• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Switch 2/Pro/Deluxe reveal-to-release speculation.

What scenario do you think they’ll do?

• Total voters
I think it is debatable whether they even tried. They launched Mario Kart Tour without multiplayer for a LONG time. I struggle to believe that they just couldn't get multiplayer to work for a year.
Do you know how many mobile games Nintendo released last years and failed to find success or not, after some point you move resources elsewhere you don't try for eternity.

Being incompetent or incapable is not the same as lying.

I used to speak a lot one to one with Atul Goyal and he was adamant that the board was deliberately putting a cap on mobile and Furukawa either couldn't (due to board pressure) or didn't want to win at it. That's where I fall on it. Mobile was a half-assed effort to appease shareholders bc it wasn't the gold standard of selling a packaged game. IMO launching MKTour with multiplayer would have made this a completely different business for them but they lost the window.

I would agree their effort was low for mobile but I'm not sure why it matters to begin with. The point of mobile was never to make money, it was always to attract people to their platform. That's the point of all of these ventures they do, including the movies and the theme park. Nintendo will always prioritize the console and software sales first and foremost.

Not only does Nintendo prioritize their own console, they're also the only major games publisher still prioritizing full game sales first. This is apparent not just in their mobile, entertainment and licensing initiatives but also on their console with MTX, pricepoint and service strategies. All other major publishers, even within the console sphere (Sony, Microsoft, EA, T2, ABK, Ubisoft, Epic, etc) are or already have pivoted to Live Services/MTX.

Not only does Nintendo prioritize their own console, they're also the only major games publisher still prioritizing full game sales first. This is apparent not just in their mobile, entertainment and licensing initiatives but also on their console with MTX, pricepoint and service strategies. All other major publishers, even within the console sphere (Sony, Microsoft, EA, T2, ABK, Ubisoft, Epic, etc) are or already have pivoted to Live Services/MTX.
I am very curious to see how Nintendo markets their subscription service on their next console. Thus far NSO+EP has felt kinda experimental as it seems like Nintendo is still trying to figure out what they do or don't want to give away for "free" in a subscription service.

I am very curious to see how Nintendo markets their subscription service on their next console. Thus far NSO+EP has felt kinda experimental as it seems like Nintendo is still trying to figure out what they do or don't want to give away for "free" in a subscription service.
I think major multiplayer games' expansions will be a part of NSO+ as well as GCN and Wii games.

I also think there's a benefit of exclusive games and sales that they could take advantage of more

I would agree their effort was low for mobile but I'm not sure why it matters to begin with. The point of mobile was never to make money, it was always to attract people to their platform. That's the point of all of these ventures they do, including the movies and the theme park. Nintendo will always prioritize the console and software sales first and foremost.

The point of this was to show that Furukawa says one thing and does another with regards to statements about hardware... or practically anything. That is all. We have run in circles on this with some believing Nintendo failed and scrapped mobile ambitions and others believing Nintendo was deliberate in their efforts to "fail at mobile" and it is a dead horse at this point.

"From what I can see, smartphone games are the ones I want to expand the most," said Shuntaro Furukawa, who will take the helm in June.

Last edited:
The point of this was to show that Furukawa says one thing and does another with regards to statements about hardware... or practically anything. That is all. We have run in circles on this with some believing Nintendo failed and scrapped mobile ambitions and others believing Nintendo was deliberate in their efforts to "fail at mobile" and it is a dead horse at this point.

"From what I can see, smartphone games are the ones I want to expand the most," said Shuntaro Furukawa, who will take the helm in June.

He wants to do it the most, it doesn't mean they want to do it in the way Cygames or Intelligent Systems or TPC does it.

When a non-gacha approach failed, Nintendo decided then to not sacrifice the reputation they built for a somewhat controversial business model. They dipped their toes in gacha but is always afraid of the reputational damage, which is why they held Dragalia Lost back. Half hearted monetization attempts on the mobile world do not work, which leads to what it is now. It's also business decision to defend what is in hand (trusted family friendly image) instead of trying to gamble away what is in hand for the unknown.

Not to mention Mario characters simply do not have the type of draw that makes people roll gacha/lootbox. To understand this, look at what Genshin/Fate characters look like, then look at Mario characters again.

As for Atul, years ago when he is bullish on Nintendo on mobile, people of salesGAF and salesERA told him that Nintendo rep and conservative mgmt style isn't condusive with how mobile works. They will be cautious and will try to go easily on the monetization to defend their rep, and they will not sacrifice their main business for the new venture.

Atul chose to be optimistic and ignored what he was told. Now he is a Sony cheerleader while being bitter at Nintendo, after realising what people told him years ago is right.

Last edited:
He wants to do it the most, it doesn't mean they want to do it in the way Cygames or Intelligent Systems or TPC does it.

When a non-gacha approach failed, Nintendo decided then to not sacrifice the reputation they built for a somewhat controversial business model. They dipped their toes in gacha but is always afraid of the reputational damage, which is why they held Dragalia Lost back. Half hearted monetization attempts on the mobile world do not work, which leads to what it is now. It's also business decision to defend what is in hand (trusted family friendly image) instead of trying to gamble away what is in hand for the unknown.

Not to mention Mario characters simply do not have the type of draw that makes people roll gacha/lootbox. To understand this, look at what Genshin/Fate characters look like, then look at Mario characters again.

As for Atul, years ago when he is bullish on Nintendo on mobile, people of salesGAF and salesERA told him that Nintendo rep and conservative mgmt style isn't condusive with how mobile works. They will be cautious and will try to go easily on the monetization to defend their rep, and they will not sacrifice their main business for the new venture.

Atul chose to be optimistic and ignored what he was told. Now he is a Sony cheerleader while being bitter at Nintendo, after realising what people told him years ago is right.

That's because Nintendo has been to afraid to release thong Wario. They know such power would bring in trillions of dollars but would forever change their business model.

/s

I am surprised that Nintendo hasn't tried to do more "oh that's not us" mobile games. Something like Dragalia Lost that leans hard into what makes money on the mobile market but Nintendo is 5 steps removed from it's development and marketing outside of pumping money in and reaping the profits afterwards.

Since the Switch righted the ship, the need for high profit mobile games disappeared. In a world where the Switch underperformed, Nintendo probably would have made more partnerships for mobile. Now, Nintendo probably wants mobile games to spread the reach of their IP so, the degree of separation doesn't really work.

I think major multiplayer games' expansions will be a part of NSO+ as well as GCN and Wii games.

I also think there's a benefit of exclusive games and sales that they could take advantage of more
I can see this and also DS and possibly more Sega platforms (Saturn, Dreamcast). Even though Mariko could probably run most of that anyway.

I still see current NSO/EP getting GB, GBA and PCE (Konami) yet too. Maybe SMS/GG (Sega) but those platforms never did well on VC so maybe not. I also wonder if deals might be reached with Hamster and SNK for selections of their arcade, NeoGeo and NGPC retro libraries or if Nintendo prefers keeping premium downloads entirely separate from the sub service?

Any thoughts on this nonsense?

"We expect Nintendo to be able to continue to generate steady cash flow in FY2023 onward," and the upcoming Super Mario Bros. animated film and a possible new game in the series may amount to short-term catalysts, analyst Haruka Mori said.

But those could provide just a temporary stock price rebound, and "until management announces next-generation hardware (which we do not expect until 2025 at the earliest), which we think is needed for valuations to rise, we expect the stock to be range-bound."

2025 is lunacy in my opinion but Nintendo could push it that far as long as software and services remains strong.

2025 is lunacy in my opinion but Nintendo could push it that far as long as software and services remains strong.
I think that's pure speculation from people with a very superfluous knowledge of how this industry works. Waiting for 2025 would kill all the momentum the Switch brand has, and give Sony the time they need to reclaim and secure the big 3rd party Japanese market.
2023 is going to be the last transitional year between last gen and current gen, not releasing the Switch 2 this year would be a fatal error in my opinion, though Nintendo is obviously capable of anything.

Only time will tell, but for now, 2025 seems just an uneducated guess to me.

The problem is that hardware is planned years in advanced and can't be affected by recent financial data. Otherwise they'd gave a 10s of millions of dollars sized hole that they can't explain for years

If Switch 2 launches in 2025, then any comeback of Sony's in Japan and loss of 3rd-party support for Nintendo-platforms would be Nintendo's own fault.

Nintendo could have cemented its worldwide success with a Switch 2-launch in 2022. They could still do a lot good with a 2023-launch. A 2024-launch is already awfully late. But 2025? That's beginng the competition to regain full strength. Evidently, Switch hw-numbers are on a downwards trajectory, PS5 is going up. Eventually, sw-numbers will start to look better, too. Letting this happen is so unnecessary and I'd question Nintendo's leadership. Then again, it'd be the typical Nintendo-thing to do. They had surfire hits in the past and fumbled it up hard.

The wildest thing is that they say 2025 at the earliest. So for them it also could be 2026, lol.

I think 2023 would've been the perfect time for a successor. 2022 was too early in my opinion. 2024 will be okay, but a tad late I think. Anything beyond that isn't even worth to entertain.

"Late" is a matter of definition, of course, but I truly have to wonder: What kind of chipset/hardware did Nintendo arrive at with NVidia 2-3 years ago when leaks told us about them, that will still be a strong, viable option in 2024 or later? Computer-hardware doesn't usually have this long of an upramp, PC gpu-generations release on a yearly basis. I'd really like to know how much this "late" launch was planned from the beginning and how much of it is the consequence of the circumstances.

I would definitely take that analyst claim as mere guess / speculation rather than "informed" speculation, if that makes sense.

That estimated release date for a new Switch is indeed strange. I still think that March 2024 is the best bet at the moment.

Another point i i'd like to add is that Nintendo stock price / growth potential main limitation is the lack of diversification in their business. Switch and related services / games are what, 95 - 97% of the entire Nintendo revenue?

I believe "Switch 2" will be announced in August~October of this year and will be released in February~March 2024. I also hope that all Switch models will receive price cuts in the next fiscal year(2023~2024) and that this year already arrive the games of the Nintendo Selects line.

That estimate release date for a new Switch is indeed strange. I still think that March 2024 is the best bet at the moment.

Another point i i'd like to add is that Nintendo stock price / growth potential main limitation is the lack of diversification in their business. Switch and related services / games are what, 95 - 97% of the entire Nintendo revenue?
Why is it strange? Just because the internet has been saying 2023 for two years now? That is same internet that predicted that the Switch would fail, there would be a Switch Pro in 2019, a Switch Pro in 2021, and a Switch 2 in 2022.

For what it’s worth, I think the answer is spring 2025 too. I don’t think that leaks about hardware are the smoking guns that many in this thread think. I think the picture is too incomplete for us to know yet. Did anyone predict a Spring 2017 launch back in spring 2016 based off rumors and leaks?

I’m just skeptical of anything that the internet comes to a consensus on when it comes to the video games business. I don’t see why the author’s speculation is any better or worse than other speculation. We have an incomplete picture and lack any context for those leaks. We know that Nintendo is working with certain chips in certain ways but we don’t know how far along they are with any of the planning or logistics.

That estimated release date for a new Switch is indeed strange. I still think that March 2024 is the best bet at the moment.

94.5% Switch
3.1% Smart Devices, IP licensing
2.2% Other consoles (3DS, etc)
0.2% Other

94.5% Switch
3.1% Smart Devices, IP licensing
2.2% Other consoles (3DS, etc)
0.2% Other
Yeah, i was quite close.

Clearly the market is accounting for the implied risk of having over 90% of total revenue from the Switch product family and related services/games.

We have an incomplete picture and lack any context for those leaks. We know that Nintendo is working with certain chips in certain ways but we don’t know how far along they are with any of the planning or logistics.
One chip, and it's more than the Nvidia leak. The chip has been worked on for a long time now and there's nothing indicating that it's been shelved, as indicated by info suggesting that engineering samples may be available and Nvidia is running tests. It's only a matter of time now.

So I've been skeptical of past "using a Switch for VR" musings, in context of LABO especially, because I had always thought it'd be way too heavy. Well, now VR-manufacturer Pimax sells this:

It's basically a Switch that you put in a VR-casing and then you're ready to go. Since I often see people expect Nintendo to make more than "only" a Switch 2, maybe a more serious VR-effort would actually be in the cards? If DLSS is on board, the Switch 2's display might even be 4k, it wouldn't make much difference battery-wise thanks to DLSS-scaling. For Nintendo, it'd be an easy and smart way to go big into VR without betting everything on it.

Software-wise, they could work on some VR-exclusive titles, but also VR-i-fy older titles. Imagine if Metroid Prime 1-remake actually was a VR-remake ;D

Just a random thought that occurred to me while I was reading up about the newly announced VR-headsets.

So I've been skeptical of past "using a Switch for VR" musings, in context of LABO especially, because I had always thought it'd be way too heavy. Well, now VR-manufacturer Pimax sells this:

It's basically a Switch that you put in a VR-casing and then you're ready to go. Since I often see people expect Nintendo to make more than "only" a Switch 2, maybe a more serious VR-effort would actually be in the cards? If DLSS is on board, the Switch 2's display might even be 4k, it wouldn't make much difference battery-wise thanks to DLSS-scaling. For Nintendo, it'd be an easy and smart way to go big into VR without betting everything on it.

Software-wise, they could work on some VR-exclusive titles, but also VR-i-fy older titles. Imagine if Metroid Prime 1-remake actually was a VR-remake ;D

Just a random thought that occurred to me while I was reading up about the newly announced VR-headsets.
a 4K panel would be such overkill. not to mention the insane blurriness from stretching handheld spec games to 4K. dlss is good but it ain't magic at low power

a 4K panel would be such overkill. not to mention the insane blurriness from stretching handheld spec games to 4K. dlss is good but it ain't magic at low power
Why do people keep saying that? We have enough videos that show that DLSS IS "magic". Do i need to post the video where Death Stranding runs at 360p and is DLSS-ed to 4k and looks great?

Just to be clear. IF Nintendo tried to do VR, I'd kinda expect a 1080p-display rather than 4k. But it wouldn't be impossible tech-wise.

Edit:

Here the video is, just in case. And mea culpa, it wasn't 360p to 4k, but still 360p to 1080p, as well as 720p to 4k, which should still do wonders for VR.

Last edited:
Why do people keep saying that? We have enough videos that show that DLSS IS "magic". Do i need to post the video where Death Stranding runs at 360p and is DLSS-ed to 4k and looks great?

Just to be clear. IF Nintendo tried to do VR, I'd kinda expect a 1080p-display rather than 4k. But it wouldn't be impossible tech-wise.

Edit:

Here the video is, just in case. And mea culpa, it wasn't 360p to 4k, but still 360p to 1080p, as well as 720p to 4k, which should still do wonders for VR.

Next switch would not have a 3090 level of power. DLSS does wonders, but if you only needed dlss, people would just buy a 3050.
A 4K handheld display would murder the the battery life of any small portable device. Its not happening.
This also.

The real bottleneck for a Switch 2 (assuming that is what Nintendo is thinking) is if Nintendo finally makes the leap to faster storage or likely decides that the cost/heat/overhead is too high and goes with SD cards again.

The real bottleneck for a Switch 2 (assuming that is what Nintendo is thinking) is if Nintendo finally makes the leap to faster storage or likely decides that the cost/heat/overhead is too high and goes with SD cards again.
My thinking there is that if they consider it important to increase read speed on internal storage (and likely the Game Card, as read speeds there are a definitely solvable problem), if they end up going with SD cards again, they would simply remove the ability to read games directly off the SD card.

Edit:

I'm like the last person who needs DLSS explained too. I can read the documentation for myself.

4K panels seriously hit diminishing returns on smaller screens. they consume more power, and DLSS at higher output resolutions cost more than scaling from lower resolutions. first things first, you have to assure you can hit that 720p minimum for ultra performance mode. newer games might not be so inclined to do so while retaining fidelity. and then there's the ask of the tensor cores operating fast enough at low clock speeds on top of rendering two separate frames at a high frame rate.

there's a reason a that phone VR hasn't really taken off and hardware developers simply moved onto dedicated units. there are just a lot of limitations when you have a removable device rather than an all-in-one unit

I could see Nintendo doing some stuff with AR since all you need is a camera for that. VR sounds to prohibitive for that to be a core selling point of the next Switch.

Last edited:
I could see Nintendo doing some stuff with AR since all you need is a camera for that. VR sounds to prohibitive for that to Bea core selling point of the next Switch.
The demand for VR and AR is so small I doubt it is on Nintendo's radar at all. VR now is like motion controls in 2012. It is done..

I'm like the last person who needs DLSS explained too. I can read the documentation for myself.

4K panels seriously hit diminishing returns on smaller screens. they consume more power, and DLSS at higher output resolutions cost more than scaling from lower resolutions. first things first, you have to assure you can hit that 720p minimum for ultra performance mode. newer games might not be so inclined to do so while retaining fidelity. and then there's the ask of the tensor cores operating fast enough at low clock speeds on top of rendering two separate frames at a high frame rate.

there's a reason a that phone VR hasn't really taken off and hardware developers simply moved onto dedicated units. there are just a lot of limitations when you have a removable device rather than an all-in-one unit
Yeah 720 or 800p panel would be good for a handheld
I mean you can DLSS games from 480p to 800p right,
and that should help with battery life I think

The demand for VR and AR is so small I doubt it is on Nintendo's radar at all. VR now is like motion controls in 2012. It is done..

Yep. AR is confined to cards on a discontinued platform and their VR solution is made of cardboard.

Nintendo management gave Miyamoto the go ahead for the Mario movie to distract him long enough so he doesn't reach for the steering wheel and steer the company into oblivion.

It could have been cool though. Give Pokemon cards a link to the game with AR or relaunch F Zero as a VR racer.

I believe "Switch 2" will be announced in August~October of this year and will be released in February~March 2024. I also hope that all Switch models will receive price cuts in the next fiscal year(2023~2024) and that this year already arrive the games of the Nintendo Selects line.
That would be murdering a vacation, no company in its right mind would do something like that, the Wii U case is because it was more dead than virtual boy

Yep. AR is confined to cards on a discontinued platform and their VR solution is made of cardboard.

Nintendo management gave Miyamoto the go ahead for the Mario movie to distract him long enough so he doesn't reach for the steering wheel and steer the company into oblivion.

It could have been cool though. Give Pokemon cards a link to the game with AR or relaunch F Zero as a VR racer.
Nintendo without Miyamoto wouldn't even exist, now it's just going to leave Nintendo possibly with a film branch and generating millions when he retires, Nintendo's management only has respect for its greatest creator

I mean, the PSVR1 uses a 1080p display and I didn't hear anyone complaining about it. If anything the refresh rate is what's going to make VR difficult, because a higher refresh rate is preferred (90Hz or 120 Hz)

The DS still sold well in Holiday 2010 and the 3DS launched in Q4 2010. The same goes for the transition from 3DS to Switch.
the transition from DS to 3DS was very bad, they killed DS and released a platform without games, the transition from 3DS to Switch doesn't exist since WiiU and 3DS were dead, the Switch is a special case that Nintendo has to take advantage of

Back
Top Bottom