Switch million-sellers: gotta list'em all

I can say Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition is a million seller just counting its sales in Europe. This is one of those titles that goes under the radar but keeps selling steadily every year.

Edit: Oh, I realized it has already been brought up here.

Update of the original post:
  • Addition of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate to the base of confirmed million sellers
  • Addition of Monster Hunter Stories: Wings of Ruin the base of hypothetical million sellers (thanks @Astrogamer )
  • Addition of Overcooked to the base of hypothetical million sellers (thanks @mbolibombo )
  • Addition of Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin and Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town to the base of hypothetical million sellers (thanks @Night )
  • Addition of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy to the base of hypothetical million sellers (thanks @BTB123 )
Let me share other sources that can be helpful in the future (and thanks to @mbolibombo again for your suggestion): "The 10 Current Best-Selling Indie Games On Switch" provided by Nintendo in March 2018 and March 2019, and the "Annual Best-Selling Indie Games On Switch" for the year 2021.
Note that for the 3 links, we are talking about list and not ranking. But I still expect some valuable information. For example, Shovel Knight was confirmed to be at 370K units sold on Switch as of April 2018 but does not appear in the top 10 in March 2019. So every game of the list is confirmed to be >370k as of March 2019. Maybe we can find other info like this!

Anyway, I am really glad of how this topic is living and of all the interactions we have :)

• Addition of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate to the base of confirmed million sellers
  • Addition of Monster Hunter Stories: Wings of Ruin the base of hypothetical million sellers (thanks @Astrogamer )
  • Addition of Overcooked to the base of hypothetical million sellers (thanks @mbolibombo )
  • Addition of Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin and Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town to the base of hypothetical million sellers (thanks @Night )
  • Addition of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy to the base of hypothetical million sellers (thanks @BTB123 )
Let me share other sources that can be helpful in the future (and thanks to @mbolibombo again for your suggestion): "The 10 Current Best-Selling Indie Games On Switch" provided by Nintendo in March 2018 and March 2019, and the "Annual Best-Selling Indie Games On Switch" for the year 2021.
Note that for the 3 links, we are talking about list and not ranking. But I still expect some valuable information. For example, Shovel Knight was confirmed to be at 370K units sold on Switch as of April 2018 but does not appear in the top 10 in March 2019. So every game of the list is confirmed to be >370k as of March 2019. Maybe we can find other info like this!

Anyway, I am really glad of how this topic is living and of all the interactions we have :)
Are you also updating DQXIS in your first post? Given that it's well over 1 million on Switch alone.

Are you also updating DQXIS in your first post? Given that it's well over 1 million on Switch alone.
On this point, I feel unconfortable to put DQ XI as a confirmed million seller. Of course, we know it is the case, but the only proof we have is that the game sold in retail in Japan between 800k (Famitsu) and 930k (Media Create). The eshop ranking you pointed at (thanks by the way, that is some valuable stuff) does not allow me to conclude anything, as I was not able to get the sales of a games under DQ XI in the rankings, so no lower bound on the sales (maybe I miss something). Where does your estimates 120k-130k for annual eshop sales come from?
This is the reason why I put the label "almost sure", looking forward to get a definitive proof. I hope you understand.

Another question to the community : would you consider Famitsu or Media-create as the most reliable source and why? I would say that it is just different poll techniques or samples but do we have tracks of the relevance of each estimation?

I just check rayman legend, on ranking cup it is said that there are 2 933 884 players.
Thank you for you message. I am not familiar with the ranking cup. Can we conclude something? Is it exclusive to the definitive edition? Different account of a console are counting separately?

Yes, it is exclusive to definitive edition.
And i think that different account are counting separately.
Rayman legends is often in eshop promo and is now 9th on french eshop ranking.
Around 3 millions players means that this game is million seller, more than 1 million.

Mortal Kombat 11 is another likely million seller given that Mortal Kombat 11 is at least on par with Mortal Kombat X sales and Mortal Kombat 11 topped the Switch charts during its launch month in the NPD. It doesn't make the top 10 at the end of the 2019 for Switch but, I'm pretty sure those were all above 1 million

• Addition of Dead Cells to the base of hypothetical million sellers (thanks @bixente , @mbolibombo ) with the following arguments
    • 6M multiplat as of November 2021 including 700k early access PC and at least 1M mobile in China
    • Developper said back in August 2019 that sales on Switch were" ridiculous"
    • Source:
      Twitter PR
      nintendolife
      destructoid
  • Addition of Rayman Legends Definitive Edition to the base of hypothetical million sellers (thanks @Raguy ) with the following arguments
    • 4.5M multiplat as of February 2019
    • 3M player on ranking cup as of February 2023
    • Sources:
      guinessrecords
      IB post
  • Addition of a MISCELLANOUS section with as example the last known total of million seller of NDS and WII (thanks @BTB123 )
  • Addition of new sources
The next big step will be to look deeper to FIFA sales. If any of you has information, it may help a lot !

Hello everyone,
For fun, I just ask chatGPT if it can help us for listing the switch million sellers. Here is its answer :

-------------------
Here is a list of third-party Nintendo Switch games that have sold at least one million copies per fiscal year:

Fiscal year 2017 (April 2017 - March 2018):

• Minecraft (2.50 million)
  • Sonic Mania Plus (1.02 million) (Source: Nintendo Annual Financial Reports, p. 18-19)
Fiscal year 2018 (April 2018 - March 2019):

• Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (1.03 million) (Source: Nintendo Annual Financial Reports, p. 16-17)
Fiscal year 2019 (April 2019 - March 2020):

• Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (1.03 million) (Source: Nintendo Annual Financial Reports, p. 16-17)
Fiscal year 2020 (April 2020 - March 2021):

• Minecraft (1.68 million)
  • Among Us (1.50 million)
  • Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time (1.18 million) (Source: Nintendo Annual Financial Reports, p. 16-17)
These sales figures include both physical and digital sales of third-party Nintendo Switch games worldwide. Note that some games may have been published by Nintendo in certain regions, but published by third parties in other regions. For more information on sales figures for Nintendo Switch third-party games, you can refer to Nintendo's Annual Financial Reports.

You can access Nintendo's Annual Financial Reports on their Investor Relations website: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/index.html

Alternatively, you can email [email protected] to request the documents.
---------------

I went through the Nintendo Annual Financial reports and it didn't find anything about the games it mentionned.
For example, when I ask it about Sonic Mania Plus it drives me to : https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180426e.pdf where I didn't find anything about Sonic. That is quite strange. I know that chatGPT only has access to its learning data base, which is not up to date, so maybe the Nintendo files changed between late 2021 (the end of ChatGPT learning period) and today? I don't think so, but I don't understand where it find these informations otherwise...

Anyway, we have some new potential million sellers, but we still need to find the sources...

Hello everyone,
For fun, I just ask chatGPT if it can help us for listing the switch million sellers. Here is its answer :

-------------------
Here is a list of third-party Nintendo Switch games that have sold at least one million copies per fiscal year:

Fiscal year 2017 (April 2017 - March 2018):

• Sonic Mania Plus (1.02 million) (Source: Nintendo Annual Financial Reports, p. 18-19)
Fiscal year 2018 (April 2018 - March 2019):

• Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (1.03 million) (Source: Nintendo Annual Financial Reports, p. 16-17)
Fiscal year 2019 (April 2019 - March 2020):

• Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (1.03 million) (Source: Nintendo Annual Financial Reports, p. 16-17)
Fiscal year 2020 (April 2020 - March 2021):

• Minecraft (1.68 million)
  • Among Us (1.50 million)
  • Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time (1.18 million) (Source: Nintendo Annual Financial Reports, p. 16-17)
These sales figures include both physical and digital sales of third-party Nintendo Switch games worldwide. Note that some games may have been published by Nintendo in certain regions, but published by third parties in other regions. For more information on sales figures for Nintendo Switch third-party games, you can refer to Nintendo's Annual Financial Reports.

You can access Nintendo's Annual Financial Reports on their Investor Relations website: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/index.html

Alternatively, you can email [email protected] to request the documents.
---------------

I went through the Nintendo Annual Financial reports and it didn't find anything about the games it mentionned.
For example, when I ask it about Sonic Mania Plus it drives me to : https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180426e.pdf where I didn't find anything about Sonic. That is quite strange. I know that chatGPT only has access to its learning data base, which is not up to date, so maybe the Nintendo files changed between late 2021 (the end of ChatGPT learning period) and today? I don't think so, but I don't understand where it find these informations otherwise...

Anyway, we have some new potential million sellers, but we still need to find the sources...
The financial reports always have exactly 15 pages. All of these sources are apparently on pages that don't exist.

The Among Us number is clearly wrong since we actually have a source stating that it sold 3.2M from it's launch on Switch on December 15th 2020 until December 31st 2020.

The Minecraft numbers are questionable because there's no way it stays the exact same for three years in a row and then in the Switch's biggest year it suddenly sells way less. The numbers in every year seem low to me since it always kept charting everywhere physically and digitally in line with Nintendo games that sold significantly more than 2.5M in any given year.

The Crash Bandicoot numbers seem fishy too with the trilogy and Crash Team Racing selling exactly the same and the fourth game having sold more is very weird since it charted lower everywhere iirc. I am certain all of these games are million sellers, but these specific numbers are definitely wrong and not sourced.

What exactly is ChatGPT?

ChatGPT is an AI and the current state of AI doesn't have them properly understand how to pull data from database. A lot of the movement with AI is overly focused on it sounding good rather than being accurate.

ChatGPT is an AI and the current state of AI doesn't have them properly understand how to pull data from database. A lot of the movement with AI is overly focused on it sounding good rather than being accurate.
That is interesting. This AI clearly didn't do a good job.

I wouldn't trust ChatGPT - if you ask it what GiFTPiA is, it says the game was released in Japan and the US. Then ask what Captain Rainbow is, and GiFTPiA is again mentioned, but as being Japan-only. It's a very inconsistent resource.

Yeah, never trust ChatGPT or any of these AI chat bots on this kinda stuff - they're trained to give you outputs that sound right, not to actually be truthful and factual.

Now, that doesn't mean those titles aren't million sellers - I think every single one is a million seller in general, and probably on Switch alone as well; but not because of what ChatGPT or any other predictive AI chat bot says.

• Addition of Sonic Frontiers to the base of hypothetical ("Very Likely") million sellers with the following arguments
    • 3M multiplat as of March 2023
    • Source: Twitter PR
  • Addition of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - The Hinokami Chronicles to the base of hypothetical ("Very Likely") million sellers with the following arguments
    • 1,3M as of Dec 2021 without Switch then 2.2m as of June 2022 after its first three weeks of Switch sales.
    • 3M multiplat as of March 2023
    • Sources: Youtube PR, Famitsu, Twitter PR
Both seems to be Very Likely million sellers to me, but we can discuss it.

Furthermore, a remark : if you create or update a "milestone" thread on the site, please post the information here as well. Itwill help me a lot to update the list. Thank you :)

I think Snipperclips is a title that can be on the Possible list, considering it was one of the launch titles and reviewed nicely all around.

We all know that Nintendo does not provide figures on their digital-only title but this happens to be one of the rare exclusions - it is downloaded 350K times as of April 2017 (Source, page 5)
By end of 2017, it was the fifth most downloaded game on NSW outside Japan, and the second most downloaded in Japan, right behind Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition. (Source)

It is successful enough to warrant the development of an expansion, then a physical release in November 2017 titled Snipperclips Plus: Cut It Out Together. The physical release did 47K in Japan as of January 2018. (Source) Game Data Library said it sold 118K but I can't seem to find the source.

After so many years, I am quite confident that this game is a million seller, and I am excited to see what the developers does next.

The physical release did 47K in Japan as of January 2018. (Source) Game Data Library said it sold 118K but I can't seem to find the source.
According to Famitsu it sold 55k as of week 6 2018.
The source for the 118k might be the Media Create White Book for that year.

• Addition of Snipperclips to the base of hypothetical ("Possible") million sellers with the following arguments (thanks to @Night , @BTB123 )
  • Addition of FIFA 23 to the base of hypothetical ("Almost Sure") million sellers with the following arguments (thanks to @Lelouch0612 )
    • 235K units retail on Switch in France by the end of 2022
    • Source: SELL Report
  • Addition of Little Nightmares to the base of hypothetical ("Very Likely") million sellers with the following arguments
  • Addition of Little Nightmares II to the base of hypothetical ("Very Likely") million sellers with the following arguments
  • Update Sonic Frontier Numbers (3.2M)

A lot a new info will show up in the coming days with all the financial results :)
Do not hesitate to post info in this thread as well!

Update of the list of confirmed million sellers published by Nintendo of the OP after the Nintendo Financial Results:
Note that there are 13 titles published by 3rd parties that are million sellers during FY 23. Lots of games to find yet! :)

Puyo Puyo Tetris was confirmed "close" to a million in 2018.

2 years later total sales were confirmed 1.4m across all platforms.

So this is a likely Switch million seller imo.

Update of the list of confirmed million sellers published by Nintendo of the OP after the Nintendo Financial Results:
Note that there are 13 titles published by 3rd parties that are million sellers during FY 23. Lots of games to find yet! :)
Would mario rabbids count as third party? That would be one for sure if so

The Mario + rabbids kingdom battle already is in the confirmed nintendo published games list. The sequel, sparks of hope will also appear in this list, but we have no info to my knowledge. As explained in the OP, I chose to put game in this list if there is at least one region where Nintendo is the publisher. It is a personal choice.

So with switch sports and ToTK the switch would have 20 10+ million sellers. Would that be a record?
For a Nintendo system? Yes. Altogether? I don't know but I doubt it. CoD entries routinely sell more than 15 million copies and they launch almost yearly on the PS-ecosystems. On top of that, FIFA and NBA 2K yearly iterations also reach stupendous numbers. And finally, you have Sony's first party titles which have also reached the bar quite frequently.

So with switch sports and ToTK the switch would have 20 10+ million sellers. Would that be a record?
We will never get official confirmation but I think Minecraft is definitely also over 10M and Among Us very likely too. Monster Hunter Rise might get there if it isn't already, but we'll never know for sure.

Last edited:
For a Nintendo system? Yes. Altogether? I don't know but I doubt it. CoD entries routinely sell more than 15 million copies and they launch almost yearly on the PS-ecosystems. On top of that, FIFA and NBA 2K yearly iterations also reach stupendous numbers. And finally, you have Sony's first party titles which have also reached the bar quite frequently.
Yeah but cod and FIFA split those sales across Xbox and PC as well ( and even switch for FIFA) so without official breakdowns it's hard to know if the reach 10 million on PS alone.

You can forget about NBA 2K contributing here given its relative strength in the US (Xbox's most favorable country) and the part where it doesn't even break 10m by that much.

Yeah but cod and FIFA split those sales across Xbox and PC as well ( and even switch for FIFA) so without official breakdowns it's hard to know if the reach 10 million on PS alone.
I don’t think it is hard to know for FIFA
Rabbids is a player number, not units

Last edited by a moderator:
On this point, I feel unconfortable to put DQ XI as a confirmed million seller. Of course, we know it is the case, but the only proof we have is that the game sold in retail in Japan between 800k (Famitsu) and 930k (Media Create). The eshop ranking you pointed at (thanks by the way, that is some valuable stuff) does not allow me to conclude anything, as I was not able to get the sales of a games under DQ XI in the rankings, so no lower bound on the sales (maybe I miss something). Where does your estimates 120k-130k for annual eshop sales come from?
This is the reason why I put the label "almost sure", looking forward to get a definitive proof. I hope you understand.

Another question to the community : would you consider Famitsu or Media-create as the most reliable source and why? I would say that it is just different poll techniques or samples but do we have tracks of the relevance of each estimation?

Thank you for you message. I am not familiar with the ranking cup. Can we conclude something? Is it exclusive to the definitive edition? Different account of a console are counting separately?
Apologies for the delay on this - it's quite a fiddly one that I've been updating across different forums over the years.

- 2019 eShop annual sales (finished 17th) - at least 120k (can't find the 2019 eShop estimates link I originally sourced, sadly - maybe it was over at GAF, and it's not as easy to navigate as ERA and IB, but there's this ERA thread where it's around 100k estimated)
- 2020 eShop sales - ~110-120k
- Full year 2021 eShop sales - ~130k
- 2022 eShop sales - it missed the H1 2022 list, and didn't make the final rank, either, but has popped up on the weekly charts from time to time, so let's say a conservative 30k, just for argument's sake.

- CY 2020 sales total 053./013. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2019.09.27} (¥7.980) - 101,292 / 561,500
- 28./00. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition [New Price Edition] <RPG> (Square Enix) {2020.12.04} (¥4.980) - 10,700 / 376,385 as of January's Media Create update from Nintendo Dream.

That's even excluding anything it gained off-chart, which could easily be around 700-1000 per week, given what we've seen from other similar titles bubbling under.

So if we go off all of the above's lower bounds, that would be: 100,000 + 110,000 + 130,000 + 30,000 + 561,500 + 376,385 = 1,307,885.

That's being very conservative with estimates, as well, so I'm sure you can see it's without any doubt over a million in Japan alone on Switch.

Edit: @ChartsJapan fyi :)

Last edited:
Hello, it's time to do some update here.
  • Update of the list of confirmed million sellers of the OP after the Nintendo Financial Results and publication of CESA 2023 (thanks to @CeroG1 )
  • Addition of Bayonetta 1 in the Nintendo published list: 1.24M (CESA 23)
  • Addition of Dark Souls Remastered in the non-Nintendo published list: 1.15M (CESA 23)
  • Addition of Suika Game (Watermelon game) in the non-Nintendo published list: 1M (Famitsu). EDIT : it is already at 1.42M (JCC TV), thanks @BTB123
More updates to come soon with Mario Wonder (hopefully a PR next week) and Nintendo IR on Nov 7th. I will also try to have a look at the new hypothetical million sellers. If you notice something, do not hesitate!

Last edited:
Thx for the updates and your work @ChartsJapan

It´s just crazy....409,26 million......409,26 million software sold...those are the first 19 places of software (1rst party wise). Now Super Mario Bros Wonder is coming through.
19 places are above 10 million sold. Switch Sports at 9.6 million just shy of that (but will cross it in the end).
13 places are above 15 million sold. Pokemon Legends Arceus with 14,83 million just shy of it (but will cross it in the end).
7 places are above 20 million sold. Tears of the Kingdom will cross it definitely...and Super Mario Bros Wonder has a good shot at it. So mybe 9 games which sold more than 20 million in the end of Switch.

And of course, let´s not talk about bonkers numbers of MK8D, BOTW, SSBU and ACNH.

And at the end just one more fact, which puts those numbers just on another level. The games are still full price!! (Yes, there are special offers on the eshop for games, or special times where they reduce the price of one of those games), but normally they are all full price - still.
If you compare that to big numbers on other platforms, you may have also the one or the other 1rst party game with big numbers, but all of them got a price cut not late since after their releases. (not talking all of them, but the majority).
Just absolutely bonkers. Hard to think, that that will happen again with Switch 2. Sooo crazy.

Hello, it's time to do some update here.
  • Update of the list of confirmed million sellers of the OP after the Nintendo Financial Results and publication of CESA 2023 (thanks to @CeroG1 )
  • Addition of Bayonetta 1 in the Nintendo published list: 1.24M (CESA 23)
  • Addition of Dark Souls Remastered in the non-Nintendo published list: 1.15M (CESA 23)
  • Addition of Suika Game (Watermelon game) in the non-Nintendo published list: 1M (Famitsu)
More updates to come soon with Mario Wonder (hopefully a PR next week) and Nintendo IR on Nov 7th. I will also try to have a look at the new hypothetical million sellers. If you notice something, do not hesitate!
Suika Game's newest number was 1.42M announced on TV in Japan.

Some updates :
  • Update of the Nintendo games from Nintendo IR to the Nintendo published list: Top 10 + Pikmin 4 (2.61M)
  • Addition of Super Mario Bros. Wonder the Nintendo published list: 4.3M (Nintendo IR) (even if it is Sell Through)
  • Update of Suika Game (Watermelon game) in the non-Nintendo published list: 3.66M (Famitsu)
I also have to go through the hypothetical figures to add the last updates and probably some new ones.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, some updates of the OP, as there were lots of new announcements these past weeks
  • Addition of Momotaro Dentetsu World in the non-Nintendo published list: 1M (Twitter PR)
  • Addition of Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince in the non-Nintendo published list: 1M (Square-Enix Report)
  • Addition of Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope in the non-Nintendo published list: 2.9M (VGC ). I put arbitrary at 2.9M, as source says "nearly 3 million sales"
  • Update of Suika Game in the non-Nintendo published list: 5M (aladdinx)
  • Update of RE: Revelations Collection in the non-Nintendo published list: 1.4M (Capcom IR , thanks @Maluigi )
Concerning the hypothetical figures, EA sport FC 14 and Hogwarts Legacy are probably the next 'almost sure' candidates.

Hey everyone, some updates of the OP, as there were lots of new announcements these past weeks
  • Addition of Momotaro Dentetsu World in the non-Nintendo published list: 1M (Twitter PR)
  • Addition of Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince in the non-Nintendo published list: 1M (Square-Enix Report)
  • Addition of Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope in the non-Nintendo published list: 2.9M (VGC ). I put arbitrary at 2.9M, as source says "nearly 3 million sales"
  • Update of Suika Game in the non-Nintendo published list: 5M (aladdinx)
  • Update of RE: Revelations Collection in the non-Nintendo published list: 1.4M (Capcom IR , thanks @Maluigi )
Concerning the hypothetical figures, EA sport FC 14 and Hogwarts Legacy are probably the next 'almost sure' candidates.
Thanks. Still not fully convinced about adding DQXIS yet, though?

Back
Top Bottom