• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

The Interesting Case of Resident Evil 6 Sales recently

Ryuichi Naruhodo

Disciple
Today , Capcom Revealed the updated numbers for its Platinum page , but something that was happening recently reoccurred again this quarter , and that is Related to Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil 6 has 2 SKUs in the Platinum Page

1- The PS3/X360/DL SKU ( Which Includes the PC Version )
2- The PS4/X1 SKU

There is also the Switch SKU but it didn't surpass 1M yet so it isn't in the Page

The Strange thing is , Since 31 Dec 2020 until 30 June 2022 ( 6 Quarters , 18 Months ) , The PS4/X1 SKU is completely static , it didn't move a single 100K in all that Big Period , No matter how Discounts Came or how new entries released

Meanwhile on the Other hand , the PS3/X360/PC SKU Sold 600K in exact same period ( Which is Practically only the PC Version for the period above , since the PS3/X360 versions are considered dormant by now ) , with an impressive record of 100K for 6 Consecutive quarters

Worth Noting that RE6 on Steam has an impressive daily Peak CCU which is guaranteed to be over 1K and most of times is ranked the third RE game in terms of Peak Daily CCU behind RE2 and Village and it was only recently that it moved to 4th Place due to sudden boost of RE4 due to combination of the hdmod release and the Remake announcement which made it 1st place

Can't pinpoint a definitive reason why RE6 on PC keeps selling while it is completely static on PS4/X1 , Mods isn't exactly a strong point for it , Performance on PS4/X1 is on Par with PC , PC Version doesnt have any exclusivity except for a L4D Crossover for Merc mode and I doubt it is the main reason , RE6 Strong Points like Co-Op and Merc Mode is also present with the Console Version , Could it be that the game is famous in markets that has a regional pricing on steam but not on PS4/X1 ?

The regional pricing is a good deduction on the difference between versions selling. I can imagine RE6 likely sells for even cheaper than the usual $6-8 bucks it does on consoles.

It really can't be understated how much content is there for the price which has absolutely played into its legs regardless of its prior criticisms.

I know RE6 tends to go on sale for cheap on Steam and it isn't unusual to see recommended in like the discovery queue and such. Is there any history of the sales for RE6 on PS4 and XB1?

I know RE6 tends to go on sale for cheap on Steam and it isn't unusual to see recommended in like the discovery queue and such. Is there any history of the sales for RE6 on PS4 and XB1?

Its Usual discount price on consoles is around $8-9 AFAIK compared to $7.50 on Steam , that excludes third party resellers like Humble/GMG/etc where it sometime may go between $6-$7

The regional pricing is a good deduction on the difference between versions selling. I can imagine RE6 likely sells for even cheaper than the usual $6-8 bucks it does on consoles.

It really can't be understated how much content is there for the price which has absolutely played into its legs regardless of its prior criticisms.
I think reception of the game has warmed over the years. Anecdotal and small sample size and all, but I recently noticed that the user score of Metacritic for the recent Switch release is actually fairly positive, even the Steam reviews are fairly positive which I think a lot of people wouldn't have expected going off the OG PS360 era reviews (or even the PS4/X1 releases).

I think reception of the game has warmed over the years. Anecdotal and small sample size and all, but I recently noticed that the user score of Metacritic for the recent Switch release is actually fairly positive, even the Steam reviews are fairly positive which I think a lot of people wouldn't have expected going off the OG PS360 era reviews (or even the PS4/X1 releases).

Yea, it was like Big chunk of the negative reception was because people werent satisfied that this is the RE they got at that time and wishes the series to return to Survival Horror , when Capcom started returning to Survival Horror roots , People starting to look at RE6 differently and treat it on its own , and that of course resulted in a more positive reception

While not PC related, the game is a constant top seller on Switch in Japan as well which is another surprise.

I think it is combination of few things that appeals to Japanese RE Market , The Combo of Switch + Established characters + Action TP RE

Back
Top Bottom