• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Square Enix output strategy | Discussion thread.

What platforms do you believe Dragon Quest XII will release on?

• Nintendo platform (Switch and/or Switch successor)

Votes: 58 89.2%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • PC

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Xbox (One and/or Series)

Votes: 25 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Says something when one of the most memorable parts of the show was the lack of NEO TWEWY
That helped result in poor sales of the game and it was a moment of pain for fans.
Including me.

wF6uanBePdYdLdkMtteWGL.png
maxresdefault.jpg

It would have been a make or break generation. To see if their suggested angsty tones is what audiences want.

Part of me thinks Dark Souls III outselling both FFXV and DQXI quite handedly with a M rating probably gave Square Enix a hint on the direction they want to take these series. Even if it's the wrong turn FFXIV is there to bankroll every mistake they make.

Yes that's my main issue too. They don't seem to have a very cohesive and clear strategy beyond that.

What's worse is that since they rely so much on their partners, they don't know how to market their games when they are on their own.

One of the weirdest aspects is Square Enix doesn't/can't mention the Switch(/Nintendo) versions of Dragon Quest games. Not sure if that's a SE issue or a Nintendo issue.

One of the weirdest aspects is Square Enix doesn't/can't mention the Switch(/Nintendo) versions of Dragon Quest games. Not sure if that's a SE issue or a Nintendo issue.
That only applies in the West. SE does mention Nintendo versions all the time in Japan.

You are correct, I should have been more specific!
I would assume is a Square thing. In similar cases, with Atlus and Capcom, they talk about their games even though Nintendo is marketing the game.

Edit: Nintendo aren't publishing the game.

Double Edit: with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 both Marvel and Koei talked about the game. Also Koei talked a lot about Age of Calamity as well.

Enix seems like the only company that doesn't include consoles in their design documents since it probably depends on who comes up to them with that checkbook.

I think of the 5 DQ games announced only 1 of them tells you which platform it will be on.

Can we have a discussion about the Enix side of Square Enix as a company? I want to learn more about that company's history as a business, their modus operandi, and how that has impacted Square Enix post-merger. I feel like that's a huge blind spot for a lot of people in the west - most of whom have far more familiarity with Square's history and IPs than Enix's.

Can we have a discussion about the Enix side of Square Enix as a company? I want to learn more about that company's history as a business, their modus operandi, and how that has impacted Square Enix post-merger. I feel like that's a huge blind spot for a lot of people in the west - most of whom have far more familiarity with Square's history and IPs than Enix's.
Sure. Enix was initially a PC publisher that used contests to solicit game devs. Two of their early successes were Door Door, a puzzle chase game by Koichi Nakamura (founder of Chunsoft), and The Portopia Serial Murder Incident, a very influencial adventure game by Yuji Horii. (Info paraphrased from Chris Kohler's book on Final Fantasy V). Both games were ported to Famicom in 1985, and Nakamura and Horii would team up for their first original Famicom game, Dragon Quest. Enix was geared more like a publisher, and did not develop games like Squaresoft did.

(I know more about Enix during Famicom, Super Famicom and Nintendo 64 eras. I don't really know much about their PlayStation output or PS2 output).

Fun fact, despite coming to prominence because of FF Remakes(and 4HOL/Bravely Default) Team Asano actually comes from the Enix side of the business. That's why all of their games are worked on by external developers, the way Enix has always operated.

Is there a reason why Square enix refuses to port its games to the switch? Something like NieR Automata can be easily playable with optimization + compression in order to put it in a cartridge.

Honestly, expecting more than we get from Square Enix on Switch ain't a great idea.
If they're as in the loop as others on what hardware is coming next, though? I'd say any twinge of interest in Switch immediately evaporated and any unannounced aspirations for their software on Nintendo hardware is not aimed at the current Nintendo hardware.

Honestly, expecting more than we get from Square Enix on Switch ain't a great idea.
If they're as in the loop as others on what hardware is coming next, though? I'd say any twinge of interest in Switch immediately evaporated and any unannounced aspirations for their software on Nintendo hardware is not aimed at the current Nintendo hardware.
I'm inclined to agree with this. If the rumors of certain publishers receiving devkits for a 4K capable Switch in 2020 are true, I'd imagine Square Enix being one of them since they have been more or less a reliable supporter of Nintendo handhelds for the last 20 years. It would explain why they haven't been forthcoming in plans to put some of their games on a Nintendo platform when that would be the patently obvious choice.

As said in the OP, I think it's reasonable to expect a wave of Square Enix Europe published ports from the Seventh Generation of gaming (PS3/Xbox 360/Wii) based on the announcement of the Lara Croft spinoff games being ported to Switch.

Last edited:
I'm inclined to agree with this. If the rumors of certain publishers receiving devkits for a 4K capable Switch in 2020 are true, I'd imagine Square Enix being one of them since they have been more or less a reliable supporter of Nintendo handhelds for the last 20 years. It would explain why they haven't been forthcoming in plans to put some of their games on a Nintendo platform when that would be the patently obvious choice.

As said in the OP, I think it's reasonable to expect a wave of Square Enix Europe published ports from the Seventh Generation of gaming (PS3/Xbox 360/Wii) based on the announcement of the Lara Croft spinoff games being ported to Switch.
It'd explain why a LOT of them aren't forthcoming with news about releases on a Nintendo platform, but that's outside the scope of the thread.

But the question remains what their plans could possibly be and where a "Switch DX" or whatever you wanna call it fits into their bigger picture, and there's a lot to discuss there.

Especially with SQE taking money left and right for exclusivity. I haven't 100% decided if that's them willingly being used as a pawn in the struggle of platform advantage for a quick buck or it's them using the platform holders' anxieties about their future market position to squeeze the maximum amount of pennies and yen from them in the process. From our perspective as software buyers, the result is the same, but I imagine the intent changes how their strategies will formulate moving forward (and probably how much money they hold out for in the case of the latter of those 2 scenarios).
I know i'm in the minority, but i don't really have a preference for settings or combat styles. One of my favorite things about FF is the creative freedom they give, i know that the reason the settings and battle systems are the way they are is because that's what the dev team wanted to do. I think it would bother me alot more if this was all coming from a centralized creative producer going over mountains of focus testing data and dictating what their teams can do (aka Ubisoft).

It can be frustrating when they stray from a proven model, but if they kept with what worked we never would have gotten FF7, we'd never have gotten gambits, paradigm shifts, open worlds, or hybrid ATB systems.
I have a hard time imagining that FFXV wasn't extensively focus tested. I'd like to enter Exhibit A into evidence:
44DD8A9793F2E57B8CF050A028543CDE1568E654

(I originally posted this bit in the wrong thread because I has the insomnia, whoops!)

And I think there's a a lot of people who see a huge difference between the changes to the series with FF7 (unless you meant the remake) and Paradigm shifts or the newer hybrid ATB systems, which could be considered evidentiary support for the not-so-slow slide into an entirely new genre, away from what people associate with a numbered FF single-player title.
I remember the moment it stood out to me the most was when XIII was ranking my battle prowess like I was playing an action game from Hideki Kamiya.
And hey, if action-RPG Final Fantasy is your jam, so be it, but it's far harder to say it isn't well beyond what people used to expect from Final Fantasy and there's surely enough people who agree, considering how the series is so often cited as in decline in Japan.

Last edited:
FF14 is a PS3 game. They could make it run on Switch if they wanted. I think the bigger problem would be file size and crossplay.

(Yes, I know it's no longer ON PS3, but you get what I mean.)
I think they could look into a cloud version of FFXIV I mean an internet connection is already required for the game to begin with at the very least.

A big reason why the PS3 version was killed was due to the hardware actually holding the game back. YoshiP mention that things like area size, mount speed, and inventory slots couldn't be increase due to the PS3 version and once the servers were turned for the PS3 and Stormblood launched, both mount speed and inventory were increase and the new areas Stormblood added were noticably bigger than past areas. So I can see why a Switch port would make them worry about the limitations it would bring on to the game.

Previous and current gen games can take between +3-5 years to be made, depending on how many assets you can reuse from previous entries (example: its not the same a straight sequel than a new IP).

Square-Enix japanese side has 3 mayor IPs: Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest. Recently, Nier series has got a lot of attention thanks to Automata big success, so one can say that it is their fourth mayor IP. Lets talk about the main games from each IP:

- We know that Final Fantasy XVI is coming to PS5. IIRC its made by FFXIV team (right?) and I think its still on track to be released next FY, possible late march 2023. We also know the second part of FFVII Remake is coming someday, 6 months ago we got PS5 port of Part 1. Considering the reuse of assets, I hope Part 2 is ready for mid 2024.
- Next year is KH 20th anniversary and its almost sure that the next game will be announced sometime on 2022. Hopefully that game comes by late 2023, thats almost 4 years later than when they finished KH3 DLC. I don’t have been following KH story until the end so don’t where the IP can go (regarding story).
- We know DQXII is coming, wouldn’t be strange that is a late 2024 release, 5 years later than DQXI S.
- I feel that Nier 3 will be made in-house like Replicant, so we are talking about a 2025 release. Of course it will be full next-gen and with Platinium help.

On other points:
- I’m sure they will continue with re-releasing their old catalog like more PS1 remasters (Chrono Cross, FFTactics, Tactics Ogre are confirmed for next years, wouldn’t surprise me if titles like SaGa Frontier 2, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile or Parasite Eve will join soon).
- new Mana and SaGa entries will likely happen.
- New collaborations like the ones we are seeing; Team Ninja (FF Origin), Platinium (Babylon’s Fall), Tri-Ace (Star Ocean 6), Asano (Octopath, Triangle Strategy, DQ3 HD-2D), etc. They recently make a deal with Forever Entertainment to make more remakes.

So I think that in the next 4 FYs they want to output new entries of each of their biggest IPs (2022/23: FFXVI, 2023/24: KH4, 2024/25: FFVIIR2, DQ12, FY2025/26: Nier 3) with re-releases, collaborations, remakes, ports, small-mid size projects, etc.

Still, DQX Offline promo is leading with PS for some reason?
Not really, what happened was Sony paid them for an 2 exclusive vehicle skins (one for normal and one for deluxe editions)

medaprism.jpg

And a 20 minute promotional interview video (made by Sony) with a couple minutes of gameplay by Hajime-Shacho that's exclusive to the PlayStation Japan YouTube channel (It actually hasn't got all that many views).

So far that's it, maybe they will get a bit more, but aside from that everything so far has been equal. SE hasn't really started promotion of DQXOffline yet.

I wonder if there's a space for an exclusive / Switch-focused Kingdom Hearts project in the future, just like how it happened in the DS/3DS. Melody of Memories was kinda that, in a way.

I wonder if there's a space for an exclusive / Switch-focused Kingdom Hearts project in the future, just like how it happened in the DS/3DS. Melody of Memories was kinda that, in a way.
It would be one of their safer investments. Japanese developers like to wax lyrical about seeing the hardware then coming up with the game concept that matches it but as leaks prove its all about cold hard cash at the end of the day and FFXIV allows Square Enix room to greenlight only the biggest games and tax write offs like Balan Wonderworld and CHAOS. Every now and then a fan favorite might slip through the cracks with this business model but they'll make sure not to promote it so it can die on the vine.

yo, Tokyo RPG Factory....

you alive?

after a trio of duds, I can't imagine they'd be. maybe they get one more game out before closing shop

I feel like they've exhausted the spin-off route of KH. What they need now is reboot of the series, which I can't see starting on Switch.

Asano is going to lead them to victory.

For real, putting Asano as their supervisor would be great.

Takashi Tokita was producer on Oninaki so maybe it's time he and Asano reunited.(he was credited under Team Asano in Bravely Default 2)

It would actually make sense though. Tokyo RPG Factory is trying to do the exact same thing Team Asano has been doing, and they have inhouse development capabilities which Team Asano lacks.

Takashi Tokita was producer on Oninaki so maybe it's time he and Asano reunited.(he was credited under Team Asano in Bravely Default 2)

It would actually make sense though. Tokyo RPG Factory is trying to do the exact same thing Team Asano has been doing, and they have inhouse development capabilities which Team Asano lacks.
They have what each other don't.

I mean Asano came from the Enix side of the merger and operates the same way he did before, by working with external developers. I wonder if he'd want to assume responsibility for Tokyo RPG Factory at this point.

I mean Asano came from the Enix side of the merger and operates the same way he did before, by working with external developers. I wonder if he'd want to assume responsibility for Tokyo RPG Factory at this point.
That could be the case, but what Oregano and I have said doesn't mean it's bad. If, anything, Asano can give TRF consistency, which is what they had been lacking. They have a good foundation, but Asano can really give them a good direction.

He wouldn't necessarily have to formally take over. Just basically treat them as the external developer they would normally hire.

That could be the case, but what Oregano and I have said doesn't mean it's bad. If, anything, Asano can give TRF consistency, which is what they had been lacking. They have a good foundation, but Asano can really give them a good direction.
He wouldn't necessarily have to formally take over. Just basically treat them as the external developer they would normally hire.
I guess it would depend on if he can work it out that way. Giving them direction as if they are another external team but not assuming responsibility of what might happen if they fail again.

Is there a reason why Square enix refuses to port its games to the switch? Something like NieR Automata can be easily playable with optimization + compression in order to put it in a cartridge.
NieR Automata had performance issues on base PS4 hardware with framedrops as it targetted 60 fps. https://www.pushsquare.com/news/201...me_performance_issues_on_both_ps4_and_ps4_pro

Even if they decided to target 30 fps for the Switch, it's possible that Automata wouldn't run well on the Switch which is significantly less powerful than a PS4. Dane would be a better fit for Automata especially with DLSS allowing it to punch above its weight. And it's possible Square Enix has very ambitious plans for the NieR brand and Nintendo would not be the right fit for it.

I also disagree with the notion that Square Enix refuses to port to the Switch when they've ported quite a few titles to the Switch already.

Asano and Tokyo RPG Factory would make for an interesting team but I wonder even if informally, Asano wants the responsibility of guiding them through the process of making one of his games. Budgetwise, Asano could definitely make it work and Tokyo RPG Factory making a HD-2D game with Asano might finally give them the direction and support they need to make a breakthrough game. Making a purely turn based game would be new for Tokyo RPG Factory though since their games used ATB (I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear) or were action RPGs (Oninaki).

NieR Automata had performance issues on base PS4 hardware with framedrops as it targetted 60 fps.
That's not really an excuse these days. DBZ Kakarot ran like ass on PS4 but somehow runs great on Switch. DOOM Eternal has more going on but port happened. It's certainly possible.

Asano and Tokyo RPG Factory would make for an interesting team but I wonder even if informally, Asano wants the responsibility of guiding them through the process of making one of his games. Budgetwise, Asano could definitely make it work and Tokyo RPG Factory making a HD-2D game with Asano might finally give them the direction and support they need to make a breakthrough game. Making a purely turn based game would be new for Tokyo RPG Factory though since their games used ATB (I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear) or were action RPGs (Oninaki).
Hasn’t he already had to guide Acquire through Octopath Traveler and Artdink through Triangle Strategy?

SE doesn’t care much about frame rate issues and Platinum said they would/could port it. The reason it’s not on Switch is because someone at SE didn’t want to pay to have it done, the end.

Dragon Quest X Offline Delayed to Summer 2022.

Square Enix still has quite a few releases before the end of their FY which would be the end of March 2022. It will be interesting to see if DQX Offline gets a release in the West (so far, no indication of such plans)

Is it really covid or a convenient excuse for "there aren't enough PS5's on the market"?
Unfortunately, there is no way for us to know, so we can only take these reasons at face value. I'd certainly agree that some big publishers may have found a convenient excuse in covid, but without a way to gain insight, it'd be unfair to express any tangible doubt. The pandemic sucks and it sucks for everyone, so chances are Square Enix isn't making anything up.

Back
Top Bottom