• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Square Enix will "aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs"

Much prefer their output back then, even with all their blunders. Stuff like The Nameless Game series would never even be considered under current Square management. Also, the DQ series was in a good place with DQ9, Rocket Slime, DQ Monsters and all the remakes. Now, the DQ series is a mess of bad management thanks to higher-ups that misread the market and prioritized a flaccid PS ecosystem as the development target for DQ11. The pipeline was thrown in disarray and they've now gone the whole Switch generation (now the highest selling console in JP history) without a mainline DQ release. SE used to be kingmakers. Now they're also-rans who's crown jewel IP sells worse than the average Persona.

I feel on DS they really pushed on creativity. We got plenty of new IPs with high potential; unfortunately some of them weren't even localized.

The World Ends With You is a notable example and got a cult following over the years (eventually dissipated because of the usual franchise mismanagement), but we also got Blood of Bahamut and Sigma Harmonics.

Plus new genres/gameplay for known franchises such as Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, Heroes of Mana.

Far be it from me to defend SQEX, but they did release Paranormasight fairly recently, last year I think? It's quite good!
I loved Paranormasight, my favorite SE release last year. The interesting thing is that its the game that receives the most post on their twitter page. This year alone I've seen more tweets about the game being on sale, some behind the scenes interviews etc than any other non-Rebirth game, and this game came out over a year ago.

I honestly feel Square Enix was absolutely amazing in 2022 and 2023 and 2024. I know some people don’t like AA games or 7/10 games but to me they’re the best because they sit between experimentation of the indie scene and the production values of AAA. In that sense, there’s really nothing like them.

In this regard, Square Enix really knocked it out of the park for me in 2022, 2023, and 2024.
  • Live a live (I never imagined this would be a thing)
  • Triangle strategy
  • Tactics ogre remaster
  • Star ocean 6 with Tri-ace coming back after 7 years
  • Octopath traveler 2
  • Valkyrie Elysium (Valkyrie profile inspired but not that good)
  • Diofield was interesting
  • Harvestella I haven’t played yet but I appreciated the creativity
  • Crisis core remake
  • And then huge projects like FF16 and Rebirth within one year.
  • Paranormasight and other smaller productions like that Centennial case games.
  • Star ocean second story R
To me, the last couple of years were some of square enix’ strongest modern output with firing on all cylinders in terms of variety and spread. Mind you most were not instant classics but that’s okay for me as long as they do something interesting. Unfortunately the return of investment were not good and so now we are in consolidation mode and lose out on all those smaller projects that made me appreciate Square Enix so much the last few years.

I honestly feel Square Enix was absolutely amazing in 2022 and 2023 and 2024. I know some people don’t like AA games or 7/10 games but to me they’re the best because they sit between experimentation of the indie scene and the production values of AAA. In that sense, there’s really nothing like them.

In this regard, Square Enix really knocked it out of the park for me in 2022, 2023, and 2024.
  • Triangle strategy
  • Tactics ogre remaster
  • Octopath traveler 2
  • Crisis core remake
To me, the last couple of years were some of square enix’ strongest modern output with firing on all cylinders in terms of variety and spread. Mind you most were not instant classics but that’s okay for me as long as they do something interesting. Unfortunately the return of investment were not good and so now we are in consolidation mode and lose out on all those smaller projects that made me appreciate Square Enix so much the last few years.
It really doesn't sit right with me to equate AA-games with "7/10-games". Budget has no impact on quality, a good game is a good game, and any outlet docking a severe amount of points for a lack of AAA-graphics should be ostracized.

As for your point: I think most people here would agree that SE made good games (I'd personally disagree, but that's my issue). What people criticize SE for is management/handling of its releases. FF16 and FF7R2 being the 'culmination' of that.

I think you're misunderstanding what I meant, Tokuiten. I wasn't trying to argue that the games are good against anyone saying they weren't, but I was instead saying - to me - that it's disappointing that their AA strategy and variety is now abandoned in favor of consolidation of fewer titles. Square Enix stood out with its portfolio offerings in contrast to other major pubs like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, even Capcom, by not just only focusing on the major blockbuster titles, but spreading their investments and resources around both internally and externally. So it's sad or disappointing that the economics didn't pan out for that strategy (or if it's just a question of execution and management).

The AA equated with 7/10 point is just how titles with lower production values are usually rated. E.g. their lack of animations in certain dialogue scenes drag the game down in the eyes of critics and audiences, so in that sense they're never going to be 9/10 games. They will always have flaws due to their relatively lower budgets, so in that sense, the score is tied to the reception score. You just can't avoid that, especially with how much internal review processes try to hit those +90 metacritic numbers for their huge risky AAA bets. AA is just never going to reach that due to their constraints, and that's fine. It's just how things have almost always been the last couple of decades.

• Triangle strategy
  • Tactics ogre remaster
  • Octopath traveler 2
  • Crisis core remake
Yes, the return on investment was poor because:

-These games were dumped onto the market at a rate even most dedicated RPG/S-E fans simply couldn't afford to keep up with. Which is concerning because a number of these titles very clearly would have benefitted from more time.
-The genre and aesthetic overlap is just too much, especially when released in such a short span of time
-Availability of these games is completely arbitrary because of their exclusives policy - there is no good reason why you'd e.g. cultivate a fanbase hardcore enough to buy Tactics Ogre/Live-A-Live/Star Ocean remakes on Steam, then decide you don't want their money and leave a 2-game backlog of Final Fantasy titles awaiting release on Steam to this day

Consolidating around their flagship titles is disappointing because it doesn't even address S-E's actual issues, much of which revolve around release strategy, scheduling and marketing. Cancelling Tactics Ogre and putting everyone from that game onto FF16 and 7Rebirth wouldn't have somehow generated extra sales for those games. The potential sales of the FF titles have been capped by the conditions senior leadership have imposed upon them, but of course senior leadership are essentially marking their own homework and will never point to their own failings when major titles underperform.

@KarlRemarx makes a lot of great points, SE did not put these games in a position to succeed, but I do wonder how much of a market there is for 7/10 games, the bar for game quality is so high now and there’s more great games than there is time to play them all.

I say this as someone who platinumed deofield chronicles, I’d like to see them make another and build upon it but not sure how many people there are like me.

@KarlRemarx makes a lot of great points, SE did not put these games in a position to succeed, but I do wonder how much of a market there is for 7/10 games, the bar for game quality is so high now and there’s more great games than there is time to play them all.

I say this as someone who platinumed deofield chronicles, I’d like to see them make another and build upon it but not sure how many people there are like me.
I think it's definitely possible but it requires a Nintendo-like willingness to actually sit on a completed product for up to even 1-2 years so you can schedule it for maximum sales potential. The additional development time would possibly turn some of those 7/10s into 8s too. At the end of the day given S-E's circumstances it's hard to disagree with the decision, however disappointing it is, because the newly promoted leadership will need a fresh start to stabilise the company's output.

depends on the 7/10. some games like Diofield Chronicles have a lot of competition and high expectations. but there are many indie games that fall into the 7/10 range that people just don't seem to care about review scores because they scratch an itch. but these games are also inexpensive to make and tend to not have a return that's worthwhile for a large company

Yeah, I still really disagree with creating a category called '7/10 games'. Diofield wasn't a 7/10 game because of lack of budget. It simply wasn't good enough to get 9/10s. It could have, had it been a better game - with the same graphics.

Can’t say I agree with the term 7/10 game encompassing all mid tier game development projects. I think mid tier games can be 10/10 games but they will need to focus on a certain part of game play and nail that. They also need to do things differently from the competition. If you build an rpg that is exactly like other games and you have a lower budget I can see them falling in the 7/10 category and yes, there is hardly a market for those games but we’ve seen plenty of successes otherwise. Palworld is a recent example of that.

Can’t say I agree with the term 7/10 game encompassing all mid tier game development projects. I think mid tier games can be 10/10 games but they will need to focus on a certain part of game play and nail that. They also need to do things differently from the competition. If you build an rpg that is exactly like other games and you have a lower budget I can see them falling in the 7/10 category and yes, there is hardly a market for those games but we’ve seen plenty of successes otherwise. Palworld is a recent example of that.

I’m referring to games with 70 open critic scores, not budgets.

Does the consolidation mean that they’ll also abandon the re-releases of their back catalogue? Projects like Chrono cross, live a live, Star ocean 2, Crisis core reunion, and Tactics Ogre? Are they also considered to be a waste of opportunity costs?

I don’t understand how Rebirth hasn’t sold very well, at least on par if not better than 16. It has a super high metacritic score and was lauded during launch that I figured it would sell even more than Remake despite the absence of lockdowns and covid. Maybe I’m out of touch or something, or people’s purses have been tightened a lot more considering the economic crises going on and high living costs.
It could just be that Square misjudged the demand for a reimagining of FF7?

I don't have a ps5 but that kinda title doesn't make me want one.

I'd sooner take Visions of Mana than that.

But then again, I'm probably far outside the audience of SE right now.

I like my games stylized and cartoony, absent life-like characters. Always have.

They didn't misjudge the demand for a remake of FFVII, it's just that most or that demand was satiated after the release of FFVII Remake.
There's almost no way to really prove that soo.......

And I doubt the "break glass in case of emergency" title was only ever expected to sell basically exactly what it sold in its original form?

Skeptical 🫤

Lack of coherent platform strategy is the 1st order problem though. Investors wouldn't be fleeing like they are today if 16 and 7R had been on Steam day and date - sales would be double (or higher in 16's case, in my opinion), revenues on sales would be higher given 100% of sales would be digital, and one of those games would have gone through their first Winter sale.
I will be honest, I think that is a second order problem than whom is buying the product. When you have no idea whom that is, even if you optimize sales for a platform... they will plateau at some point. If they wand some sustainability with those grow numbers, then the platform doesn't really add much to how they are doing... it just makes it another ball to juggle and SE has been pretty poor when it comes to that.

Figure out the customer to target and go after them is a much more considered effort than assuming that if they just make it a available, it will save them. No amount of day-and-date scheduling can fix a fundamental issue like the one SE is having. They don't know whom their games are for, in a market as tight as PC.... you just get caught adrift.

It could just be that Square misjudged the demand for a reimagining of FF7?

I don't have a ps5 but that kinda title doesn't make me want one.

I'd sooner take Visions of Mana than that.

But then again, I'm probably far outside the audience of SE right now.

I like my games stylized and cartoony, absent life-like characters. Always have.
They didn't misjudge the demand for a remake of FFVII, it's just that most or that demand was satiated after the release of FFVII Remake.

I think you’re both right. SE misjudged the demand for three-game reimagining of FFVII and many players interested in a remake of FFVII had their fill of nostalgia by the time they finished the first game. (Maybe even earlier, based on completion percentages.)

Does the consolidation mean that they’ll also abandon the re-releases of their back catalogue? Projects like Chrono cross, live a live, Star ocean 2, Crisis core reunion, and Tactics Ogre? Are they also considered to be a waste of opportunity costs?
Nah. At worse, they'll put up the original versions.

I wonder if Square was considering making a "FF7-2" game if the remake trilogy did well.
Haven't they have allowed that for years?
If anything FF7 has managed something of an extended universe all to itself between all the media behind the title. Still, that castle is crumbling under it's own weight it would seem.

I will be honest, I would not put it pass SE to have assumed that rebuilding that castle under the same process was in the cards... a pity that folks ain't buying what they are selling.

Well SE bait and switched the fuck out of everyone with FFVII Remake, I imagine a very large portion of the people who bought into the first game were going into it with the expectation that it was going to be, you know, a remake instead of the Kingdom Hearts nonsense it ended up being and most of the people who were burned by that jumped ship and didn't come back for the sequel. Also being on a single platform certainly didn't help.

Theres no "Kingdom Hearts shit" in Final Fantasy VII Remake
I disagree wholeheartedly. All of the alternate timeline multiverse garbage was something precisely zero people were asking for when the remake was announced and the numbers for second game pretty well speak for themselves in terms of what the majority of people thought of it.

Plot stuff is always quite subjective but all the added story elements are very confusing because it's like the games are trying to tell two stories at once but they are water and oil and never mix. For example, the party in Rebirth never discusses that they already saw the future at the end of the first game and know the things that are going to happen, nobody talks about how Barret literally fucking died and got resurrected by a spooky ghost, not even the man himself, etc. The games are a remake until suddenly it's wacky plot ghosts shenanigans out of literally nowhere but don't you worry because as soon as it's over the characters will pretend nothing strange just happened. It's very, very awkward imo, like they are trying to have their cake and eat it too, they should have just stuck to either faithful retelling or whole new story instead of this bizarre middle of the road approach.

Not to mention that the whole first part is basically them fighting against soldiers and maybe some bigger monsters/robots. More or less some "grounded" stuff. Because we can't forget that we are playing just some stronger humans.

At the end we have the party fighting skyscraper monsters, cutting through buildings and other bs. We basically skipped to advent children power level stuff despite us struggling with "grunts" days prior.

It simply isn't consistent in the story told up to this point. Them not even acknowledging it makes it worse.

The whole story garbage not even counting.

I disagree wholeheartedly. All of the alternate timeline multiverse garbage was something precisely zero people were asking for when the remake was announced and the numbers for second game pretty well speak for themselves in terms of what the majority of people thought of it.
I don't think you can make a definitive statement about that when the original came out on PS4 at the start of covid vs a game only out on ps5. You have to get pretty far into the game to even realize the meta stuff is a thing, according to psn profiles ~50% of players never got far. Where a lot of players stopped it was impossible to know that the Whisper were meta stuff and not just additional new content to expand the remake like Roche (assuming 7 remake wasn't their first exposure to FF7 to realize Roche & Whispers were new).

Among the people who did finished it? I still don't think we can make that claim when we're comparing across generations. How many simply can't justify $570 for a game and a ps5? How many decided to jump to primarily pc gaming? Or went to Xbox Series? Or died since 7 Remake came out? It's easy to let the emotions of people who really didn't like the twist and broadly proclaim it paint the narrative for us. If 7 Rebirth had been delayed a year and came to everything day 1 including Switch 2 are we confident the game still underperforms or does it have an even bigger launch? There's far too many variables to try and pin the blame on the meta swerve nature of the story. Not saying that wasn't an issue, but I doubt it's as big of an issue as the game currently being a ps5 exclusive is.

As someone who usually never buys any Square Enix game except the Nier franchise.

I must say that the naming of their franchises is very weird. I wonder if it can actually damage them.

FF VII for example: ( I actually know each game but maybe someone more "casual" gets confused):

Final Fantasy VII Remake (But its the part 1)
Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade (second part? DLC?)
CRISIS CORE –FINAL FANTASY VII– REUNION
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Another DLC?)

Why don't name the remakes with Part 1: name , Part 2: Rebirth...

Yeah, it's clear that Square Enix has often aimed at targeting the original fanbase with the Final Fantasy franchise. This worked as long as the franchise was still widely popular but at the certain point older fanbase grew tired/left the video game sector and without new gamers the confusion in names, marketing and games backfired.

Crisis Core sold pretty well and this shows that there's still a loyal fanbase which is unable, per se, to sustain bigger productions.

As someone who usually never buys any Square Enix game except the Nier franchise.

I must say that the naming of their franchises is very weird. I wonder if it can actually damage them.

FF VII for example: ( I actually know each game but maybe someone more "casual" gets confused):

I agree with this. I only remember which is which because proximity of release of one (and on going discussions) but I can't imagine a normal person can tell these apart.

WiiU levels of naming convention.

I don't think you can make a definitive statement about that when the original came out on PS4 at the start of covid vs a game only out on ps5. You have to get pretty far into the game to even realize the meta stuff is a thing, according to psn profiles ~50% of players never got far. Where a lot of players stopped it was impossible to know that the Whisper were meta stuff and not just additional new content to expand the remake like Roche (assuming 7 remake wasn't their first exposure to FF7 to realize Roche & Whispers were new).

Among the people who did finished it? I still don't think we can make that claim when we're comparing across generations. How many simply can't justify $570 for a game and a ps5? How many decided to jump to primarily pc gaming? Or went to Xbox Series? Or died since 7 Remake came out? It's easy to let the emotions of people who really didn't like the twist and broadly proclaim it paint the narrative for us. If 7 Rebirth had been delayed a year and came to everything day 1 including Switch 2 are we confident the game still underperforms or does it have an even bigger launch? There's far too many variables to try and pin the blame on the meta swerve nature of the story. Not saying that wasn't an issue, but I doubt it's as big of an issue as the game currently being a ps5 exclusive is.

Obviously we can’t make any definitive statements, but the level at which Rebirth appears to have bombed implies many issues. I think it would be foolish to discount the plot being one of those issues.

Speaking only for myself, the “Kingdom Hearts shit” (great descriptor!) is a big reason I did not buy Rebirth. (Also a big reason I haven’t bought a Kingdom Hearts game since II.)

They didn't name it Final Fantasy 7 Part 1 because they didn't want low information comsumers to wait or to think it was a lesser project. That got them in a whole mess, but...IDK, there's so many problems with FF7R's whole project.

I'm somewhat skeptical of the idea that adding "Kingdom Hearts bullshit" to a game will negatively affect its performance. Mainly because Kingdom Hearts 3 crushed both Final Fantasy 16 and Rebirth in sales.

I don't think wonky plot is the issue. A lot of people will play games for the moment to moment element and the emotional moments, which are all there and memorable.

I think the biggest problem is it's a trilogy with very bad naming clarity.

If I was coming at these games with mostly a nostalgia bend, then I already got that from the first game. I can point at the screen be excited for Cloud and Sephiroth and have had my fill.

I'm somewhat skeptical of the idea that adding "Kingdom Hearts bullshit" to a game will negatively affect its performance. Mainly because Kingdom Hearts 3 crushed both Final Fantasy 16 and Rebirth in sales.
But when it was though? 2019? At that time FF7R sold 5m just year later.

Maybe they decided to follow the tradition of the horrible naming "convention" of the compilation of FFVII.
Or maybe they didn't want two numbers/iterators in the title.

Personally I don't mind the remake names (Remake and Rebirth) but I dislike Intergrade and Reunion.
Intergrade should've gotten a generic "definitive edition"(/ultima edition) subtitle.
The Reunion in the CC Remake/Remaster is even worse since it implies being part of the remake series while Rebirth managed to ignore most of the bad parts of CC (=most of the game).

Overall I think neither the story of the remake series nor the titles are as bad/confusing as the Kingdom Hearts series.

The naming convention is weird cause the first one is called Remake and the second Rebirth which also makes it feel likes a remake name/title. Which it is, but not a part 2 to Remake’s Part 1. And both have VII numbering as well.

But I don’t know how much of a difference it would’ve made with clear naming honestly. The first game funnily enough felt like a *satisfying* conclusion even tho it wasn’t anywhere near that (it ends with “the journey will continue”). You got a grand final with the final Boss being a spectacle and almost all the main cast apart from Cid and Cait Sith being there. Like it’s missing a chunk of the full game but you don’t get to see
Aerith’s death and then you get to have her face Sepiroth in remake
. Happy ending for some lol

Might be in the end as simple as There wasn’t as much interest as Square/Sony were hoping. The pre-release hype did seem muted. But I was trying to be spoiler free so I didn’t keep up much so I wouldn’t know lol

All and all. I think the game will end up decently profitable with sales and whatnot. But I guess that’s one reason for change in tactics. You want that full price profits.

I know some people will dislike it, but I think there is a genuine argument for FF dropping the numbers.
Nowadays it's probably doing more harm than good.
What's the argument and what recent FF games would have performed substantially better if there wasn't a number attached to it ?

Because at that point you might introduce the games just a new IPs and get rid of the FF game all together, that's something that would actually have an effect. I don't think XVI needed to be a FF game, but leaving out only the number would also irritate customers because there are so many spinoffs without numbers.

It's not the best solution, but as of now at least the numbered titles are some way to differentiate the big once or twice in a generation titles from the sea of spinoffs even less people care about.

Kingdom Hearts nonsense
I tend to like to call this "The fan fiction writing style of Tetsuya Nomura" and I am not a fan of it because it is actually too detail driven.
It would seem that there is something of a prerequisite to do absolutely everything in his games to get a full picture of what ever plot is happening, which leads to something a narrative creep where even the most insignificant thing has either a plot reliance or challenge easing item.

It lends itself to much bigger games, and honestly, that isn't working at the moment. Even the reviews seem to have caught this and are bothered by it.

I know some people will dislike it, but I think there is a genuine argument for FF dropping the numbers.
Nowadays it's probably doing more harm than good.
I will be honest... I doubt that it is such an easy fix since every single numbered title is a standalone title, unto itself.
That is not something that would lead to confusion, as long as it is clearly communicated.... which given SE management? That seems to be conveyed.

But I wonder if that is something that casuals are confused by? I couldn't tell you and it might be something for SE to find out.

• Triangle strategy
  • Tactics ogre remaster
  • Octopath traveler 2
  • Crisis core remake

Yea I will miss this square compared to a potential Conservative Play-it-Safe Square like the others

• Triangle strategy
  • Tactics ogre remaster
  • Octopath traveler 2
  • Crisis core remake
2022 & 2023 was definitely good years for those that like SE smaller production, this year is quite empty so far and if upcoming years are similar I honestly don't think it's gonna work that well for SE, though it will definitely help me save money.

I don't think wonky plot is the issue. A lot of people will play games for the moment to moment element and the emotional moments, which are all there and memorable.

I think the biggest problem is it's a trilogy with very bad naming clarity.

If I was coming at these games with mostly a nostalgia bend, then I already got that from the first game. I can point at the screen be excited for Cloud and Sephiroth and have had my fill.
The games also aren't really super welcoming to newcomers. There's so much wink wink nudge meta commentary that if someone just wants to experience the massively hyped Final Fantasy VII in modern form for the first time, this trilogy will be somewhat disorienting.

Plot stuff is always quite subjective but all the added story elements are very confusing because it's like the games are trying to tell two stories at once but they are water and oil and never mix. For example, the party in Rebirth never discusses that they already saw the future at the end of the first game and know the things that are going to happen, nobody talks about how Barret literally fucking died and got resurrected by a spooky ghost, not even the man himself, etc. The games are a remake until suddenly it's wacky plot ghosts shenanigans out of literally nowhere but don't you worry because as soon as it's over the characters will pretend nothing strange just happened. It's very, very awkward imo, like they are trying to have their cake and eat it too, they should have just stuck to either faithful retelling or whole new story instead of this bizarre middle of the road approach.
As someone who loves Rebirth, that’s actually true. They threat this so called destiny shades/shadows as something so mundane and ordinary like the player would have known about it…. And taking so long to release each game is stupid. This should have been a 2 game and enough.

The things is the battle system is sublime. I put 160h in Rebirth. Just keep playing to repeat the battle and trying new materia loadouts.

According to Nikkei Nintendo shares rise 4,1 % due to speculation about Square Enix AAA games being developed for Nintendo platforms:

Nintendo's fourth consecutive day of gains rose to 8,343 yen, up 332 yen (4.14%) from the previous day. Square Enix HD (9684) announced on March 13 its medium-term management plan for the fiscal year ending March 2027, which will end in the fiscal year ending March 2027, and indicated its policy to promote the development of major intellectual property (IP) and "AAA" (influential) titles on multiple platforms, including Nintendo.

According to Nikkei Nintendo shares rise 4,1 % due to speculation about Square Enix AAA games being developed for Nintendo platforms:

I'll say just this: Should SE games experience a new Renaissance thanks to releasing day 1 on Switch 2 (like, say, FF17 selling 2+ mio or DQ12 reaching 3+ mio), then I hope we'll hold a big 'told ya'-event on IB 🤷‍♀️😹

Back
Top Bottom