• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Square Enix output strategy | Discussion thread.

What platforms do you believe Dragon Quest XII will release on?

• Nintendo platform (Switch and/or Switch successor)

Votes: 58 89.2%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • PC

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Xbox (One and/or Series)

Votes: 25 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is also possible that Square Enix realized that their PS exclusive is a road to nowhere at this point.

I find it more fascinating that FF7R P2 is only 3 month exclusivity. Even less than FF16.
You don't have to pay for the entire 6 months exclusivity if you get bonus time for free.

It is also possible that Square Enix realized that their PS exclusive is a road to nowhere at this point.

I find it more fascinating that FF7R P2 is only 3 month exclusivity. Even less than FF16.
The exclusivity strategy has been one of many reasons why they are unable to capitalize on the huge gaming market.
Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Soul's games proved that a multiplatform strategy is the best course of action for increasing their respective game sales.

They squandered a lot of sales potential with timed exclusives and then butchered their PC sales with EGS exclusivity for the FF7R, and it seems they are about to repeat the same mistake again with the FFXVI.

I'd like to highlight the outcome of the two most hyped remakes from two companies with different sales strategies.

Final Fantasy VII Remake + Intergrade = 7 million units​

Resident evil 2 Remake = 13.1 million units​

Last edited:
As someone who mostly games on Xbox, what I’m still most perplexed by is why SE has kneecapped their entire PC potential. The only third-party publisher that could get away with withholding PC releases with no financial consequence is Rockstar, and SE is definitely not making anything that approaches the cultural status of GTA.

Makes no sense.

Last edited:

Sony clearly paid wildly less just based on how much demonstrable advertising we saw. FF16 was in tons of Sony trailers and events, while Rebirth debuted in a non-Sony streaming event and has barely had a presence in Sony events.

I imagine that neither party is as interested in accepting a expensive/long deal than they were 3 or 4 years ago.

As someone who mostly games on Xbox, what I’m still most perplexed by is why SE has kneecapped their entire PC potential. The only third-party publisher that could get away with withholding PC releases with no financial consequence is Rockstar, and SE is definitely not making anything that approaches the cultural status of GTA.

Makes no sense.

What is your estimate on how much Sony's marketing is worth, vs. how many LTD sales are lost by having a staggered release? The two companies that actually have this kind of information and estimate disagree with people here that don't have relevant information. It is easy to say "makes no sense" when we are just totally out of the loop on the actual financial decisions being made.

The exclusivity strategy has been one of many reasons why they are unable to capitalize on the huge gaming market.
Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Soul's games proved that a multiplatform strategy is the best course of action for increasing their respective game sales.

They squandered a lot of sales potential with timed exclusives and then butchered their PC sales with EGS exclusivity for the FF7R, and it seems they are about to repeat the same mistake again with the FFXVI.

I'd like to highlight the outcome of the two most hyped remakes from two companies with different sales strategies.

Final Fantasy VII Remake + Intergrade = 7 million units​

Resident evil 2 Remake = 13.1 million units​

Also helps to sell the games for a fraction of the price. I doubt the gross revenue of the games is honestly all that different between the two games based on how much steeper RE2R goes on sale. The regular sales price in dollars is 70% lower than FF7R's sales price, and it is even more extreme with RE2R being in even cheaper bundles.

Everything you type is probably way less significant than an argument that is just "RE2R is 70% cheaper". If Square Enix wants to sell more copies of 7, they should lower the price a ton. If they want to maximize revenue... who the fuck knows.

Last edited:

I agree. That is such a small exclusivity window, especially considering FF16, as you note, and especially considering the FF7R P1 exclusivity window. Maybe P1 was a development thing and the time to port P2 is much smaller.

Sometimes it can simply be explained by producers wanting to push the franchise forward and having no Nintendo consoles at the time of that decision being a fit for that ambition. I would bet that's what happened there. Whether they should have even started scoping a Mana game without Nintendo in mind is a question worth asking but the choice has been made.
Even simpler than that, I think when plan were being made for the game 3-4 years ago they must have thought that a new Nintendo console would be out by March 2024, seven years after the Switch.
Turns out the gap will be closer to 8 years, making it the third longest beside the Gameboy and the 360.

I have no doubt it will be ported in a reasonable timeframe.

I'm hoping to see Xbox versions this year of both games. I thought we'd have seen an xbox version of FF7R1 but was surprised to have not
I think a lot of interesting things had transpired with FF7R Part 1 as it had epic exclusivity, normal PS4 release, Intergrade release, PS+ release etc. I guess Square Enix wanted to see FF16 performance before deciding whether to go to other platforms or not.

The hilarious part is that the saving grace of FF IP is that there are no other big fantasy movie-like JRPGs on the market. Otherwise some other IP would have taken over. It is also possible that such games are crazy expensive to make too.

As someone who mostly games on Xbox, what I’m still most perplexed by is why SE has kneecapped their entire PC potential
I think we can partially blame Epic for that - I think FF7R became a victim of that period when SE was accepting money from Epic and thus we got KH EGS exclusive (I am not even sure if it on Steam or not at this point) and stuff like that. At that time Epic was throwing money around to promote their store. Though I believe the better strategy for Epic on PC is to sell Deluxe/Bonus editions for the price of normal ones or throw some bonus to each copy (like they have done with Alan Wake where you could get Remastered version for free), while also allowing games to be released on Steam. Because with AW2 they basically destroyed game's potential on PC by making it EGS exclusive.

Sony clearly paid wildly less just based on how much demonstrable advertising we saw. FF16 was in tons of Sony trailers and events, while Rebirth debuted in a non-Sony streaming event and has barely had a presence in Sony events.
Yeah, I was surprised how little marketing did FF7R P2 have. Like it was not even shown during PS showcase while it was shown during Summer Game Fest. And then it seems like it is promoted on various third party events or something (or independent events). Maybe they will do something closer to the launch.

What is your estimate on how much Sony's marketing is worth, vs. how many LTD sales are lost by having a staggered release? The two companies that actually have this kind of information and estimate disagree with people here that don't have relevant information. It is easy to say "makes no sense" when we are just totally out of the loop on the actual financial decisions being made.
I am pretty sure Sony's marketing money was not that big. Let's be real - the biggest gaming community that plays FF games (due to Square Enix to be honest) is on Playstation anyway. So Sony did not need to pay a lot to skip PC and Xbox releases. And with marketing...To whom exactly Sony was promoting the game? Their consoles sell well anyway (and then people play COD and FIFA, which is a separate problem by itself) and thus it wouldn't have moved the needle for people who wanted to buy Playstation console anyway and due to Square Enix's hubris they had been eroding FF (and some IPs) community on any other platform aside Playstation, thus essentially Sony was promoting the game to the people who would have bought FF16 (or any other FF game) anyway. Add to that, their PC exclusion meant that people who played FF14 on PC (and PC market is enormous) could not play the game and wouldn't have bought the console for the game anyway (at least not many of them).

Essentially Sony benefitted more from this deal than Square Enix, but even then I doubt there were that many benefits.

If post FF15, Square Enix embraced multiplatform releases, FF IP would be much more bigger. And by going EGS exclusive, Square Enix was able to damage the potential of FF7R too.

Maybe P1 was a development thing and the time to port P2 is much smaller.
I think FF7R situation is a little bit unique as not only the development time has become longer, it has also become much more expensive to develop games like this while also the game being one of those cases where you cannot capitalize on bonus content or addons. It also stacks with the fact the game is a partial release anyway - as FF7R Part 2 already prevents some people from buying the game as some people would think that they need to buy the first to understand the story (it is true), and that's why SE is trying to throw P1 together with P2. I have for example bought the game on Steam last year, but have no play to buy P2 until P3 is released as there is no point in doing that and there are other games I can buy and play. Maybe for P3, Square Enix will add P1/P2 together.

FF has something crossmedia potential but even there is not doing that hot there either.

I think a lot of interesting things had transpired with FF7R Part 1 as it had epic exclusivity, normal PS4 release, Intergrade release, PS+ release etc. I guess Square Enix wanted to see FF16 performance before deciding whether to go to other platforms or not.

The hilarious part is that the saving grace of FF IP is that there are no other big fantasy movie-like JRPGs on the market. Otherwise some other IP would have taken over. It is also possible that such games are crazy expensive to make too.

I think we can partially blame Epic for that - I think FF7R became a victim of that period when SE was accepting money from Epic and thus we got KH EGS exclusive (I am not even sure if it on Steam or not at this point) and stuff like that. At that time Epic was throwing money around to promote their store. Though I believe the better strategy for Epic on PC is to sell Deluxe/Bonus editions for the price of normal ones or throw some bonus to each copy (like they have done with Alan Wake where you could get Remastered version for free), while also allowing games to be released on Steam. Because with AW2 they basically destroyed game's potential on PC by making it EGS exclusive.

Yeah, I was surprised how little marketing did FF7R P2 have. Like it was not even shown during PS showcase while it was shown during Summer Game Fest. And then it seems like it is promoted on various third party events or something (or independent events). Maybe they will do something closer to the launch.

I am pretty sure Sony's marketing money was not that big. Let's be real - the biggest gaming community that plays FF games (due to Square Enix to be honest) is on Playstation anyway. So Sony did not need to pay a lot to skip PC and Xbox releases. And with marketing...To whom exactly Sony was promoting the game? Their consoles sell well anyway (and then people play COD and FIFA, which is a separate problem by itself) and thus it wouldn't have moved the needle for people who wanted to buy Playstation console anyway and due to Square Enix's hubris they had been eroding FF (and some IPs) community on any other platform aside Playstation, thus essentially Sony was promoting the game to the people who would have bought FF16 (or any other FF game) anyway. Add to that, their PC exclusion meant that people who played FF14 on PC (and PC market is enormous) could not play the game and wouldn't have bought the console for the game anyway (at least not many of them).

Essentially Sony benefitted more from this deal than Square Enix, but even then I doubt there were that many benefits.

If post FF15, Square Enix embraced multiplatform releases, FF IP would be much more bigger. And by going EGS exclusive, Square Enix was able to damage the potential of FF7R too.

I think FF7R situation is a little bit unique as not only the development time has become longer, it has also become much more expensive to develop games like this while also the game being one of those cases where you cannot capitalize on bonus content or addons. It also stacks with the fact the game is a partial release anyway - as FF7R Part 2 already prevents some people from buying the game as some people would think that they need to buy the first to understand the story (it is true), and that's why SE is trying to throw P1 together with P2. I have for example bought the game on Steam last year, but have no play to buy P2 until P3 is released as there is no point in doing that and there are other games I can buy and play. Maybe for P3, Square Enix will add P1/P2 together.

FF has something crossmedia potential but even there is not doing that hot there either.
If you are going to wait until the last game is released to play Remake, that is going to be a chore, 200 hours minimum to finish all the three

If you are going to wait until the last game is released to play Remake, that is going to be a chore, 200 hours minimum to finish all the three
Doubt it, I really doubt those hour numbers SE gives will have any meaning for people who don’t care about platinum trophies and 100% games.

I played Part 1 but I haven't completed it. I am not the completionist to collect achievements or doing each and every quest. Maybe by the time the third part arrives I won't care. Who knows. At least for now I am skipping Part 2. It is not on PC anyway.

Personally, I think it was a mistake to split the game into three parts. Unless Square Enix expected FF7R to pull GTA (every part selling more than the previous). But even then those games were independent and I am not sure if splitting the main story into multiple parts has ever been successful.

Last edited:
I played Part 1 but I haven't completed it. I am not the completionist to collect achievements or doing each and every quest. Maybe by the time the third part arrives I won't care. Who knows. At least for now I am skipping Part 2. It is not on PC anyway.

Personally, I think it was a mistake to split the game into three parts. Unless Square Enix expected FF7R to pull GTA (every part selling more than the previous). But even then those games were independent and I am not sure if splitting the main story into multiple parts has even been successful.
Even if you just follow the main story, Rebirth being an open world game its probably going to be a much longer that Remake

There are several series that have been developed since the start thinking about and saiying for the public that they are going to make sequels and it wouldnt be a standalone game.

Like GOW (2018), Mass Effect and many others.

Dont know why people still talk about FFVII Remake having sequels like the first one to do it in the game industry.

These three remake games based on FF7 are three RPGs that exist at fundamentally different scales with different paces and structures, which I think will make them stand alone well. A linear urban setpiece heavy game, a worldwide adventure game using like 6 different vehicles and multiple large areas, and probably a non-linear airship-based game dealing with a good old JRPG apocalypse endgame.

Part One sold well and definitely has a few more million to go between normal legs + bundles + Switch 2 version and then some tiny sliver of sales from the inevitable Xbox version (most of the revenue coming via Game Pass whenever). It did really well.

Last edited:
Like GOW (2018), Mass Effect and many others.
Neither of those were "incomplete" stories though. FF7R is like imagine splitting ME1 into three games - like the first part ends with, I don't know, let's say after that mission where you discover the ancient alien and made a choice to kill or not to kill her, the second one ends on the encounter with Sovereign and the third one is going to the Citadel.

Personally, I think it was a mistake to split the game into three parts. Unless Square Enix expected FF7R to pull GTA (every part selling more than the previous). But even then those games were independent and I am not sure if splitting the main story into multiple parts has ever been successful.
Did FF7R actually manage to win over a new audience or was it just the usual long-established suspects? If the latter is the case, there's little reason to hope for better numbers than the first instalment. The franchise isn't a system seller, nor is it in any way groundbreaking these days to raise eyebrows.

Switch 2? Bundles? Yes, if you know what the Switch 2 is and whether people really want to support this release policy but otherwise you can hold your feet to the fire for now.

People acting like FFVIIR its not a really well received game and one of the TOP candidates for GOTY 2020 despite TLOU2 existing, is funny.

Every day YouTube recommend me videos like "Final Fantasy VII Remake - My First Final Fantasy #01", but people still try to act like no one cares about FFVII Remake Series outside of people that played the original 20 years ago.

People acting like FFVIIR its not a really well received game and one of the TOP candidates for GOTY 2020 despite TLOU2 existing, is funny.

Every day YouTube recommend me videos like "Final Fantasy VII Remake - My First Final Fantasy #01", but people still try to act like no one cares about FFVII Remake Series outside of people that played the original 20 years ago.
The videos YT recommends is a better barometer of who the game appealed to than actual sales? Really?

And Youtube recommends me Indiana Jones videos and some software engineering ones. Youtube recommends based on your tastes so...

We will see how Rebirth will perform.

The game sold 5m and then struggled to reach 7m with re-releases, DLCs, discounts and PS+. It was a successful game but it wasn't able to escape from the usual Final Fantasy fanbase (or it attracted new consumers by losing some others). Personally, I was expecting a bit more from one of the most beloved and successful games of its time (selling 10m units in late Nineties was a huge achievement), however Rebirth should be poised to do better being a more faithful Final Fantasy experience.

Given that FFVIIR released released on PC way too late and entered PS Plus less than a year after launch, 7 million is a great number. Who knows how Rebirth will do, but it should have a spot at the rumored SoP that might occur in a week or two.

I imagine how much the game being on PS Plus only 11 months after launch had an impact on its legs.

That said, 7 million isn't bad at all.

We don't have many JRPGs that sell that kind of numbers, especially with a not-so-smart rollout from Square-Enix.

I don't think anyone is saying FF7r sold badly, just that it failed to attract a new audience, or it did and failed to hold onto the old one. I don't think that should be a controversial statement.

Worse is its relative sales, on PS1 it sold similar to SM64, both of which where huge. Now 3D Mario sells 30mil. and FF is still selling similar to its PS1 days.

I imagine how much the game being on PS Plus only 11 months after launch had an impact on its legs.

That said, 7 million isn't bad at all.

We don't have many JRPGs that sell that kind of numbers, especially with a not-so-smart rollout from Square-Enix.
It doesn’t seem to have particularly strong legs on Steam, where there would be no such PS Plus effect. Epic can only partly explain this.

It doesn’t seem to have particularly strong legs on Steam, where there would be no such PS Plus effect. Epic can only partly explain this.

Does it not have good legs on Steam? As far as I can tell it is something like the 5th-ish best-selling Square Enix game on Steam out of the 70 or whatever games they have on the platform, despite being the fourth staggered release, and the ones beating it all have been on the platform a fair bit longer.

Last edited:
I think it was said they're not completely cutting lower tier games but putting more out fewer games with improved quality. Some of these AA games budgets could have been gone to strengthen other AA games, particularly with their marketing, which was a point that SE mentioned
Yeah I'm not sure how to feel about this as someone who desperately wants more Harvestella but knows the numbers don't look good for it.

I really dislike the increasingly wide gulf between indies and 9-figure AAA titles with less and less in between, but I can't fault Square Enix for responding to the market they're operating it. That said, when you consider that most of SE's "middling"/AA releases were priced at $USD60, it's arguable whether consumers really responded to them as AA titles. I think many people judged them by higher AAA standards because they were being sold at higher AAA price, and they mostly come off half-baked by AAA standards.

In Harvestella's case I seriously wonder what benefit Live Wire really got out of partnering with SE. SE granted them use of their asset library, and probably got them their spot in that one Nintendo Direct (which is admittedly a great get) and...? Basically zero marketing campaign outside of that Direct, inappropriate branding (game is described as a "life sim" everywhere its sold and we all know it ain't that), and an inappropriately high price point that in SE's usual fashion almost immediately started being routinely marked down 50%.

And to boot, most people who saw the game assumed it was not only published by SE but developed by them too, so they judged it by the standards of "the giant who makes Final Fantasy makes this" instead of the standards of "the little studio that made Ender Lilies made this."

I hope for their sakes that the publishing deal involved large sums of cash that they needed in order to finish the games, because if they did it hoping SE would give Harvestella better international marketing exposure than Binary Haze Interactive did with Ender Lilies, they certainly didn't get it.

No, its doing pretty well on Steam.

20k reviews, still showing up in the 300-500 top sellers outsider of sales, when its on sale it end up in the 10-40 TOP sellers easily.

If you want a Square game with no legs on Steam, theres Nier Replicant, Harvestella, Trials of Mana.

It will probably have a big boost in sales if they release a Twin Package on Steam too

Does it not have good legs on Steam? As far as I can tell it is something like the 5th-ish best-selling Square Enix game on Steam out of the 70 or whatever games they have on the platform, despite being the fourth staggered release, and the ones beating it all have multiple extra years on the platform to sell.
Taking a look at steamdb estimates, and excluding XVI. It's behind (significantly or slightly):

NieR:Automata
Just Cause 3
Life is Strange
FINAL FANTASY XV
Outriders
Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Just Cause 4
FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster
Sleeping Dogs
Life is Strange 2
Marvel's Avengers

The list of AAA games it's ahead of is mostly unimpressive. Octopath Traveler 1 & 2 are the standouts, otherwise there's not much for VII to boast about.
Post automatically merged:

No, its doing pretty well on Steam.

20k reviews, still showing up in the 300-500 top sellers outsider of sales, when its on sale it end up in the 10-40 TOP sellers easily.

If you want a Square game with no legs on Steam, theres Nier Replicant, Harvestella, Trials of Mana.

It will probably have a big boost in sales if they release a Twin Package on Steam too
Damning with faint praise. VII is one of the standout games in SE's standout series. I don't think it's saying much for the remake based on it to be doing slightly better than a Nier remake (a game that originally did not break a million). Or Harvestlla.

Taking a look at steamdb estimates, and excluding XVI. It's behind (significantly or slightly):

NieR:Automata
Just Cause 3
Life is Strange
FINAL FANTASY XV
Outriders
Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Just Cause 4
FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster
Sleeping Dogs
Life is Strange 2
Marvel's Avengers

The list of AAA games it's ahead of is mostly unimpressive. Octopath Traveler 1 & 2 are the standouts, otherwise there's not much for VII to boast about.
Post automatically merged:

Damning with faint praise. VII is one of the standout games in SE's standout series. I don't think it's saying much for the remake based on it to be doing slightly better than a Nier remake (a game that originally did not break a million). Or Harvestlla.
Nier Replicant sold 1.5M, Nier Automata is massive on Steam and it was a day 1 release on Steam.

FFVIIR outside of being exclusive for PS4 for 2 years, released 6 months earlier on Epic Store.

Harvestella it was a PC day 1 release too.

The thing is FFVIIR is still selling well on PC, its always on 300-500 top sellers despite having a pretty bad regional price and when its on sale its just 50% at most

Its not weird that SE has focused so much on Sony, since the PS era began SE has been so close to Sony that it has almost been a first party developer, such deep ties are not something you move away from quickly, but it seems that in recent times they have taken steps away from Sony. They also had a terrible relationship with Nintendo and Xbox user base doesn't care about JRPG games, so that is also reasons why they have been so closely tied to Sony and PS.

I don't know how you got that Nintendo and SE had a terrible relationship. maybe a rough patch during the N64/PS1 days, but after that, they mended that.

Dragon Quest Builders 1 coming to Steam as a complete edition in two weeks, looks like it will be $30. This is the 7th Dragon Quest game to be on Steam. It's usually regarded as just not as good of a game as DQB2 so it is there mostly for the sake of completeness, or people that want the smaller and more focused campaign. The face the script is probably 10% as long as DQB2 is a huge plus.

I expect to one or two more DQ ports in this next Fiscal Year, and we might see an FF16 Steam launch this March to get some of the port revenue for this Fiscal Year, but honestly, that maybe depends on what their expectations for Rebirth are.

What DQ games are left that could hit Steam though? Other than DQM3 all I can think of are the premium mobile remakes and ports of I-VIII? Maybe Itadaki Street Anniversary?

What DQ games are left that could hit Steam though? Other than DQM3 all I can think of are the premium mobile remakes and ports of I-VIII? Maybe Itadaki Street Anniversary?

DQM3 is very likely. I don't think there was much of a contractual exclusivity window for it. DQX Offline is already on Steam but will probably get an English announcement with just like a month or two warning.

I think SE is going to start doing some ports of the DQ DS/3DS games. I think DQ7R is the most likely out of them, but 4/5/6 all have overlapping efforts if/when those ports come.

At this point Steam is Square Enix's most consistently supported platform, so things like Theaterythym are probably coming, and Kingdom Hearts finally unless there's some contractual chaos. The Steam/Mobile ports of the Pixel Remasters are still going to be getting at least the features that were in the console versions, and probably more.

Last edited:
Thinking about Final Fantasy, i feel Square Enix should do the following with the main titles.

• Follow market trends more closely (i.e. open world non-linear design, focus on gameplay mechanics, freedom to the player with core rpg mechanics such as levelling, stats, equipments, etc.)
  • Add the uniqueness of a modern Final Fantasy without going away/against what made the series popular in the first place
  • Focus on execution, quality and polish. Final Fantasy XV had great ideas but a very mediocre execution (lack of overall vision with a part of the game very different from others, strange combat system, multiple limitations to exploration, etc.)
  • Deliver good PC ports without any storefront exclusives

I feel that FF XI would be a very good framework to learn from. While the game was a very hardcore MMO the blueprint could be easily adapted to a modern single player jrpg experience: the combat system was amazing, explorations was tremendous, etc.

Thinking about Final Fantasy, i feel Square Enix should do the following with the main titles.

• Follow market trends more closely (i.e. open world non-linear design, focus on gameplay mechanics, freedom to the player with core rpg mechanics such as levelling, stats, equipments, etc.)
  • Add the uniqueness of a modern Final Fantasy without going away/against what made the series popular in the first place
  • Focus on execution, quality and polish. Final Fantasy XV had great ideas but a very mediocre execution (lack of overall vision with a part of the game very different from others, strange combat system, multiple limitations to exploration, etc.)

I feel that FF XI would be a very good framework to learn from. While the game was a very hardcore MMO the blueprint could be easily adapted to a modern single player jrpg experience: the combat system was amazing, explorations was tremendous, etc.

What if the FF15 team used these lessons and made an open-world Action RPG. Leveling, gear, Isekai, good PC port, polished, delayed repeatedly to ensure quality, no storefront exclusivity! Sounds like it would do really well!

What if the FF15 team used these lessons and made an open-world Action RPG. Leveling, gear, Isekai, good PC port, polished, delayed repeatedly to ensure quality, no storefront exclusivity! Sounds like it would do really well!

I mean, the issues people had with Forspoken (based on what I read in reviews, never played it) was that the level design was terrible and caused the game to be really uninteresting to explore?

Which has been the issue for SE in FF15, FF7R1, and FF16 as well.

I mean, the issues people had with Forspoken (based on what I read in reviews, never played it) was that the level design was terrible and caused the game to be really uninteresting to explore?

Which has been the issue for SE in FF15, FF7R1, and FF16 as well.

Forspoken doesn’t do anything particularly well. It’s a great example of how risky a AAA IP can be, everything sounds great on paper but it just doesn’t come together as a cohesive experience.

Luminous went from a 10 million seller to getting shut down in one failed project, it’s tough out there, a strong brand like FF is invaluable if you want to experiment with new concepts and mechanics.

We’re about a month away from seeing what the FF franchise can do when they get to build upon a foundation instead of throwing everything from the previous game away and starting from scratch. The sales of Rebirth will be critical for the future of the franchise.

Aparently the Deluxe version of Rebirth is sold out everywhere.

I bought mine from VGP a few weeks ago. I hope they have stock without any problems.

I think FFXV was a step in the right direction. It had all the elements that made Final Fantasy popular: a sense of adventure, explorable cities, a clear identity, charismatic cast of characters. Of course it had many issues such as an incomplete story but building on that framework could have worked really well for future entries.

I think FFXV was a step in the right direction. It had all the elements that made Final Fantasy popular: a sense of adventure, explorable cities, a clear identity, charismatic cast of characters. Of course it had many issues such as an incomplete story but building on that framework could have worked really well for future entries.
Yeah, I agree. For their next entry should have followed FF15 pattern but release it in a complete form.

Weird to have it at the developers direct then. I mean, I get it, but I think Xbox players are set in their gamepass expectations

It's possible it's coming to GamePass 6 months after launch and the deal is already signed.
It wouldn't be the first time (Soul Hackers 2).

Weird to have it at the developers direct then. I mean, I get it, but I think Xbox players are set in their gamepass expectations

But why?
I mean, it was a Developer Direct: by definition it could (and probably should) include also PC games and "full price" games, not only first party-day-1-gamepass-games imho

But why?
I mean, it was a Developer Direct: by definition it could (and probably should) include also PC games and "full price" games, not only first party-day-1-gamepass-games imho
because xbox players would be harder pressed to play a jrpg that's not on gamepass. MS pushed GP hard to the point where GP is xbox's identity now.

Back
Top Bottom