• [UPDATE 02/02] Big announcements and financial update on Install Base!

Please check out the new announcements (new Mod team, poll results, badges and more!) available here

Starfield Now at 13 Million Players as of December 20, 2023 (Was 6M at launch)

Growth of a million in only ~15ish days, consequence of all of those new XBox deals.

Yeah, I've got to say I was not expecting another milestone to happen so fast, but Starfield is probably THE game to play on Gamepass for most people buying the machine.

AKQA_ION_EOY_infographic_9x16.png

1,631,993 Starborn players = how many people beat the main quest. 12.55% completion rate

Wait can we get the Steam/Xbox(+Windows) ratio from that?
Steam achievement completion is 17.7%
Xbox achievement completion is 9.65%

The first numbers I tried were 5M Steam and 8M Xbox

Steam5,000,0000.177885,000
Xbox8,000,0000.0965772,000
Total13,000,0001,657,000

Which is just slightly more than the 1,631,993 actual

Steam4,700,0000.177831,900
Xbox8,300,0000.0965800,950
Total13,000,0001,633,000

That could be the player split?

40 hours average is insanely good. I wonder what the median is. MS should definitely be happy with those numbers though.

Steam achievement completion is 17.7%
Xbox achievement completion is 9.65%

The first numbers I tried were 5M Steam and 8M Xbox

Steam5,000,0000.177885,000
Xbox8,000,0000.0965772,000
Total13,000,0001,657,000

Which is just slightly more than the 1,631,993 actual

Steam4,700,0000.177831,900
Xbox8,300,0000.0965800,950
Total13,000,0001,633,000

That could be the player split?
It's an easy equation:

X -> Xbox and MS Store PC players
Y -> Steam players

(1) X + Y = 13M
(2) 9,65X + 17,7Y = 12,55(X+Y) = 12,55X + 12,55Y

Agrouping in (2) we obtain 2,9X = 5,15Y -> X = 5,15Y/2,9

Substituting X in (1) and simplifying we obtain:

Y = 13M x 2,9/(5,15+2,9) = 4,68M
X = 13M x 5,15/(5,15+2,9) = 8,32M

Which is basically what you found 😁

Impressive numbers on Steam, console and Gamepass lower than expected for me

It's a BGS game afterall, and I bet folks who bought the game during the launch period wanted to make sure they got the game version that was the most mod friendly/future proof.
Gamepass and Windows Store versions of games are known to sometimes be finicky with that.

Not surprised by this quickly ~1 million growth because it's the end of year with more consoles and games being bought.

2024 will be the big test for Starfield. Can keeping growing with creation kit and expansions, or will start to die?
Post automatically merged:

Impressive numbers on Steam, console and Gamepass lower than expected for me
Funny that for me is the contrary, it's kinda low on Steam for being a Bethesda AAA rpg, but I guess the mixed reception hurts.

On Xbox the number look pretty good.

Funny that for me is the contrary, it's kinda low on Steam for being a Bethesda AAA rpg, but I guess the mixed reception hurts.

Yeah, a good amount of Starfield sales on Steam must've have been during the launch period.
It's been out of the Top 100 on the global list for quite some time. Of course, the game charted the Autumn Steam Sales(and another deeper discount sales almost right after). But it's not going to generate much revenue without discounts in the near future.

The complete opposite to Baldur's Gate 3, which is still currently #5 globally and has been not missed a single weekly Top 10 since its release on August 5th.
Although, that might change with this week with the Winter Sales starting tomorrow, time will tell.

1.6 million "Starborn" players is much lower than I would have thought. The main mission is not a particularly long one and unlike Elder Scrolls/Fallout, there is a gameplay incentive of sorts to complete the main questline to reach that Starborn status.

Yeah, a good amount of Starfield sales on Steam must've have been during the launch period.
It's been out of the Top 100 on the global list for quite some time. Of course, the game charted the Autumn Steam Sales(and another deeper discount sales almost right after). But it's not going to generate much revenue without discounts in the near future.

Even during those sales it didn't chart in the top 10 so I don't think it has good word of mouth.

The complete opposite to Baldur's Gate 3, which is still currently #5 globally and has been not missed a single weekly Top 10 since its release on August 5th.
Although, that might change with this week with the Winter Sales starting tomorrow, time will tell.

23 straight weeks in top 10 and counting choo choo.

8m on Xbox? How many series consoles have been sold. Isn’t that close to 1/3rd of the current install base?
Xbox includes Windows Store and Game Pass PC since they share the same Xbox achievements

This was expected. The game was at 43% in the last 30 days pre Steam GotY week.
It just makes sense that the reception would get worse and worse, because there wasn't any big content patches or big performance/bug fix post launch support beside the November 21st patch.

As game launches go, Starfield was not the stellar success that Bethesda and parent company Microsoft probably hoped for. This space-based action RPG may have been Bethesda’s biggest launch but, less than six months later, it’s lost 97% of its Steam player base.

After peaking at 330,273 concurrent Steam players shortly after launch, Starfield is now down to just under 9,000 (via SteamDB). By contrast, over 25,000 Steam players are currently playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

The biggest disaster is being below Fallout 4 imo, but to be fair, the lack of mods is seriously hurting Starfield longetivity.

Fallout 4 got mods like 5 months after release, we are in that point right now with Starfield and we have 0 news about them besides "2024".

Starfield's not a service title, using CCUs this way (and a random pull at that, not even a 24hr peak) paints a pretty bleak picture for most similar titles. And as far as I can tell random CCU comparisons and (improving, though still rough) Steam reviews are the entirety of research done for the article?

Starfield's not a service title, using CCUs this way (and a random pull at that, not even a 24hr peak) paints a pretty bleak picture for most similar titles. And as far as I can tell random CCU comparisons and (improving, though still rough) Steam reviews are the entirety of research done for the article?
We have Bethesda and Microsoft who had said that with Starfield they wanted a game that would last for years, and Bethesda's games on PC have always been played even years after launch.
Starfield is the only one that at the moment has not respected this tradition

The % drops are not the right metric without telling normal people what the avg drop is for these types of games etc.
What's clearer is day peak CCU:
  • BGS - 185K
  • Skyrim - 35K
  • Fallout 4 - 25K
  • Starfield - 12.5K
Alongside the 42% current Steam review ratings, what MSFT and BGS hoped for, a multi-year long running game like Skyrim/Fallout, is quickly disappearing. I wonder how many expansions that have planned and if the reception has changed that outlook: cut the title short like Halo Infinite or port to Playstation/Nintendo.

It's just negative enagagement bait, like most (gaming) journalism nowadays. Fallout 4 had like a 90% drop-off by that metric but I can't remember any articles about that.

The comparison to old games with extremely robust mod support is just the cherry on the cake.

We have Bethesda and Microsoft who had said that with Starfield they wanted a game that would last for years, and Bethesda's games on PC have always been played even years after launch.
Like @Godzilla mentioned, the mod situation is an issue for maintaining the sort of longer term engagement Elder Scrolls or Fallout usually enjoy. And BGS' actual service game (FO76) got off to a rougher start honestly and is still below Starfield's current CCU counts.

Also, like it or not GP is a major differentiator that makes a direct comparison for Steam CCU tougher with Skyrim, FO4, Oblivion, etc.

To add to this, while Starfield isn't a GAAS, it being below Skyrim and FO4 is simply not good. New IP from Beth should absolutely have more players than FO4 which launched nearly a decade ago.

To add to this, while Starfield isn't a GAAS, it being below Skyrim and FO4 is simply not good. New IP from Beth should absolutely have more players than FO4 which launched nearly a decade ago.
The modding scene in Skyrim and Fallout 4 is vibrant. That is going to keep the baseline around 20k. The problem is more that Starfield is that dropped to that level shortly after launch and continued to descend.

A game shouldn't need mod support or be a service title to have any kind of longevity. If enough people would continue to buy it, it would keep a large playerbase just through new players coming in. If the game is great it'll keep players playing it for long periods of time just because of it's quality alone.

A game shouldn't need mod support or be a service title to have any kind of longevity. If enough people would continue to buy it, it would keep a large playerbase just through new players coming in. If the game is great it'll keep players playing it for long periods of time just because of it's quality alone.
Mod support is the only way the Steam version will gain real traction with Gamepass as an option (and also probably the only way to turn that Steam player rating around). It's two clear competitive differences versus other BGS RPGs and giving proper context to that isn't exactly worthless.

Mod support is the only way the Steam version will gain real traction with Gamepass as an option (and also probably the only way to turn that Steam player rating around). It's two clear competitive differences versus other BGS RPGs and giving proper context to that isn't exactly worthless.

Okay, but this is just pointing that Game Pass is a pretty terrible idea for AAA games.

13 Million players is quite significant, no other way to call the data.
The question is will it have any impact in the next year with new patches, mods and dlc?...And the possible PS version...

New IP from Beth

I see this mentioned a lot about how it should be a strength of the game in terms of its popularity, but I've always thought it's probably the opposite. That there are way more people who want a new ES or Fallout than a new IP.

13 Million players is quite significant, no other way to call the data.
The question is will it have any impact in the next year with new patches, mods and dlc?...And the possible PS version...
To be fair, the real question is why (and this is assuming 100% of the players did it through gamepass, which is obviously not) a high profile xbox game like Starfield, which is more or less their trojan horse, was only played by 13 millions out of 30m subs.

What happened to the other 20m+ subs, why would they not even be interested in even just trying it (this is not a $70 dollar game, you can try it if you have gamepass... i know i did, for like 30 minutes because my god was it uninteresting)

To be fair, the real question is why (and this is assuming 100% of the players did it through gamepass, which is obviously not) a high profile xbox game like Starfield, which is more or less their trojan horse, was only played by 13 millions out of 30m subs.

What happened to the other 20m+ subs, why would they not even be interested in even just trying it (this is not a $70 dollar game, you can try it if you have gamepass)
Well you have people in Xbox One, people in PCs that can't run the game and more importantly, people who just don't care about it. Just because a game is free to download doesn't mean you will.

Well you have people in Xbox One, people in PCs that can't run the game and more importantly, people who just don't care about it. Just because a game is free to download doesn't mean you will.
That's my main point i guess, the lack of players on a sub system for such an important game/milestone is more about the lack of actual proper marketing than the game itself. I don't know, i remember more about TES5 and FO4 marketing than whatever Starfield did.

There's a situation that Microsoft can't get right imo, and it's marketing that its actually effective. What can they do? i don't know, honestly i don't wanna be in the shoes that has to fix that.

That's my main point i guess, the lack of players on a sub system for such an important game/milestone is more about the lack of actual proper marketing than the game itself. I don't know, i remember more about TES5 and FO4 marketing than whatever Starfield did.

There's a situation that Microsoft can't get right imo, and it's marketing that its actually effective. What can they do? i don't know, honestly i don't wanna be in the shoes that has to fix that.
Even if they marketed it to the moon & back w/effective marketing you’ll have those people who won’t care.

The modding scene in Skyrim and Fallout 4 is vibrant. That is going to keep the baseline around 20k. The problem is more that Starfield is that dropped to that level shortly after launch and continued to descend.

From my understanding from the Starfield Reddit, the lack of mobs is on Beth along with a lot of modders not liking Starfield, and mods having issues fixing Starfield.

Back
Top Bottom