• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

The Game Freak Thread: Pokémon, New IP Etc. [Update: COO on Quality vs. Timeliness]

Pokemon SV simply shouldn't have ran like it did. No excuse.

What I don't understand is why Gamefreak even went for 3D. Wouldn't something like Trails in the Sky be perfect for Pokemon? HD-2D sprites?
HD-2D sprites would have been more work & time consuming than 3D

It's hard to imagine now because people retroactively adore Black and White but at the time people hated how stagnant the franchise was on the DS. All the cool games around Pokémon were going 3D and here they were with their 2D sprites with three frames of animation. And the sales, while still good, were pretty muted for Pokémon games on the biggest handheld console ever. 3D was what everyone wanted and the natural path forward. This has worked out tremendously well for Game Freak, even with all the growing pains it has brought.

Sales on NDS, especially after DP, were affected by the R4.

It's hard to imagine now because people retroactively adore Black and White but at the time people hated how stagnant the franchise was on the DS. All the cool games around Pokémon were going 3D and here they were with their 2D sprites with three frames of animation. And the sales, while still good, were pretty muted for Pokémon games on the biggest handheld console ever. 3D was what everyone wanted and the natural path forward. This has worked out tremendously well for Game Freak, even with all the growing pains it has brought.
Sales aside, people were clowning on GF almost as much as they are clowning on them now. “They ran out of ideas” “The games are all the same” “the games are too easy” etc etc.
It was insufferable then too but people like to pretend Pokémon fans used to be happy about the games which never happened lol

I was playing Sword and Shield a month or so ago and it struck me how constrictive it was to play. It tried playing both elements (linear pathing and exploratory open world) and really didn't succeed in either. The DLCs were a little better, but you could tell that GameFreak was learning as it went on.

SwSh added a lot of positive small elements (adding coop with Raid Dens was a personal favorite. I much prefer coop multiplayer to competitive), but the larger structure just never hit its stride.

Scarlet and Violet though are really a great foundation when it comes to the future of Pokemon. Remember, in the early games you were greeted with "Welcome to the world of Pokemon!". And GameFreak has always done a good job of making memorable spaces and people. But with SV it can now be an actual world to explore.

The best part of the open world (other than finding real time shines) is seeing Pokemon live in the space. It's very elementary right now, but there's moments of surprise and delight that still put a smile on my face (favorites are Jigglypuffs blowing away in heavy winds and Sudowoodo running away in rain).

To see these creatures interact with the wild is the future of the series in my estimation. Watching them swim, fly, fight, eat, and observe is always enjoyable.

Player customization took a back step in SV compared to SwSh, but I hope that they continue to push beyond basic aesthetics and into allowing players to make something of worth in the world (bring back bases from gens 3 and 4?).

Also, as a forum that focuses on sales performance and understanding trends, data, and markets, the discussion on this game is opinionated in a way that's not actually touching on those trends, data, and markets.

Like, yeah. SV is so unoptimized that sometimes I wonder how it holds itself together (every time I enter the cave systems in west paldea I wonder how I'm not clipping through to my doom). But the trends, data, and markets *also* point towards an incredibly successful and enjoyable game for tens of millions of fans (and I've played the heck outta this game). Forum enthusiasts may find these two positions incompatable, but the market (and myself) does not hold this position.

The irony is that SwSh and SV, two games that have very... uh... passionate discussion, are set to be the two best selling Pokemon games since the original phenomenon. Why? What's happening? Why are markets and customers responding the way they are? Why are customer reviews on major retailers so positive despite technical... Hiccups? Why are new fans entering? Old fans leaving? Etc etc.

That's whats interesting in my opinion. Yeah, of course I want GameFreak to (finally) reach technical competency with other major studios. (Not holding my breath) And that's part of the conversation. But in the wider world, it's a small part of the overall sphere of Pokemons overall successes and failures.

Anyways, here's to the next adventure. #teamweavile

Sales aside, people were clowning on GF almost as much as they are clowning on them now. “They ran out of ideas” “The games are all the same” “the games are too easy” etc etc.
It was insufferable then too but people like to pretend Pokémon fans used to be happy about the games which never happened lol

Honestly, the last generation I’ve remembered fans being universally happy was Gen 2. IGN’s ‘too much water’ was a common complaint of Gen 3 and fan-favorite Gen 4 got blasted too because of the lack of endgame content outside of PVP.

Honestly, the last generation I’ve remembered fans being universally happy was Gen 2. IGN’s ‘too much water’ was a common complaint of Gen 3 and fan-favorite Gen 4 got blasted too because of the lack of endgame content outside of PVP.

Too much water was the remake of gen 3 in gen 6

But the complaint about Hoenn having too much water was around for the original, which is why it was weird fans blasted IGN for saying it.

Thank you. I saw the ‘too much water’ complaint from the original releases along with HMs being too important.

But the complaint about Hoenn having too much water was around for the original, which is why it was weird fans blasted IGN for saying it.
I think the actual complaint was more "too many water-types compared to everything else" but when IGN did their roundup of positives and negatives, they wrote "too much water", which makes less sense. And you know, people generally just rush to the end and see the number.

As of September 2023:
  1. Pokémon Red/Green/Blue (GB): 31.05
  2. Pokémon Sword/Shield (NSW): 26.02
  3. Pokémon Gold/Silver (GBC): 23.73
  4. Pokémon Scarlet/Violet (NSW): 23.23
  5. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (DS): 17.67
  6. Pokémon X/Y (3DS): 16.72
  7. Pokémon Sun/Moon (3DS): 16.32
  8. Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire (GBA): 16.22
  9. Pokémon Black/White (DS): 15.64
  10. Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu!/Eevee! (NSW): 15.07
  11. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl (NSW): 15.06
  12. Pokémon Legends: Arceus (NSW): 14.83
  13. Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition (GB): 14.64
  14. Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (3DS): 14.6
  15. Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver (DS): 12.72
  16. Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen (GBA): 12
  17. Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (3DS): 9.19
  18. Pokémon Black/White 2 (DS): 8.52
  19. Pokémon Platinum (DS): 7.6
  20. Pokémon Emerald (GBA): 7.06
  21. Pokémon Crystal (GBC): 6.39
Mainline Games:
  1. Pokémon Red/Green/Blue (GB): 31.05 (Gen I)
  2. Pokémon Sword/Shield (NSW): 26.02 (Gen VIII)
  3. Pokémon Gold/Silver (GBC): 23.73 (Gen II)
  4. Pokémon Scarlet/Violet (NSW): 23.23 (Gen IX)
  5. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (DS): 17.67 (Gen IV)
  6. Pokémon X/Y (3DS): 16.72 (Gen VI)
  7. Pokémon Sun/Moon (3DS): 16.32 (Gen VII)
  8. Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire (GBA): 16.22 (Gen III)
  9. Pokémon Black/White (DS): 15.64 (Gen V)
Enhanced Editions:
  1. Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition (GB): 14.64 (Gen I)
  2. Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (3DS): 9.19 (Gen VII)
  3. Pokémon Black/White 2 (DS): 8.52 (Gen V)
  4. Pokémon Platinum (DS): 7.6 (Gen IV)
  5. Pokémon Emerald (GBA): 7.06 (Gen III)
  6. Pokémon Crystal (GBC): 6.39 (Gen II)
Remakes:
  1. Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu!/Eevee! (NSW): 15.07
  2. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl (NSW): 15.06
  3. Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (3DS): 14.6
  4. Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver (DS): 12.72
  5. Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen (GBA): 12
I'm sure there's a few numbers here that aren't quite perfect, but it's what some basic googlin' got me.

Last edited:

Wonder what it will entail, although I suspect a longer generation cycle this time around.

I don't think this is even a question.

GF has never shy away from correcting their previous mistake. Thats has always been their problem though. With over correcting their weakness in their next one. Till now, we still havent got their perfect middle ground but hopefully GF can keep growing better there.

As of September 2023:
  1. Pokémon Red/Green/Blue (GB): 31.38
  2. Pokémon Sword/Shield (NSW): 26.02
  3. Pokémon Scarlet/Violet (NSW): 23.23
  4. Pokémon Gold/Silver (GBC): 23.1
Gold/Silver is at 23.73M and R/G/B at 31.05M according to this:
Handheld consoles
A3XSzTi.jpg
Although this does make me wonder why I've seen these other numbers of 23.1M and 31.38M so often already.
@Celine, maybe you could tell us where these numbers come from exactly.

Gold/Silver is at 23.73M and R/G/B at 31.05M according to this:

Although this does make me wonder why I've seen these other numbers of 23.1M and 31.38M so often already.
@Celine, maybe you could tell us where these numbers come from exactly.
Celine has provided Oricon as a source for GS: https://life.oricon.co.jp/news/72880/

Have you prepared for gen10? 30thA

ikkaku will not be out too early next year

Assuming the riddler still has sources, PLZA is not coming early next year (maybe spring/summer?) and gen 10 is coming in 2026, so Scarlet and Violet will be the first 4 year gen in almost 20 years.

Assuming the riddler still has sources, PLZA is not coming early next year (maybe spring/summer?) and gen 10 is coming in 2026, so Scarlet and Violet will be the first 4 year gen in almost 20 years.
Wasn't the riddler wrong with basically every "leak"/riddle before the last Pokémon Presents?

Wasn't the riddler wrong with basically every "leak"/riddle before the last Pokémon Presents?
yea, once SV content was done, nothing Khu said has panned out. they most likely lost their sources (either they were fired or their contract ran out). the codename was the last thing they got right, but only the name as they associated it with the wrong product.

saying ZA is after the FY and Gen 10 is a very cold reading that every has made/hoped for. if he wants to show credibility, he'd give us a name or something to check back on

as for Game Freak, I suspect (as does everyone) that cadence between releases will be much longer as development is now significantly more intensive. it also means fuck ups will weigh even heavier. how the squad works to mitigate that will be a real test of aptitude. personally, I think we'll see bigger side-games from the likes of ILCA and other companies

Last edited:
Will Project Bloom be Game Freaks first AAA game?

https://www.theverge.com/23716737/game-freak-developer-project-bloom-game

Is it possible that this game goes multiplatform? Would that be the first console game they make that is not Nintendo exclusive?
The Pokemon games are by most standards AAA. They don't have the visual fidelity due to being Switch titles and having 500 different creatures per title but, they have credits of over 1000 now.

It will be most likely be multiplatform since that's what they did with most of the Gear Project games, especially since they are working with Private Division (assuming it sticks around for this to release). If Private does fully shut down, there should be other options like Bandai Namco or EA instead of scrapping the other versions to work with Nintendo.

Some of Private Division's studios have shut down, but Private Division as a label/publisher is still around.

while not Game Freak, The Pokemon Company International is hiring for game development in Unity. the first like is very obviously tied to the TCG Live, but it mentions other projects

definitely good to have more games in the pipeline as Game Freak won't be able to keep the old cadence unless they start making 3DS-level games at 4K (which would be pretty bitchin)

top 10 SV characters from Nintendo Dream magazine
  1. Kieran
  2. Arven
  3. Rika
  4. Carmine
  5. Florian/Juliana
  6. Drayton
  7. Nemona
  8. Larry
  9. Grusha
  10. Iono
and Perrin in the top 15

goes to show when you actually write characters worth a damn, people love them. at least GF has been getting better at it instead of sporadic flashes of greatness

top 10 SV characters from Nintendo Dream magazine
  1. Kieran
  2. Arven
  3. Rika
  4. Carmine
  5. Florian/Juliana
  6. Drayton
  7. Nemona
  8. Larry
  9. Grusha
  10. Iono
and Perrin in the top 15

goes to show when you actually write characters worth a damn, people love them. at least GF has been getting better at it instead of sporadic flashes of greatness

SV has one of the most memorable cast in series, even the gym leaders felt more "alive" than just stand in trainers to fight. Arceus was also great so things are looking up for ZA and Gen 10

Sun and Moon main cast is underappreciated.

Guzma, Lillie and Lusamine are goated. Fuck USUM however, insulting rewriting of the best aspect of the story of SM.

Sun and Moon main cast is underappreciated.

Guzma, Lillie and Lusamine are goated. Fuck USUM however, insulting rewriting of the best aspect of the story of SM.
Yep. I still think Sun & Moon have the best cast and general writing in the franchise. Game sometimes felt like a Earthbound-like with its quirky writing (like the Pokédex entries, etc.)

definitely good to have more games in the pipeline as Game Freak won't be able to keep the old cadence unless they start making 3DS-level games at 4K (which would be pretty bitchin)
4 years per generation should definitely be the new normal

2026 - Gen 10
2027 - DLC for Gen 10
2028 - Legends
2029 - ??? (Outsourced classic remake?)
2030 - Gen 11
2031 - DLC for Gen 11
2032 - Legends

By 2034 the next console should already be out, and so begins the cycle anew

Back
Top Bottom