• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Square Enix output strategy | Discussion thread.

What platforms do you believe Dragon Quest XII will release on?

• Nintendo platform (Switch and/or Switch successor)

Votes: 58 89.2%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • PC

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Xbox (One and/or Series)

Votes: 25 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I highly doubt Nomura is talking about ports. The elephant in the room is part 2. I also highly doubt its coming 2022. Late 2023, more likely 2024 by which time PS5 will have more than sufficient install base.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he touched on FF7R on Xbox if MS has it at their conference and announces it for Gamepass, but it won't take up much time I'm sure.

I'm just waiting on a bunch of new AA Switch announcements come June tbh. Keep em coming guys

Figured I would post this here. FF9 show will be shown off next week, which means that we are probably close to FF9 Remake announcement.

Figured I would post this here. FF9 show will be shown off next week, which means that we are probably close to FF9 Remake announcement.

Definitely will be interesting to see if we see a Summer Games Festival announcement or if this waits until Tokyo Games Show. They'll want to have it on platforms kids have so I imagine Switch as lead platform and PS4 so it gets PlayStation representation (kids generally aren't the ones with PS5s)

Definitely will be interesting to see if we see a Summer Games Festival announcement or if this waits until Tokyo Games Show. They'll want to have it on platforms kids have so I imagine Switch as lead platform and PS4 so it gets PlayStation representation (kids generally aren't the ones with PS5s)
Those are all sensible, rational and financially sound reasons to have the Switch as the lead platform but I still don't expect it 😅

In all seriousness though Square Enix is better about this than some other publishers *cough* Bandai Namco *cough*.

When the FFIX animation was announced last year the press release said the target audience was 8-13 year old kids. So putting the FFIX remake on the Switch makes sense... but let's wait and see lol. 😉

13-18 demographic on PS4 is almost as big 19-24. Playstation is the number 1 platform for Fortnite by far, so there is definitely a big kid audience there.

13-18 demographic on PS4 is almost as big 19-24. Playstation is the number 1 platform for Fortnite by far, so there is definitely a big kid audience there.
In Japan?
So what do you think happened with Demon Slayer The Hinokami Chronicles then? If that demographic is sizable on PS4 why did the game underperform on PS4/5?
I am asking earnestly BTW.

The target audience for this is cartoon is 8 to 13, if it comes with a come I feel it'll be on Switch.

13-18 demographic is almost as much as the 19-24 sounds impressive, but the demographic 13-18 is closest (a bit above) to the 43-48 demographic. According to Sony, 31-36 is their largest demographic (seems about right). Out of the 7 age demographic groups they made, 13-18 was the 5th largest.

Edit: this is from SIE Global Platform Experience Tracker.

Yes, which is why I mentioned PS4 as that would be the PlayStation console that kids would have at the moment. Fortnite sells very well on the Switch as well (less MTX sales than Sony though).

I think Square Enix will hold a FF 35th Presentation, with all the FF stuff supposedly releasing in the next year or so.
Thats also a probably scenario.

But if a FFXVI trailer or FFVIIR2 teaser is/are ready, I can’t Sony don’t wanting on their own conference/state of play.

But hopefully if Square-Enix makes their own presentation, its soon, so they can showcase various projects that have in their pipeline (FFXVI, FFIX remake, FFVIIR2, FFVII mobile based games, FF Tactics remaster, etc).

In Japan?
So what do you think happened with Demon Slayer The Hinokami Chronicles then? If that demographic is sizable on PS4 why did the game underperform on PS4/5?
I am asking earnestly BTW.

Worldwide.

Yes, which is why I mentioned PS4 as that would be the PlayStation console that kids would have at the moment. Fortnite sells very well on the Switch as well (less MTX sales than Sony though).

Fornite revenue was 47% on PS and <7% on SW. Its a different ballpark

Worldwide.

Ok...?
But we were talking about Japan not worldwide,
a potential single player premium RPG not MTX revenue from free-to-play,
and the 8-13 age range not 13-18.
And you brought up PS4 when we were talking about the PS5 not having as many of the 8-13 age range. so I'm not sure how that data is relevant to the discussion at all.

Worldwide.

Revenue isn't a good marker for potential customers unless there's a low max purchase limit. Like FF IX isn't going to have $1000 worth of DLC or battle passes. Player counts or number of paying players work a lot better in this case

It honestly doesn't matter the lead platform, so long as FFIX still hits all the major platforms for it's demo.

It's also a premium product so looking at F2P models doesn't mean much. Something like Minecraft is probably a better point for comparison than something like Fortnite. Or even better really, DQXI.

Ok...?
But we were talking about Japan not worldwide,
a potential single player premium RPG not MTX revenue from free-to-play,
and the 8-13 age range not 13-18.
And you brought up PS4 when we were talking about the PS5 not having as many of the 8-13 age range. so I'm not sure how that data is relevant to the discussion at all.

FF9 is a WW release. Any platform choices will be made by looking at global performance. And I was simply showing that PS4 has a very large kids audience like the SW.

Revenue isn't a good marker for potential customers unless there's a low max purchase limit. Like FF IX isn't going to have $1000 worth of DLC or battle passes. Player counts or number of paying players work a lot better in this case

You can pretty much relate revenue to player count. Per customer spend across platforms is not going to deviate so much to eliminate huge player count differences.

FF9 is a WW release. Any platform choices will be made by looking at global performance. And I was simply showing that PS4 has a very large kids audience like the SW.
FF9 remake is not a confirmed/announced game so it's not confirmed to be WW.
But regardless let's assume it's real and WW. We talk about WW releases in relation to just the Japanese market all the time on this forum so I think you can appreciate the discussion we were having was just about Japan.

The FF cartoon is aimed at a younger age group. There's a little overlap but it is a younger age group.

No one is even saying that this game wouldn't or shouldn't be on PS4 we were just discussing whether it would be on switch.

FF9 remake is not a confirmed/announced game so it's not confirmed to be WW.
But regardless let's assume it's real and WW. We talk about WW releases in relation to just the Japanese market all the time on this forum so I think you can appreciate the discussion we were having was just about Japan.

The FF cartoon is aimed at a younger age group. There's a little overlap but it is a younger age group.

No one is even saying that this game wouldn't or shouldn't be on PS4 we were just discussing whether it would be on switch.

Firstly, the FF audience tends to skew much older and FF9 is an old PS1 game. I would very much doubt the main audience for the game is kids. Secondly, is there anything about the cartoon that suggests its just for children. Cartoons and anime are very popular even among adults.

I believe we already have had this discussion on this board. FF9 has no reason not to be multiplatform, unless its somehow a FF7R level remake (unlikely) or Sony pays for exclusivity.

FF9 had very mature writing. I am playing the game rn and I think the show will have all ages mature writing. You can make a game that has writing for all ages, like BOTW or the Dragon Quest series.

FFIX is very much a throwback, even at the time of release it was trying to evoke a similar sensibility to the SFC games. While this animated project may be targeting kids and teens specifically, I'd expect the game will cast a wider net also trying to appeal to older nostalgic series fans. I agree with the "all ages" approach, which likely comes a lot closer to Zelda or DQ than probably other recent FF releases.

You can pretty much relate revenue to player count. Per customer spend across platforms is not going to deviate so much to eliminate huge player count differences.
It is going to deviate when you are referring to an audience of kids and not excluding the adults.Hence why mobile has a much higher player base but trends much lower in average spent per player.
If your point was accurate, the audience for series like Just Dance or LEGO games would not overwhelmingly be on the Switch.

It is going to deviate when you are referring to an audience of kids and not excluding the adults.Hence why mobile has a much higher player base but trends much lower in average spent per player.
If your point was accurate, the audience for series like Just Dance or LEGO games would not overwhelmingly be on the Switch.

In terms of deviation I mean between consoles. There is deviation but it isn't going to be close to overcoming player numbers.
LEGO SW recently sold best on PS4 in the UK at launch and just like adults kids can also have different interests. For instance, COD is hugely popular among teens and sells most on Playstation.

Sony and Nintendo have already disclosed their player demographics.

_37CD7459_1514_4B60_83C1_A57B30A61099_.png.jpg

nintendo-switch-age-demographics.PNG

FF9 had very mature writing. I am playing the game rn and I think the show will have all ages mature writing. You can make a game that has writing for all ages, like BOTW or the Dragon Quest series.
I hope so, FF9 is my favorite JRPG, but I'm keeping my expectations low. The studio + target demographic are not making me too hopeful.

Firstly, the FF audience tends to skew much older and FF9 is an old PS1 game. I would very much doubt the main audience for the game is kids. Secondly, is there anything about the cartoon that suggests its just for children. Cartoons and anime are very popular even among adults.

I believe we already have had this discussion on this board. FF9 has no reason not to be multiplatform, unless its somehow a FF7R level remake (unlikely) or Sony pays for exclusivity.
Did you not read my original post?
This is based on what is said in thePress release for the animation.

Based on a fan favorite, FINAL FANTASY® IX, will be an adventure animation series primarily aimed at 8-13-year-old kids and family audiences with respect to co-viewing. It will also target and please game players, as the adaptation will maintain the world of the game thanks to the supervision of Square Enix, while incorporating some additional major production and entertainment value.
It would be odd for the animation to be going for a completely different target audience than the game, wouldn't it? It says co-viewing and family audiences too.
A target audience doesn't exclude other ages. So the target age is young but the animation will be appropriate for all ages is what I'm getting here.
It clearly also says the animation is targeting game players too.

Yes, I believe that is correct. The press release for the animation says family audiences and co-viewing. I imagine the remake would be the same.

I’m not really sure I’d say FF IX was that “mature”. I mean comparatively to what the Wests deems “for children” sure. But things like Hell Girl ran in magazine meant for 9-13 year olds there.

Western “Mature” vs Japanese “Mature” are very different. Could be wrong but wasn’t it’s CERO rating for all ages?

I’m not really sure I’d say FF IX was that “mature”. I mean comparatively to what the Wests deems “for children” sure. But things like Hell Girl ran in magazine meant for 9-13 year olds there.

Western “Mature” vs Japanese “Mature” are very different. Could be wrong but wasn’t it’s CERO rating for all ages?
Yeah I agree, it wasn't really that mature, certainly not very dark, apparently elementary school kids are watching Squid Game nowadays and Demon Slayer is popular among all ages in Japan today and that's way more violent lol.

FF9 works well for an all ages story I think, it's just a nice, well paced adventure with cool characters. I could see Vivi being really popular if they nail his depiction in the cartoon.

Yeah, I think tweens could play FF9. It definitely has some very dark stuff (genocide, torture) but the violence is basically Disney level in which there isn't blood or gore but lots of death. As a adult when I first played it, I really enjoyed it as it is "all ages mature writing". (And I beat Ozma, which I'm proud of)

EDIT: PS4 and PS5 Balan Wonderworld are on PS+ Deluxe. Clearly Sony knows value when they see it.

Last edited:
the new loony tunes stuff is more graphic than FF9. it'll be fine. let's not forget that Avatar The Last Airbender targets a similar demographic

Forspoken rated 18 by PEGI. Strong language, violence, use of alcohol and in-game purchases all contributed to the rating.

I read the description and really couldn't find anything that justifies a mature rating. Really weird. Ofc, it will further negatively impact the game's sales potential :/

I read the description and really couldn't find anything that justifies a mature rating. Really weird. Ofc, it will further negatively impact the game's sales potential :/
You mean in Japan or worldwide? In Japan it probably will, overseas it shouldn’t matter

language and probably some instances of blood. given this game is targeting the west, and M/P18 rating won't affect anything

VIIR had to make blood purple to keep its Teen rating, they're really strict about some things and kind of lax on violence and even tone/themes.
Agreed, there’s uneven application from the ESRB, always has been. It’s why I’ve not been a fan of how they generate their ratings for some time now. Despite being appointed by Sega instead of an impartial steering committee, the Videogame Rating Council from the Genesis era had one idea right: ratings should be analyzed by people who understand the impact of the imagery and themes presented, like educators, sociologists and psychologists. Trusting ratings to the common person who self-selects to participate always seemed a bit suspect to me, like getting a jury pool at trial full of people who are eager to see someone punished, even if I understand why it’s been set up that way.

You mean in Japan or worldwide? In Japan it probably will, overseas it shouldn’t matter
It's possible it might get a CERO Z rating, I guess we'll have to see. I can imagine ESRB giving it a M rating. I think overseas an M or an 18 rating won't have much impact on sales since it already seemed to targeting the 18-35 demographic. For the moment, we just have the PEGI rating which covers Europe.

EDIT: ESRB already gave it an M rating. For strong language and violence.

Last edited:
In theory, if the language was the worst thing, PEGI would've given the game a PEGI 16 (see: Bayonetta 2 for example), whereas for sure the ESRB would've given it an M rating due to restriction of the usage of the word Fuck. The in-game purchases lead me to believe that might've been the tipping point on PEGI's side, however. We'll get a better idea once CERO rates it, since this could get either a B or C (12+ or 15+) with the information we have right now. The only way I could see this being given a CERO Z (an actual restricted rating) is if there's a full on morality system, which is what got inFamous series a CERO Z. Given information we have on the violence, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of blood, especially given even ESRB's rating is devoid of this in particular, despite brief mention of it by PEGI (and it's non-red colored blood with whatever there is it seems).

EDIT:

VIIR had to make blood purple to keep its Teen rating, they're really strict about some things and kind of lax on violence and even tone/themes.

This one seemed more CERO related, since I think they were targeting a CERO B (12+) rating originally at worst, but it got booted up to a CERO C, which I've suspected was the Wall Market, despite being careful enough with the dialogue there (Japanese script is a bit more vague on certain scenes, where the English script is less so there). Episode Intermission has a bit of red blood, where the original game had practically none. ESRB absolutely does allow Red blood and one of the notable games how far they can go is Bloodstained (which has a LOT), which passed with a Teen rating here.

Last edited:
I don't think a PEGI 18 will hurt the game much, to be honest. And I trust them more than the ESRB.

The ESRB is in my opinion very inconsistent. Like someone already said, they only seem to care about sex, rude language or mutilation/extreme violence and not so much about tone and themes. Halo Infinite is a great example (T in the US, +16 in Europe). The ESRB age rating for that game was too low, in my opinion.

That rating is a surprise honestly; I suppose the main issue is the game is mixing real world and fantasy so they don't get away with 'Fantasy violence'.

I think the main surprise for me is that the games marketing is not really showing it has mature themes which the descriptions seem to suggest? Doubt it affects its sales but wee bit surprising.

Dragon Quest news... Dragon Quest X Offline and Dragon Quest Treasures releasing this year. DQ Builders on mobile.
Treasures and DQX will release later this year. New trailer for DQ Treasures, with more infos next month.

Horii mentioned that they're "working hard on DQXII". No mention at all of DQIII remake, sounds like it's not coming until next year. Same for Dai.

2022: DQX and Treasures
2023: DQIII and Dai
2024: DQXII?

DQ Builders out on mobile already

Nice to see Builders brand extending to mobile.

I wish Hashimoto a happy retirement. Kingdom Hearts is a big legacy and I'm thankful it exists.

EDIT:

Commemorative illustration by Toshiyuki Itahana (character designer for Final Fantasy IX). FF9 is definitely one of my favorite Final Fantasy games.

Last edited:
Sony has a year to increase that PS5 install base in Japan because right now, Final Fantasy XVI potentially could decline a lot from Final Fantasy XV's sales in Japan as it appears to be a PS5 exclusive. Worldwide, FF16 probably sells more than FF15.

Back
Top Bottom