• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Square Enix output strategy | Discussion thread.

What platforms do you believe Dragon Quest XII will release on?

• Nintendo platform (Switch and/or Switch successor)

Votes: 58 89.2%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • PC

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Xbox (One and/or Series)

Votes: 25 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So SE's lineup (ignoring DLC) now is

Live A Live (July 22)
Dragon Quest X Offline (Sept 15)
Diofield Chronicle (Sept 22)
Nier Automata Switch (Oct 6)
Forspoken (Oct 11)
Star Ocean 6 (Oct 27)
Harvestella (Nov 4)
Dragon Quest Treasures (Dec 9)
Crisis Core
Valkyrie Elysium
Romancing SaGa: Ministrel's Song Remastered

Full Metal Alchemist Mobile
Final Fantasy 7: Ever Crisis
Kingdom Hearts Missing Link

Final Fantasy XVI (Summer 2023)
Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth (Winter 2023)

TBA
Dragon Quest: Dai
DQIII HD
Dragon Quest XII
Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 3
Kingdom Heart IV
new Mana title
new SaGa title

Pretty much confirmed: FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, FF9 Remake.
Nier is also likely to be 2023.

20 titles in 2022, and 10 or so in 2023, while years like 2020 and 2019 had like 5.....IMO shows a mismanagement of their pipeline or COVID causing game cycles to stack. If DQ12, FF7R2, FF16, Forspoken, Nier are all released by end of 2023, then all these teams are not going to release a AAA RPG for another 3-4 years.

Pretty much confirmed: FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, FF9 Remake.
Nier is also likely to be 2023.

20 titles in 2022, and 10 or so in 2023, while years like 2020 and 2019 had like 5.....IMO shows a mismanagement of their pipeline or COVID causing game cycles to stack. If DQ12, FF7R2, FF16, Forspoken, Nier are all released by end of 2023, then all these teams are not going to release a AAA RPG for another 3-4 years.
2019 and 2020 had more than 5 (even if you exclude their indie efforts, current gen ports, mobile games and localizations).
  • Kingdom Hearts III
  • Chocobo Mystery Dungeon
  • Oninaki
  • Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
  • Final Fantasy 8
  • Final Fantasy 9
  • Dragon Quest XI S
  • Star Ocean: First Departure R
  • Romancing SaGa 3
  • FFVII Remake
  • Trials of Mana
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory
  • Collection of SaGa
  • Dragon Quest Rivals Ace
Dragon Quest XII is probably not going to come out in 2023 as well as Kingdom Hearts IV. So those two are 2024 titles. I would assume the next FFXIV expansion probably won't come out in the same year as FFXVI so those are 3 major titles for 2024. If Dragon Quest XII does come out next year, then I'm guessing Dragon Quest Monsters is planned for late 2024. Beyond that, what gets remastered, ported and gets a spinoff is always unclear. There's more than a few SaGa, Mana and Dragon Quest games to get remastered

Wonder why Star Ocean isnt release on switch too.
Doesn't look any better than your average AA jrpg and looks already very outdated graphically speaking.
Maybe would be released later of Nier Port sold well?.
Or maybe Sony have a deal or something.

2019 and 2020 had more than 5 (even if you exclude their indie efforts, current gen ports, mobile games and localizations).
  • Kingdom Hearts III
  • Chocobo Mystery Dungeon
  • Oninaki
  • Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
  • Dragon Quest XI S
  • FFVII Remake
  • Trials of Mana
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory
  • Dragon Quest Rivals Ace
Dragon Quest XII is probably not going to come out in 2023 as well as Kingdom Hearts IV. So those two are 2024 titles. I would assume the next FFXIV expansion probably won't come out in the same year as FFXVI so those are 3 major titles for 2024. If Dragon Quest XII does come out next year, then I'm guessing Dragon Quest Monsters is planned for late 2024. Beyond that, what gets remastered, ported and gets a spinoff is always unclear. There's more than a few SaGa, Mana and Dragon Quest games to get remastered

I think ports, collections and HD remasters should be removed, which is what I've done.
If we count new games and remakes it goes something like this:
  • 2019 : 5
  • 2020 : 5
  • 2021 : 10
  • 2022 : 16
  • 2023 : 7-8
I feel like 2024-5 will go back to lows of 2019, 20

Square Enix H2 2022 schedule as of July 4, 2022
What do you all think? Too crowded? I like that they have so many AA projects
  • DQ X Offline (JP only) - Sept 15
  • DioField - Sept 22
  • Valkyrie Elysium - Sept 29
  • NieR Automata Switch - Oct 6
  • Forspoken - Oct 22
  • Star Ocean DF - Oct 27
  • Harvestella - Nov 4
  • DQ Treasures - Dec 9
  • Crisis Core Reunion - "This Winter"
  • Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song - "This Winter"
Thanks to HDKirin

• DioField - Sept 22
  • Forspoken - Oct 22
  • Star Ocean DF - Oct 27
  • Harvestella - Nov 4
  • DQ Treasures - Dec 9
Thanks to HDKirin
I think they'll all do well in their niche except Forespoken (which they are positioning as AAA) and Diofield. All the others I think will do well for what they are.

• DioField - Sept 22
  • Forspoken - Oct 22
  • Star Ocean DF - Oct 27
  • Harvestella - Nov 4
  • DQ Treasures - Dec 9
Thanks to HDKirin
they all have their niches, but for multiplat owners, somethings will eat into others

• DioField - Sept 22
  • Forspoken - Oct 22
  • Star Ocean DF - Oct 27
  • Harvestella - Nov 4
  • DQ Treasures - Dec 9
Thanks to HDKirin
I honestly wouldn't be shocked if everything not named Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy Crisis Core, and maybe Nier on Switch bombed. With just how much they are releasing in such a short span in between the releases of bigger games from other companies.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if everything not named Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy Crisis Core, and maybe Nier on Switch bombed. With just how much they are releasing in such a short span in between the releases of bigger games from other companies.
Harvestella isn't going to bomb, I think. It has momentum out of the gate and targeting an audience that doesn't have a higher end experience yet.

Valkyrie Elysium: PS4/PS5 on Sept. 29. Steam on Nov. 11. Valkyrie Profile Lenneth will be ported to PS4/PS5.
Wise choice to delay Forspoken. Square Enix is really pumping a lot of games out this season. I hope they're succesful with the strategy because I do appreciate the AA portfolio that they're investing into.

Wise choice to delay Forspoken. Square Enix is really pumping a lot of games out this season. I hope they're succesful with the strategy because I do appreciate the AA portfolio that they're investing into.

SE basically like

types-of-fishing-rods-scaled.jpg

Good call. With TLOU, GoW, Hogwarts and MW2, Forspoken was massively overshadowed. And that's pretty important considering its a AAA title with much higher sales expectations than AA releases.
I'd go so far to say it's being overshadowed by other SE games

Good call. With TLOU, GoW, Hogwarts and MW2, Forspoken was massively overshadowed. And that's pretty important considering its a AAA title with much higher sales expectations than AA releases.
Not particularly. It's not like Assassin's Creed gets overshadowed by releasing a week before CoD. There was enough space in terms of AAA even if you count Nintendo games. It's some of the other SE games that should be delayed. They are all competing for a similar audience. To put it simply, in that environment, Forspoken is competing among a 5-10 million potential audience that merely just needs the right marketing and quality to get the million+ it needs but, the rest of SE's new game lineup is mostly competing for the same 1 million audience which is splitting it like 7 ways in the span of 3 months, not even counting stuff the other publishers that are also appealing to same audience like Persona 5 Royal and a bunch of small stuff like Made in Abyss and Trails from Zero. Some in that 1 million might buy 2 games but, it going to struggle to appeal to them with games with similar aesthetics

Not particularly. It's not like Assassin's Creed gets overshadowed by releasing a week before CoD. There was enough space in terms of AAA even if you count Nintendo games. It's some of the other SE games that should be delayed. They are all competing for a similar audience. To put it simply, in that environment, Forspoken is competing among a 5-10 million potential audience that merely just needs the right marketing and quality to get the million+ it needs but, the rest of SE's new game lineup is mostly competing for the same 1 million audience which is splitting it like 7 ways in the span of 3 months, not even counting stuff the other publishers that are also appealing to same audience like Persona 5 Royal and a bunch of small stuff like Made in Abyss and Trails from Zero. Some in that 1 million might buy 2 games but, it going to struggle to appeal to them with games with similar aesthetics

The thing is that Sony has paid for exclusivity for Forspoken, so they also have an interest in spacing their AAA portfolio out. It makes sense to delay it to January.

So there are interviews about Crisis Core Reunion. A few points they stated:

Intriguingly, a remaster of Crisis Core was actually considered right back at the start of the Remake project, although development only began in the middle of creating the first Remake game.

So the game was being considered and developed in parallel with Remake.

The game is set for release this winter across multiple platforms, in contrast to the PlayStation console exclusivity of the core Remake project. It's really about bringing this game to as wide an audience as possible, regardless of whether they've played Final Fantasy 7 Remake or not.

"There's no real requirement that we have to align with the Remake series," says Kitase. "It's not decided on a series basis, it's basically each individual title will be assessed for which we think the best platform and the best audience for it will be."

Following the original release exclusively on PSP - and the limited availability of the handheld nowadays - the team made the decision to go multiplatform.

"We wanted to expand [the audience] and allow as many people as possible around the world to play this game on whatever platforms they have," says Kitase.

This is the bigger point. They want to bring this game to the widest audience as possible. There isn't a strategy to align any FF7-Remake adjacent works with the Sony console timed exclusivity. Of course, it also doesn't indicate a further plan to eventually port console exclusive titles for wider audiences, considering super late ports are rarely big sellers versus the original launch due to FOMO.

I was checking Square Enix’ Japanese YouTube channel and Diofield Chronicles, Star Ocean 6, Harvestella, and Valkyrie Elysium are getting a decent amount of views. Around the 500-700k view counts.

In the western YouTube of things, Valkyrie Elysium and Harvestella are doing some good numbers too and much more than Star Ocean 6 and Diofield. I hope they’re successful, I really like how Square Enix is diversifying their portfolio

I was checking Square Enix’ Japanese YouTube channel and Diofield Chronicles, Star Ocean 6, Harvestella, and Valkyrie Elysium are getting a decent amount of views. Around the 500-700k view counts.

In the western YouTube of things, Valkyrie Elysium and Harvestella are doing some good numbers too and much more than Star Ocean 6 and Diofield. I hope they’re successful, I really like how Square Enix is diversifying their portfolio
Yeah you weren't kidding Diofield trailer almost at 1 million views! No clue why it popped off but good sign potentially

I am not able to post full threads just yet so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me make a prediction thread for Square Enix's second half of 2022? I'd love to get the community's input on how well the many Square Enix AA games will do. Just send me a PM and I'll send you the OP text :) Thanks in advance.

So, how about that Episode DLC/Season Pass that locks out content for a lot of players unless you play on the highest difficulty available for players for Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin?

I found out after I bought it for $25 (most players likely bought it when they bought the game) and booting up the game. They did not make this clear when they originally announced the Season Pass or when more details come out. I think for a lot of us, found out upon booting this up.

Personal screenshots:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Games Radar article on the whole mess too:

Anyways, needless to say, because of how Sony's refund policy, I'm just going to take the loss and not risk losing my account. Thanks, Square Enix and Team Ninja. From, a disabled gamer that just BARELY beat the game on Story mode.

I don't really have a problem with DLC being locked to a certain progression point in the game, but you're objectively correct that it should have been very clearly communicated before going on sale.

I don't really have a problem with DLC being locked to a certain progression point in the game, but you're objectively correct that it should have been very clearly communicated before going on sale.

The DLC is marked after the games content, which for progression, absolutely make sense why it's locked until after you beat the game. The PROBLEM is it's locked to the HIGHEST difficulty in the game, making it impossible for a lot of people, especially with those with disabilities (which I have). And the problem is, the Episode DLC/Season Pass was sold as pre-order and afterwards. They never made this clear and the fact is, Square Enix and the devs heavily promoted the game have numerous difficulty modes and you can enjoy the game at your own pace/leisure with whatever mode you desire. This DLC is important story content that takes place after the game.

This completely defeats the purpose of the difficulty options and what they were promoting at the time the game launched.

It's completely unacceptable and I'm going to be blunt: Ableist.

EDIT: Apologies if I'm getting snippy. I'm just beyond pissed Square Enix and Team Ninja thought this was okay.

Last edited:
EDIT: Apologies if I'm getting snippy. I'm just beyond pissed Square Enix and Team Ninja thought this was okay.
No need to apologize. You have every right to be pissed. Enforcing certain requirements that must be met in order to access paid DLC is something that needs to be articulated very clearly and very prominently to the user before the purchase is finalized. The situation you describe borders on outright deception.

Let's see if I get a warning for this post.

Normally I don't like to do that, because I don't think much of opinion pieces, but this one really hits the spot after 3.5 years and also shows quite well the course of Square Enix over the last few years.

This industry-wide disavowal of handhelds due to smartphones is now a laughing stock after the market has reached saturation within a few years and is once again referring to handhelds with the Nintendo Switch.

Square Enix should really focus more on AA games if they really want to be healthy, instead of blowing their money on unprofitable AAA games that they funded the development of with AA games, not so they have to detach entire studios and IPs from themselves.

I mean, Konami is practically only living like this now that the mobile market has imposed limits on them.

What AAA games were unprofitable aside from the one's made by studios they've sold and no longer work with? SE batting average for AA games is pretty bad, which isn't that big of a deal because AA games by definition are less risky and they have profitable MMO/Mobile/AAA games to make up for it, but it's far from the safest play. They've got what seems like a dozen AA games coming out within 3 months of each other, i dont have alot of confidence in most of them.

Normally I don't like to do that, because I don't think much of opinion pieces, but this one really hits the spot after 3.5 years and also shows quite well the course of Square Enix over the last few years.

This industry-wide disavowal of handhelds due to smartphones is now a laughing stock after the market has reached saturation within a few years and is once again referring to handhelds with the Nintendo Switch.

Square Enix should really focus more on AA games if they really want to be healthy, instead of blowing their money on unprofitable AAA games that they funded the development of with AA games, not so they have to detach entire studios and IPs from themselves.

I mean, Konami is practically only living like this now that the mobile market has imposed limits on them.
Why would you get warned ? You post is well constructed, respectful and sourced.
What AAA games were unprofitable aside from the one's made by studios they've sold and no longer work with? SE batting average for AA games is pretty bad, which isn't that big of a deal because AA games by definition are less risky and they have profitable MMO/Mobile/AAA games to make up for it, but it's far from the safest play. They've got what seems like a dozen AA games coming out within 3 months of each other, i dont have alot of confidence in most of them.
Even if it is too early, I would say that Forspoken will probably be unprofitable (even a part of it might be offset by the PlayStation partnership). The game isn't tracking well so far.

However, I do agree that since Square has shifted to UE4, their JP AAA output has been great and is profitable. Their AA strategy is also very important to try new concepts and ideas they couldn't on an AAA (Octopath kickstarted the HD-2D wave, which yielded great results for Square) but they'll also have a few bombs in there.

• SE's mobile division effectively doubles their net worth, making near $1B annually, as much as their entire console gaming and MMO PC gaming division combined.
  • Smartphones have absolutely dominated handheld gaming even in Japan. It's not even a contest when you look at the numbers. Smartphone gaming is pretty much bigger than console and PC combined.
  • Not sure why you think AA is "healthy" or has the means to fund the majority of that $800M figure, when many AA games SE has put out have not done well and their returns are comparably tiny against the huge successes SE has had with KH3 or FF7R.
  • Konami makes a lot of money from mobile gaming, likely the majority is from mobile gaming.

Not sure why you think AA is "healthy" or has the means to fund the majority of that $800M figure, when many AA games SE has put out have not done well and their returns are comparably tiny against the huge successes SE has had with KH3 or FF7R.
It's relative to investment. Octopath selling somewhere between a third to half what FF7R or KH3 did is notable because it likely didn't cost near a third to half what those did to make. And then you also have the rare AA like Nier Auto even outselling games like KH3 or FF7R.

Nier and the Asano Team efforts are sort of outliers for AA too though. There are other successes like Mana, SaGa, FF/DQ spinoffs and the bevy of remasters but there's also bombs like Chocobo, Balan or TWEWY. The bombs also sting less though than things like Stranger of Paradise or Forspoken will.

AA games funding AAA.

Don't think I've read that one before.

Not that I agree on this occasion but IIRC Ubisoft once said their Imagine games on DS/Wii were funding their AAA games. 😂

It's relative to investment. Octopath selling somewhere between a third to half what FF7R or KH3 did is notable because it likely didn't cost near a third to half what those did to make. And then you also have the rare AA like Nier Auto even outselling games like KH3 or FF7R.

Nier and the Asano Team efforts are sort of outliers for AA too though. There are other successes like Mana, SaGa, FF/DQ spinoffs and the bevy of remasters but there's also bombs like Chocobo, Balan or TWEWY. The bombs also sting less though than things like Stranger of Paradise or Forspoken will.

Stranger of Paradise is more AA than it is AAA. Koei Tecmo studio + 2 years dev time is pure AA material.

Not that I agree on this occasion but IIRC Ubisoft once said their Imagine games on DS/Wii were funding their AAA games. 😂

That's funny, though in my comment I was only refering to SE situation and not talking in general terms.

There are lower budget games out there that are crazy successful and make a shit ton of money, but that's not really the case here unless I'm forgetting something obvious. We have some games that sell a few million and most certainly have great profit margins but going from there to fund AAA games that cost like 100M at this point... it's just nonsense.

Not to mention SE big titles from the japanese side were pretty successful last gen. Main thing that needs improvement is their development process but since the follow-up projects (DQXII, KHIV, Rebirth, etc) are being made in UE from the start, that shouldn't be a issue this time around.

Stranger of Paradise is more AA than it is AAA. Koei Tecmo studio + 2 years dev time is pure AA material.
That's fair. Throw it on the pile with Chocobo and Balan then.

edit: though dev budget is only half the equation. I can't remember the last AA game that got this kind of promotional push and ad spend from Square Enix. We'd probably have to go back to the PS2 or maybe DS/PSP era.

Last edited:
SE's own marketing is lackluster and public discussion can't sustain itself in downtime like we've seen from Final Fantasy 16. this is anecdotal but I'm just not seeing any engagement. and now that the game was delayed out of the year, this will only continue (and hurt it)

I feel like its the opposite. If Sony/SE didn’t have faith in it they would have dropped it in October as planned. The fact that they didn’t want to sandwich it inbetween TLOU and GOWR marketing, (along with SE other 12 game releases) and chose to give it its own space in the beginning of the year says a lot.

Not only that but I bet part of the reasoning is that Sony is intending on having a really big holiday shipment of PS5’s, which will only help the game, especially if it had released last spring like Ghostwire.

Most people actually engaging with the game (youtube) seem pretty excited for it. There just hasn’t been a lot of marketing for it over the summer, but you can say the same about Harry Potter.

Its trailer reception reminds me of guardians of the galaxy, a really cool premise with alot of reasons to be optimistic but for whatever reason its just not clicking with people.

I hope it doesnt share the same fate.

Its trailer reception reminds me of guardians of the galaxy, a really cool premise with alot of reasons to be optimistic but for whatever reason its just not clicking with people.

I hope it doesnt share the same fate.
I'm more afraid of people using it for race baiting

It's relative to investment. Octopath selling somewhere between a third to half what FF7R or KH3 did is notable because it likely didn't cost near a third to half what those did to make.

It's not because Octopath sold 2.5M after something like 3 years with multiple discounts.

KH3 shipped 5M in its first month, and FF7R did 5 million in 3-4 months.

SE's own marketing is lackluster and public discussion can't sustain itself in downtime like we've seen from Final Fantasy 16. this is anecdotal but I'm just not seeing any engagement. and now that the game was delayed out of the year, this will only continue (and hurt it)

Trailer views and twitter engagement seems fine...?
I remember seeing steam wishlist has it compare pretty well to other SE titles.

Given the game is still in a dev state and quite far off, I don't imagine anything big being shown off till the release marketing kicks off a month or so from the release date.

Octopath is the type of game that makes a profit at 400-500k. FF7 Remake is the type of game that makes a profit at 3M. The thing about Octopath is that you can produce 6 to 7 of them at same level of resources of a game the size of FF7 Remake. If all 6 of those games sell 2 million average, you achieve about 10 million units worth in profit. If a game like FF7R sells 10 million, you get only 7 million units worth in profit. Even if the smaller games have a greater percentage of sales during sales, it's not like they go sale for much lower than what AAA games go on sale for. The issue for AAA is that they have to sell that much to actually being profitable and if the company isn't efficient, you end up wasting more money because of delays. Screwups like the recent Tomb Raider games become a massive burden which is why SE sold them. The reason you go for AAA is the higher sales cap but, Square Enix hasn't demonstrated games selling enough to focus on that.

Octopath is the type of game that makes a profit at 400-500k. FF7 Remake is the type of game that makes a profit at 3M. The thing about Octopath is that you can produce 6 to 7 of them at same level of resources of a game the size of FF7 Remake. If all 6 of those games sell 2 million average, you achieve about 10 million units worth in profit. If a game like FF7R sells 10 million, you get only 7 million units worth in profit. Even if the smaller games have a greater percentage of sales during sales, it's not like they go sale for much lower than what AAA games go on sale for. The issue for AAA is that they have to sell that much to actually being profitable and if the company isn't efficient, you end up wasting more money because of delays. Screwups like the recent Tomb Raider games become a massive burden which is why SE sold them. The reason you go for AAA is the higher sales cap but, Square Enix hasn't demonstrated games selling enough to focus on that.

I think people are underestimating the develop time for these “smaller AA” games.

Its taken just as long between Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy as its taken between Final Fantasy VII Remake part I and II and thats not counting Intermission. Final Fantasy 7 Remake has also been sold to 3 platforms, they are making up for a lot of those cost with timed deals.

And yeah, a middling performance for FF7 is still a much bigger piece of the pie than an exceptionally selling Asano game. A middling Asano game like Live A Live is gonna be, doesn’t really do much for SE’s bottom line

Last edited:
Its taken just as long between Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy as its taken between Final Fantasy VII Remake part I and II and thats not counting Intermission.
Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy are made by different developers (non in-house), they just share the same producer team behind in SE (Team Asano) which also released Braverly Default II between these games and now Live A Live.

It's not because Octopath sold 2.5M after something like 3 years with multiple discounts.

KH3 shipped 5M in its first month, and FF7R did 5 million in 3-4 months.
Multiple discounts? Octopath's generally held it's $60 MSRP to this day because it's Nintendo 1st party overseas and also because of this like 90% of sales are on Switch. It almost certainly has a higher ASP than any FF or KH game this gen. Revenue is probably comfortably over half of FF7R and KH3 (not including DLC).

edit: You can check price history here for major physical and digital retailers in the US:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom