• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Sony Q4 FY3/2023 Financial Results - HW: 6.3M (+215% YoY, FCT surpassed!) ; SW: 68M (-4% YoY) [Edit: Business meeting !]

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/

I5hDgNl.png

Qtu9W3l.png

Game & Network Services (G&NS)
Results for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2023 Sales increased 904.8 billion yen (33%) year-on-year to 3 trillion 644.6 billion yen (an 18% increase on a constant currency basis). This significant increase in sales was mainly due to the impact of foreign exchange rates, an increase in sales of hardware and an increase in sales of first-party titles, partially offset primarily by a decrease in sales of non-first-party titles including add-on content. Operating income decreased 96.1 billion yen year-on-year to 250.0 billion yen. This significant decrease was primarily due to an increase in costs, mainly for game software development and expenses associated with acquisitions completed in the current fiscal year including Bungie, Inc.*, in addition to the impact of the above-mentioned decrease in sales of non-first-party titles. This decrease in operating income was partially offset by the impact of the above-mentioned increase in sales of first-party titles as well as a decrease in losses from hardware. During the current fiscal year, there was a 32.4 billion yen negative impact from foreign exchange rate fluctuations. * 52.7 billion yen was recorded as expenses associated with acquisitions completed in the current fiscal year. For details regarding the acquisition of Bungie, Inc., please refer to pages F-21 and F-22.

Forecast for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2024

Sales are expected to increase year-on-year mainly due to an expected increase in sales of hardware and peripheral devices, partially offset primarily by the impact of foreign exchange rates. Operating income and Adjusted OIBDA are expected to increase year-onyear mainly due to an expected improvement in hardware profitability and the positive impact of foreign exchange rates reflecting the high ratio of U.S. dollar-denominated costs, in addition to the impact of the above-mentioned expected increase in sales of peripheral devices. These increases are expected to be partially offset primarily by an expected increase in costs* and the impact of an expected decrease in sales of first-party titles. * This increase in costs is expected to be partially offset by a decrease in expenses resulting from an expected increase in the capitalized amount of game software development costs from the fiscal year ending March 31, 2024 onward.

Upcoming forecast

image.png

Sources

Financial Statements - https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q4_sony.pdf
Presentation - https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q4_sonypre.pdf
Supplemental Information - https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q4_supplement.pdf

Graphs

Coming soon !

Last edited:
PS4 through March 16=40.0
PS5 same point now=38.4

They made up a ton of ground but still trail ps4 ltd.

Apr-June16 PS4 shipments=3.5 (next gen over gen comp)

hope i didn't get my dates wrong.

I always believed that they would be able to do it.

Where are the doubters now?? Lol

PS5 is now at 38,400,000 as of March 31, 2023, or 10 quarters
PS4 was at 40,200,000 after 10 quarters, at March 31, 2016

Highest January to March shipments for each video game device

PS5: 6.3M
PS2: 6.02M / 2005 (Production shipments)
NDS: 5.81M / 2008
WII: 5.43M / 2009
NSW: 4.73M / 2021
PS1: 4.62M / 1998 (Production shipments)
PS4: 3.1M / 2014

Really, really good result for PS consoles sold, the signs have been there for a while. Though I'm a bit confused apparently that they expect to sell less first party games this FY, with the rumours of a showcase for 'phase 2' being imminent spearheaded by Spider-Man. Maybe those games are still far away.

Really, really good result for PS consoles sold, the signs have been there for a while. Though I'm a bit confused apparently that they expect to sell less first party games this FY, with the rumours of a showcase for 'phase 2' being imminent spearheaded by Spider-Man. Maybe those games are still far away.
Factions and their other GAAS titles could potentially be F2P.

Completely in awe in front of this hardware number, very wild stuff. I can happily eat my crow on this one!

Software being down YoY shows how important it was for the PS5 to pick up. The bulk of shipments arrived late so it is not very surprising that it didn't reflect on SW directly.

Looking forward to their FY23 forecast.

Tell me if the OP misses anything ;)

On the software side, the post-covid decline seems to continue, but that hardware sales, wow

Wow, crazy numbers! Hard to see them rising to 19m without strong indications of being able to hit it but still

Factions and their other GAAS titles could potentially be F2P.

That's a good point yeah, though on a purely personal level I'm not expecting these to be breakout hits straight away (think we might see a few games like that middling Predator game SIE published a few years ago before they hit their stride) so I'm going to be of the opinion that SM might be the only exciting SIE game released for a while until,proven otherwise.

That's a good point yeah, though on a purely personal level I'm not expecting these to be breakout hits straight away (think we might see a few games like that middling Predator game SIE published a few years ago before they hit their stride) so I'm going to be of the opinion that SM might be the only exciting SIE game released for a while until,proven otherwise.
That's a fair assumptions since the expectation should be on SM2 to overperform GoW.

Goddamn, they actually did it. 6.3M Jan-Mar shipment is out-of-this-world.

Does that 68M software figure include PSVR2 games?

Easiest bet won. They told us 1 month into the quarter how many they were going ship, so this is no surprise. Marginally surprised at them beating their forecast by 100k though.

This is absolutely unbelievably amazing.
History is being written.

And that software figure is also excellent despite the YoY drop.

Big SW decline, covid bump is over, back to regular SW sales. Not surprising, we saw the same impact across all the other 3rd parties, dramatic decrease in catalogue sales.

I think this suggests it's just going to be Spiderman 2, as huge as that game will be. Realistically I can't see much else in terms of first party besides maybeeeee Factions, which I suspect will be next fiscal year and not sold full price. If you look at their other first party studios, I can't see many "imminent" releases, big or small.

In contrast, this FY was Horizon 2, God of War and GT7 iirc.

I think this suggests it's just going to be Spiderman 2, as huge as that game will be. Realistically I can't see much else in terms of first party besides maybeeeee Factions, which I suspect will be next fiscal year and not sold full price. If you look at their other first party studios, I can't see many "imminent" releases, big or small.

In contrast, this FY was Horizon 2, God of War and GT7 iirc.
Horizon 2 and GT7 were released the FY before that.

I'm still baffled anyone on this forum thought 6.2M wouldn't happen. They said the number when this quarter was already almost half way through and Sony are normally conservative with their hw forecast.

Anyway, obviously fantastic calendar q1 and PS5 is a lot closer to being caught up to all the sales it lost due to low supply now.

It is interesting they expect lower first party game sales, must have pretty much nothing outside of Spider-Man. Factions is probably f2p if it's coming.

Massive Result for them. This is one of the biggest examples of pent up demand being satisfied so many years post launch.

Let alone the fact that the increased the price everywhere outside the states and most systems still were game bundles.

Wow, is it the best non-holiday quarter ever? PlayStation really is the biggest brand, with such a high price during an economic crisis, I wouldn't have expected PS5 to be such a phenomenon.

What an absolutely wild number! PS5 is just a juggernaut. It’ll be interesting to see how long this pent up demand lasts for, it looks set to fly past the PS4 on its current trajectory.

Bodes really well for SW like Spider-Man, that game has the potential to break records IMO.

strong ps5 numbers, let's see how it fares now that stock is sorted out now

I don't know why many people are so surprised with these numbers. PS5 had crazy shortages during first years, and now Sony resolved the problem and shipped a lot to meet a demand. It's completely expected. Still tracking a little behind PS4.

Going to make a new bet.

Will PS5 hit its 25M forecast for the current fiscal year?

No
Yes
It'll do 30M

Back
Top Bottom