• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Steam Deck now available in Asia; available without reservation.

IMO done on purpose.

EDIT: changed 'obviously' with 'IMO'.

Last edited:
to buy a steam deck with a dock in Japan is around 70,000 yen.. That seems a lot...

It is. Even before you include a controller to use that setup. The base Deck is priced to compete with the most expensive PS5. It's twice the price of the base Switch. It's obvious what demographic the device is targeting.

The fact that people conspire Valve to have some deep marketing scheme over a legitimate mistake even in this forum is just sad to me.
Shows how many people here know Valve really... lol
Now if Valve had a habit of doing stuff like this, this would've made more sense.
But then again you're talking about people who don't care about Valve or Steam so they're being ignorant either way.

The fact that people conspire Valve to have some deep marketing scheme over a legitimate mistake even in this forum is just sad to me.

Now if Valve had a habit of doing stuff like this, this would've made more sense.

In general I lean towards "anti-conspiracy" takes (or whatever you want to call it).

But in this case I can't help but muse that:

a) Valve is a little cheeky and aware of how they position their enthusiast portable vs the mainstream "people's champion"

b) Last year in July the Deck announcement timing was absolutely precious coming on the heels of an (IMO) somewhat deflating Switch oled announcement

Tbh, I think it's smart and logical of them to rib and contrast against the switch a tad here and there as part of the Deck marketing playbook.

Big corps like Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo and Valve don't promote emulation (unless it is strictly regulated by them) because it's not conducive to their business.
However for the admitted purposes for Steam Deck existence that is, among others, to improve Steam utilization and grabbing new users from the asian region, using a 'bait and switch' to make the 'talk' that 'psst you can play Nintendo current games on Steam Deck' is conducive to Steam Deck business for its initial push phase because it associates, though not openly, SD to the biggest hits in the region not available on Steam.
Currently SD is a dwarf that can jump on the shoulder of a giant named Steam but is still a dwarf in itself and needs to grow.

In general I lean towards "anti-conspiracy" takes (or whatever you want to call it).

But in this case I can't help but muse that:

a) Valve is a little cheeky and aware of how they position their enthusiast portable vs the mainstream "people's champion"

b) Last year in July the Deck announcement timing was absolutely precious coming on the heels of an (IMO) somewhat deflating Switch oled announcement

Tbh, I think it's smart and logical of them to rib and contrast against the switch a tad here and there as part of the Deck marketing playbook.
Being cheeky and strategizing their announcement doesn't mean or equivalate to valve going to the distance to put Yuzu a switch emulator in a Promo video that is posted on twitter and give themselves the headache of possibly Nintendo getting pissed off at them, especially when nintendo could be or are already a business partner with them.

For official material thats just for promo material, you would business wise at least have the courtesy to not put something that would deliberately make a business partner unhappy for little gain, especially when that clip was only visible for a sec or something. To me this is blatant Valve not caring to check it properly before posting it. They're not exactly good with 'marketing' stuff traditionally.

Back
Top Bottom