buyers to the platform and on its own. But it is *most definitely* butressed in raw numbers by bundles and to a significant degree.

TLOU Remaster is a weirder title to peg one way or another as it is itself a highly successful product in the past but has been re-released many times over. It would sell in both a bundle and on its own thanks to the pedigree but it is also an exhaustively re-released title in a short amount of years, so the whole thing is rather convoluted to judge.

I'd really not get hung up on TLOUR's sales between bundles, digital, and retail tbh.
First I'm hearing of this, any actual data to back this up? The post you quoted (with actual data) says otherwise..

What is significant? In the fiscal year ending March 2020 they sold 3.4M bundled games.
In the fiscal year ending March 2021 they sold 3.8M bundled games and in the fiscal year ending March 2022 it was 1.5M. MK8D is not the only game that was bundled. ACNH and MHR for example were also bundled.
MK8D in those three fiscal years sold 8.08M, 10.62M and 9.94M.

Edit: We can see that the declines in bundles didn't lead to a significant decline in MK8D sales and previously MK8D increased to over 10M while bundles only increased slightly.

Last edited:
What is significant? In the fiscal year ending March 2020 they sold 3. bundled games.
In the fiscal year ending March 2021 they sold 3.8M bundled games and in the fiscal year ending March 2022 it was 1.5M. MK8D is not the only game that was bundled. ACNH and MHR for example were also bundled.
That's why it's really weird to drag MK8D into this when it was already stated in financial reports and shown in weekly/monthly/yearly sales charts that it had performed exceedingly well even without the holiday bundle.

Software(various software) bundle with hardware from Nintendo Financial reports vs MK8D units sold
FY3/2020: 3.40M vs 8.08M
FY3/2021: 3.80M vs 10.62M
FY3/2022: 1.50M vs 9.94M

What is significant? In the fiscal year ending March 2020 they sold 3.4M bundled games.

Edit: We can see that the declines in bundles didn't lead to a significant decline in MK8D sales and previously MK8D increased to over 10M while bundles only increased slightly.
I was certain I had read Nintendo gave us total bundle sw sales each fy but had forgotten were and thought I may have been mistaken. Are there no numbers for the previous years?

I was certain I had read Nintendo gave us total bundle sw sales each fy but had forgotten were and thought I may have been mistaken. Are there no numbers for the previous years?
Here you can find all of them.
It seems with their full fiscal year report in May 2020 they've changed the way their report documents are structured. They now seem to feature more information. I couldn't find anything on how much bundled software was sold in previous fiscal years.

This is their Financial Results Explanatory Material (with notes) for FY2020. These always have a ton of cool info.
Before that they used to have a document called Presentation Material which reads like a presentation. Here's the one for the FY2019:

First I'm hearing of this, any actual data to back this up? The post you quoted (with actual data) says otherwise..

I would think potentially millions of additional sales is still a significant addition is it not? I never said all of the sales of MK8 were bundles, that'd be silly it is itself a system seller after all so people *buy* the Switch for the game, the bundle is just a lower bar of entry for said/easier gift.

That said, I'll look over the fiscal report more closely but my understanding has long been that MK8 is the general bundle game and I can't even recall other significant bundles. There was an AC bundle but that is not common.

Feel free to correct me, though.

I would think potentially millions of additional sales is still a significant addition is it not?
I was mostly probing for those fy bundle numbers provided by BTB123. As I said, I thought Nintendo gave them but wasn't sure (I should probably start bookmarking links). They're definitely significant though the fy22 (just assuming all bundles are MK for simplicity) number really makes me question how much less (if any) MK's total sales might be without bundles. Definitely think that the Tlou is a title more dependent on them for it's overall total, that is mk would still be around the same ltd without bundles but Tlou would be quite a bit lower, just my opinion though.

I was mostly probing for those fy bundle numbers provided by BTB123. As I said, I thought Nintendo gave them but wasn't sure (I should probably start bookmarking links). They're definitely significant though the fy22 (just assuming all bundles are MK for simplicity) number really makes me question how much less (if any) MK's total sales might be without bundles. Definitely think that the Tlou is a title more dependent on them for it's overall total, that is mk would still be around the same ltd without bundles but Tlou would be quite a bit lower, just my opinion though.

Well as I said in my original post, TLOUR is a weird title because it is a highly saturated re-release cadence. It's unusual and kind of hard to prognosticate without more information on it.

In some ways, one could argue it is a title entirely designed for bundling! :p

Just want to throw this anecdote out there, that probably means little in the grand scheme of things. I have never seen a game drop as quickly and as much in price as TLOU2 did. IIRC by late 2020 it was already retailing for almost the same price as GoW 4 and way below Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushima.

Regarding the legs of TLOU2, I mean it's undeniable that it had disappointing legs. It took 2 years for TLOU2 to cross 10M, despite launching ~33% higher than GoW 4 and Spider-Man. Both GoW and Spider-Man were comfortably over 10M in their first year itself. TLOU2 is performing more in line with new IPs like Horizon Zero Dawn and Ghost of Tsushima, rather than previous SIE record breakers.

Using publicly released sold through numbers, here are my educated guesses for previous SIE sales juggernauts, in the corresponding time frame to TLOU2 (2 years):

TLOU2- 10M (x2.5 first week)
GoW 4- 16M (x5.2 first week)
Spidy- 19M (x5.7 first week)
HZD- 10M (x5.0 first week)
GOT- 10M (x3.8 first week)

You can clearly see which one is the weakest.
God of War had several bundles within the first year of its release and Spider-Man launched with the $199.99 PS4 Slim bundle and which sold over 1 million units. The game was around $29 during Black Friday, but didn't officially drop to $40 until almost a year later. Spider-Man dropped to $39.99 the fastest.

Quoted by: SSN
Back
Top Bottom