The Game Awards 2023 | December 7th @ 4:30PM PT | A Catch-All Discussion Thread [The Results Are Here!]

Which of the following nominees wins Game of The Year at The Game Awards?

• Alan Wake 2

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 36 46.2%
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 35 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I will be honest, a lot of TOTK praise post launch came from big fans, the game sold really well but it never reached the same kind of "zeitgeist" that Breath of the Wild reached in 2017.

It did well and it was popular in Titktok for a few weeks but most of people atention went to BG3 after that
Post automatically merged:

So are BG3 and Elden Ring.
BG3 it is a iterative sequel to Divinity 2, theres not much to do with BG2

i don’t think you can have a Zeitgest game twice in a row. Even with the hype and sales of TOTK and a bit to a lesser extent GoWR, you’re just never going to get people as excited as the first time around.

BG3 and Elden Ring really caught on with the casual market, something TOTK already did the first time around.

It's just the "curse" of being a sequel that reuses a lot of assets of its predecessor and releases on the same platform. These games always invoke a "Been there, done that" feeling, that you can't shake off, no matter how much the devs try to make things feel fresh and improve upon the prequel. There are tons of examples, especially on the Sony side with Spiderman, Horizon, GoW, etc. On Nintendo's side, a pretty good example outside of Zelda would be the Super Mario Galaxy duology. A lot of people think that SMG2 is the better one (understandably IMO), but it's always SMG1 that gets all the attention and laurels (not to forget that it sold quite a bit better than 2).

Some people argue that BG3 can also be seen as a iterative sequel to Divinity 2 (can't comment on that because I never played Div 2), but I think @Remember_spinal is right on the money with the post above. BG3 caught on with the casual market, something Divinity failed to do. Zelda already exploded with BotW. A sequel that in its essense is "more of the same" won't do that again.
Anyway, I'm very interested in Nintendo's next move with the franchise and how they'll try to replicate the BotW cultural impact.

BG3 it is a iterative sequel to Divinity 2, theres not much to do with BG2
Yes, pretty much every single Larian game has been an iterative sequel. They've just been honing the formula for two decades.
BG3 was a new game (BG1 and BG2 were released like centuries ago) and Elden Ring was a new open world game. It was not Elden Ring 2.
As above, BG3 is still an iterative sequel. And you know damn well everyone and their mother knew Elden Ring was Dark Souls 4: Open World Edition, let's not play dumb.

Yes, pretty much every single Larian game has been an iterative sequel. They've just been honing the formula for two decades.

As above, BG3 is still an iterative sequel. And you know damn well everyone and their mother knew Elden Ring was Dark Souls 4: Open World Edition, let's not play dumb.
So considering it's not like previous Souls games were open world.....you're admitting it's more BOTW than TOTK?

BG3 is indeed an iterative sequel... But to a game that masses didn't care about (DOS1/2)

Your game needs to be good but it also needs to have the hype from masses. For the vast majority of people BG3 was a new genre, some people even call it a "game changer" even if the game itself has been done plenty of times, albeit not with this care (by even the same dev too).

TOTK was a much more groundbreaking game imo in terms of gameplay but it was also the sequel to a game that already won plenty of awards and is held by many as one of the best games ever, so it was always going to be hard to get thst same recognition.

IMO TOTK is a much more impressive game than BG3 (that the game never crashed once even with all stuff happening is something gets overlooked too much, even day 1... Meanwhile bg3 had plenty of issues on release, even to this day).

But who cares about awards anyway

Honestly a bit disappointed at how poorly TotK was acknowledged in both D.I.C.E and GDC despite its impressive presentation at the latter. Well, at least it got something at the GDC. Seems like I was wrong too and developers were more on board with BG3 than Totk, partly because of Larian's whole "fuck the big publishers" message that resonated with the devs (see Swen's GDC speech).

Also saw the article talking about how BG3 is more prestigious than BotW and Elden Ring because it's the first to win the "five major" GOTY awards (which are all western awards). Especially when the one award that made the difference is BAFTA, which is notorious for not giving GOTY to Japanese games outside of one game. BAFTA is very similar to Famitsu Awards in that regard (not letting foreign games win).

Goes to show how little people think about the eastern video game industry when BotW and Elden Ring is automatically labeled as "inferior" and "less acclaimed" because they couldn't win at the BAFTAs. Meanwhile BG3 isn't required to win any Japanese awards to be treated as "universally acclaimed." I guess "universal" in this case doesn't include Asians. Great for BG3, but man do I dislike the disrespect toward Japanese games and the eastern video game industry.

Yeah I'm sure BG3 is getting awards because of Swen's speeches and anti-japanese bias, not because it is a really good game.

Yeah I'm sure BG3 is getting awards because of Swen's speeches and anti-japanese bias, not because it is a really good game.
Such a reductive take and oversimplification of what I’m saying. Those are factors, not the only reason why BG3 won awards. Of course it being a great game is a big reason, no one is going to deny that.

Good job straw manning though so you don’t actually have to address why BAFTA refused to give Japanese games GOTY outside one game like Famitsu Awards did with western games. Instead, you can continue saying that I only think BG3 won any awards (not just BAFTA) at all because of anti-Japanese bias.

What a great response. Your first thought is to be as disrespectful as possible when you saw how I mentioned people ignore Japanese Awards and the eastern video game industry when they talk about prestige.

Hellblade won BAFTA in 2017, no?

Theres a clear bias there, tbh
Hellblade won most of the other awards but the overall GOTY went to What Remains of Edith Finch of all things (great game, just weird to award that out of all the exceptional 2017 releases)

TOTK was absolutely a zeitgeist monster title. You don't sell 10 million in 3 days without being that. Some of you are underselling how big that title was. There were lines around the corner in cites all over the world.

But I think a combination of people getting sick of "TOTK will win everything", the extreme release window of summer/fall of 2023, BOTW previous success, and Baldur's Gate over-the-top success created an environment that set everything up for Baldur's Gate to cruise into awards season.

And Divinity Original Sin 2 was not some small title. It sold over 7 million and is considered one of the best RPG's ever. It's what made Baldur's Gate III possible.

TOTK was absolutely a zeitgeist monster title. You don't sell 10 million in 3 days without being that. Some of you are underselling how big that title was. There were lines around the corner in cites all over the world.

It didn’t stick around as long as BoTW did when it released. For the month of May it was very loudly a ToTK holiday month, where nothing else mattered that month, even Jedi Survivor was drowned out.

I think once june came around with Diablo, SF6, and FFXVI a lot of the discussion kind of faded on TOTK even though it was still selling a crazy amount. Soon after that you had BG3, Starfield, Cyberpunk, etc. etc.

The enthusiasm for ToTK wasn’t enough to drown out the big titles that came after it like the other ‘Zeitgeist’ games behind mentioned. BG3 released and never really left discussion up until award season.

It didn’t stick around as long as BoTW did when it released. For the month of May it was very loudly a ToTK holiday month, where nothing else mattered that month, even Jedi Survivor was drowned out.

I think once june came around with Diablo, SF6, and FFXVI a lot of the discussion kind of faded on TOTK even though it was still selling a crazy amount. Soon after that you had BG3, Starfield, Cyberpunk, etc. etc.

The enthusiasm for ToTK wasn’t enough to drown out the big titles that came after it like the other ‘Zeitgeist’ games behind mentioned. BG3 released and never really left discussion up until award season.
Of all those games, only BG3 stood above Zelda. All the other ones fell really fast outside of SF2.

Of all those games, only BG3 stood above Zelda. All the other ones fell really fast outside of SF2.

Those aren’t zeitgeist games. I’m just saying that the conversation around ToTK started to dissipate once an onslaught of other highly rated games came out.

That didn’t really happen for BoTW, BG3, or Elden Ring. They pretty much absorbed any headlines the games came after it had even going into award season. I don’t think many people were still talking about ToTK by September and after BG3 came out even the GOTY conversation greatly changed

I think even if BG3 hadn’t come out last year AW2 probably would have put up a good fight for GOTY awards

But I think a combination of people getting sick of "TOTK will win everything", the extreme release window of summer/fall of 2023, BOTW previous success, and Baldur's Gate over-the-top success created an environment that set everything up for Baldur's Gate to cruise into awards season.

And Divinity Original Sin 2 was not some small title. It sold over 7 million and is considered one of the best RPG's ever. It's what made Baldur's Gate III possible.

I wouldn't call it cruise since while BG3 won the most, Tears of the Kingdom still won over 20 GOTY awards in a pack year. It just didn't win the 'big' ones like GA and DICE.

Those aren’t zeitgeist games. I’m just saying that the conversation around ToTK started to dissipate once an onslaught of other highly rated games came out.

That didn’t really happen for BoTW, BG3, or Elden Ring. They pretty much absorbed any headlines the games came after it had even going into award season. I don’t think many people were still talking about ToTK by September and after BG3 came out even the GOTY conversation greatly changed

I think even if BG3 hadn’t come out last year AW2 probably would have put up a good fight for GOTY awards

I know this isn't true since plenty of online discussions happened with Tears of the Kingdom in September since that is when Starfield released and it got compared a lot to both Tears of the Kingdom and BG3, and not in a good way since both game ate its lunch in different ways.

AW2 is very much an online game. Namely, a lot of people talked about it online, but it was almost never brought up in casual conversation, especially compared to Wonder.

According to the GOTY awards tracker that I've been using:

Baldur's Gate 3: 203 awards (54% of the total)
Tears of the Kingdom: 74 awards (19.7% of the total)
Alan Wake 2: 49 awards (13% of the total)

I think @Remember_spinal is right, actually. Remove BG3 from the equation and while TOTK will certainly clean up, I don't think it'll be quite the BOTW/ER/BG3 style dominance. Alan Wake was talked about online, sure, but it was especially popular among critics, as all Remedy games are - and ultimately they're the ones who decide most of the awards. It'll certainly snag home some more trophies as well, some of which people would think TOTK had in the bag. (At the risk of adding coal to the fire, I'm extremely confident that the BAFTA would've been one of them.)

That baing said, @RDragon's assertion that "AW2 is very much an online game" does hold merit. The awards tracker also tells you how many GOTY awards were Reader's Choice - essentially, publically voted:

Baldur's Gate 3: 50 awards
Tears of the Kingdom: 16 awards
Alan Wake 2: 5 awards
Marvel's Spider-Man 2: 4 awards
Hogwarts Legacy: 3 awards

This is where Alan Wake 2's EGS and digital-only release backfires - the vast majority of the RC awards will very likely go to the 20 million seller that was the GOTY frontrunner until BG3 came outta nowhere with a steel chair. Whatever awards don't go to said game will probably go to the games with based off of major multimedia IP rather than Alan Wake 2. (While it's also pretty possible that Alan Wake 2 secures more than the IP games, I still assert that it'll be nowhere near what TOTK gets.)

According to the GOTY awards tracker that I've been using:

Baldur's Gate 3: 203 awards (54% of the total)
Tears of the Kingdom: 74 awards (19.7% of the total)
Alan Wake 2: 49 awards (13% of the total)

I think @Remember_spinal is right, actually. Remove BG3 from the equation and while TOTK will certainly clean up, I don't think it'll be quite the BOTW/ER/BG3 style dominance. Alan Wake was talked about online, sure, but it was especially popular among critics, as all Remedy games are - and ultimately they're the ones who decide most of the awards. It'll certainly snag home some more trophies as well, some of which people would think TOTK had in the bag. (At the risk of adding coal to the fire, I'm extremely confident that the BAFTA would've been one of them.)

That baing said, @RDragon's assertion that "AW2 is very much an online game" does hold merit. The awards tracker also tells you how many GOTY awards were Reader's Choice - essentially, publically voted:

Baldur's Gate 3: 50 awards
Tears of the Kingdom: 16 awards
Alan Wake 2: 5 awards
Marvel's Spider-Man 2: 4 awards
Hogwarts Legacy: 3 awards

This is where Alan Wake 2's EGS and digital-only release backfires - the vast majority of the RC awards will very likely go to the 20 million seller that was the GOTY frontrunner until BG3 came outta nowhere with a steel chair. Whatever awards don't go to said game will probably go to the games with based off of major multimedia IP rather than Alan Wake 2. (While it's also pretty possible that Alan Wake 2 secures more than the IP games, I still assert that it'll be nowhere near what TOTK gets.)
I think that website stopped being updated at some point unfortunately. The Era thread has a more updated total (although %s are basically the same):

BG3 284 (53%)
TOTK 114 (21%)
AW2 62 (12%)

And yeah if you reframe it as % of their awards that were readers choice, that is 31% for BG3, 25% for TOTK and 10% for AW2. It is quite strongly correlated with sales.

I think it's amazing looking back at how much BG3 dominated, in what was by all accounts an incredible year for gaming with so many GOTY worthy games. It's hard to imagine anything will ever come close to Elden Ring again (which won 73% of awards) but BG3 getting close to Witcher 3 (59%) & BOTW (57%) and beating God of War (51%) & TLOU2 (50%) is pretty crazy.

I think that website stopped being updated at some point unfortunately. The Era thread has a more updated total (although %s are basically the same):

BG3 284 (53%)
TOTK 114 (21%)
AW2 62 (12%)

And yeah if you reframe it as % of their awards that were readers choice, that is 31% for BG3, 25% for TOTK and 10% for AW2. It is quite strongly correlated with sales.

I think it's amazing looking back at how much BG3 dominated, in what was by all accounts an incredible year for gaming with so many GOTY worthy games. It's hard to imagine anything will ever come close to Elden Ring again (which won 73% of awards) but BG3 getting close to Witcher 3 (59%) & BOTW (57%) and beating God of War (51%) & TLOU2 (50%) is pretty crazy.

ER came out during a pretty lull year outside of GOW, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, and Horizon 2 as GOTY contenders. And Xenoblade Chronicles 3 despite being great game was too niche to win anything big, hence how it lost Best Music to GOW, which baffled everyone. Same with how OT2 didn't even get a best Music Score nomination or even nominated for best RPG.

Breath of the Wild's year was more pack with Horizon, Odyssey, RE7, Prey, Nier, Hollow Knight, DQ11, and Hellblade.

This isn't to take anything from ER, but the fact is it had less competition compared to Breath of the Wild and BG3.

Back
Top Bottom