• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Square Enix output strategy | Discussion thread.

What platforms do you believe Dragon Quest XII will release on?

• Nintendo platform (Switch and/or Switch successor)

Votes: 58 89.2%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • PC

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Xbox (One and/or Series)

Votes: 25 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A VR game not reviewing well doesn't mean much. Sony will pay for content on PSVR2 from Square Enix just like they did before.
But I would presume Sony might want to spend money on good VR games consumers actually like, instead of ones they don't. They'll still likely try to get something from Square, but considering their track record with VR it might be better for them to simply get Square to outsource their IP to a more skilled VR dev. Does Sony really want to spend a bunch of money on a fancy Square VR game if it isn't good and nobody buys it?

Have SE make a VR-game based on what was seen during a recent Italian government conference and it'll surely be a success ;>

But I would presume Sony might want to spend money on good VR games consumers actually like, instead of ones they don't. They'll still likely try to get something from Square, but considering their track record with VR it might be better for them to simply get Square to outsource their IP to a more skilled VR dev. Does Sony really want to spend a bunch of money on a fancy Square VR game if it isn't good and nobody buys it?
VR is still pretty niche overall, even if it's growing the amount of skilled developers in this space is extremely limited. I don't think Sony will really have much of a say in how Square Enix will actually develop for it either. It will depend on what Sony negotiates for, but S-E will still put together the team to develop the project based on their own resources. So whether or not it even ends up being a fancy project at all is up in the air, but I have no doubt S-E will produce something.

VR is still pretty niche overall, even if it's growing the amount of skilled developers in this space is extremely limited. I don't think Sony will really have much of a say in how Square Enix will actually develop for it either. It will depend on what Sony negotiates for, but S-E will still put together the team to develop the project based on their own resources. So whether or not it even ends up being a fancy project at all is up in the air, but I have no doubt S-E will produce something.
I agree, but it is hard to know what resources Sony will dedicate to PSVR2 games and they might have to be resourceful instead of just spending on a bunch of games, especially since PSVR2 games are likely to be very expensive and I am not sure if Square has the skills to make big fancy VR games internally.

With Sora on Smash and the recent cloud releases, I think there's a good chance of them announcing a Switch game in their anniversary event.

Seems weird that Switch didn't get a new KH yet considering the history of the franchise on Nintendo platforms (Chain of Memories GBA, 358/2 Days NDS, Dream Drop Distance 3DS).

With Sora on Smash and the recent cloud releases, I think there's a good chance of them announcing a Switch game in their anniversary event.

Seems weird that Switch didn't get a new KH yet considering the history of the franchise on Nintendo platforms (Chain of Memories GBA, 358/2 Days NDS, Dream Drop Distance 3DS).

kingdom-hearts-melody-of-memory-3d-nintendo-switch-pegi.png

358/2 Days and Recoded were by h.a.n.d. who just put out NEO TWEWY, Dream Drop Distance was by the team that now does the main games. Jupiter just does Picross - saying that I could go for some Kingdom Hearts Picross

Its likely nintendo pushed for a kingdom hearts game 2 times:

1) Somewhere on 2018 (probably early): After Switch initial succes, Nintendo pushed for a KH3 port, Square refused because of technical issues and offered the idea of a KH spin-off.
2) Early 2021: After initial sales of KH MoM, they went for the mainline games but square again refused (or probably ask Nintendo to moneyhat all ports) and they went for cloud versions.

At least they got the rights to make a collaboration for Smash Ultimate (that’s something really remarkable). If next KH is not Sony (console) exclusive, it can happen that they port all collections and III to next Switch HW.

I edited but basically there's no devs for it nowadays. Melody of Memories was the first game Indieszero worked on for PS/XB as well.

Maybe they'll hire some new dev team to help them (or expand their own to deal with a Switch game).

I was just checking KH news since I forgot about it, and apparently they teased 2 new projects in 2020, so we'll see.

Just hope we don't have to wait too long for KH4.

Kingdom Hearts itself is just such an oddball in terms of platforms. It has had GBA, DS, 3DS, and PSP games all of which are canon and important to the mainline console games. Not to mention mobile games as well and all the different collections that exist. Kingdom Hearts III got a day one release on both consoles, a late PC port for EGS, and now a cloud version on Switch. I honestly think it is possible they would release a Switch exclusive game canon to the rest of the franchise and yet not release native ports of the actual Kingdom Hearts games onto Switch.

I'm on the side who thinks SE output is pretty mediocre. But it's about my own tastes and wishes.
Although it could also be a lot worse.

What I like from them is quality remasters of Saga titles for example. Not only they are nicely made but also release on a good amount of platform including the Switch, which is the only way I can game since a few years.

But the budget and/or ideas are really not so good overall. It's pretty mixed. I don't see original or rare(r) gameplay ideas for example.

And the only game that has that is not even developed by them, Octopath Traveler.
I liked that it tried something new not only visually but in its structure as well.

If Chrono Cross is really happening AND well done, it would be another good step.
Almost all their focus is on more realistic games I have no interest in, I'd be happy if they could put a little bit more effort into new styles and ideas or at least bring back games that are not just FF (which they can't even being back that well already).
Even DQ is having a hard time seeing any "new" release.

I'm not even gonna try to say anything about Star Ocean, Nier or KH...

When it comes to the western side, I'm quite surprised seeing Life is Strange.
And as it seems to be well done, I can only salute the initiative.

I've heard Switch port of True Colors is amazing so Switch delay isn't bad per se.

Imagine bringing a remaster of an old game to a five-year-old platform that you'd rather postpone so that the Google Stadia version is released on time.

Who says they are the same developers?

It is about setting priorities.

What priorities? Porting something for Switch can take longer than the other platforms due to the different architecture while PS/XB/PC/Stadia is a more straightforward process. Implying SE prioritized Stadia over Switch makes no sense.

What priorities? Porting something for Switch can take longer than the other platforms due to the different architecture while PS/XB/PC/Stadia is a more straightforward process. Implying SE prioritized Stadia over Switch makes no sense.
You want to tell me that after 5 years of existing consoles there are still problems porting games?

I think one has had enough time to deal with the problem, others can do it too.

Who says they are the same developers?

It is about setting priorities.
It seems to treat Nintendo likewise as a second-class citizen, always postponing the Switch version. It´s not a good police when u need to have good sales on the platform.

You want to tell me that after 5 years of existing consoles there are still problems porting games?

I think we're bordering on lazy dev rhetoric here

That’s not how any of this works. Game dev is extremely complex especially for a multi-platform release, and especially considering the different accommodations that have to be made specifically for Switch.

Every LiS game is on Switch and the remasters will be as well. Unfortunately the devs missed a deadline, that’s it. Unless you think they’re delaying the game just to spite Nintendo or something.

That’s not how any of this works. Game dev is extremely complex especially for a multi-platform release, and especially considering the different accommodations that have to be made specifically for Switch.

Every LiS game is on Switch and the remasters will be as well. Unfortunately the devs missed a deadline, that’s it. Unless you think they’re delaying the game just to spite Nintendo or something.
Why delay and launch all versions alltogether?

Only True Colours is at the moment. The remasters are the first time the older games will be released on Switch, despite getting mobile versions during the lifetime of the platform. Just wanted to clarify that.

The delay is a bit whatever, but it is a bit odd when we're talking about slightly suped up versions of games that should have no problem being ported to Switch.

CPU limitation and Memory Bandwidth issues tend to complicate problems for Switch development the most, resulting in having to develop work arounds to deal with it. That's why sometimes ports can be delayed a bit, despite being announced alongside the main stuff.

Only True Colours is at the moment. The remasters are the first time the older games will be released on Switch, despite getting mobile versions during the lifetime of the platform. Just wanted to clarify that.

The delay is a bit whatever, but it is a bit odd when we're talking about slightly suped up versions of games that should have no problem being ported to Switch.
Really? I could’ve sworn they were already there. Still, the commitment to a full blown native port that properly is a good thing. I don’t think bias or reluctance is a factor here.

LiS is far from the only game that's had its switch port delayed compared to the PS/Xbox/PC version.
Dark Souls Remastered springs to mind. Which then tanked anyway on the X86 platforms as interest metrics and purchase intent so heavily favored Switch, then kinda tanked again on Switch after the delay and people lost interest all together. Even more hilarious given Bamco had a promo-deal with Nintendo for it.

I would have thought the same, but this is the second announced delay for that game. It was supposed to be out on Xbox and PlayStation last year then was delayed to February, so it’s definitely more work than they expected even on beefier consoles.

Yasunori Mitsuda expects that a project he's been working on will be announced in February. Could be the Chrono Cross remake or remaster, could be something for Monolith Soft like Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

Final Fantasy Origins: Stranger of Paradise definitely still feels like it will be a meme game. Never thought I'd hear Sinatra's version of "My Way" in a trailer for a Final Fantasy game.

Final Fantasy Origins: Stranger of Paradise definitely still feels like it will be a meme game. Never thought I'd hear Sinatra's version of "My Way" in a trailer for a Final Fantasy game.

I kinda thought it was an inspired choice, considering what the game is.

If anything, on top of the solid gameplay of the demo, I think this is just what the doctor ordered. Sonic Adventure-level earnestness about what is decidedly going to be a preposterously-written story.

More Final Fantasy VII projects coming in the future. (January 31 is the 25th anniversary of FF7 release in Japan)

Square Enix shows off new Final Fantasy VII 25th anniversary logos. (Crisis Core probably should get a Switch port of some kind)

Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 reveal for this year probably puts that as a PS5/PS4 SKU for next year.

There’s no chance of this game coming to PS4.

Not directed toward you, but I really don’t understand why people struggle to accept that big publishers are going to move away from PS4 at some point. Especially when it comes to Square, who seemed to commit even faster than other major third party publishers. And by the time FF7R2 actually gets here, we’ll be 2.5-3 years into the generation.

FF7RI, Forspoken, and FFXVI are all PS5 exclusives. And FF7R2 will be, too.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 reveal for this year probably puts that as a PS5/PS4 SKU for next year.

No shot Part 2 comes out on PS4 unless they also decide to back-port the Intermission Yuffie DLC. Does anyone actually think Square will allow consumers to play a version of Part 1 and then go straight into Part 2 (that will presumably include Yuffie) without the part of the game that introduces her?

Not to mention Part 1 had a fair number of graphical problems (textures, especially) in its PS4 iteration. If the game world is even bigger in Part 2, I just can't picture it.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 being announced this year doesn’t mean it will release soon.

It can just be a teaser and thats it.

This is a 2024 title at minimum.

There’s no chance of this game coming to PS4.

Not directed toward you, but I really don’t understand why people struggle to accept that big publishers are going to move away from PS4 at some point. Especially when it comes to Square, who seemed to commit even faster than other major third party publishers. And by the time FF7R2 actually gets here, we’ll be 2.5-3 years into the generation.

FF7RI, Forspoken, and FFXVI are all PS5 exclusives. And FF7R2 will be, too.

I have no doubt a PS5 exclusive would have no issues with sales in North America and Europe but Japan is definitely a whole other story. Forspoken is looking like a bomba. Final Fantasy XVI being a PS5 exclusive is an assumption, one that might be borne out. If XVI is an exclusive then I'd bet FF7R2 would be one too since I see FF16 being released first.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 being announced this year doesn’t mean it will release soon.

It can just be a teaser and thats it.

This is a 2024 title at minimum.
2024 is definitely possible with the pandemic, but if they release FF16 this year, they'll probably release FF7R2 sometime next year. 2024 is more likely if FF16 releases in 2023. Somehow I think this will be a summer reveal.

I expect FF7 Episode 2 to be SE's first UE5 game

Was the first one in UE4? UE5 probably makes it solidly PS5 only given that Square Enix will want to use the UE5 high end features for it.

EDIT: Dragon Quest XII is an UE5 game.

Japan or not FF7 Part 2 being on PS4 sounds crazy to me. The first part was one of the most visibly constrained by it's platform games I've played in a long time. I can't imagine the team wants to go through that again, especially not if this is releasing in 2024.

Was the first one in UE4? UE5 probably makes it solidly PS5 only given that Square Enix will want to use the UE5 high end features for it.

EDIT: Dragon Quest XII is an UE5 game.
UE5 runs on PS4 too. But I think they'll go full PS5 exclusive (and pc)

As for DQ12, I honestly think FF7-2 is coming before that

I have no doubt a PS5 exclusive would have no issues with sales in North America and Europe but Japan is definitely a whole other story. Forspoken is looking like a bomba. Final Fantasy XVI being a PS5 exclusive is an assumption, one that might be borne out. If XVI is an exclusive then I'd bet FF7R2 would be one too since I see FF16 being released first.
They’ve repeatedly said that the game is coming to PS5 and there’s really nothing to suggest that they’re going back on that. Even with the delay announcement, they specified that the game is being developed “for PlayStation 5.”

And at this point I don’t think a PS4 SKU would do anything to reverse the decline in Japan. Software sales have already fallen so hard making it crossgen would just be counterintuitive.

UE5 runs on PS4 too. But I think they'll go full PS5 exclusive (and pc)

As for DQ12, I honestly think FF7-2 is coming before that
Do you think it’s possible that DQXII launches on PS5/next-gen Nintendo simultaneously? I just can’t shake the feeling that the game is YEARS away

Do you think it’s possible that DQXII launches on PS5/next-gen Nintendo simultaneously? I just can’t shake the feeling that the game is YEARS away
There's at least partial evidence to suggest it's possible, even a bit likely. Hardware speculation says that the next Nintendo hardware might achieve the lower end of the fancier UE5 features (Nanite and Lumen). Meanwhile, they announced that DQXII has 2 dev teams on board (HexaDrive and Orca), and the last time a single-player DQ game had more than one dev on it (which was also the first time that happened), it also had more than one SKU.

Back
Top Bottom