• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Sony's Jim Ryan is confident the PS5 can sell at least 108 million units

Phantom Thief

Analyst
Life Will Change
Pronouns
He/Him
In a recent games business briefing, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan said that he strongly believes that the PS5 family of hardware will break 108 million sales worldwide across its life cycle. This would put the PS5 just below the PS4's 117.2 million shipments, but above the PS1's 102.4 million lifetime shipments.

"Yes, I would anticipate that over the life of the PlayStation 5, that we should be able to exceed a figure of 70 million on top of the 38 million [we have achieved]," Ryan said in the Q&A section of the meeting's webcast.

"The reason I say that is the 70 million I think is the existing PlayStation 4 user base, and while we would hope to convert a large number of those people, we will definitely target and and definitely be successful in bringing large numbers of gamers who did not own a PlayStation 4, and in many instances, who have never owned a PlayStation at all.

Source, reporting on Sony's investor Q&A webcast.

Seems like a lowballed estimate, honestly, I think it will at least match the PS4 given the start it has had, as well as the expected length of the generation.

So if they maintain a regular/flat pace selling (using the 38.4m shipped figure from Gematsu article), they will meet that goal in about 4 years... So they expect PS5 stays for 7 years at minimum.

That is a bizzarre estimate (I would expect a more rounded number lol)
Btw I think it could totally match PS4 LT sales imho

Jimbo is possibly lowballing it.

But I’m still surprised it has sold close to the PS4 launch aligned with mostly cross gen games and a higher price

Jimbo is possibly lowballing it.

But I’m still surprised it has sold close to the PS4 launch aligned with mostly cross gen games and a higher price
PS4 started with a library of zero games, in an environment where people started to question the traditional console market - meanwhile PS5 played every PS4 from Day 1 and had support from most of the biggest service and online games people are playing right now.

PS5 is a straight up replacement and upgrade from PS4 - which wasnt the case going from PS3/PSV to PS4.

With that being said, PS5 demand has been ridiculous high for the first couple years so i guess being somewhat surprised by it makes sense.

Strange considering the current demand for it. But maybe he expects a new Switch and increasing Xbox demand.

I think the bigger question lies in its software situation, the absurd development time of first-party titles is getting so extreme that first-party studios are happy with releasing 2 games for a system. How many games can Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica come out with when it takes 5-6 years to make something?

After Spider-Man 2 it looks barren.

Start better than PS4 with another misstep from Xbox.

Yeahhhhh.

I think PS5 will sell slightly more than the PS4, so in the 125 to 130 million range. Sales through to the 40th quarter of 100 million selling consoles

RE9rrW9.png

Assuming JR is accurate here I can guess a few possible reasons (from most to least likely imo).

1) They're planning to drop the PS6 sooner then expected which would naturally cut off PS5 sales early.

2) They anticipate Switch 2 coming out soon and stealing a lot of thunder from PS5 as a lot more games will be multiplatform with it.

3) They expect the rumored disc-less PS5 to face some consumer backlash which would hurt momentum (assuming they discontinue the current popular model for it)

4) They think the CMA appeal will be successful, and expect a lot of people to pivot to Xbox due to the possibility of ABK titles going exclusive.

5) They expect cloud to take off in the next 5 years in a big way, which would diminish sales for main console devices.

I just have a hard time buying that JR and his team believe the PS5 will sell less then the PS4 given it's current trajectory.

I'm less confident on PS5 long term prospects after the latest showcase but selling 10m less than PS4 should still be a very achievable target.

I’m sure PS5 will sell at least the same as PS4, thats ~120 millions.

If PS5 Pro is aiming for a 2024 release, PS6 is 2028 at earliest, maybe they can strech it until 2030.

2017 and 2018 PS4 were really good due to the Pro, $299 base price and $199 promo, and Fortnite.

2024 and 2025 PS5 will have to compare very well to hold that same momentum.

That's a very low estimate? I'd argue PS5 has everything to surpass PS4 LTD. But I guess future is very unpredictable.

I can see the logic of the "low ball", the current demand spike is riding on a few key factors that aren't exactly going to persist. We also have no forecast on new hardware revisions or where they might be positioned, and the PS4 enjoyed some very good long-term boons (price cut + Fortnite) that aren't clear to materialize again this generation.

It's also entirely possible that Sony expects a shorter generation before the PS6 comes out and continues the "Platystation family" that has been made fairly ubiquitous since the PS4 as the PS5 is a largely seemless transition.

Seeing as how Xbox is doing its utmost to not compete with them, the market is Sony's to lose.

Third parties will continue to bolster its catalogue, and first party blockbusters will keep the PlayStation name in the customer mindshare.

It would honestly be more surprising if PS5 didn't hit that number.

Now, PS4 had a longevity that was ironically cut short by Sony in 2020, so that's what got it to 118. Part of it due to zeitgeist games such as Fortnite and GTAV, so we'll see if PS5 can find that strong position as well.

"The reason I say that is the 70 million I think is the existing PlayStation 4 user base, and while we would hope to convert a large number of those people, we will definitely target and and definitely be successful in bringing large numbers of gamers who did not own a PlayStation 4, and in many instances, who have never owned a PlayStation at all.

I think it’s erroneous for Jim to take the playstation network monthly active users 108 million and just -minus the current ps5 sales and assume that 70 million represent individual ps4 users yet to migrate to new hardware.

One piece of ps4 or ps5 hardware can have multiple accounts on it (to play games out of regions, friends and family members, etc.)

So the number of remaining individuals on the ps4 who haven’t bought a ps5 is a lot smaller than he thinks.

Also, the home console gaming userbase isn’t growing. So, to expect the ps5 userbase to be more than the ps4 is a bit of a stretch. I don’t see any signs of Sony growing the playstaion hardware user userbase this gen.

Source, reporting on Sony's investor Q&A webcast.

Seems like a lowballed estimate, honestly, I think it will at least match the PS4 given the start it has had, as well as the expected length of the generation.

Yea, the length will be the key. And how many different models of the ps5 they plan on releasing during that length. It might help them pad out the raw hardware sales.

But if we are talking about the same gen length? Naw, no way it could reach ps4 sales.

With that being said, PS5 demand has been ridiculous high for the first couple years so i guess being somewhat surprised by it makes sense.

Yea I get the being surprised part too…but the in-demand, low stock, quick sales after supply reaches demand tells us absolutely nothing definitively.

At the same point in the Wii lifecycle, the Wii had sold 50 million. If you told someone in May of 2009 that the Wii would end up selling only about 14 million more than the ps3…which was sitting at 23 million at the time…they would look at you side eyed, I’m sure.

Last edited:
The software sales were down(short-term profits go up, it´s great), software sells hardware, it´s the norm. Ps4 has easier competition than Ps5: Switch and Series seem more competitive than Wiiu and One. This is the fact, what disruptive strategy or blue ocean strategy Sony can make to fight against the dude bro decline and bring new crowd to plataform? What dormant consumers sony can reach and Microsoft and Nintendo don´t? Sony's strong suit was the distribution and all games go to the PlayStation. This is the weapon against Nintendo reaching the indies and Microsoft infinite money?

Sony positioned in games as services will bring more thirds than the former sell games method?

Assuming JR is accurate here I can guess a few possible reasons (from most to least likely imo).

1) They're planning to drop the PS6 sooner then expected which would naturally cut off PS5 sales early.

2) They anticipate Switch 2 coming out soon and stealing a lot of thunder from PS5 as a lot more games will be multiplatform with it.

3) They expect the rumored disc-less PS5 to face some consumer backlash which would hurt momentum (assuming they discontinue the current popular model for it)

4) They think the CMA appeal will be successful, and expect a lot of people to pivot to Xbox due to the possibility of ABK titles going exclusive.

5) They expect cloud to take off in the next 5 years in a big way, which would diminish sales for main console devices.

I just have a hard time buying that JR and his team believe the PS5 will sell less then the PS4 given it's current trajectory.
*6) they have a PS5 Pro in the pipeline they hope to further expand their reach and sales.

I'm less confident on PS5 long term prospects after the latest showcase but selling 10m less than PS4 should still be a very achievable target.
To be fair, it is only one showcase. There will be several others by Sony and they’ll reveal their pipeline when appropriate. Drawing a conclusion from one showcase imo is pretty silly. If it was a series of showcases and the audience was very negative to it I’d agree in being less confident.

Last edited:
The weird phrasing comes from the figure of 70 million PS4 users that they want to convert into PS5 users. He talks about non current PS4 users being converted later on too. So I guess we can use it as the minimum target LTD figure.

PS4 started with a library of zero games, in an environment where people started to question the traditional console market - meanwhile PS5 played every PS4 from Day 1 and had support from most of the biggest service and online games people are playing right now.

PS5 is a straight up replacement and upgrade from PS4 - which wasnt the case going from PS3/PSV to PS4.

I agree the continuing ecosystem helps a lot.

However PS5 is missing /likely to miss some advantages PS4 had, though some were maintained.

1) Stink from the failed Xbone launch setting all momentum Sony's way (some residual of this remains to this day)
2) PS4 was the most powerful console and Xbone was weaker. Now reversed, if you want the best version of multiplats, Xbox wins.
3) Basically zero competition from Nintendo for the first few years
4) PS5 unlikely to get Fortnite and pandemic boosts that greatly benefited PS4
5) Dominant Japanese support on almost all fronts
6) Anecdotal, but PS4's design was well liked, many people loathe the PS5 physical design

Frankly I'm amazed it has sold this well with mostly cross gen games, but the 'no brainer' upgrade purchase from existing PS4 owners is obviously a strong selling point.

I agree the continuing ecosystem helps a lot.

However PS5 is missing /likely to miss some advantages PS4 had, though some were maintained.

1) Stink from the failed Xbone launch setting all momentum Sony's way (some residual of this remains to this day)
2) PS4 was the most powerful console and Xbone was weaker. Now reversed, if you want the best version of multiplats, Xbox wins.
3) Basically zero competition from Nintendo for the first few years
4) PS5 unlikely to get Fortnite and pandemic boosts that greatly benefited PS4
5) Dominant Japanese support on almost all fronts
6) Anecdotal, but PS4's design was well liked, many people loathe the PS5 physical design

Frankly I'm amazed it has sold this well with mostly cross gen games, but the 'no brainer' upgrade purchase from existing PS4 owners is obviously a strong selling point.
Yeah, the PS5's success is pretty crazy to me in light of its few exclusives even if it is riding a lot on the PS4's momentum. But probably a lot of people who are tired of their game console of choice sounding like a jet engine and willing to upgrade.

Jim Ryan : I am very optimistic that over the life of the platform that we will exceed the number THAT YOU MENTIONED.

Always know the context to understand and do not stop only on a bit of a sentence.

That is a bizzarre estimate (I would expect a more rounded number lol)
Btw I think it could totally match PS4 LT sales imho
He said a very rounded number of 70M, which is reasonable, but I think it will do more than that.

That's the exact opposite of what I'm saying. Unless you think the PS5 Pro is going to hurt sales, it has nothing to do with analyzing why JR is forecasting the PS5 to sell less then the PS4.
The PlayStation 5 pro would take some of the sales for the standard model, and also push some people more to look for that experience over the basic model. Keep in mind that PlayStation’s audience is more receptive to a more performant system, and if Sony actually works a lot better this time to do with the PlayStation 4 pro, they can actually get some thing that performs better saleswise, but does eat into the base model sales I feel. At least a bit. Which they would like, you know, people buying the more expensive model, or the most premium form of that family.

If the performance per dollar is actually a compelling one, then people will actually gravitate to that system model

I thought the new model this year was just to sell a PS5 with a detachable disc drive not necessarily a PS5 Pro? Regardless I do think a PS5 Pro will provide a boost but nothing much long term similar to PS4 Pro. PS4 benefitted more from price reductions (slim and the black friday deals) than PS4 Pro ever provided. I don't think Playstation fans are more receptive to performance upgrades at all really unless its a successor (PS6). What exactly does a PS5 Pro add? Higher price tag, 8K, and better frame rates is all I can think of and that's not something that pulls in larger audiences. Maybe PS5 Pro timed with Spiderman 2 will help, so that might be the mistake they made with PS4 Pro which launched in 2016 with Uncharted 4 I thought. I don't see PS5 Pro doing any better than PS4 Pro and think Sony should focus on lowering PS5's price tag. Asking consumers to upgrade a home console is always a big ask from consumers at large because most consumers are content with the original console and aren't interested in paying more for a console that plays the same games. A portable platform like Switch is a much easier ask because there is so much more to upgrade on portable platforms such as performance, screen, battery, and even size of the device. Oled did far better for Switch than PS4 Pro did for PS4 because of this.

Jim Ryan : I am very optimistic that over the life of the platform that we will exceed the number THAT YOU MENTIONED.

Always know the context to understand and do not stop only on a bit of a sentence.

Its amazing for an analytics site how no one actually bothered to read the article. it completely eliminates the need to speculate and extrapolate on what it meant.

I'd predict something like Q -> few months later Diskless Slim -> few months after that Pro. Nice reveal/release cadence at like a six month pace.
That's similar to what PS4 did right except the screened controller of course. What's the pricing strategy?

Last edited:
That's the exact opposite of what I'm saying. Unless you think the PS5 Pro is going to hurt sales, it has nothing to do with analyzing why JR is forecasting the PS5 to sell less then the PS4.

He forecasted no such thing. But I'm enjoying reading all the strawman arguments from people here pretending that he did.

So if I'm not mistaken the trend of why PS consoles have success is something like this:

- PS1: Cheap console with no competition
- PS2: Cheap DVD + console and no competition
- PS3: Cheap Bluray with competition but sold less than the others
- PS4: Fornite, no competition
- PS5: PS4 BC games and FOMO

anything else??

So if I'm not mistaken the trend of why PS consoles have success is something like this:

anything else??
Bluray players were over $600?
Even the PS2 in it's first few years was more expensive than most DVD players.

Bluray players were over $600?
Even the PS2 in it's first few years was more expensive than most DVD players.
a Sony "premium" Bluray player was $599 at the beginning of 2007, but others were a little bit more expensive, so yeah.

In the case of the PS2, by the end of 2001, a GE DVD player was $99 whilst the console was still $299.

anything else??

I'd mix in a little more 'Microsoft/Nintendo fucked up' and you just about got it. Oh yeah and once PS5 breezes past another 100 million feel free to add "no competition" to that one also.

anything else??
PS2 for Europe was also a SingStar machine. It basically made the PS2 a standard essential for teens and young adults on home parties. Karaoke was never a really big thing there compared to Asia or North America. They localized the games in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Polish, Croatian and Russian.

The 2000s were a phenomenal decade for London Studios in Europe. The marketing was incredible as well.

PS2 for Europe was also a SingStar machine. It basically made the PS2 a standard essential for teens and young adults on home parties. Karaoke was never a really big thing there compared to Asia or North America. They localized the games in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Polish, Croatian and Russian.

The 2000s were a phenomenal decade for London Studios in Europe. The marketing was incredible as well.

That's a good callout. Between Singstar, Guitar Hero, Eye Toy and tv/film licenses the PS2 had a very broad library that appealed to a lot of "casual" players. Something Nintendo would of course successfully tap into with the Wii and DS.

Back
Top Bottom