• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Square Enix Financial Results for Fiscal Year Ended March 31, 2022: Net sales up 9.9% from previous FY; Operating Income (59 billion yen) up 25.5%

Abzeronow

Disciple
Pronouns
he/him

"Tokyo, Japan - May 13, 2022 - Square Enix Holdings Co. LTD ("the Company") today announced consolidated financial results for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2022"

(I cannot post charts, if anyone wishes to post charts, they are welcome to)

Key Figures: (in millions of yen, except percentages and per share data)

Net sales: 365,275 (FY Ended 3/22); 332,532 (FY Ended 3/21); YoY change: 9.9%
Operating Income: 59,261 (FY Ended 3/22); 47,226 (FY Ended 3/21); YoY change: 25.5%
Ordinary Income: 70,704 (FY Ended 3/22); 49,983 (FY Ended 3/21); YoY change 41.5%
Profit Attributable to owners of the parent: 51,013 (FY Ended 3/22); 26,942 (FY Ended 3/21); YoY change 89.3%
EPS, basic: 426.82 yen (FY Ended 3/22); 225.75 yen (FY Ended 3/21)

Full earnings document at https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/pdf/22q4earnings.pdf

For the fiscal year ended March 31, 2022, HD Game sub-segment had a decline from the previous year. Net sales rose year on year in the MMO sub-segment not only in the sharp rise of paying subscribers to Final Fantasy XIV but also expansion pack sales. Their mobile sub-segment had somewhat weak sales but had net sales increase due to changes in accounting. The Amusement segment rebounded as previous FY had effects from COVID shutdown and a return to profitability. The Publication segment had year on year increases in net sales and operating income, with brisk digital sales and solid print sales owing in part to popularity of "My Dress-Up Darling" . In Merchandising, brisk sales of new character merchandise based on "the Group's own content" had higher Net Sales and Operating Income than previous FY.

A few of the slides caught my attention: the FY that just ended had a higher digital to packaged sales ratio as far as digital games. Physical game sales in Japan were essentially half of what they were of the previous year. Small declines elsewhere in game unit sales. (EDIT: HD Game and MMO are both counted for physical and digital game sales)

Square Enix created their Blockchain Entertainment Business Division in Feb. 2022, and were encouraged by feedback and results of their NFT business. (This is apparently called San-Shi-Sei Million Arthur)

Last edited:

I'll post the link to the Q&A when Square Enix releases it. (Probably in a few weeks). They recommend Balan Wonderworld with confidence. Especially since RGT 85 is probably going to have to play it sometime soon.

Quoting myself from a different thread...

Final Fantasy XIV doing the lord's work. Someone fetch Yoshi-P an iced tea.

Also interesting...

A few of the slides caught my attention: the FY that just ended had a higher digital to packaged sales ratio as far as digital games. Physical game sales in Japan were essentially half of what they were of the previous year. Small declines elsewhere in game unit sales.

Yep, physical sales in Japan dropped significantly, while digital sales remained more or less status quo. We should note that the loss of physical didn't result in a rise of digital (in other words, it's not like the physical purchasers switched to digital, it's more like they just didn't buy anything at all). Be interesting to see how a title like Final Fantasy XVI affects this, but digital can't be denied even in Japan.

Doesn’t digital sales include also MMO ones? That would explain why digital sales were flat with both DQX and FFXIV getting new expansions

I wasn't expecting such a good increase in sales and profit.

Now, lol at their Blockchain project. Although, it may be the perfect time to start it, cheap assets everywhere XD

FF14 is a huge money-maker for Square, and I can see why after playing the game for the first time recently. I could see myself sinking hundreds of hours into that MMO.

Charts of Financial Results and about Digital Entertainment segment
Thanks to @DeekeTweak

FSpITCiXwAIfAZ7

FSpJZhUXsAAuZn5

FSpKV6PXsAA_Rlw

FSpKhaQWUAA3wz8

FSpK8zbWYAAeYrq

FSpLopBXwAEVaWG

On Page 3, Yosuke Matsuda says that for Q4, Final Fantasy XIV helped them build up operating income. On Page 4, Matsuda says they are extremely pleased with the performance of Final Fantasy XIV. For Mobile games, Matsuda says Echoes of Mana had a solid start and this summer's Fullmetal Alchemist Mobile received great results on closed beta test.

On Page 7, Matsuda confirmed that Just Cause remains a Square Enix IP and that they are at work developing a new title in the franchis.

For Q&A, they admit that multiple HD Games have struggled in their performance in the last few years. They concede an interest in online titles for overseas markets but it's not their exclusive focus. They didn't include anything about Balan Wonderworld with the Q&A.

EDIT: I thought we already knew this but on Page 8, Matsuda says proceeds from Crystal Dynamics and Eidos divestiture will not be invested in NFT and Blockchain but rather "foster solid IP" and to enhance game development. They are considering starting a CVC (corporate venture capital)

Last edited:
Mobile and FF14, DQ10 carrying SE heavy arse.

When a company admit to its shareholders that their recent HD/dedicated gaming effort flop/underperform. You know they really F it up.

Back
Top Bottom